G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 16 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Getthechange your back have been missing your comments!!!
    From a punters perspective I would say the new system is working based on the amount of 10 to 1 plus pops that have been coming in over the past 8 to 10 weeks.
    My only concern however is the absence of the Bond camp in this time (don't know why and none of my business) and now we are seeing the Hall team starting to dominate again maybe as a result. However most of their winners and placegetters are returning good odds at the moment.
    As we all know good returns encourages punting which increases turnover which benefits everyone. So as both past trainer driver and owner I'm not too phased about what system is in place as long as it works for the benefit of the industry.
    I have been a critic of RWWA inaction for the past few years, however they have at least made a change and hopefully proven me and a few others wrong.
    Let's hope the long shots keep coming in.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    With the HWOE <$3000 races not holding up, will we see "reverse points races (both on selection and barrier draw preference) reappear to cater for the bottom horses? With them having to race way out of their class with predictable results that push them further down the scale,  there is currently zero future for them ....racing in their 4th and 5th preferance races in less than $12k HWOE races or even worse less than $25k races just so that they can continue racing (as opposed to staying home in the stable) seems ridiculous to me and they, their owners and trainers (primarily grassroots country hobbyists) will exit stage right....which is maybe why those races are falling over? Maybe they have already voted with their feet....I don't know, it is more of a question really.
    It is true that anecdotally, more value winners are emerging but until we see some data on both that and the anticipated boost to turnover, which was a primary aim of the new system, we can't really make informed comment. Surely there are some turnover figures available after 5 months of operation and why not release them? I think that communication was a serious downfall early on and I am not sure that much has changed.,whilst acknowledging responses to Industry feedback is slowly filtering through.
  • AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts
    Bunbury race 2, Voak goes to the outside instead of the sprint lane
    Presenting 3 back the fence with the perfect run.
    NFI

• GlenGlen    38 posts
    AbbysAce said:

NFI

Abbey do you think the result would of been any different?

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,888 posts
    Bit of a summation of Bunbury last night

Maras Ace Man they bet $9.50 and $2.40 - tiny $5 e/w bet - 1st up for Micky  G - wins its 2nd  race in 100 starts by a cricket pitch - comes home 56 and a bit - it led - greatly aided by the track down their

The Oaks - the winner 4 bag the pegs - got a miracle split . The 3rd horse Triple Brie  150-1 ( ran 2nd at Wagin Frid night ) 3 back the pegs - came to outside in the straight . The last race 9 1 8 leader bebind leader 3 pegs - thus if your betting their - you have to bet to that pattern- the last race you could have gone to sleep till the home turn

However for excitement ( re the spectacle ) give me - eg Glens of Tekoa flashing down the outside and wins in the last couple of strides - thats exciting - not this pegs rubbish - nonsense - which is Bunbury to a tee

Not talking out of my pocket - only had about $20 of bets their last night - just for an interest

• AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts
    Glen said:

AbbysAce said:

NFI

Dunno, but makes going to the outside a worse decision because it sprinted for 20 mts before it peaked, and no excuse as Voak as driven it nearly every start so should know its limited capabilties
  • ToepuntitToepuntit    241 posts
    AbbysAce said:

Glen said:

AbbysAce said:

NFI

Dunno, but makes going to the outside a worse decision because it sprinted for 20 mts before it peaked, and no excuse as Voak as driven it nearly every start so should know its limited capabilties
    It is his father In laws horse, I'd say he probably felt like the horse had enough left to run over the leader, maybe that's why he came to the outside
    Result for the Curmudge with ol Captain Croissant paying 9.20 the place ....and then, with extraordinarily high pools in Race 6, Most Definetly downs the 1.02 hotshot and pays $62.50 ($90 fixed) on a ripper day of racing at Kellerberrin.

VillageKid, curmudgeon likes this post.

• sonnysonny    1,053 posts
    Great to see Gregory get a winner,JJ

JayJay likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    edited April 2019
    JayJay said:

Result for the Curmudge with ol Captain Croissant paying 9.20 the place ....and then, with extraordinarily high pools in Race 6, Most Definetly downs the 1.02 hotshot and pays $62.50 ($90 fixed) on a ripper day of racing at Kellerberrin.

The Captain is like the team mascot around here JJ. Retired him 18 or so months ago but he kept looking over the gate and wanted to get back into the barn. Legs like iron and hale and hearty so will keep him afloat for a while.
    Funny coincidental thing.... after Captain Croissant won his first and only race Greg Schofield and I were talking and I mentioned that although it was only an R class race that with a breeders bonus and first win Westbred bonus he just about had squared up his cost to that time. Greg said that he was keeping Most Definitely going for the same reason ...she was sound, pleasant to have around and if she happened to fluke a win the bonuses were there waiting to be had and that really all the hard work had been done so why not just go to the races without too much expectation and enjoy the days. Couldn't be happier for him and Theresa that she found the line today. They are salt of the harness earth people.  
    ps...we were on the way home and the better half told me Most Definitely had won......plus she had 20% of the first four. Paid $1600 odd so chinese for dinner after we had fed the team. Love the Kellerberrin atmosphere....people going about their business with their horses in an understated but engaging fashion. Should be more of it.
    =D>
  • GlenGlen    38 posts
    AbbysAce said:

Glen said:

AbbysAce said:

NFI

If he goes to the inside and it sprints for 20 as you said that still allows everything to fan out and the winner still gets a great run straight thru and only has to shift 1 cart out and still wins so I think your been a bit harsh, also horses hard on a leaders back always sprint better when they go to the outside because that’s what they have been taught from day dot

• GlenGlen    38 posts
    Don’t know what happened with my response but will try again.
    If he goes to the inside and only sprints for 20 like you said the winner goes straight thru and only has to pull1 cart out and still wins so I think your been a bit harsh.
    Also horses normally sprint better coming out when they hard on the leaders back because that’s what they taught to do from day dot

Toepuntit likes this post.

