In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 26 Non Members

Darren Weir's stable raided by police

West Australian Racing

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited February 2019
    A bit odd, the three other blokes have to departed to where we'll all be going one day...the great racecourse in the sky.
    They might not be talked about...but their not forgotten to a lot of people.

Realise what he's getting at though, an interesting way of putting it.

therealkramer likes this post.

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    edited February 2019
    @Ridersonthestorm33 Those three late trainers have races named in their honour. Fair to say Wayne Hawkes won't ever have that honour bestowed upon him and he will be forgotten a lot quicker than they ever will.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited February 2019
    Would love to hear what Bart Cummings with his dry sense of humour would reply with....
    something along the lines of ...." Hawkes - yes very good trainers - will just check and see how many Melbourne Cups they've won".

They did have one that went close Maluckyday think it was called, ran second or third ? Handy NSW stayer hit a purple patch then lost a bit of form next campaign ?

In fairness too though he wasn't having a go at those guys..and obviously thinks highly of them. Life goes on, is what he was getting at and it certainly does.
    edited February 2019
    @Ridersonthestorm33  Yeah I don't that was his intention but his words were poorly chosen and come across as disrespectful. I think he's wrong if he thinks people will just move on and ignore that both Moody and Weir-two of VIC's most dominant stables in recent times-were rubbed out of the game. Not to mention the cobalt cases involving Kavanagh & O'Brien-albeit they were reinstated after successful appeals. It's probably not as bad as the Tour De France but it is resembling the  Men's 100m-whereby it's only a matter of time before the champ is exposed as a cheat.
    edited February 2019
    Turbulent times - lawyers are having a birthday.
    But as Hawkes said - race one tomorrow - that's what's it's all about.
    edited February 2019
    Had to look it up - it was the 2010 Melbourne Cup that Maluckyday was runner up in. Winner - Geelong Cup victor as well - Americain.

Maluckyday got a lung infection soon afterwards took awhile to recover - came back in 2012 but not reaching the heights he had previously.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    anybody got the mackinnon to show us...I am dumb **** techo wise. love to see a replay of whispering brooks win a week or so ago.
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    paraletic said:

I keep on thinking of that race carey, screaming at the tv willing him to keep on finding. It makes you wonder hey.

Oh and find he did!! That was exhilarating being on for a good amount

paraletic likes this post.

^^^ never bought me a coldie.... :!!
    thefalcon said:

anybody got the mackinnon to show us...I am dumb **** techo wise. love to see a replay of whispering brooks win a week or so ago.

Falc get the racing.com app and just search the horse. You have every replay at your fingertips :)
    ta
    Toepuntit said:

detonator said:

I read about jiggers and their use.
    I understand that it is used in training and then on raceday the action of using the jigger is replicated so the horse thinks it is going to get a shock and hence runs faster.
    What is the action that is used and who does it, the jockey ?

Usually a couple jabs in the neck with the but of the whip, from what I understand

Interesting. @carey might be somewhat right ?

carey likes this post.

thefalcon said:

^^^ never bought me a coldie.... :!!

Mate, Im always good for a buy

thefalcon likes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    Four year ban likely
    The Jig is up it seems
    So the search is on for a new caretaker trainer for Weir. The foreman is taking over in the interim while a new one appointed. Big opportunity for someone out there
    carey said:

All we know so far is they found the jiggers-how frequently they were used and how effective they were in translating to wins is unknown. People saying Prince of Penzance's Cup win is now under a cloud are seriously reaching. The fact that Weir's horses are being dispersed to his  main competition-who we're supposed to assume are 100% on the up-and-up is part of the problem. You can't go from marvelling at Weir's horsemanship one minute and then cast him as the devil incarnate the next. All the while, suspending your disbelief by giving his rivals a free pass.

oh well, i have ALWAYS thought he was a piece of crap.
    and i am sure there are more out there too.
    same for mclean.
    talk about mclean...interesting(if inconclusive) watching 'trap for fools' at about the 400m mark in the mackinnon

