G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 16 Non Members

Top 50 Western Australian Pacers of All Time

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Riders just for the record there were two Kevin Baileys. Headliner Kevin bailey won a derby on that horse and then disappeared. Long shot Kevin bailey worked for Mike Read and last I saw was the starter at the trots, although not sure if he still is, but yes he was a good driver just never got the opportunities.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Gepetto said:

Markovina said:

Who was that very good horse of Colin Joss - could race in the death and win

I can remember when it came over for a Sydney interdom series - the late Michael Ilsey ( one of old Joes 14 kids ) drove it through the series for Joss

Would it be Palimar?
    Thats the one - a Michael Frost type of horse - very honest

My memory says it might have won won a heat of that Syd Inter Dom at HP  on opening night - facing the breeze because i was their

True story - might have been that night or a NSW Derby final night at HP - sitting in the grandstand -( and what use to infuriate me - theve gone half a lap- and people are still trying to get a seat - saying politely excuse me  excuse me - so you will pull your legs in so they can proceed ) and im watching the race intensely - and im just about to say -look and go and get feucked - and i looked up and it was Vinny Knight and his brother in law Stephen Dove !!!

Offthebit, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Was Palimar owned by George Griljusich. If it is the one I'm thinking about he won the WA Derby whilst the great George Griljusich called the race. Was trained by G Harper to win the derby.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    No, Palimar was bred by Bill Godecke, he was by Mint Condition. George bless him sadly never won the Derby, the closest he went was with Prince Palladin 2nd in one of those "Australian Derby" races they held way back then. G. Harper trained 3 Derby winners, didn't drive any of them....Arden Meadow (Hayden Fisher), Chandon (FRK) and Mr Yankee (Kade Howson).

VillageKid likes this post.

Maybe it was Prince Palladin I am thinking of.
    edited February 2019
    George did own one of the horses that won at Richmond Raceway's final meeting on April 12 1991, Icangoe trained and driven by Colin Joss. Remarkably, for someone who lived and breathed trotting in Fremantle and who had icon status at the course, he wasn't in attendance, nor did he back it. One of the most superstitious blokes ever to draw breath, he reasoned that as one of the worlds great 'Kiss of death" owners and punters, he would sadly not attend his favourite track and given his ability to stop trains, he would give the horse every chance by not backing it. He was at Subiaco Oval calling an Eagles game but did sneak out the back of the box to listen to the call on his transistor. When he re entered the box smiling, the other callers breathed a sigh of relief, as did the TV monitor and the partition wall, both of which had been brutally attacked with George's large fist on previous occasions when his horses had run second. There was and always will be only one George.....Love him or loathe him, I miss him greatly compared to the dull old lot that bore me senseless these days.
    Jossie & George what combination. Sure Colin would have some funny stories.

JayJay, VillageKid, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    George was just a master on the radio a genuis.
    He used to infuriate me at times with his bias towards SF when calling games against my beloved SD in the WAFL and at times with his comments on the sports talk back of a Saturday morning but I was listening every week and he had hooked me in.
    One of his last parts on radio 6pr before he passed away was a fantastic weekly WA history piece for Bob Maumill on a Wednesday afternoon it was fascinating radio, he is sorely missed.

JayJay, Ridersonthestorm33, Offthebit likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    Gepetto said:

I remember Allwood`s Chief winning a feature race in VIc for Justin Warwick.

I used to have the video ( not sure if it still exists on the net somewhere)

The memorable part was Justins early celebration in the home straight (nearly fell out the cart from my vague memory).

Think it had a bit to do with the Melbourne press negativity about Allwoods previous life in Vic & SA as a Claimer and country class performer.

I went on to Harnessweb to look up Allwoods Chief and have spent the last hour looking through late 90s early 2000 results. The names I remember better than where I left my keys!

Highly recommend having a look

Gepetto likes this post.

If anyone has Saabs Pacing Cup win somewhere load it up!
    Gepetto said:

I remember Allwood`s Chief winning a feature race in VIc for Justin Warwick.

I used to have the video ( not sure if it still exists on the net somewhere)

The memorable part was Justins early celebration in the home straight (nearly fell out the cart from my vague memory).

Think it had a bit to do with the Melbourne press negativity about Allwoods previous life in Vic & SA as a Claimer and country class performer.

