G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 8 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts

What about a few callers from overseas - awwwwaaaaaay they go and downnnnnnn the stretchhhhhh they come.

Col Hodges in NSW - a gem - "The gates craaaaaaaasssh back".

riders 100%surel that's allan hull the gates craaaaaaaash back.....
    Sonny brought  up on............. bet you London to a brick on.......k.howard. forget the Brisbane bloke who starting using paris to a peanut....in photo finishes. on the back of ken howard

Col Hodges the ex shearer being calling for near on fifty years        Col is the bloke that gives every jockey trainer there breeding back for  3 or 4 generations that were born in districts where he was a shearer, when they are milling around behind the gates..  Humour one day he was discussing  mal.johnstons breeding he was from forbes and brought up in orange and his mother was a top barmaid for many years in the forbes hotel and how she was related to les coles who rode1962 melb.cup winner even stevens then the breeders of the horse, that's all I can remember but he did go on for at least another three minutes nearly got back to captain cook. take notice next time his calling a field they have trouble loading, and away he goes.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Yes of course, apologies, meant Alan Hull.

savethegame likes this post.

• sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    Vince Curry??
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    JayJay said:

Marko's fester list ...and these are just the recent ones.

Sack David Shorte, Matt Young, the young Victorian novice caller, Jimmy Jacques, Fred Hastings, Dean Miller, cease racing at GP and Bunbury and Matty White gets a retro bucket tipped over him...any I have missed?

I am with you @Kan
    No i didnt ask for any of them to be sacked - dont start me on Bunbury - Nellie Babe 1.58 - fair dinkum

Just on Panda - and i know it would be unprofessional for him to comment - but i found his pre race GP interviews - and his interviews during the week with participants -  and  i enjoyed watching them   ( and i dont watch them  now ) . And i was dissappointed when he lost  that position to Gareth Hall - who i dont even bother watching - because he annoys me - because he comes accross as a bit of a fancy Dan - bordering on smart alec - Adam Hamilton annoys me for the same reason - however i like Greg Hayes - hes got a  nice relaxed approach - knows his harness racing -and hasnt got tickets on himself

If In The Gig is still going ( havent watched it for yonks ) i think Panda should put his hand up for that  - i think he would be ideally suited to that - when he was on the panel discussion for the Inters  - he was very good

The above post - is a factual post - not a made up mates post.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Quote: "Here is an absolute shocker - Freddie Hastings ( he should have been
    fired after this effort - literally)- Bankstown  Trots race 2 - 15/2/19"

Didn't call for any of them to be sacked eh?  Factual post..

Kane_26 likes this post.

You play the man instead of the ball

Have you even bothered listening to the call ???

Back in the day he would be called in and told that was terrible - how about lifting your game - and if he didnt they would promote some one else

HP dumped Kevin Thompson ( even though he called them for 2ky ) and one week they even flew David Fowler down from Brisbane to be course commentator at HP - thats how far KT was on the outer at one stage
    edited March 2019
    Can't knock any of them for enthusiasm and knowledge that's for sure. Greg Hayes is very good - no frills.
    Was it Britanny Graham again the other night at Menangle - she's outstanding. Adam Hamilton think is a very good presenter.

I'd like to see more interviews done in the birdcage - drivers and trainers. Do them and pre-record them-can get just as much good information. Pre - recording not that difficult would've thought ? And it's still very recent.

Nope not a fan of three extra people on the track just as their approaching start time - cameraman, interviewer and another person.

That time is for two competitors - horse and driver, and as good as guys like Jason Bonnington, Young and Brittany Graham are, wont ever change my mind. The track is for competitors not cameras.

VillageKid likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Is it just me or has the Miracle Mile become a ho hum boring spectacle since the move to Menangle from Harold Park?
    There always seemed to be plenty of action packed drama in that race at the inner city track but now just a shadow of the old race at far outer suburbia Menanagle.
    Just reading The Village Kid story by Alan Parker (many thanks to JJ) and in it Bill Horn talks about Willie sensing the lack of atmosphere in the crowd in the 2nd running of the MM (VK finished 3rd to Master Mood) in late 1986 with a crowd of around 17,000 being way down compared to the early 86 running and then the 1987 MM with bigger crowds on course in both of those in which VK won both.
    Sheesh they wouldnt have got even close to 7,000 to Menangle ever let alone 17k!
    So much for progress heading out to those far flung sticks of Menangle?!
    edited March 2019
    Purdon & Rasmussen must have thought this is easier than government work, one stablemate goes straight to the front and within 100 metres hands up to its friend.

