G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 25 Non Members

Chicago Bull Runs 3rd on Oaks Day????

Harness & Greyhounds
No respect for Chicago Bull, as the ruling class blue bloods from the Born To Rule set allow the name to be used on a 2 year old.....try naming your next standardbred Winx, or So You Think and see how you get on. At least Standard Bred naming has integrity and respect. Pretty insulting I reckon but it won't worry that lot as they strut around the paddock suited up to the nines along with their top hats and fascinators.

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited November 2018
    Can anyone remember the name of the horse that ran in an Interdominion series in the 90's that had the same pronunciation as a very famous WA race horse of the eighties ?
    Not sure though if had same spelling.
    The name of the pacer that ran in the Perth Interdominion series mid 1990's and had the same name as a famous West Australian 1980's racehorse - Placid Arc.

curmudgeon, cisco likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    Placid Arc's name was allowed by NZ Harness racing, prior to its importation firstly to SA and then on to WA. Trained by Russell Atthowe for Barrie Deveraux, the bloke that owned all the chicken farms out Maddington way....different spelling to the great Placid Ark (1983 to 1988) but should not have been allowed in NZ. He was foaled in 1986, never raced until he was 4 year old for Stormonts.....these days, you would be pulled up on that name as you tried to register it in Australia.......adding a My or an Our or an Im to the front.

VillageKid likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    JJ I remember when my name sake was dominating the pacing tracks around the state and country and the airwaves here in the West in the late 80s winning everything from the Interdominion, 2 x Miracle Miles, 4 x WA Pacing Cups, 2 x Fremantle Cups, APC etc and the local Thoroughbreds authority allowed a galloper of the exact same name and spelling to start racing here in WA....a total stuff you lot, up yours insult to the WATA not too mention the galloper VK variety was a complete donkey who wasnt fit enough to carry Willys gear bag to the track as he would have struggled to win a Maiden at the Landor races!!

Ridersonthestorm33, JayJay likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Australian Thoroughbred Hall of Fame member Amounis is currently represented by a horse of the same name racing in WA.

The current Amounis is doing little to enhance the reputation of the former champion but at least they were born nearly 100 years apart.
    Mistakes occur because some "administrators" don't have an appreciation of history or nostalgia or simply don't do their research....that can happen but in general terms, the naming of Harness horses have much more integrity than the Thoroughbreds. As a basic principle, champs, classic winners, Grand Circuit winners etc should be protected for ever, so no "Amounis" situations come up again....and certainly the use of Village Kids name is just plain arrogance.
  • KTQKTQ    319 posts
    There's a Let's Elope in NZ
    edited November 2018
    Same name as a Caulfied Cup & Melbourne Cup winner. Dosen't seem right...the Kiwis should know better.
    Came to Victoria in about 2014 and kept exactly the same name.
  • Kane_26Kane_26    88 posts
    edited November 2018
    There's a So You Think pacer aswell, maybe we need to stop being so precious. There is a basketball team called the Chicago Bull's what's to say it's not named after the basketball team?

If it is named after bully I don't think senior or junior would care and neither would the owners, in fact I say they would be proud that someone from the thoroughbred world have stood up and taken notice of our great sport! Plus if it is a star and the stories gets out how he got his name that can only be good for our industry.
    Could be a chicken/egg situation with the So You Thinks as they were foaled within 12 months of each other......don't think it is a matter of being precious at all, think it is common sense and respect. Would it be okay to name a pacer Phar Lap or a galloper Im The Mighty Quinn?..not for me.

Betonme likes this post.

Who drove Placid Arc ? Wasn't that far off making the Interdominion Final...ran reasonably ok in the heats...was thinking F.R. Kersley ?

Who drove Placid Arc ? Wasn't that far off making the Interdominion Final...ran reasonably ok in the heats...was thinking F.R. Kersley ?

You could be right there Riders as I remember Fred used to drive another Atthowe trained pacer called Storm Patch (or something similar) around the same era.
    Fred and GJ but Browny drove him in that Interdom Series (the one won by Young Mister Charles) as the Prince was committed to Tabaret.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,888 posts
    A few years ago - there was a maiden galloper going around country Victoria - no good at all - its name " Wellcome Advice " - shouldnt be allowed to happen

But im pretty sure there are some pacers - i think Newcastle area - who have been named after some great gallopers of 60-70s - not Galalee - but around that same era as it and Tobin Bronze 
    Was very young at the time ( still am haha ) but believe forever and a day if Welcome Advice after a brilliant standing start beginning could have had just another inch to squeeze through after the early carnage he wins the Interdominion in Perth that Hondo Grattan won.

Flew off the mark...then poleaxed!
  • jumjum    3,512 posts

Bolshevic won at York Yesterday. $60 plus it paid.

A Bolshevic has been going around in the trots the last few years down south Trained by Paul Straughan and his wife Simone. Tough pacer too run down once gets to the front.

• OffthebitOffthebit    597 posts
    Any galloper, pacer or greyhound that wins a group 1 should have their name protected forever and a day!
    I used to cringe every time i watched lets elope go around at melton. Its the ultimate insult to allow this to happen.

edited December 2018
    Ethereal goes around in Auckland trot two tomorrow - same name and spelling as the champion mare who won the Caulfield & Melbourne Cup double.
    Ethereal was a Kiwi galloper too wasnt it Riders?.....trained by Sheila Laxon?
    edited December 2018
    Yes and yes VK.
    Scott Seamer was the hoop, around the time he had a real purple patch.
    She also won a Tancred or BMW in Sydney when powered home late. Was an amazing performance. Absolute champion in my book.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Think Trevor Jenkins had a monumental collect on Ethereal . Backed her to win the cups double after her Qld Oaks win 

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

He sure did. Think Ethereal had to withstand a protest from Damien Oliver aboard Sky Heights in the Caulfield Cup.

In the Melbourne Cup Scot Seamer found the better going, whereas the guy on Give The Slip hugged the fence where it was a lot slower surface.