G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 32 Non Members

Vincenzo Peruggia - He's a regular.

Harness & Greyhounds
Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
edited March 2019 Harness & Greyhounds
Vincenzo is well and truly into the routine of going around twice a week - today at Pinjarra a warm favourite. A few of you guys have either driven/trained/owned or had a bit to do with them - my question is - how difficult is it to get a horse up twice a week ?

Its obviously within the rules. Am a bit ambivalent to it, more just curious to how do you keep a horse in form running twice a week ? It can't be that easy otherwise more would do it.

Only guessing, but for some trainers it must be a complete no-no ? For me - have no firm opinion one way or the other - but it's fascinating.

Comments

• MoonrakerMoonraker    99 posts

Its not that hard to get a horse racing twice a week - Contrary to horses racing once a week or less, he wouldn't be doing any fast work in between races. So the work is more about recovery than maintaining fitness.

The skill isn't in training a horse to race twice a week - its more about finding the horse that will stand up to it. Tony has had his share that haven't.

There is a rule about how many starts you can have in an x day period. not sure of the numbers though.

VillageKid, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    841 posts
    The general rule of thumb here is never question Tony’s level of genius and also never try and replicate it
  • ToepuntitToepuntit    241 posts
    Not sure but it raced 7 times in February

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    2017/18 - 116 starters for 4 wins and 8 placings - $106k stakes
    2018/19 -  53 starters for 5 wins 11 placings - $60k stakes

Plus one more!!!

VillageKid, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Vincenzo seems to be thriving on Tony's bi-weekly race routine at the moment that is for sure.

Gepetto, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited March 2019
    Wow he powered away from them. Bossanova Bay every chance with the trail.
    Vincenzo is not the type of horse you'd want sitting outside you in a race. ( Not that Bossanova had any choice ).

That's now a few times seen him recently and thought super impressive - then other times ( also recently ) and hmmm not so good.

That today though he was on!

It has been from the night he sat outside Wesley that he has not looked back. Don't know if Wesley has started since ? Vincenzo about seven times.

Next Friday will be interesting. He's a big chance to be there.
    edited March 2019
    Imagine if Tony Svilicich had trained that warrior Lincoln Storm - an incredibly tough horse - or even better - Gammalite.

Two horses that rarely shirked it.

Then again because they were already tough may have not got any better whereas a Digger Of Fortune ( started his career in Victoria - average at best ) and Vincenzo now, improved out of sight.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Tony's generally go better monday after racing the previous friday. The four days between mon to friday seems to be too long for them....perhaps need an s in the formguide between mon-fri  :D

• GepettoGepetto    99 posts
    edited March 2019
    Tony Svilicich trained runners,are generally the only reason I follow Harness. I enjoy the regular  racing and think that Tony actually develops his horses toughness. Think it makes me generally curious how 1 trainer continually get horses to run competitively so regularly.
    The list is long(probably missed a few, just of the top of my head}
    Of Auld Aberdeen
    Digger Of Fortune
    Joe Fuse
    Has the Answers
    Mysta Magical Mach
    Vincent Paruggia
    Does anyone know how or with whom Tony developed his training methods and regular racing schedules  Seems to be a bit of mystery around it (no obvious link to any other trainers}.

edited March 2019
    Was trying to work that out myself curmudgeon - led to total confusion!

I should but can't recall much about Joe Fuse ?
    The others will always remember them.

He got Has The Answers off Gary Hall Snr ?

The night Vincenzo Peruggia worked hard on the outside of Soho Chelsea and ran a clear second was the gamechanger for me.
    115/1 chances don't do that.
  • GepettoGepetto    99 posts
    edited March 2019

Was trying to work that out myself curmudgeon - led to total confusion!

I should but can't recall much about Joe Fuse ? Regulary ran in claimers and might have got through to FFA class before being claimed and ended up interstate The others will always remember them.

He got Has The Answers off Gary Hall Snr ? Yep

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Gepetto said:

Tony Svilicich trained runners,are generally the only reason I follow Harness. I enjoy the regular  racing and think that Tony actually develops his horses toughness. Think it makes me generally curious how 1 trainer continually get horses to run competitively so regularly.
    The list is long(probably missed a few, just of the top of my head}
    Of Auld Aberdeen
    Digger Of Fortune
    Joe Fuse
    Has the Answers
    Mysta Magical Mach
    Vincent Paruggia
    Does anyone know how or with whom Tony developed his training methods and regular racing schedules  Seems to be a bit of mystery around it (no obvious link to any other trainers}.

