G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 21 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,888 posts
    This has probably been in the West Australian - but i dont currently subscribe to it

I see on HRA - Stewards rap - owner Luke Motngomery was in hot water and got fined 4k

He part owns Lot Twenty One - and he laid it on betfair for plenty - like it started  $1.90 - and he profited just over $2000 - so he has laid it for just over 2k to get beaten

I looked up the result - 18/8/18 - it only got beaten a head - they came home in 56 - i havent watched the race

The trainer and driver were exonerated - they had no idea he had placed the bet

But it is not a good look - owners of $1.90 pops laying it to get beat for 2k

Just on race calling - back in the day - the trots callers were so much better - good example i can give you - Frank Obrien was course commentator at Bray raceway Ballarat for many years . You could say - well who is Frank Obrien - well he was course commentator for about 20 years at Flemington  - called Melb Cups . Yet he was also course broadcaster at Ballarat Harness

Its chalk and cheese
  • ciscocisco    805 posts
    What about Bruce Skeggs at Moonee Valley Marko - do you remember him?
    I think the best caller at the moment at the harness  - the one i enjoy the most is Dan Milecki - makes it exciting - but doesnt go over the top - and very good in photo finishes
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Plenty of decent callers. Variety is the spice of life. The old days ....people could make it up because they were mostly radio callers. Now...if you bullshite you are under the pump from those even without 20/20 vision watching replays.

cisco, Ridersonthestorm33, VillageKid likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    Do you remember Tony Van Blitterswyk @curmudgeon ?
    edited March 2019
    Jack van Blitterswyk lived in Kalgoorlie....Short St beside the Cruickshank Sports Arena from memory.
    Nah ...sorry...mixed up with Jacob Winterswyk ....hahaha

• sonnysonny    1,053 posts
    He may have got better odds and laid at 1.90.. Plays the percentages. I don't think its a bad look.  Smart punting in my opinion..

VillageKid likes this post.

Tony used to call the NE country circuit in the 70's ...Trayning, Wylie, Merredin. Had a very "unique" style. A terrific servant of country trotting but honestly, you had no idea who was where...and I was there watching. Fortunately, I have some vinyl records of his calls and they are a priceless link to the past. One day at Trayning, there was a huge clatter of noise, followed by an ear piercing squeal of PA feedback, a fair smattering of swearing and spluttering followed by a resumption of normality....Tony had fallen off what was, to be fair a very rickety stand, but duty called and he finished the call.....race was won by Mina Dillon (F.B.Collins)...I think it's one and only victory. At the time, I think Milton Cairnduff was calling Kalgoorlie, Stewie Shenton was doing the country provincials and with BT on commercial radio and George was of course doing the ABC duties.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Mina Dillon claim to fame she was in the field when,owner,Bernie Ogden had his one and only drive behind mount eden he ran 5th mina Dillon 7th,,

Milton Cairnduff  had the two worst postions to call from, at the trots his calling was done 80-100metres before the winning post with a  elevation of, no more then two metres, at the gallops his calling was done 40-60metres past the post angle about 120 degrees for a lot years without a whinge...Total professional our Dalton dandruff,, now you no-why ,.he trotted out colours obscured a fair bit.

Milton Pettit tasmanias no1 caller for over 40years was born in Kalgoorlie started calling at k,b,r,c, left to  take up tassie job always returned for the round and sometimes called

