G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 36 Non Members

Eastern States Racing

East Coast Racing

Comments

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Thanks to Brett Prebble I got 20% of the quaddie. Started slow but came home like Embrace Me

Bring on Caulfield :))

jum, oldhendo likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts

Launceston today ....R 5 ...Ben Allen ?????
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts

Launceston today ....R 5 ...Ben Allen ?????

[-X
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited February 2019
    Was interesting to see Red Cardinal and Big Duke both flashing home to quinella at big odds.
    Both up in the weights - but at their best - both thrown in at the weights!

Was highly fancied in his first Melbourne Cup Red Cardinal. Big Duke fourth in a classy Melbourne Cup - Kris Lees had them right on the day. Get them right and the weight is the least of their worries.

The remarkable thing their often at big odds - the bottom weighted ( they arn't really ) favoured horses in the race wouldn't get within cooey of a Melbourne Cup.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    I dont mind Red Cardinal. I was annoyed I wasnt on him in the Listed Parramatta Cup at 1900m on Saturday..paid 26 bucks. I thought 190pm would be too short but the leaders poured the pace on and it turned into a staying test which suited Red Cardinal and runner up Big Duke. Had the race been a sit and sprint then these two wouldnt have run top 5 in my opinion.
    The other ex European Casteron he looked a possible winner in the run, but plodded the final 100, just like he did at Flemington over the carnival - was going to play a major role and died on the run.
    edited February 2019
    At Caulfield a gutsy run again by the bulldog Trap For Fools - nearly $4 a place. He held third comfortably on the line. Good to see Ace High run well too. The winner Avilius ridden a treat by Hugh Bowman.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    • Best of days out of blamey stakes change the rules  see what happens keep bowing to the big operations and destroy the industry at a faster rate
    horse refused to jump on Saturday,,,,,,,Stewards  horse is sent back to trials.  Godolphin say can/t find trial before Saturday cut a deal where stewards allow two jumpouts to take. place on consective days wed, Thursday morning on top of that allow them to accept as a banned horse for Saturday blameystakes prior to jumpouts/ plus horse educator was working with it mon.tues./  This morning under minimal pressure he bled from both nostrils in jumpout, surely godolphin aren't that greedy. don't bend the rules for anybody' ,,,Horse just like Chautauqua/ ' was talking nobody listening        poor form allround.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Today James Cummings trained his 500th winner since his grandfather Bart Cummings passed away in August 2015.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Ref: https://www.racing.com/news/2019-03-01/news-dyes-tie-a-worthy-champion

Interesting comments from Shane Dye

Dye's Tie, a worthy champion
    Andrew Eddy@fastisheddy 11:03am O
    ,(
    Twenty years ago, a fascinating sequence of wins began. It would be such an extended sequence, that it ultimately told tales of longevity and of great will and it is one that Winx is set to write herself into.

Tie The Knot won the first of four Chipping Norton Stakes in 1999 for one of racing's most popular figures, the late trainer Guy Walter. The horse had an off-your-seats finish and combined with those unmistakable red colours of his jockey, that sometimes seemed to make him go faster, he instantly clicked with racing fans.

To put it into some context, if The All-Star Mile had been around at the turn of the century, you'd concede a spot immediately to Tie The Knot, such was his broad appeal.

Each year in the Chipping Norton from 1999 through to 2002, he would sit back then finish over the top of them, not totally dissimilar to the manner Winx has achieved her first three.

Shane Dye's Group 1 tally sits somewhere in the 90s and among them are some of Australia's elite racehorses over three decades. But none of them won him more elite races than Tie The Knot, who he partnered to nine such victories.

He won the Chipping Norton on him that day in 1999 and again a year later. Dye then left for Hong Kong and watched from afar as his old mate won two more for Patrick Payne.

"I actually flew back and rode him in his last race in the (2002) BMW," Dye said this week. "He had a beautiful run in fourth, he came out but there was nothing and when I came in I said to (owner) Sandy Tait - and I had a tear in my eye - 'This isn't the same horse' I told him. He said: 'Right, we're going to retire'."

