G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 39 Non Members

Stallions to WA

Breeding
What stallion's would people like to see come to stand in WA. (Within reason of course) 

Comments

• MinesACoronaMinesACorona    184 posts
    I would like to see Foxwedge.
    He has a substantial decline in numbers last breed season just 68 mares in comparison to 160 in 2017
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Magic Albert
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts

He has a substantial decline in numbers last breed season just 68 mares in comparison to 160 in 2017

Foxwedge predominately gets a three year old and above. I don't know if he would bbe readily accepted by WA Breeders for what would be still a premium service fee. He stood for the last two years at $22,000, never get that here.

Magic Albert should be retired, absolutely no.

Adelaide from Coolmore might be a rough chance if this season doesn't go that well.
    Foxwedge has just gone to Woodside and will stand for $16,500 incl
  • ManchildManchild    679 posts
    Where is Woodside ?
    Manchild said:

Where is Woodside ?

I believe it's in the ALP stronghold of Bendigo, Victoria. That's enough for you to say no I would think ?

LOL

Manchild likes this post.

• OhsomodestOhsomodest    67 posts
    Supido

Supido

He has served only one crop of more than 100 mares, I can't think of a reason why he would be moved
    edited April 2019

Regarding Supido, I think he’ll be underrated by the market. I like his pedigree. Wasn’t a superstar but nor were I Am Invincible or Snitzel.
  • BucksBucks    158 posts
    Bel Esprit, Magnus and Ocean Park
    Talked about Magnus coming here with a representative of Sun Stud, but the reason why it would almost never happen was the sheer number of owners in the Stallion. Then he hit the big time and it was well and truly not a consideration. I imagine Bel Esprit will see out his days there as a loyal servant he has been. Ocean Park, no idea. More chance getting All Too Hard.
  • BucksBucks    158 posts
    Damien have any studs over here considered looking at doing a deal with a proven eastern states based sire like a Magnus or Al Maher to bring them over here for single breeding season? It would have to be a stallion with an affordable service fee (around $10k-$15k) in order to appeal to both the smaller and larger breeders. I would have thought if you advertised it well in advance it would be well supported. If it was successful you could look to stand a new sire each season.

Bucks said:

Damien have any studs over here considered looking at doing a deal with a proven eastern states based sire like a Magnus or Al Maher to bring them over here for single breeding season? It would have to be a stallion with an affordable service fee (around $10k-$15k) in order to appeal to both the smaller and larger breeders. I would have thought if you advertised it well in advance it would be well supported. If it was successful you could look to stand a new sire each season.

Several years ago I had conversations with two very different people, both of varying influence in WA Breeding circles and the responses were interesting.

Firstly I mentioned to one, I have the opportunity to manage a Stallion and would he be interested in becoming a part of that ? 'Where is he going to stand?' not which stallion, not who else or how much, no 'where is he going to stand' I said here. The answer was a flat no. Mostly the reason given was that a $15,000 service fee was not achievable with the bargain basement mentality of local Breeders.

Second conversation was with someone not commercially orientated as such and when I spoke of that Stallion (a different one this was two years earlier) I was told that my choice would be laughed at by Breeders here in WA.

So when I was recently contacted, more for sounding out an idea of moving a well known Stallion that had lost favour in The East, I just said there was no momentum here at all and certainly no cohesive working attitude towards commercially viable bulls.

In respect to Magnus, prior to Magnifisio winning her Gr1, I actively pursued what was then Eliza Park, now Sun Stud, to get him relocated as his numbers were ever so slightly showing a decline and I believed in him quite strongly. She had come out of his first crop on the ground and like many Stallions, he suffered when his two year olds didn't do a whole lot needing time. He came out of the 2012 season covering less than 80 mares, so his future looked grim in an over populated market. But the sticking problem was his 50 or 51 owners, and most of them were sending along a mare or simply had made their money out of him in his first five seasons, so anything from there was profit on the deal.

So as far as securing a failing Stallion goes, it would have to be almost a complete commercial write off to be released, also to be affordable, or it simply just has too many issues such as fertility or throwing ordinary types even for a sales ring.