JayJay, curmudgeon, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Trayning Trots, what a place.....things happened there you wouldn't believe. Back in the 70's, I was part of the team that ran the manual tote for the NE District Trotting Council. Transporting the manual tote machines from meeting to meeting, setting up and operating the tote, all done manually with lever pull calculators, it was pretty basic. One day, a huge gust of wind blows through the tin shed that was the tote building, tickets flying everywhere, we were running around both inside and outside the building trying to recover the tickets to work out the divvies. The 3rd placegetter was owned by a member of the staff. Pools were tallied up, question was, how many 50 cent units were sold for the 3rd placegetter? We guessed not many as he was a longshot but in reality, we didn't have a clue. The Tote Manager, a man of unquestionable integrity, had to make the call. Critical decision...if he is too generous, the Tote runs at a loss for the club, if too harsh, it is a windfall. He declares a 3rd place divvy of $19...yep $19, I'll never forget it. Pay out takes place, we are all holding our breath, how many live tickets are out there? Only 6 units were presented, paying out $114 in total. 3rd place pool was $400 plus. Bonus for the club, bummer for the holders of the 6 units. It should have paid about $60 bucks for the place after commissions taken out.Question was, who held the 6 units? Well, that remains a state secret as the living are still living..... but no one complained, least of all the staff member or the course commentator!!!!

Ridersonthestorm33, Offthebit likes this post.

JayJay said:

Tony used to call the NE country circuit in the 70's ...Trayning, Wylie, Merredin. Had a very "unique" style. A terrific servant of country trotting but honestly, you had no idea who was where...and I was there watching. Fortunately, I have some vinyl records of his calls and they are a priceless link to the past. One day at Trayning, there was a huge clatter of noise, followed by an ear piercing squeal of PA feedback, a fair smattering of swearing and spluttering followed by a resumption of normality....Tony had fallen off what was, to be fair a very rickety stand, but duty called and he finished the call.....race was won by Mina Dillon (F.B.Collins)...I think it's one and only victory. At the time, I think Milton Cairnduff was calling Kalgoorlie, Stewie Shenton was doing the country provincials and with BT on commercial radio and George was of course doing the ABC duties.

Just out of interest - do those old country tracks of yesteryear do they  still exist - or have  they been  bulldozed and they are gone

If they exist ( you need a few keen locals ) then it surprises me they dont hold one meeting a year - it can be just a few races - maybe to coincide with their local show

In Tassie - at Xmas time King Island hold a couple of meetings - they only hold 2-3 races each time - they must get the horses out by boat - but i think its great that it still exists and hasnt dissappeared totally

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Cunderdin Wyalkatchem Trayning Merredin York and of course Kalgoorlie all still exist in some form in the N/E Districts. You can satellite view them all via Google ....stick out like the proverbial in every town .....usually have a couple of dusty cricket pitches in the middle

Markovina, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Most are still footy ovals for the local team....like Williams and Bridgetown. I think the Clubs as such have folded and many country towns are in volunteer deficit, specifically younger types, who spend their lives glued to their phone screens doing nothing productive. But, yes, the concept of one off meetings is worthy but I doubt RWWA would be supportive.

Markovina, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Cunderdin Wyalkatchem Trayning Merredin York and of course Kalgoorlie all still exist in some form in the N/E Districts. You can satellite view them all via Google ....stick out like the proverbial in every town .....usually have a couple of dusty cricket pitches in the middle

When you said - stick out like the proverbial in every town - i immediately thought of Broken Hill- never been to a meeting - but driven past it quite a few times - it is cut into a bank - unique

Its on the main road as you come in - youve got the Trots track on one side - and the Cemetry on the other side ( thats for the broke punters - they just toss them in their )

Interesting place Broken Hill - 1st sunlight at 5  or 6 oclock whatever it is a  hive of activity - people gardening walking jogging exercising horses doing whatever - because at 4 in the afternoon it is so windy - you dont see a soul doing recreational activities then  - windiest place in Aust i reckon

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited March 2019
    Noticed a horse win at a good price in Adelaide recently - thought I've heard that name somewhere - the other week saw her running again - was on the place - could not have driven her better - just had to hold her ground to run third - she did it by a nose.

Later on realised ( after looking up ) who it was and where she'd had raced, her name - Lady Azalea.
    Somebody here will know her.
    Seems to be battling away ok over there and earning a few dollars.
    STRINGERS  STANDARDBRED STATISTICS , 1971.