So, in March 2002 after five seasons at the top level, the grand career of Tie The Knot came to an end after 62 starts, 21 wins and more than $6 million in prizemoney.

"I put a lot of his success down to Sandy, who knew racing inside out, and to Guy," Dye said. "A great horseman and he loved this horse so much.

"He was a beautiful horse. It was a shame he couldn't really go the Melbourne way. He went alright at Moonee Valley and Caulfield but for some reason, he couldn't get around Flemington.

"I thought he'd win a Melbourne Cup for sure. But he ran in two Mackinnon Stakes and a Melbourne Cup and he just didn't get around.

"As soon as you jumped, you'd just have two hands on one rein. He just wanted to run off. He never did that at Caulfield or Moonee Valley.

"In the Caulfield Cup (when third to Taufan's Melody in 1998), he was just one run short. He was going to win at the furlong but he just knocked up.

"He won the Sydney Cup as a three-year-old after he got beat in the (AJC) Derby because it was a wet track and he wasn't solid.

"He was a funny horse. I've never ridden a horse like him. You never had to hit him much as when he'd had enough, he'd had enough. He used to tell you."

These days, Dye is living in Macau but keeping a close eye on the feature racing in Australia.

He bows to Winx as a superstar but bemoans the lack of depth in Australian racing at present. He said the change over the past few decades to today, where fillies and mares dominant throughout the world, can be put down to several factors.

"There's a few reasons," he started. "Steroids is the first. When they went out, that didn't help the geldings. The second is, all the good horses in Australia are sold to Hong Kong.

"If you look last year, the best run in the ATC Derby by far was the sixth-placed horse Furore. He had a shocking run and probably should have won and I said that is the horse for the future but he was sold to Hong Kong for big money.

"The other horse I liked last year was Dark Dream. He looked very impressive in Brisbane and in Sydney going through the grades. He was sold for huge money.

"So, all of a sudden, the two best geldings in Australia are gone.

"Once upon a time, horses weren't retired as early three-year-olds but with so much money at stud, the best colts are shipped straight off to stud.

"So the best colts are gone and the best geldings are gone.

"The competition in general in Australia is way down as to what it used to be 20 years ago.

"If you have a look overseas, mares have won five of the past six Arcs (Prix de l'Arc de Triomphs). You go to America and the last superstar was the mare Zenyatta.

"The last three superstars in Australia have been Makybe Diva, the first horse to ever win three Melbourne Cups. Then we had Black Caviar, who was unbeaten for 25 starts and then there is Winx going for 31 wins in a row.

"Just think of those records, all coming in the last decade or two. It's not coincidence."

Few people are more qualified than Dye to comment on the transformation that has struck racing throughout the world. Just under 100 Group 1 winners throughout a career that began in New Zealand and ended in Mauritius in 2013 after a long time in Hong Kong.

His first Group 1 came in the George Main Stakes in 1986, around the time of his 20th birthday, aboard Ma Chiquita for trainer Neville Begg.

Dye said his comments were not meant to glorify the past over the present but to explain the changed landscape.

"I love watching Winx and I think she's a champion," he said.

"But the competition she is racing against is very, very ordinary and everyone knows that.

"But that's all that's here. It's not her fault. It's not Chris Waller's fault."

As a former master tactician himself, Dye also keeps a close eye on the current riders and he is certain that another of the reasons Winx is so dominant is because of who rides her.

"Hughie (Bowman) rides her unbelievably," Dye said. "What he does on her is just perfect."

Dye wanted to ensure his comments were not portrayed as him having a shot at the mare who is likely to add a fourth Chipping Norton Stakes to her astonishing record.

"I am not putting Winx down in any way. But I would have loved to have seen her in the Kingston Town era. I don't know what would have happened. It would have been interesting," he said.

"The one thing I do know is that she wouldn't have this unbeaten run."

