G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 30 Non Members

Darren Weir's stable raided by police

West Australian Racing

Comments

• spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    A handpeice to load cattle. Cattle yards or stock loaders may have a device but I reckon it might be a bit bigger than a handpiece commonly called a cattle prod . Handpiece to load cattle lol
  • RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    If he gets off with the cattle prod defence, I'd expect any shady trainers to start diversifying into cattle.

therealkramer likes this post.

• JiggersnJuiceJiggersnJuice    10 posts
    Systemic underbelly of racing exposed but is it a drop in the ocean what about the ones who don't get caught !

Have to admit it wasn't till I started owning horses that I discovered some of the bizzare things that go on.

I said to a trainer one day who ran a dead set lame as a duck horse in a 4 horse race at Dongara.

How desperate do you have to be mate for a cheque to do that.

He replied desperate enough for my kids to eat this week!
    Anyway hasn't stopped me from punting on any day that ends in y yet.

However I'm starting to think fishing may be a better hobby lol.

RIO, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts

I said to a trainer one day who ran a dead set lame as a duck horse in a 4 horse race at Dongara.

How desperate do you have to be mate for a cheque to do that. 

Epic failure by the stewards there. Ditto the jockey who would have known trotting the horse round to the gates...however, do they care as much away from the city? Idk? 
    edited February 2019
    @JiggersnJuice

Now that Weir is either finished or suspended/disqualified I guess that makes a certain Sydney stable the most successful in the country. I wonder how they do it? O:-)

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    it is impossible for one person to cope with 600+ horses no matter how many managers etc or whatever he calls them.
    I feel for the stablehands and track work riders not to mention a hefty office staff whos livelihoods are stuffed.

DamienWyer likes this post.

• thefalcon said:

it is impossible for one person to cope with 600+ horses no matter how many managers etc or whatever he calls them.
    I feel for the stablehands and track work riders not to mention a hefty office staff whos livelihoods are stuffed.

How are they stuffed??? The racing industry is the most insular on the planet. Every single staff member will get new jobs

RIO, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    Statement from whispering brook on Facebook

I would like to tell you I remain with Darren & have no intention of moving trainers, unless his appeal on Monday fails and he cannot continue to nominate or accept races. If that occurs then & only then would I return to Simon as my trainer.
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    edited February 2019
    Nevershowsurprise Quote.... The racing industry is the most insular on the planet. 
    Insular and incestuous

thefalcon, RIO, Amyquil likes this post.

• AmyquilAmyquil    250 posts
    edited February 2019
    Speaking of insular: they obviously have no idea how the industry is perceived.
    All these media apologists and dependants saying, as they always do, this is bad for racing.
    No. This is good for racing. If everybody outside of the sport assumes this shit (and worse) goes on then it is best that the industry is prepared to punish wrongdoers. It gives confidence to me that there is at least a willingness (in certain jurisdictions) to stamp it out.
    It's about time media identities publicly disassociate with these people and also stop inviting them onto their programs. How many crooks have we heard interviewed on the radio.
    How many times was Smerdon interviewed on air after the excuse of the positive swab resulting from the horse consuming hay that a drug taking stable hand had urinated on. I had no idea that horses liked urine.
    Fair dinkum! I guess while I have my intelligence insulted our media find it a great laugh.
    These trainers are people defrauding other trainers, owners and punters yet they are welcomed back with open arms. But he's a great bloke!
    And as far as I'm concerned that goes for vanilla essence and Vicks practitioners as well because we know what that's all about
    This industry is its own worst enemy and if it comes crashing down only morons will be blaming the animal lobby. No one shoots themselves in the foot like the clowns in this industry
    edited February 2019
    I guess the thought that really concerns me is the possibility that the reason no offender is shunned by their peers is because they're all doing it and they all know they're all doing it. Hopefully not. If so, it certainly will all come crashing down
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    Great work with those comments Amyquil. A very accurate assessment.

davidh, RIO, thefalcon, carey likes this post.