If it wasn't the Miracle Mile nobody could have been accused for saying it was a boat race. Purdon and Rassmussen must have thought it was one of those bright, cool and sunny Friday afternoons driving at Alexandra Park NZ when nobody goes near them.

For a media guy to say 10 mins before the race - The Fixer will go to the front and not long after will hand up to Spankem - that was it in a nutshell.

They really need to look at who gets in too - super impressive earlier in the night was My Uncle Sam should've been in - and the other emergency too - very good horse.
    Ya's Ya's Hotspot gaining a start, I mean seriously - sometimes they outsmart themselves - you want the best field possible - and they missed it by a mile.

In saying that if you backed Spankem it's the greatest Miracle Mile of all time.
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Correct VK for a million dollar race it was shite.
    How yayas hotspot keeps getting into these races has me bewildered.
    It is a great horse but is simply not up to the best, just got in the way.
    Maybe the race was a result of lack of depth due to injuries but I hope it improves next year.
  • Kane_26Kane_26    88 posts
    Ya ya's won the Newcastle Mile (automatic entry)

edited March 2019
    Same as My Alpha Rock - qualified automatically by finishing runner up the week before - first two home straight into the Miracle Mile - had soft run, leaders back, second by a nose.

My Uncle Sam works like a Trojan - all saying what a great run - but doesn't qualify.
    Ya Yas Hotspot wins at Newcastle at 100/1 on a boggy track and soft run.
    Good luck to them.

Appreciate they want to give the lead up races more importance and that's fair enough, but with good/bad luck in running it's not necessarily from those events giving the best field.

Emergencies My Uncle Sam ( he was impressive Saturday ) and Cruz Bromac had some chance especially 3rd or 4th whereas stablemates Ya Ya and Alpha had no hope whatsoever.

Handpick the best available for me. But can understand the other argument too - just don't expect the best.

The last thing they were expecting was Ya Ya to win at Newcastle at 100/1 and Alpha Rock second at a big price the week before - he was good in the Miracle Mile - only beat a couple home but worked pretty hard and was hanging onto 4th until the good NZer Chase Auckland passed him late.
    horses of the elk of lazarus,chicargo bull  vincent,lenny the shark, smolda,have faith in me,waikiki beach,soho Tribeca, hectorjayjay,the good jilliby horse,there the type of horses your trying to replace in couple of years not easy , bling it on,

Five of the above belonged to Purdon stable - and they still run 1,2,4 with three new kids on the block.
    They have amazing horses. There'll be a few running in finals this Friday in NZ - worth watching and no doubt they'll turn up in Australia at some stage.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    edited March 2019
    To be honest the MM is an outdated concept as a unique event. It was a novelty championship that was born out of the advent of the mobile barrier to Australia and became a contest to make time relevant ala the US over a mile distance.
    Prizemoney and the best horses competing over what originally was a less than familiar distance drew huge interest but now horses can go just as quickly on a weekly basis anywhere.

A point of difference needs to be re-established and it is probably the Little Brown Jug format that could do it if the MM is to again become relevant.
    Let anyone nominate and hold 3 or 4 heats starting at 9 am and run them all in an hour. First two in each heat go into the final run at 4pm or so. Barrier draw preference on heat time recorded. 
    A system of payment in the final using the current world record as a benchmark could be established. For instance if it was broken a bonus $250 K could be insured against and for each second outside it $250 K could be deducted from the overall prizemoney. 
    Bit of lateral thought needed......the worst thing in harness racing for big GR 1 races is having too much money allocated 2nd through 5th. It sends the races into borefest damage control as spectacles because some horses will receive their biggest lifetime cheque by being driven conservatively after the barrier draw to best place rather than attempt an outright win and you can't blame them.

edited March 2019
    On a different topic who's back tomorrow night barrier five and $1.80 favourite - Vincenzo Perrugia, wouldn't back him but neither would take on.

When Vincenzo is running - good luck!
    He'll no doubt back up again next Friday. Possibly just the beginning - he could be running twice a week for along time.

Will win and lose at odds on, will win at rough prices, will win as a favourite. Nothing will surprise - after witnessing the first one that ran 5000 times Of Auld Aberdeen - nothing will surprise.

