In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 33 Non Members

Formula One 2018

Sport

Comments

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Good move I reckon.
    Makes them effectively a factory team, and gives them a chance (to get to the top).
    With Renault best they can do is be one of.
  • PAULPAUL    2,665 posts
    edited July 2018
    From the F1 & MotoGP 2017 thread
    paraletic said:

Lewis ate massive dick on 2nd corner. At least it will be a race 2nite and not a snore fest

Yeah, it was nice to see a good race for a change. They tend to co-incide with the races where Hamilton gets into trouble. Vettel joins another four-time champion, Alain Prost, for third on all-time wins with 51.

Top 10 in Silverstone
    VET, HAM, RAI, BOT, RIC, HUL, OCO, ALO, MAG, PER.

Battle of the 4-time Champions
    VET 171, HAM 163.

Battle for 3rd place
    RAI 116, RIC 106, BOT 104, VER 93.

Battle for Best of the Rest
    HUL 42, ALO 40, MAG 39, SAI 28, OCO 25, PER 24.

Constructors Championship
    FER 287, MER 267, RBR 199, REN 70, HAA 51, FOR 49.
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Well, it was fun while it lasted. Daniel wont be winning a race again signing with Renault.
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Yes...i was surprised to hear that news.
    Good move I reckon.
    As time goes on RB would have started emphasising more and more on Max (eg VET / WEB) and he’d get lost in that system.
    Red Bull not a championship winning car anyway so no difference there with Renault.
    Only changed from #3 to #4 - so not that big a deal.
    Big changes in the aero package (front wing) next season which is red bulls biggest advantage lost.
    Then no doubt Renault offered him twice the money...... easy decision.
    Alonso is retiring from F1 at the end of the season.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/8/breaking--alonso-to-step-away-from-f1-at-end-of-2018.html

If Red Bull decide not to put Sainz in the 2nd car alongside Verstappen, I wouldn't be surprised to see him leading the McLaren team next season, alongside either Vandoorne or Lando Norris (currently racing in F2).
    edited August 2018
    PAUL said:
    No real surprise, already contracted with Toyota to run in the 2018/19 World Endurance Championship and there would of been a conflict of dates, the Australian GP was on the same day as the 1000 Miles of Sebring race. Will more than likely race IndyCars with a McLaren-backed team next year, trying to complete the "Triple Crown" (Monaco GP, Le Mans 24 Hours and Indianapolis 500) and perhaps become just the 5th driver to win both a F1 and IndyCar title (after Mario Andretti, Emerson Fittipaldi, Nigel Mansell and Jacques Villeneuve).
    I'd be more surprised if he'd continued on, yes.
    PAUL said:

If Red Bull decide not to put Sainz in the 2nd car alongside Verstappen, I wouldn't be surprised to see him leading the McLaren team next season, alongside either Vandoorne or Lando Norris (currently racing in F2).

Sainz has signed a multi-year deal with McLaren.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/8/sainz-signs-multi-year-deal-with-mclaren.html
    Which must mean Red Bull are going to go with Gasly...
    Tivers said:

Which must mean Red Bull are going to go with Gasly...

Bingo
    PAUL said:

Lando Norris confirmed to drive the 2nd car at McLaren in 2019.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/9/norris-to-partner-sainz-at-mclaren-in-2019.html
    edited September 2018
    Kimi driving for Sauber for next two years.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnlCYA-hWBD/?utm_source=ig_embed_loading

Leclerc has also been confirmed at Ferrari for 2019.
    edited September 2018
    Team orders strikes again ...

Russian GP
    Hamilton 1st, Barrichello (sorry, I mean Bottas) 2nd, Vettel 3rd, Raikkonen 4th, Verstappen 5th, Ricciardo 6th.

HAM now 50 points (equivalent of 2 race wins) ahead of VET with five races to go.

Drivers Standings
    HAM 306, VET 256, BOT 189, RAI 186, VER 158, RIC 134.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    anyone cop the drive of verstappen? 
    the first 8-9 laps was quite incredible. 
    i'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm actually starting to come around to him...............

Easy to forget when these guys do and say stupid things that they're just kids (in Max's case - coming in so young).
    21 year old is astounding... to be at that level... 
    And it's his 3rd (4th ?) season !
    edited October 2018
    Tivers said:

And it's his 3rd (4th ?) season !

4th season, debuted in Melbourne 2015 for Scuderia Toro Rosso, aged 17 years 166 days. With the new requirements for Superlicences to drive in F1, its unlikely his record (for the youngest driver to race in F1 and youngest driver to score points in a F1 race) will ever be beaten. From memory, he retired from a points-paying position in that race with an engine problem. He scored points in the next race, a fortnight later, with a 7th place finish in Malaysia.
    With HAM winning again, this time at Suzuka, with VET only finishing 6th, it now gives HAM a 67-point lead with just 4 races to go. BOT 2nd, VER 3rd, RIC 4th, RAI 5th.

Next race is in Austin in a fortnight, a track where HAM has won the last 4 times (2014-17). If he wins again and VET doesn't finish 2nd, he'll wrap up the title.
    The ferraris will struggle to beat the red bulls in austin, barring mechanicals.
    So every chance...
    BWOAH! Kimi finally gets a win.

A couple of F1 records:
    • Biggest gap between wins (in races), 113 races; his previous win was 2013 Australian GP, in a Lotus-Renault.
    • Biggest gap between first and last wins, 15 years; his first win was 2003 Malaysian GP, in a McLaren-Mercedes.
    To be fair - could / should have won numerous others in the interim.
    Just just had to pull over and let VET through
    edited October 2018
    Absolutely, totally agree. It was just nice to see him win again.

The last time a driver, aged 39 or older, won a GP was Nigel Mansell, who was 41 when he won the 1994 Australian GP at Adelaide, in a Williams-Renault. Kimi turned 39 last Wednesday.
    Watching it again now.
    Good race.
    Red Bull's lost the plot.
    If I was RIC I'd ask for release on my contract now - on grounds of incompetance.

TheDiva, Thunderstruck likes this post.

and wasnt it not too long ago they asked verstappen and ricciardo to apologise to the rest of the team for crashing into each other? I thought that was a bit rich... 
    At which Grand Prix (during this season) will Kvyat replace Gasly in the second Red Bull ?
    So we've found the answer re RIC.................. Turns out he's actually driving a (yellow) Ferrari !
    (Goes good in straight lines, only).
    edited September 2019
    The first time since 2008, that Ferrari has managed to win three consecutive Grand Prix (Raikonnen and Massa won four in a row, at Malaysia, Bahrain, Spain and Turkey). Probably too late to factor in either championships for this season, with only six races remaining, but hopefully a promising sign that perhaps finally we'll have a season-long battle for the titles in 2020. Then they'll change the regulations for 2021.

CHAMPIONSHIPS (after 15/21 races)
    HAM 298, BOT 233, LEC 200, VER 200, VET 194.
    MER 527, FER 394, RBR 289.