Tie The Knot had lived 18 years when he passed away in 2012. Just two years later, Walter died of a heart attack.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    i'm no fan of dye but what he says is pretty true....
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    edited March 2019
    Interesting article. Fillies and mares may have some sort of advantage over geldings in a post steroid era but they certainly don’t get any favours against colts or entires. Dye also took shots at a bombproof horse whilst conceding his own champ was no good at Flemington or in the wet.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Dye is correct. As much as I love Winx and her record proves she is a champion..she is racing in a weak era at 1600m to 200om. No depth at all. It's sad to see. Again NOT knocking Winx at all.

oldhendo likes this post.

See that one of the many big bets on Winx today is $160,000 @$1.10 - it was invested on the "all in" market - meaning that if Winx ( God forbid ) happened to be scratched anytime from that moment onwards it's $160,000 down the drain.

All these large bets - do wonder if their legit sometimes - guess they are. Saw one of the big ones recently was over 100k a place at $1.03!!!
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Tie The Knot - Record in Melbourne

3rd - 1997 Listed Normon Robinson Stakes: 57kg, margin - 0.9 lengths (2000m SWP Caulfield), winner - Brave Prince (54kg)

2nd - 1997 G1 Victoria Derby: 55.5kg, margin - 3 lengths (2500m SW at Flemington), winner - Second Coming (55.5kg)

1st - 1998 G1 Underwood Stakes: 57kg, margin - 0.5 lengths (1800m WFA Caulfield)

7th - 1998 G2 Turnbull Stakes: 57.5kg, margin - 4 lengths (2000m SWP at Flemington), winner - Aerosmith (59kg)

3rd - 1998 G1 Caulfield Cup: 55.5kg, margin - 0.6 lengths (2400m hcp at Caulfield), winner - Taufan's Melody (53.5kg)

5th - 1998 G1 Mackinnon Stakes: 57kg, margin - 4.2 lengths (2000m WFA at Flemington), winner - Champagne (54.5kg)

6th - 1998 G1 Melbourne Cup: 55.5kg, margin - 2.9 lengths (3200m hcp at Flemington0, winner - Jezabeel (51kg)

2nd - 1999 G1 Caulfield Stakes: 59kg, margin - 4.5 lengths (2000m WFA at Caulfield), winner - Northern Drake (58kg)

2nd - 1999 G1 Cox Plate: 58kg, margin - 1.5 lengths (2040m WFA at Moonee Valley), winner - Sunline (54kg)

8th - 1999 G1 Mackinnon Stakes: 58kg, margin - 9.6 lengths (2000m WFA at Flemington), winner - Rogan Josh (58kg)

14th - 1999 G1 Melbourne Cup: 58kg, margin - 10.3 lengths (3200m hcp at Flemington), winner - Rogan Josh (50kg)

3rd - 2000 G1 Caulfield Stakes: 58kg, margin - 1.9 lengths (2000m WFA at Caulfield), winner - Sky Heights (58kg)

9th - 2000 G1 Cox Plate: 58kg, margin - 17.8 lengths (2040m WFA at Moonee Valley), winner - Sunline (55.5kg)

14th - 2001 G1 Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes: 59kg, margin - 4 lengths (1400m hcp at Caulfield), winner - Mr Murphy (54.5kg)

Tracks:

Caulfield: 6 starts: 1-1-3

Moonee Valley: 2 starts: 0-1-0

Flemington: 6 starts: 0-1-0

Total Starts in Melbourne: 14 starts: 1-3-3

• GepettoGepetto    99 posts
    ex WA horse Swift Sis wins race 4 at FLemington today.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Gepetto said:

ex WA horse Swift Sis wins race 4 at FLemington today.

Still.WA horse imo
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Material Man..Very disappointing. Doesn't appear to be good enough.
  • TheSwooperTheSwooper    1,717 posts
    Yes, was very average once it was time to let down. Track might be a tad hard?
  • GepettoGepetto    99 posts

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    Updated thanks to Winx's Group 1 win earlier today. She stands alone on top with 23 Group 1 wins.