edited February 2019
    Thanks Slip, I guess as an outsider you can only guess what goes on. If these incidents (Aquanita, Weir, cobalt) keep occurring the only answer may be an amnesty
    @Amyquil So what happens to non-triers if trainers stop using jiggers? Furthermore, what happens when they ban the whip, which they eventually will. It's all well and good for the industry to cut of its nose to spite its face but there will be no industry left to worry about soon enough
  • careycarey    6,368 posts

@Amyquil So what happens to non-triers if trainers stop using jiggers? Furthermore, what happens when they ban the whip, which they eventually will. It's all well and good for the industry to cut of its nose to spite its face but there will be no industry left to worry about soon enough

in none had a whip, it will take punters 1 millisecond to forget they ever had them.
    it certainly won't have any bearing on if racing can sustain itself.
    racing has far bigger problems than that.

Ridersonthestorm33, Amyquil likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited February 2019
    Trainer Matt Cumani in relation to jiggers questioned their ability to get horses to perform at their best. He said it goes against his whole training ethos.

Cumani - "Sounds painful and cruel and has no place in this sport".

Desperado, RIO likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    My turn to play devils advocate now. And I am not condoning it by any stretch, but how much pain does a AA or AAA or twelve volt battery actually deliver. Not used as much today due to more rigorous policing of the industry, but as someone mentioned the percentage of trainers who have ever used one would be high
    edited February 2019

Trainer Matt Cumani in relation to jiggers questioned their ability to get horses to perform at their best. He said it goes against his whole training ethos.

Cumani - "Sounds painful and cruel and has no place in this sport".

And yet he has no place within the top 20 trainers of the Melb. metro premiership

• bradybrady    1,452 posts
    Well Done Amyquil
    Post of the Year !

Amyquil likes this post.

edited February 2019

Jeez, you sound like Andrew Carter. The essence being: "Don't punish the guy for breaking the rules; it is a bad rule".
    I've no interest in debating jiggers, I know nothing about them. What I want is for rule breakers who are seeking an unfair advantage to be exposed, banned and shunned by all.

And let's face it: it doesn't take any great talent to be a cheat; you're not some evil genius. You're just lacking in morality and willing to stoop to a level others aren't.

@Amyquil You're missing the point. Cumani is not exactly training winners at a good clip so if you don't need to cheat to win why can't he win? Weir's rivals can point the finger all they like so long as they're not the ones under the microscope. I wonder how many 'graves' were dug on properties after last week's raids?  :-? :-S
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    I read about jiggers and their use.
    I understand that it is used in training and then on raceday the action of using the jigger is replicated so the horse thinks it is going to get a shock and hence runs faster.
    What is the action that is used and who does it, the jockey ?

RIO likes this post.

• ToepuntitToepuntit    241 posts
    detonator said:

I understand that it is used in training and then on raceday the action of using the jigger is replicated so the horse thinks it is going to get a shock and hence runs faster.

Usually a couple jabs in the neck with the but of the whip, from what I understand

RIO likes this post.

• detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    edited February 2019
    Toepuntit said:

detonator said:

Usually a couple jabs in the neck with the but of the whip, from what I understand

So unless the jockey knows about it and is in on it, then doing it in the training of the horse won't always achieve the desired result come race day ??

RIO likes this post.

It's getting REALLY wild on twitter...there's a so called track worker who has been called out about selling dud tips of supposedly fixed races. The only screen shot I saw was of one in the UK but he was tweeting abt looking for a new job in Melb after Weir got in strife...has since deleted his twitter :)]
    edited February 2019
  • ToepuntitToepuntit    241 posts
    It's like a trainer telling a jock to ride a bit longer in the irons and use his/her legs, usually a sign that the horse has copped it pretty hard with a set of Rowley spurs during the week, a bit of a bump with the jocks dummy spurs will get a better response
    edited February 2019
    Looks like Weir & Mclean may not even try to fight the show cause hearing

RIO likes this post.