Had a decent trifecta coming up one night - two roughies fighting it out - had left Of Auld Aberdeen out completely and kid you not - he sat three wide the whole race over a journey and still ran third.

When saw Vincenzo run second at 115/1 the other week that memory came flooding back and nothing surprises with his horses. Seen them run shockers - but also seen them almost invincible and thought that horse would have measured up anywhere in Australia tonight, that can happen within a week!

curmudgeon likes this post.

edited March 2019
    The other night had $20 a win on Vincenzo and $20 a place Campora - when Vincenzo went to the front didn't give a hoot about Campora saw he was nearly last, what a waste of a bet and forgot about him, was concentrating on Vincenzo - just thought he's home there's no way they will pass him.

Then saw he was beaten, and strike me down here comes Campora - quickly checked the tickets hoping had marked 20 a win Campora as well by mistake - nope no such luck.

But that's Vincenzo - when he was in the breeze that night at 115/1 thought you'll be tailed off soon. Keeps going and nearly wins. Any other horse to get past bar Soho Chelsea and would have won.
    The other night thought home and hosed and packs up like a deck of cards.
    sonny said:

Vince Curry??

Sonny done some research " paris to peanut" was first used by tom poley in the fifties have never heard of the man....have heard it used a few years ago.;;;;;;;.On another one.Dave Sheehan used this one around1999 after the yank  Robert bogucki went missing for 43 days in w.a. a horse at the kalg. trots was three deep the trip  "this has covered more ground than Robert bogucki" at the bell, the whole crowd erupted with laughter  ;;;;;heard d,mac. use it last year.;;;so callers do like to stamp different sayings as theres.

edited March 2019
    Before that race thought one of two things will happen - Vincenzo will go nuts with others and there'll be massive pressure and a smokey Campora could be the blowout for a place.

Or Vincenzo might just cross to the front and in that case he's home and Campora will have no hope.
    Wrong and wrong - Vincenzo gets its relatively comfortably and folds up and Campora does the impossible.
    Heard a trot caller in Victoria calling Swan Hill I think a couple of weeks ago ...called one coming home "this is wider than Veandercross " . Had a chuckle thinking about Shane Dye and all the drama. Good description.

Jockeys who have made transition to reinsmen;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Most famous two time melborune cup winner john letts   & kalgoorlie cup winner on reodoro..

s,j, miller, p,duggan, m.grantham. v.yendle; d,r miller??   and yes ken,kirke ;;;;;;m.brown from reinsman to jock, probably a heap others any one can  remember others,

VillageKid likes this post.

Max Dobrigh Kristian Hawkins

savethegame, VillageKid likes this post.

Tom Unkovich? Malcolm Campbell?

Max Dobrigh Kristian Hawkins

Youve put a  pair of 6s ( and hows that sprint lane going at Pinjarra- lol - the Cup race  and 4 of them are held up - lol- i thought the sprint lane was the solution to all problems in the world )

I will put a pair of Aces on the table

Brian Gath and Ted Demmler

Don't know whether it came to pass but I recall reading somewhere that ace driver Yannick Gingras was changing codes to become a jockey???
    read it as well;;;;; but was a april fools prank
    Possibly Aaron Spiteri ? Hoop in Victoria to reinsman.
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    The sprint lane at Pinjarra is at best 3/4 length of the straight, imo should be full length.
    If you watch the replay the horse in front doesn't get driven out until he reaches the sprint lane because the driver knows that is when he has to go. If it was from the turn then other horses would have got through.
    On top of this if you watch the horses head in front you will see it is driven off its true line just after this point and shifts out abruptly (i will reserve my comment on why) hence taking up the running line of two horses.
    The best horse and the best drive on the day won, but would love to see the head on.
    Will see what the stewards report says.

curmudgeon likes this post.

Marko give you that round admire your ticka your only down 13-1....just at the press conference  refrain from saying I markovina can't wait to hope in the ring with markovina.lol.
    edited March 2019
    stg yesterday a horse in Japan paid over $66 a place on our tote!!
    The quinella, exacta, trifecta, first four dividends on the race were terrible - all very rough odds. Pools were reasonable ( for Japan ).

Dowwwwwwwn the strectchhhhhhhhh they come, funny caller, by then most of 'em are going up and down on the one spot.