HORSES WITH 10 OR MORE GROUP 1 WINS

**List includes horses who raced on the flat and raced over the jumps. Country in brackets is where they were foaled**

23 wins

Winx (AUS)

22 wins

Hurricane Fly (IRE)

16 wins

John Henry (USA)
    Kauto Star (FR)

15 wins

Black Caviar (AUS)

14 wins

Affirmed (USA)
    Forego (USA)
    Goldikova (IRE)
    Kingston Town (AUS)
    Istabraq (IRE)

13 wins

Bayakoa (ARG)
    Moscow Flyer (IRE)
    Spectacular Bid
    Sunline (NZ)
    Tie the Knot (AUS)
    Zenyatta (USA)

11 wins

Beholder (USA)
    Cigar (USA)
    Lady's Secret (USA)
    Lonhro (AUS)
    Manikato
    McDynamo (USA)
    Rough Habit (NZ)
    Serena's Song(USA)
    Wise Dan (USA)

10 wins

Azeri (USA)
    Beef or Salmon (IRE)
    Big Buck's (FRA)
    Brave Inca (IRE)
    Dahlia (USA)
    Faugheen
    Frankel (GB)
    Miesque (USA)
    Paseana (ARG)
    Octagonal (NZ)
    Mufhasa (NZ)
    Skip Away (USA)
    So You Think (NZ)

Horses to win Group 1s in both Hemispheres from that list:

So You Think (5)
    Sunline (1)
    Black Caviar (1)
  • FlandersFlanders    1,197 posts
    PC said:

Updated thanks to Winx's Group 1 win earlier today. She stands alone on top with 23 Group 1 wins.

HORSES WITH 10 OR MORE GROUP 1 WINS

**List includes horses who raced on the flat and raced over the jumps. Country in brackets is where they were foaled**

23 wins

Winx (AUS)

22 wins

Hurricane Fly (IRE)

16 wins

John Henry (USA)
    Kauto Star (FR)

15 wins

Black Caviar (AUS)

14 wins

Affirmed (USA)
    Forego (USA)
    Goldikova (IRE)
    Kingston Town (AUS)
    Istabraq (IRE)

13 wins

Bayakoa (ARG)
    Moscow Flyer (IRE)
    Spectacular Bid
    Sunline (NZ)
    Tie the Knot (AUS)
    Zenyatta (USA)

11 wins

Beholder (USA)
    Cigar (USA)
    Lady's Secret (USA)
    Lonhro (AUS)
    Manikato
    McDynamo (USA)
    Rough Habit (NZ)
    Serena's Song(USA)
    Wise Dan (USA)

10 wins

Azeri (USA)
    Beef or Salmon (IRE)
    Big Buck's (FRA)
    Brave Inca (IRE)
    Dahlia (USA)
    Faugheen
    Frankel (GB)
    Miesque (USA)
    Paseana (ARG)
    Octagonal (NZ)
    Mufhasa (NZ)
    Skip Away (USA)
    So You Think (NZ)

Horses to win Group 1s in both Hemispheres from that list:

So You Think (5)
    Sunline (1)
    Black Caviar (1)

Are there more G1s these days than in the days of the likes of Tie the Knot and Kingston Town etc?
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    R.I.P Sacred Kingdom. Good sprinter. Bred in Australia..and raced in Australia initially under the name of Jumbo Star. He was sold to Hong Kong and became a great sprinter there and had his name changed to Sacred Kingdom. He was a popular horse at Living Legends

jum likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    News coming in that Poetic King has also passed away.
  • squid69squid69    1,434 posts
    Have just taken odds boost on Booker tomorrow in the Newmarket - got $31! Pretty damn good for the last start Oakleigh Plate winner. With a soft run just off the pace tomorrow, hoping for a repeat.
    What a great Newmarket. Over 20 horses up the straight - it's one of the best races going around.
    Only about 15 winning chances!
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    After watching and backing Craig Williams in the first, I now understand why there is a saying "you got Willowed". Just allow horses to run past you early so you avoid any scrutiny. You don't get too many opportunities over 1000m.
  • oldhendooldhendo    763 posts
    Santa Ana Lane for me again.
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    I like Santa Ana Lane too. Trouble is I like about 8 others as well.