Tony and formerly dual licenced  trainer Jeff Bull shared a property at York for quite a while.

Gepetto likes this post.

edited March 2019
    Onto something there too curmudgeon thats now five starts at Pinjarra - 2 wins and 3 places.

Even though said had been a little dissapointing occasionally, his numerical form reads much better than first thought.
    All those horses like Has The Answers, Digger, Aberdeen etc had overall excellent numerical form.
    Came within an ace of winning the Pacing Cup too.
    Joe Fuse running well in the claimers that does ring a bell.

I liked Joe fuse - I remember him for having a very thick neck.

Yes Tony did train him, but don't think he should be in the list of Tony getting the best out of.

Justin Warwick took him through the city classes from memory.

though - you can add Wrongly Accused and Shardons Rocket to the list!!

edited March 2019
    That's amazing because was associating Joe Fuse with Justin Warwick but then thought nah I'm on the wrong track there.

Shardon's Rocket and Wrongly Accused of course, had an inkling there was a couple more - Vincenzo maybe racing regularly but he's got along way to catch any of the above.

When Justin Warwick got that Black Diro a 12 or 13 year old from Victoria and won several races with it was remarkable too.

Recall later on seeing Wrongly Accused run in claimers in Adelaide - backed it over there one night - had the run of the race, thought how far will this win by, but never went a stride. Several times afterwards no good at all.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    demoralizer, royal  ? from gavin lang   plus one that would race at geradlton  then win at gp.

edited March 2019
    Think their was a Royal one...or royale. Got me tricked.
    royal opera?
  • ToepuntitToepuntit    241 posts
    Great last quarter given he was only asked to extend the last 100m
    27 flat, airborne

Whiz bang opera i was thing of. Having a look at its record - only one of a few that has gone on after leaving tony.

Fantastic last quarter, up the straight was amazing, there are times he looks a free for all horse.
    Up the straight or down the straight ?? Always tricked me that one - both suffice.

Think their was an eastern states racehorse Royal Opera.

Toepuntit likes this post.

One people may not remember - Aerobic - Tony produced it to win first up for 3.5yrs. Didnt win another race after than.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Another one- Sokys Big Bullet won a Bunbury Cup for Tony.

taihape tickler from mark purdon, to ted demmler to tony svilicich won about 10 for him.

curmudgeon, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts

Imagine if Tony Svilicich had trained that warrior Lincoln Storm - an incredibly tough horse - or even better - Gammalite.

Two horses that rarely shirked it.

Then again because they were already tough may have not got any better whereas a Digger Of Fortune ( started his career in Victoria - average at best ) and Vincenzo now, improved out of sight.

Gammalite did have a couple of other trainers - apart from its owner/breeder and Terang dairy farmer Leo Oconnor

2 who come to mind are Ray Wisbey of Koala King fame and Kevin Robinson - leading NSW Trainer /driver

Both those trainers were based on the coast - Robinson at Berry - and they were both renowned - sit and sprint trainers - not stayers

If Svilicich had got his hands on Gammalite - i reckon it would have been just about unbeatable - like Gammalite was a champion horse

You saw what he did with Mysta Magical Mach- well Gammalite was in another league  - i really admired Gammalite - and i loved those yellowy/gold colours - one of the best set of racing colours ive seen

Roydon holmes would have also won about 10 for him

the gavin lang.plus g.morgan.w.galea g.douglas,,,,,,,,  tony won 10 with not royal but royden holmes..

Did Coulson have gammalite for a short period..,
    edited March 2019
    Another one would have been interested to see how went under his care - Smolda. Not that they did anything wrong with that horse, just trying to think of other fairly tough pacers that could go a step further.

With the right horse he'd revel in the Inters three heats and a final within two weeks - a walk in the park.

As somebody said though it's only been some that have thrived - it's still been more the exception than the rule and looks as if Vincenzo Peruggia might be another, he's got a long way to go just the same.
    Certainly did STG, Phil had Gammalite on several occasions.....prepared him for the Freo Cup win and for a Pacing Cup ....then got him ready for the Inters in SA...sent him over in absolutely peak form and he made a mess of them in that series. One thing that grated him....and there was not a lot he said publically...was that he never received any acknowledgement in any form of the work he did in getting him set for that series. One of the very few photos that he had on display was of the mighty Gammalite.  I don't think Tony would have improved him....or Smolda....seriously, I can't believe anyone would suggest that.

savethegame likes this post.