G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 30 Non Members

The Other Ascot Preview for 20/4/19 by TMP

West Australian Racing
I guess it will be wet again. Look out for trainer's tips and then ..... probably ignore them.

Today's  meeting looked v interesting and with an opportunity I believe I would have been close (I always say that).

Now for tomorrow.

R/1 Two v v promising types here are 1 and 3.
City Circle raced today and one would think will be scratched.
The topweight has 2 from 2 on the soft; here come Chloe again.

R/2 Another distance race raffle here and they are even from week to week.

R/3 I like Velago here, an up and comer and I believe the sire does throw some that handle the wet.
Stoicism has won once in the wet and has B Kirby on who saluted in the last today.
Leading Man has P Hall up and the champ trainer.

R/4 I would think the fave is a cert here; right distance, handles the wet and the great trainer and jockey.

R/5 I can see two her, the problem horse Friaresque (gear change noted) and Battle Torque (both handle the wet.
The Tonka horse has exhausted me!

R/6 The topweight (with weight off though for Chloe) is v fast; no wet form but some of the Frost Giants seem to handle it.
But I can't believe the evens put up.
Molten goes in with no wet form but he created the Winterbottom like time last start I believe.
Then there are the 2 wet roughies Unencumbered and Dia De La Raza.

R/7 The fave has handled the wet before but is a bit short.
I like the topweight as he also handle the soft and when can reach the lead early is nigh on impossible to run down ( I like the new rider too).
Then there are numners 2,6,7,11 and 12. Turbo Power seems a v long price.

R/8 I'm going for the SM pair Sigil and Double Bubble; the latter may be one of those that grow another leg in the wet.
I will put in King's A as many of the Snitzels are swimmers.

That is it for me and let's hope for Good Luck on the day; winners are grinners and losers can please themselves.; always have a good meal planned and a good Cab Sauv will make a difference.
+1 -1

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited April 2019
    For a horse that mostly starts mostly @33/1 and better - they haven't missed him tomorrow, only about 5/2 ($3.50) however he's a 3200 metre sort of fellow - his last win was over the the two miles at Ascot on 21st April 2018.

Has been chomping at the bit for this one to come around again. Nice tune up in the Pinjarra Cup. Will never forget having 10 runners for third in the Kingston Town trifecta but leaving the 150/1 chance Dark Musket out, but have followed him with interest ever since, would like to see him win the WA Cup again.

Coincidentally a lot of heavy rain before the third in that KT too. His only start on the heavy for a third in a Group One. Seven runs on the slow for a single placing.

Will be keeping the fingers crossed for him - a win, if go back through his race record - will be a good and fascinating story.
    edited April 2019
    Not allowed to look up - but 3 guesses to recall who rode Dark Musket when running third at 150/1 in the 2015 Group One Kingston Town ? The winner was Perfect Reflection.

• pikerpiker    404 posts
    Rots, I'm still keen on CPWM; some of of his finishing efforts have been outstanding in the past.
    And I forgot about Midnight Sky in the 5th!
    edited April 2019
    One thing about Dark Musket and helps to explain why so short in the betting, we know he'll run the two miles but not interested in that, it's how fast he'll run it today is what counts!

Being run as race 4 - a bit unusual, thought a main race might be run later.
    Am actually abit of a fan for running the main race as last race of the day - at least occasionally - just for something different.
  • pikerpiker    404 posts
    In R/7 Resistance is also a sig chance; v unlucky last time.
    He tried hard Dark Musket and looked a possible winner near the corner, but very tired over the concluding stages, just fell into third.

The winner looked like he could've gone another two laps! Racing so consistently.