1997 Legends Mile? I remember everyone rubbishing him for entering the upside down jelly bean in that race and JTW having the last laugh.

Gepetto likes this post.

He used to infuriate me at times with his bias towards SF when calling games against my beloved SD in the WAFL and at times with his comments on the sports talk back of a Saturday morning but I was listening every week and he had hooked me in.
    One of his last parts on radio 6pr before he passed away was a fantastic weekly WA history piece for Bob Maumill on a Wednesday afternoon it was fascinating radio, he is sorely missed.
    My dear old mother god bless her soul - she use to say to me  the highlight ( or most entertaining ) of the olympics for her - was listening to George and i think his sidekick Benny Pike calling the boxing - she said she would be killing herself laughing

One thing George use to emphasise and i agree with him - in team sports -doesnt matter if it is Football Cricket Soccer or whatever  its best and most interesting when there is a champion team

You take cricket -ive had virtually zero interest in it for 20 years - but when the West Indies had that champion side - with the 4 terrifying fast bowlers - i didnt care which country they were playing - id watch or listen to it - to see if that side could actually beat them
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Markovina said:

My dear old mother god bless her soul - she use to say to me  the highlight ( or most entertaining ) of the olympics for her - was listening to George and i think his sidekick Benny Pike calling the boxing - she said she would be killing herself laughing

One thing George use to emphasise and i agree with him - in team sports -doesnt matter if it is Football Cricket Soccer or whatever  its best and most interesting when there is a champion team

You take cricket -ive had virtually zero interest in it for 20 years - but when the West Indies had that champion side - with the 4 terrifying fast bowlers - i didnt care which country they were playing - id watch or listen to it - to see if that side could actually beat them
    Benny Pike /G Grljusich classic....one Olympics or another. " Gee Bennie ...this bloke can throw some leather .....he might wear himself out "  ...... "He'll be orright George ....the shortest distance between point A and point B is a straight left " .... :D

Markovina, JayJay, savethegame likes this post.

edited February 2019
    Your dear old Mum was on the money Marko, the George and Benny show was radio broadcasting at it's finest. You wouldn't know it from listening to them but they were as thick as thieves and when Benny received news that George was seriously unwell, he dropped everything and flew to Perth to be with him for a few days.When it came time for Benny to fly home, George was in the car that took him to the airport.....and they clasp hands out the window as the car pulled away until they could no longer maintain a hold and Benny headed into the departure lounge sobbing with tears. One of the greatest commentary partnerships of all time.

"He hit him with a good right there Benny"..."Missed him by a foot George, what are you watching?" "Oh I dont know about that Benny, it's rocked the boy from Cuba" "Like being hit with a wet lettuce leaf George, your Mum could throw a better right"....Geez, it was hilarious and absolutely compelling radio.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    george;;gee benny that was the hardest fought round ive seen for years no quarter given by either boxer,;;;;;;benny;;; as nearly as hard as the four years i done in grade 7

Benny;;;;;george the aussie boy needs to get the combo,going straight left,rightcross.,lefthook, rightuppercut,;;;;;;;George only trouble is getting the cuban  to stay still long enough so he can deliver the combo.benny.

curmudgeon, JayJay, VillageKid, oldhendo likes this post.

edited January 2020
    JayJay said:

Copy of a piece on Boof done about 5 years ago. Great innings from a bloke that got his first horse at 4 year old and walked it from what is now the Southlands Shopping Centre to Fremantle. They threw away the mold when they  made blokes like Boof.