I'm talking about from a racing perspective. I know you have a low opinion of him for working his horses on the beach and I respect that. But a week ago DK Weir was fawned upon for his knockabout approach and record breaking success. He has been in trouble before but so has just about every trainer.
  • careycarey    6,368 posts
    both of them have  LONG  rap sheets, and while it's true i don't like them for the environmental  damage they think is their right to do, i simply don't like them, full stop.

would have said except same about smerdon too, long time before it hit the fan with him.
    when you know how to analyse data, then things that are outside the bounds of probability, reveal themselves.
    where you may not know the whys, you can be confident that.......
    edited February 2019
    Only a few would know - but just wondering out of curiousity how prevalent batteries are used in racing. Rarely, moderately, often, a hell of a lot ? No idea for me.
    edited February 2019
    A trainer won a race in Melbourne the other day...and the first person he thanked in voluptuous terms and praise was Robert Smerdon.

He can do that - but goodness gracious me, the interviewer on Racing.Com nearly dropped the microphone! Insular and incestous - or just a bloke thanking a colleague - ex colleague that is.

paraletic likes this post.

• The_BullThe_Bull    918 posts

Only a few would know - but just wondering out of curiousity how prevalent batteries are used in racing. Rarely, moderately, often, a hell of a lot ? No idea for me.

My guess, and I say guess, is rarely, though the tabloid media would have the non racing public believe otherwise. I've worked in racing for 25 years. Iv'e worked for the likes of Gai, O'shea, Rogerson, Bart, Les Bridge, Bruce Mclachlan and others. I can truthfully say I have never seen a jigger used on a horse in any of these stables. I've seen other methods of getting a horse to "wake up". Spurs, jumps schooling (works well), even sprint ups on the morning of a race. The sensationalist media want to paint a different picture though....
    carey said:

when you know how to analyse data, then things that are outside the bounds of probability, reveal themselves.
    where you may not know the whys, you can be confident that.......

What does your data say about the probability of Waller's TJ Smith-like dominance of the Sydney premiership?  :-@
  • careycarey    6,368 posts
    i guess i could give you an honest opnion, but your last iconic bit said to me,........so go figure it yourself.

edited February 2019
    Get to know a few of the eastern states colours along the journey and Les Bridge - distinctive red and green silks is one that have come to know very well.

He must be getting on a bit, but still see his effective colours in the winners circle.
    Mr. Clangtastic and Avoid Lightning were just a couple of good ones he had, and best known for winning the 1987 Melbourne Cup with Kensei - Larry Olsen, also trained top mare Hot Danish.
  • The_BullThe_Bull    918 posts
    edited February 2019
    He also won a Golden slipper with Sir Dapper.

The Red & Green colours come from his love for the Rabbitoh's , probably second only to his love of golf.

I had the privelage of working for Les when Hot Danish was in work. She was one of the most imposing mares I have ever seen. A big black beast.
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts

A trainer won a race in Melbourne the other day...and the first person he thanked in voluptuous terms and praise was Robert Smerdon.

He can do that - but goodness gracious me, the interviewer on Racing.Com nearly dropped the microphone! Insular and incestous - or just a bloke thanking a colleague - ex colleague that is.

poor guy is probably a marked man now.
    edited February 2019
    Was funny because it was one of those nobody was expecting that moments...think it was knockabout trainer John Sadler - calls a spade a bloody shovel.

The Racing.Com interviewer was a little speechless for a second but then all good.
  • spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    Riders the use of jacks I believe was a lot more prevalent in the period in racing when morning trackwork wasn't policed  as much as it is now.
    "knockabout"...wasn't he in s/pore or HK?
    on the subject of eastern states...I saw a jock j. grisedale won a race recently. he was riding when Iived in Sydney 30 odd years ago. must be pretty old.
    Kramer?? ^^