That's what we get here every year in WA. Someone else's problem.
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    AL MAHER would have been a ripper - I believe has changed hands for this season

Foxwedge predominately gets a three year old and above. I don't know if he would bbe readily accepted by WA Breeders for what would be still a premium service fee. He stood for the last two years at $22,000, never get that here.

Magic Albert should be retired, absolutely no.

Adelaide from Coolmore might be a rough chance if this season doesn't go that well.
    No chance of Adelaide being moved now, he has a potential superstar with Chris Waller called Funstar.
    No longer potential either
    Always liked Hallowed Crown and, being by Street Sense and from a good female line, I thought he’d be a good chance at stud. But his numbers seem low albeit his strike rate’s OK. He’s off to Twinhills to stand at &11k:
    https://twitter.com/anz_news/status/1242668497043222529?s=21
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Puissance De Lune would have been a great acquisition for WA ....but that particular bird looks to have flown now. 
    With the current set of conditions facing WA Breeders at the moment, falling mare numbers being served, Country Racing on the decline, ever decreasing yearlings being accepted into sales, Owners dropping left right and centre, it makes you think if breeding is simply not just a time to consolidate rather than expand.

DamienWyer likes this post.

Darley have announced this morning that their service fees have increased for Exceed and Excel ($132,000 up from $88,000) for Lonhro he has had a price drop from $77,000 to $66,000 they have two new stallions and the remainder of their roster decreases by around 20% across the board.

So what will WA Stud Owners do for this upcoming season ? There is really only ten Stallions that can have any significant movement in price as it is, the rest are inexpensive anyway. Something has to happen to arrest the decade long slide in mares being covered.
    edited April 2020
    Gr1 winner D'Argento (So You Think) has become available after being retired this week. A home is yet to be secured for him.

therealkramer likes this post.

Would D’Argento be suited here Damien? How much would you value him at?
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts

Gr1 winner D'Argento (So You Think) has become available after being retired this week. A home is yet to be secured for him.

If J Mac had counted to 11 instead of 9.5, would've won an Epsom. Instead, the horse ran a  close 2nd to Hartnell. Also famously acted as a pacemaker to Winx in her 4th and final Cox Plate win.

edited April 2020

Outstanding prospect for here. I have been in touch with the selling agent and a marketing packet is on the way to me. If you're interested I can forward it on to you. The asking price is exactly in line with my expectations and they are open to offers. Already they have had interest but the offers were unrealistic.

Here he is at the farm this week.

Something north of $500,000. asking price is for $1M but I think he will ultimately be a little more affordable than that. Ticks all the boxes for mine, had a look at him but you need to have or are willing to go and buy around 20 mares to support any Stallion you own. Hopefully the farm where he stands can also send maybe 10 or so and that gives you a modest base. He would be a very good Stallion to syndicate as he has plenty of upside and I'm sure you could interest maybe 20 people to take lifetime shares that would hopefully boost his numbers by another 20 or so mares for the first three years. Aim would be to get a base of 50 before you go to the marketplace selling serves. That would be the plan anyway.
    edited June 2020
    D'Argento has been secured by Bowness Stud in Young, NSW. He will stand for $16,500 in his first year. It will be interesting to track his career as I think he is one we missed out on in WA.
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    $16,500 wow

Had it have come here would have had to start at $7-$8k???
    Bearing in mind I had a buyer but no list of mares to launch him with, so it was not worthwhile in our market. However, I had run some numbers based on a $8,000 service fee and I thought he was more than viable, but the asking price was just too high for that anticipated return.

He may get a service fee of $16,500 in NSW but also the farm taking him on has plenty of mares that would have gone to The Hunter incurring fees, but now they will largely remain at home thus saving that Stud a fortune. He will get some outside mares as NSW is very over priced and the asking price is quite reasonable over there.

Here would have been another story. I think I had the right Stud but like I said, the new Owner would have had to go out and buy 30 mares just to get him off the ground.
  • Vincent_vegaVincent_vega    463 posts
    So who is going where for this breeding season?
  • Vincent_vegaVincent_vega    463 posts
    Sad to hear Im All The Talk passed away. Was getting some good horses.

jum likes this post.