G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 37 Non Members

Comments

• PAULPAUL    2,665 posts
    Tivers said:

Hold up - just checking care factor...............

Nope, not registering.
    Point taken =;

RIO likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    Ive quite enjoyed watching a bit of it this year. Most teams seem to have the Kangaroos mens team covered... so in that respect, its been well worthwhile watching for me. 

Adelaide look by far too good and will win the flag.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    A lot was said about the conference system but at the end of the day the best two teams on current form will play off in the Grand Final.

The Dockers would feel a little bit miffed about having to play a final away after a six/one record.

VillageKid likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Know I will sound like a sexist pig but who cares
    You may not Spinking but as I pointed out before over 500k women and girls play each weekend during the regular season and 5 times as many people attend those games as attend race meetings throughout Australia on a given weekend.

It is good to see Misogyny is still thriving in Australia in 2019.
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    @spinking it isn't sexist at all. 

I feel the same way about AFLW. Not because its a women's game, because I'm just not interested.

The same as I feel about sports like Mens Rugby Union or the premier league in the UK. I couldn't care less and don't have time to care about or waste energy with things Im not interested in.

I am absolutely sick to death of an apologist culture these days

spinking, oldhendo, Manchild likes this post.

Chariots call it for what you like . I would rather watch paint dry or go and watch a colts game . Skills are not there  and most of the scores underline that. But if that's your thing so be it its just not for mine
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    spinking said:

Chariots call it for what you like . I would rather watch paint dry or go and watch a colts game . Skills are not there  and most of the scores underline that. But if that's your thing so be it its just not for mine

Come on Spink, get into the spirit of it <:-P                                                                                   10 Am kick off Sunday Morning. grand final Adelaide Vs Carlton. I've been waiting decades for the blues to make grandfinal

Think I might play golf Sunday morning.

spinking likes this post.

What do you go round in Jum (scorewise) not the golf cart

• jumjum    3,512 posts

Just started mate, played cricket my whole life. Getting around in roughly 97 but improving quickly.

Aiming to get down to a 15 handicap

spinking likes this post.

I am a weekend hacker when I get time mate. If I got down to a 15 be stocked. Might have to organise a game PTT open

H-BOMBER, Kane_26, jum likes this post.

• detonatordetonator    4,360 posts

spinking said:

I am a weekend hacker when I get time mate. If I got down to a 15 be stocked. Might have to organise a game PTT open

ESPN will be all over that one. :D

spinking, jum likes this post.

Tv rights will be rite up there with any of the other majors one would assume
    53k at AFLW Grand Final in Adelaide.

Admittedly free but you would not get $53k to a WAFL 
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Call the WAFL teams Adelaide and Carlton (or West Coast and Freo) and you would.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Not suggesting that any of the football players are worthy of any more but to read that the Top Tier ladies will only receive $29k for a season is damn harsh.

So what the hell do the others get paid??? and who woudl put themselves through about 6 months of work for  that sort of money??? I read it will increase to 36k for the 2 top tier players in each team bt 2022, but that is a long way off.

No wonder the skills are poor. The old adage of pay peanuts, get monkeys

• jumjum    3,512 posts

Rio that's roughly the pay of some top players in the South West Football League.

Same crowd numbers too, so probably on a par

:D

RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts

:)) :)) :))^^^^^
  • runyonrunyon    569 posts

AFLW 2019 Total Player Payments average per team $474800 for a 7 game home and away season.

WAFL 2019 Total Player Payments per team for non-partner clubs $278000 for a 18 game home and away season. (  West Coast and Peel have their TPP calculated differently.)       

RIO likes this post.

The AFLW is a loss making exercise.
    Thereby the players are already being paid more then the revenue would otherwise allow.
    There being no magic money tree, the only way for them to be paid more is for the Mens salary caps to be reduced, and some of their payments redirected to the women.

Over to them................

jum likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    yep,  realise the problem... I was just highlight how they are playing in a National competition and gettign paid weekend warrior wages.

But at this rate they wont be able to attract all the quality athletes they need to get a quick turnaround. So the expectations from the public need to keep in focus that these women are weekend occasional footy players.. Not fully professional athletes.

Once the balance gets right, i'd expect the skill levels and quality of game to improve significantly
    One could contend that perhaps they should have just promoted state based leagues in the first instance.

