G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 33 Non Members

Where are WA Metro winners bred ?

Breeding
DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
edited August 2018 Breeding
I have always thought that its getting harder and harder to beat some of the Interstate bred horses compared to local WA bred horses running in midweek and Saturday races in metro Perth, so from time to time I will update this list and see where it finishes at the end of the season. I was prompted by the first two races today being won by Bob Peters horses and of course none of his are bred here. Prior to today, there were just four meetings held due to weather cancellations.

After four meetings 14 winners have come from Interstate matings and 18 from WA matings. There were a further two making a total of 20, but those races did not have a single Interstate bred horse to contend with. 
+1 -1

RIO likes this post.

Comments

• GrantyGranty    32 posts
    Will be an interesting exercise Damien as the season progresses.
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Will watch with much interest
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    I will run an additional list for black type
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    edited August 2018
    Be interesting to detail on stakes / $ earned too.
    I'm more than happy to forego a couple of points in ability, to be able to collect twice the stake per win (ie + WestSpeed).

Obviously that's only for E/s purchased...............not WA bred, to E/s Sires.
    After five meetings the standings are as follows:

Metro Wed & Sat winners

Interstate bred winners 16

WA bred winners 24 (+2 non contested)

Listed and Group

Interstate bred 1

WA bred 0

paraletic, RIO, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Very early on but 40% at this stage
    Black type will be more than 50% I'm guessing

RIO likes this post.

After six meetings the standings are:

Metro Wed & Sat winners

Interstate bred 20 

WA bred 28 + 2

* If this was just Saturday's, where of course you could argue that there are better quality races, then the numbers are Interstate 10 WA 13 + 1 with the only black type race so far this season going to an Interstate bred runner

Listed and Group unchanged
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Starting too look like Westspeed isnt all that effect!!
    Works for me - I won't touch non WestSpeed horses.
    Tivers said:

Works for me - I won't touch non WestSpeed horses.

Usually that is a criteria for me as well but the Foxwedge I bought in February was a nice Colt. But this isn't just about buying Westspeed, because a lot of these Interstate sired winners actually have the standard Westspeed attached as they were bred by WA interests. What I'm suggesting by running these numbers is that throwing more incentives at WA bred horses to win Saturday races is a false flag, as a hell of a lot of Interstate bred horses win Saturday's regardless of bonus scheme or not.

The reason 2yo races largely remain in the hands of WA bred horses is that the majority of Interstate bred winners are in the 3yo plus category. For instance, Bob Peters rarely starts an early 2yo prospect, occasionally late in the season when they are almost 3yo but I can't recall seeing his colors in say lead up races to a Karrakatta Plate. Stables like Gangemi's tend to have more success in that similar vein as well. Interstate bred 2yo wins are more likely found in recent seasons via Simon Miller with Whispering Brook and the  like.

RIO likes this post.

I did look through the last eleven Karrakatta Plate winners, as I thought they would be dominated by WA bred winners, but it is 6 to 5 Interstate over local bred.
    Would it not be fair to suggest that the winners (runners even) by E/s sires are generally going to(all) be out of top / higher quality mares - as no one would buy from, or send to crap mares from East.
    Whereas the WA sired runners are going to be from across the board mares.

So bit skewed to the Easts favour to say it's just the sires getting those results.
    Also on top of that you have E/s proven horses being brought in - tipping the results further that way.

On the flipside you could also say WA sires represent what, 5% of the stallion population ?
    And are producing > 50% of the winners...........
    Metro Wed & Sat winners

Interstate bred 21 

WA bred 34 + 2

After seven meetings
    How many of each group were WestSpeed ?
    Tivers said:

How many of each group were WestSpeed ?

maybe for another day, that's more work again looking at the three year olds and those maidens 4+ then 1800M +

RIO likes this post.

Metro Wed & Sat winners - up to 1st Sept

Interstate bred 21

WA bred 42 + 2

Stakes Winners

Interstate 1

WA 1

*all eight races on Saturday were won by WA bred horses incl the Listed Race
    Metro Wed & Sat winners - up to 5th Sept

Interstate bred 25

WA bred 45 + 3

Stakes Winners

WA 1

Interstate 1
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    That's closer to what i was expecting....Think a 30% east coast bred will be where it ends up
    Metro Wed & Sat winners - up to 9th Sept

Interstate bred 30

WA bred 48 + 3

SW unchanged
    Metro & Wed winners - up to 12th Sept

Interstate bred 31

WA bred 55 + 3

SW unchanged

RIO likes this post.

Metro Wed & Sat winners - up to 15th Sept

Interstate bred 34

WA bred 58 + 5

SW

Interstate 1

WA 1 + 1

Metro winners - up to 19th Sept

Interstate bred 40

WA bred 61 + 5

SW unchanged
    Wasn’t there a Stakes race Saturday ?
    Tivers said:

Wasn’t there a Stakes race Saturday ?

That's the +1 as there were no Interstate bred horses in that field.

Time permitting on Friday, I will go back to the start of the current season and filter through results for those that were Westspeed and won, and those that were not and won.
    After 22nd September

Interstate bred 42

WA bred 67 + 5
    I'm also going to run another list alongside this one which will be for Westspeed (including extra) / Westspeed Platinum / Non Westspeed winners of two and three year old runners. (I won;t be including Maiden winners of 4yo+ or 1800M distance wins of 4yo+)

Currently it stands at:

Westspeed 12

Platinum 2

Non qualified 3

Gilgamesh, Manchild likes this post.

It should be noted that Bob Peters only pays up for the base level of Westspeed, not the Extra. He doesn't qualify for the Platinum level as all of his are served in the East. Like I have said before, he tends to stay away from 2YO races, at least early in the season, so the locals have a real chance of improving their numbers starting in a few weeks.

Right now the Platinum scheme is failing to reap rewards, between non qualified and Bob's runners, that is around half of the current winners. That may change with the advent of 2YO's. Time will tell.

RIO likes this post.

After 26 September

Interstate bred 43

WA bred 74 + 5

Westspeed 13

Platinum 2

Non qualified 3
    After 29th September

Interstate bred 46

WA bred 79 + 5