W.A, has been regarded as the home of night trotting 22 registered clubs  w.a,with population just short of a million   80% of the clubs race in townships less 12,000    50% less then 3,000 and the three day clubs between 600-800.
    Yes Riders, I sold Lady Azalea to Clarenden Standardbreds as both a racing but primarily a breeding proposition (her grand dam is the great Blossom Lady). She had reached her mark in WA and Claire Goble is doing a good job with her over there, won going 1.57.5 which is good for her future commerciality as a broodmare. She will win again shortly when she gets a draw to lead.
  • OffthebitOffthebit    597 posts

Offthebit "even D Kerr" out foxed Jnr on Friday night.
    IMO Darren Kerr is actually a very good driver and trainer just never been afforded the opportunities as "Jnr" has.
    Does my head in that these drivers are considered inferior when the horses they are driving are 90 percent of the time not in the same class, particularly high priced imports.
    Recall a very good driver who disappeared for a few years for reasons I do not know, came back with a strong stable and now considered the best driver in WA. Think he drove "jnrs pants off" on Monday.
    Pretty sure he would acknowledge your only as good as the horse you are driving.

Hey freo definitely not knocking dg kerr. As an owner a few years back I had him on a few my horses. Was very happy to have him on, I think he is very underrated.
    What I meant by “even d Kerr” was the reputations of the two drivers are worlds apart.
  • OffthebitOffthebit    597 posts
    edited March 2019
  • AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts
    Does anyone gallop horses out from the mobile more than Donald Harper?

Cant_Refuse likes this post.

I got bagged for criticising that young Vic caller - Luke someone - leave him alone - give him a chance - a go

If youve got 5 minutes spare - watch the replays of race 6 and 7 at Birchip - you will get a good laugh - hilarious - talk about over the top - an absolute  motor mouth - you will end up a nervous wreck listening to his calls - especially if youve got money riding on it
    Markovina said:

I got bagged for criticising that young Vic caller - Luke someone - leave him alone - give him a chance - a go

If youve got 5 minutes spare - watch the replays of race 6 and 7 at Birchip - you will get a good laugh - hilarious - talk about over the top - an absolute  motor mouth - you will end up a nervous wreck listening to his calls - especially if youve got money riding on it

Teaspoon magnesium oxide  prior to race 1,and after race 4 will fix him.&marko you can have one when you have a result coming up.
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Gotta love that Marko what country racing is all about.
    Good crowd good racing and no doubt Luke someone will still be listening to his calls late into tonight.

cisco likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Nice plunge landed on Midnight Man at Pinjarra yesterday $21 to $2

Hadn't won since April 2018 at Wagin and unplaced last six runs before a spell.

Gave it no hope myself but first run for Joshua Dunn with Shannon to drive should have raised some alarm bells.

• ciscocisco    805 posts
    Hi Boys,

Just wanted to say what a top job the two young blokes do on the rwwa harness twitter site before and after races. Their interviews and information are very informative.

Cheers cisco
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    Last race at Grafton greys tonight Queensland TAB paid 321.30 win .

Never seen anything like that before. With the small pool there was $1 invested on it.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited March 2019
    Classic...paid $18 in NSW and $41 on Supertab and $321 on Unitab.
    Drew box one! Just $1 off being a carryover for the win.

Unibet win pools - that's the whole of Queensland and South Australia - have seen them at the boxes at the greyhounds and moving up at Redcliffe trots with just $200 - $500 in the win pool, even allowing for fixed odds betting - their pools when considering two whole states betting are on the whole very small.
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
  • ToepuntitToepuntit    241 posts
    Apparently same thing happened at Victor harbour years ago, nasty stuff
  • AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts
    Bunbury race 5, even Lewis is pulling off the fence,
    Could have got on leaders back with a sprint lane
    Mind boggling

savethegame likes this post.