Personally I'd loved to have seen the AFL join forces with the Neball and have AFL Team linked Netball teams (some already do - Collingwood and Sydney for two).
    That's going with the natural flow of the traditional sporting clubs (Football for the Boys, Netball for the Girls), would have given Netball a boost, and covered off the AFL's contribution to womens sport.
    And then as above - kicked off the AFLW in another way (eg smaller, localised).

RIO, PAUL likes this post.

I believe the salary caps are a bit of a myth with some clubs paying substantial money to players to undertake duties at the clubs outside of actually playing.

If reports are correct Chelsea Randall (originally from WA) knocked back a huge offer from West Coast to stay with Adelaide. Dana Hooker will be making much more money at West Coast than she did with the Dockers and as a single mother who could blame her.

Titus Orelly put AFLW in perspective when he said there is no law making it mandatory to watch it and people say the the skills are sub standard.  As a Melbourne AFL supporter Titus was not convinced that was the case.
    :)

RIO, VillageKid likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    ^^^^^^ Melbourne AFL Supporter statement....
    :)) :)) :))
  • PAULPAUL    2,665 posts
    The AFLW draft took place this morning, with eleven WA players drafted (four from Swan Districts), by the two local clubs.

FREMANTLE
    Pick 12: Roxy Roux (East Fremantle)
    Pick 21: Mim Strom (Swan Districts)
    Pick 35: Ann McMahon (East Fremantle)
    Pick 51: Emma O'Driscoll (Swan Districts)
    Pick 66: Sarah Garstone (Claremont)
    Pick 81: Janelle Cuthbertson (Perth Angels)
    Pick 85: Bianca Webb (Swan Districts)

WEST COAST EAGLES
    Pick 19: Imahra Cameron (Swan Districts)
    Pick 39: Sophie McDonald (Claremont)
    Pick 56: Tarnee Tester (Subiaco)
    Pick 70: Katherine Orme (Claremont)
    Pick 92: Talia Radan (Hawthorn VFLW)
    Pick 101: Chantella Perera (Hawthorn VFLW)
  • JayJayJayJay    7,630 posts
    Salary caps are yet another "smoke and mirrors" illusion from those running football (at any level) in a failed attempt to convince the masses that it is all an even playing field and that there is no cheating. No one with a pulse or a functioning neuron believes this to be the case, as the usual "treat them like they are idiots" approach from administrators prevails once again. If robbing a bank was as easy as breaching some bogus fictitious salary cap garbage, then every bank in Australia would be under siege. And even when overwhelming evidence of cheating has been presented in the past, very little was done about it.
    In todays West where Barlow bemoans Dockers lack of Friday night games in the last few years.
    That is a result of RTB's boring game style and lack of crowds.
    Visually that is not what the viewers want on a Friday night.

RIO likes this post.

• runyonrunyon    569 posts
    detonator said:

In todays West where Barlow bemoans Dockers lack of Friday night games in the last few years.
    That is a result of RTB's boring game style and lack of crowds.
    Visually that is not what the viewers want on a Friday night.

If crowd size had anything to do with playing on a Friday night, the Dockers should definitely be playing then. At least when they play home games. This season they had an average of almost 41000 at there home games which is the 7th highest out of the 18 teams. 50% of Friday night home and away games this season had smaller crowds than the Dockers average home attendance including the GWS v Hawthorn game which had only 11000.

As far as RTB's boring game style being part of the reason, maybe, maybe not. The last thing   viewers want to watch is a thrashing and if the games virtually over at half time they'll more than likely switch off. I know I'd rather watch a close game than a flogging no matter who's playing even if it is a low scoring game. Up until Rd 16 and before they got hit with injuries, the Dockers biggest losing margin was 25 points and 8 of their 22 games were decided by 7 points or less.

Maybe it all just comes down to money, especially in prime time. Under RTB the Dockers didn't score many goals and neither did their opposition. More goals mean more ads and more revenue for Channel 7. 

The bottom line is revenue via the TV advertising is king, we agree on that.
    In a perfect world every team should get a lick of the ice cream ie Friday night footy, but we know that won't happen.
    Handy crowd at the first AFLW Derby.

Despite taking 8 players from the Dockers the Eagirls fell well short of the required standard.