Boof Anderson.....it would be easy to classify Dudley Anderson, Laurie Robinson (and to a lesser extent Alby Harman and Neville Brindley) as farriers that trained and drove a bit. Far from it, they were far more significant than that. I was really pleased to see that Boof was still hail and hearty at 85 years young after decades of back breaking work bending over the bellows in the blacksmith shop, solving other peoples problems. Great unsung heroes of the game, no doubt about that. It is well documented the role that Boof played in spotting Village Kid in NZ whilst negotiating to get Al Pacino, who was more than handy in winning 17 races. How his life would have changed had he taken up the option on Willie before alerting Bill Horn to his potential, after, of course, rectifying his shoeing to overcome knee knocking.  I recall the grey with black star colours of Boof but searching past winners has been tricky. Southern Knight was arguably the best horse that he trained ...although the great Royal Force may have been the best he drove in winning the Miracle Mile and Pacing Cup heats. Southern Knight raced as a 2YO winning a heat of the Group 1 Pearl in February 1992 followed by a 4th to Jim Beam in the final. He won first up at Fremantle as a 3YO the following October with Alby Harman running 2nd with Equal Justice, a quinella for the Farriers. He then lost form with only a Pinjarra win from his next 13 starts before beginning a run of 5 city wins from his next 7 starts leading up to December 1993. He had arrived. 2nd to Flashing Star in the $100k Golden Nugget in January 1994 was followed by a 1.58 win in the Frosty Nelson Stakes. Then followed a 1994 Pinjarra Cup Win, a 2nd in the Bunbury Cup and a 2nd to Norms Daughter in the 4YO Championship. In the 1995 Pacing Cup Series, he won 2 Preludes and was 2nd to Justaboyden in the final. He campaigned in Victoria, 2nd to Brabham in the ANL FFA at the Valley and in Impressionists 1995 Inters in Christchurch, he ran 3rd to Chokin in a heat and was 3rd in the Consolation. He raced on and in 1997, he won another prelude of the Pacing Cup before finishing 3rd to Our Sir Vancelot in the final. 14 wins, 14 2nds and 10 3rds and $220k ...a marvelous horse. Boof had other feature race wins....Shirley Reid in the 1966 Pinjarra Cup, Smooth Dave for Ross Olivieri in both the Western Gateway Pace and the WA Derby, beating Classic Gary, in 1982. He also won the Western Gateway Pace on Judge Thomas in 1987 for the Mitchells, a Bunbury Cup on Abimidas in 1996.....the same night that fellow farrier Laurie Robinson won on Smashing Rate, another strike for the Smithies and he drove Smokey Future to a Pacing Cup consolation for Ray Grantham in 1994, a horse he drove many times. Bakers Dozen was also a more than handy horse winning 10 races around 1990/91.  For all that, I am sure there are many others that I have missed......he had a very good mare called Rundales Crown and plenty of others that I have missed, with Another Party in his care at one stage. Boof received an Australian Harness Racing Award back in about 2006 for services to the Industry....who could argue against it? As I say, apologies if I have short changed him but it's the best I can come up with.

VillageKid, savethegame likes this post.

edited January 2020
    Mucked that up completely, didn't I? Feeling like a dill. Meant to say bought his first horse at age 14 for 4 quid.
    Been a bad couple of weeks....Joe Petricevich, Gavin Anderson, Vince Alabisi and now Boof. The old undertaker always wins out. No doubt the fraternity will do as it always does and support all in need of it.

VillageKid, savethegame likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Some very nice horses you have listed above that Boof trained or drove JJ.
    Southern Knight gee he had a withering finishing burst.
    Royal Force (Miracle Mile winner), Smooth Dave, Abmidas, Another Party, Smokey Future etc.
    Bakers Dozen was a more than handy filly as well I can remember her winning races at GP.

R.I.P Boof

savethegame likes this post.

Seeing this thread has been bumped and rightly so - when i think of Dudley Anderson i immediately think of Royal Force - i might be wrong - but that horse was Jet Black 

Like i love sit sprinters - over east horses like Mitchell Victory Koala King Markovina and add to that list Gundary Flyer - i saw that in a Kilmore Cup - bombed the start by about 100 metres - but in the back straight the last time it let rip with this unbelievable sprint - only finished midfield - but it was exciting 

As for WA - I didnt see Mount Eden - but my vote for pure excitement  goes to Black Irish - that horse had an unbelievable sprint - which very few  horses possessed  . For pure excitement i reckon Black Irish is right at the top of the tree

Correct Marko, he was jet black and a very dangerous horse to have sitting on your back turning for home. He blew Steelo away one night with a devastating burst and Black Irish could really muster quickly as well but the fastest "let go" I ever witnessd was Justaboyden when Chooky drove him in the  Pacing Cup. Was and remains an unbelievable turn of foot.

savethegame, squid69, VillageKid likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Chooky may have well felt afraid of being thrown into the outside wall Justaboyden was going so fast. I have watched a few races in my time but that sprint was the most devastating that I have seen.

