G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 32 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread

West Australian Racing

Comments

• Paulo8Paulo8    253 posts
    Hey all, hope you are well. Not sure if this is the right spot for this post, but I got a question;

Why is the time of a horse being scratched so important? Race callers always make a deal of the time for us to note (and I don't know why?).

I hope there is not something glaringly obvious I am overlooking! Thanks in advance.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    It relates to when you might have had your bet.
    If you had your bet BEFORE the time of scratching...there will be a deduction.
    If you had your bet AFTER the time of scratching.... there will be no deduction (to a winning bet).

Paulo8, therealkramer likes this post.

• Paulo8Paulo8    253 posts
    edited January 2019
    TheDiva said:

If you had your bet AFTER the time of scratching.... there will be no deduction (to a winning bet).
    And there you have it, thank you kindly Diva.   :-c

TheDiva, RIO likes this post.

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    Gee Salvara(Esp, r3, $2.30 fav) went like a used car leaving the lot out of the gates there...I'm not suggesting it's the case in this instance-I'll wait for the stewards' report-but it makes you wonder how many horses that pull up are lame before the gates even open
    edited January 2019

Chris Parnham on Friarandice there. Jesus **** christ. Get a clue #2! This guy is the best after Pike!?   :-&

I guess they figured  if #2 couldn't do the job, best call for #1. Pike got the chocolates yesterday and he hadn't ridden the horse previously. Does that make me a jockey manager? I've heard they're bringing in a rule change this year where they can no longer bet though    :)] b-(

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    TheDiva said:

Hence "rule a line" on the betting ledger, I gather.
  • psychopsycho    652 posts
    Tivers said:

TheDiva said:

Hence "rule a line" on the betting ledger, I gather.
    Rule a line in the old days maybe but how do you rule a line on a computer  :)

thefalcon likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    ^^ good point..but there must be some button u can push... :-S
  • psychopsycho    652 posts
    thefalcon said:

^^ good point..but there must be some button u can push... :-S

I am sure there is something in place Falc
    yes, the rule a line was for the old ledgers... anything above the line, was subject to deductions... anything below was not. 
    its one of those old sayings they've hung onto... but the new generation will not understand. 

now, you just hit the scratch button on the computer and it will automatically deduct from any bets prior... and carry on for any bets after. 

In the old days, you'd then have to go back to all the winning bets above the line and calculate each new payout manually. Those were the days! 

jum, therealkramer, RIO, Chelsea likes this post.

edited January 2019
    Gee Hall slaughtered the odds on fav there in the 5th at Albany. :-S
  • chocchoc    788 posts
    On the contrary,
    I’m inclined to believe that Jade McNaught has developed enough to be one of the best Apprentices now going around here.

The Burning Magic ride demonstrates why.
    edited January 2019
    @choc She got all the breaks after the fav went too hard early to sit outside the leader. Rider of the #7 horse is intent on leading and keeps Hall posted. The winner takes a sit and gets cover-only looks a chance in the last 100m after the fav is gassed
  • chocchoc    788 posts
    Was referring to her initially finding the position behind the speed, and then critically never panicking when the run didn’t at first present.

She had then the balls (ovaries?) to take the split and force it through, and push it out to the line,

My impression is that she is gaining some fairly solid confidence with each ride, and win.
    Importantly as a punter, you can then treat her mounts with some confidence, unlike many others where an instant line goes through them

@choc She got all the breaks after the fav went too hard early to sit outside the leader. Rider of the #7 horse is intent on leading and keeps Hall posted. The winner takes a sit and gets cover-only looks a chance in the last 100m after the fav is gassed

They went slower than the maiden
    TheDiva said:

I did notice that. But did they pull up mid race? There's absolutely no question the 7 horse surges through and makes Hall work for the first 400m. It's tough to make two runs in a race no matter how good you are
    i read that race completely differently to you... and a few others I might add. 
  • RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    No excuses for Deangles.It wins and I get the quaddy 20x. 1st up it was great, 2nd and 3rd up very disappointing. The legless 9yo Lion Cruiser was 1st up and ran last only beaten 3.5L. That tells you a bit.
    TheDiva said:

i read that race completely differently to you... and a few others I might add. 

We both have our biases for differing reasons. If that race were run again I'd back Deangles again
    edited January 2019
    Rodent said:

No excuses for Deangles.It wins and I get the quaddy 20x. 1st up it was great, 2nd and 3rd up very disappointing. The legless 9yo Lion Cruiser was 1st up and ran last only beaten 3.5L. That tells you a bit.

Went from a maiden win at Albany to a Saturday race in town beaten 5L at almost 20-1? That's not disappointing. I maintain that working early zaps the finishing sprint out of most if not all horses. Regardless of how severely the handbrake goes on mid race they almost never sprint again when asked. Just an observation but I trust my eye

Rodent said:

Went from a maiden win at Albany to a Saturday race in town beaten 5L at almost 20-1? That's not disappointing. I maintain that working early zaps the finishing sprint out of most if not all horses. Regardless of how severely the handbrake goes on mid race they almost never sprint again when asked. Just an observation but I trust my eye
    I think it rated a lot lower 2nd and 3rd up than it did 1st up. When they go backwards instead of improving as a 3yo, I'd call that disappointing.
     Obviously I rated its maiden win higher than you did and you rated its Ascot run higher than I did. Each to their own.
    edited January 2019
    Rodent said:

Rodent said:

Obviously I rated its maiden win higher than you did and you rated its Ascot run higher than I did. Each to their own.
    You had it in your quaddie 20x though? 
    Yep. I forgave it the Ascot run and thought back at Albany it'd be too good for that lot. It seems it just isn't going as well now.
    Rodent said:

Yep. I forgave it the Ascot run and thought back at Albany it'd be too good for that lot. It seems it just isn't going as well now.

I still think it wasn't that bad. It didn't look vulnerable til the last 50 or so metres-would love to know the betfair flucs of the winner
    Burning magic was a big drifter.
    $3.50 to $5 fixed. Assume betfair similar
    Yeah I meant in the run flucs-I should have clarified that. Your horse actually looms at the 100m, not the 50m, and then the fav is in trouble. It didn't look likely for the previous 100m but I haven't seen the head on angle-there may have been limited  running room
  • MuldoonMuldoon    317 posts
    edited January 2019
    TheDiva said:

Was that the Maiden where the stablemate of the leader won ?

Fairly sure if you watch replay JM was trying to get off inside on corner, but Ellens Choice holds it's position and then she is obligated to look for a split if it came which it did just in time. I thought good ride all round, made Niyachi, Deangles work a bit to lead then sat on them.
  • spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    From 23 January Ascot midweeks will be twilight meetings for 6 weeks running. The first starting mid afternoon with the last half hour before sunset . Good idea I reckon

RIO, thefalcon likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Now they only have to drop there liquid refreshment prices on those Wednesday’s and I would be there better than sitting in the pub

RIO, thefalcon likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited January 2019
    Sandown has the right idea tomorrow; first race 4 o'clock and final race 7.30. The advantage of daylight saving, a true twilight meeting.
    Eight races and half an hour between every event.

hash, oldhendo, thefalcon, Chelsea likes this post.