Paul "Dodger" Dyson had a nice bet with me at around 6/1 to.

JayJay, savethegame, VillageKid likes this post.

There were more raised eyebrows that night than when someone flicked on the spotlights at a midnight nudists dance. I'll try and dig up the replay....unbelievable.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Difficult to knock these ones for finishing efforts...
    Royal Force - just recall him - brilliant sprint.
    Justaboyden - Pacing Cup.
    Beefy T - Golden Nugget.
    I'm The Mighty Quinn - GP & Menangle Inters.

savethegame, VillageKid likes this post.

edited February 2020
    That piece of speed Justaboyden, was a sight to see.1995 pacing cup.

After ausdrill won the naming rights for the 96 inters I,was asked to  help find  a horse to race for the ausdrill syd. at the inters---Can't remember exact months---Justaboyden name was put forward as for sale 100k-,There were names going left & right and centre, even Tibet usa took centre stage from a different quarter,for a week.

Anyway I put a line straight through  justaboyden's name think at the time, he hadn't raced for 9-10 months---,anyway as time progressed it was 18 months before he raced again after his pacing cup victory for 3 ordinary performances..

Ridersonthestorm33, VillageKid likes this post.

edited February 2020
    Not a WA horse but because of Hunter Cup week...2008 Hunter Cup 14 runners - Smokin Up and Safari hitting top gear down the Moonee Valley back straight, quarter in a slick 27.5...who's third last in the three wide train ready to build up - Blacks A Fake.

Picked up Smokin Up in the shadows of the post.

A classic Hunter Cup.

One night towards the end of his career saw a horse dash past Smokin Up as if he was standing still - Smokin Up glanced up and said no you don't, one of the rare breed who could give when their was nothing more to give.

• squid69squid69    1,434 posts

Difficult to knock these ones for finishing efforts...
    Royal Force - just recall him - brilliant sprint.
    Justaboyden - Pacing Cup.
    Beefy T - Golden Nugget.
    I'm The Mighty Quinn - GP & Menangle Inters.

@JayJay, I’ve got the Seasons of Glory video that shows the Justaboyden win. He just circled the whole field so quickly it was scary, it was an incredible burst of speed!

savethegame, JayJay, VillageKid likes this post.

edited February 2020
    Riders what a fall from grace--- hunter cup stand 3000m---- nowhere to hide for the  milers the toughest of the toughest. The win pool the other night was 51k.-----Sure Kalgoorlie pacing cup 2900m stand 2012--- 100k. win pool on a Thursday night----but there was two false starts, which allows a pool to grow.

Remmeber seeing  a  pool on hunter cup 14 runners was the biggest for the year. not that long ago.  , was put up on another harness site. including inters final,& m.mile pools.

edited February 2020
    It's the 20/20 cricket mentality stg, reduce field sizes, reduce distance, reduce ( or abolish ) stands, commence meetings in the heat of the day, run WA's premier race before 8 o'clock in the evening and wonder why nobody's on track.

Meanwhile the Busselton & Northam Cup's - evenly handicapped maximum field sizes for respective tracks, traditional distance kept, nearly every horse has a prospect - tactics galore - can't have that can we, let's have the Melton dash for the line over one lap.

Talking literally the Melton dash - races over one lap, not the Hunter Cup although that could've been over one lap the way it was run.

savethegame, VillageKid, Offthebit likes this post.

Believe or not the horse I was pushing for the syd. to purchase for the 96 inters, which I believed was a lot better horse then he was showing,was worth a chance , in a different enviroment. was a horse called long tan glory.-----Who later finished up going to south Australia running at gawler----

Then later sold to America  as a eight year old and winning another 40 races -- to finish with a lifetime mark of 1.51.6  u.s. in his total of 65 wins..
    Would have been a lot cheaper then 150k. given for tabaret  from one Geoff Small----but  to small's defence he said he will not get around g.p. if he hasn't got this gear on him,plus shod with double trailers etc.--

-As most new trainers say when they get a new horse  he doesn't need all of that crap.. He never ever seemed  comfortable at g.p.

Always remembered  long tan glory first run in the state and he took charge of r. hargadon.