Nothing like a "free" No 24, No 78, Fried rice special and some prawn crackers to celebrate a nice day. Couldn't agree more about Keller, the NE equivalent of Wagin, Busso and Collie and on a good day for lesser lights, Udyta Clarke lobbed a winner at Mornington today to give hope to all.

curmudgeon likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    An example of patience personified. Hezgot Fusion Power first up at GP tomorrow night after a seven year absence.  

He could run too, was a pretty serious horse...albeit a long time ago. Has his own little piece of history when he dead-heated with Clifford at GP..... both the "winners" were trained by John Graham with Kade Howson and Justin Prentice driving.  And remarkably, his current trainer Hayden Reeves had two runners in that dead-heat race. Useless piece of trivia, I know, but good luck to them.

My goodness, just looked up (Hezgot) Fusion Power NZ, no wonder he could run. One of the best bred horses I have ever looked up....in both blood and performance. 9 brothers and sisters, all winners, 4 in 1.55, from the Aberfeldy family (think Reba Lord, Magaera,  and dozens of really high class winners, great racing and breeding mare Black Watch who chased Young Quinn around). There is a good book in this breeding line, astounding.
  • sonnysonny    1,053 posts
    When Greg had that good mare (S.G) the media was always ringing him. Now that probably dont know he exits.. How fickle.. Its people like him ..  that are the heart of the industry. imo... Go Greg Go....

JayJay, curmudgeon likes this post.

Mighty Santana defied a considerable betting drift with an easy win at Pinjarra. As much as $5.50 available on Betfair.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,716 posts
    What happened to Kade Howson?
    Winner of the first Poised To Pounce, fortunately also a drifter out $4.10 :D has some breeding behind him. Grandma is  is Spirit Of Beth, dam of Bethany who threw a handy one called Lazarus. Patient owners, there have been a lot of slipped/missed foals through the generations, so another reward for persistence.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited April 2019
    First four dividend on the final event at Kelleberrin - $1.50 fave first - S. Suvaljko - gate 2, then drawn right next door in the one is E. Suvaljko - went ok, will work around Shannon to lead and Emily to trail on the 10 year old mare and anchor her for 2nd and 3rd...spent bugger all for a small % .

$1.50 fave never in doubt, Emily rolls into a place - that's good - might pay a few hundred, but the fave was very short, and it was a 2,1 combo, plus only eight runners, goodness gracious, it paid 2.5k!

• getthechangegetthechange    310 posts
    JayJay said:

With the HWOE <$3000 races not holding up, will we see "reverse points races (both on selection and barrier draw preference) reappear to cater for the bottom horses? With them having to race way out of their class with predictable results that push them further down the scale,  there is currently zero future for them ....racing in their 4th and 5th preferance races in less than $12k HWOE races or even worse less than $25k races just so that they can continue racing (as opposed to staying home in the stable) seems ridiculous to me and they, their owners and trainers (primarily grassroots country hobbyists) will exit stage right....which is maybe why those races are falling over? Maybe they have already voted with their feet....I don't know, it is more of a question really.
    It is true that anecdotally, more value winners are emerging but until we see some data on both that and the anticipated boost to turnover, which was a primary aim of the new system, we can't really make informed comment. Surely there are some turnover figures available after 5 months of operation and why not release them? I think that communication was a serious downfall early on and I am not sure that much has changed.,whilst acknowledging responses to Industry feedback is slowly filtering through.

Jay Jay - according to my figures which I have been keeping since January 11th there have been 27 HWOE LT $3000 races programmed of which 22 have been run and five deleted - there were a further 7 restricted to mares and four of those were deleted but on three of those four meetings where the mares was deleted there was a LT $3000 race conducted at that meeting

Like yourself I also don't know whether or not people are voting with their feet

I would also like to see more communication and hopefully that may happen now that RWWA are getting people into positions. It shouldn't be forgotten that shortly after the handicapping system introduction that RWWA retrenched staff including the handicapper and some time later the racing manager took leave which one would assume left too few doing too much 

There appears to be more horses winning at value but don't have figures to back that up

JayJay likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    The GP Prime provincial prizemoney upgrade isn't having much effect. The meeting this afternoon is the worst numbers wise that I can recall. Just 6 races...only one full field of 12, two fields of 9 two of 7 and one of 6 horses after a scratching.
    Terrible numbers. 
    It's ok to be aspirational class wise but it looks like the programs may be catering for a non existant or shrinking population in some of those classes. 

Betonme likes this post.

edited April 2019
    Tough old day on the punt today, but luckily there's always one more throw of the dice and that's to have three each way bets at Narrogin and back Shannon Suvaljko.

Opening race $4.20 from gate 1 - led, rated and never going to lose.

Then Glens Of Takoa - got him into the perfect spot - each way odds again - good work SS.

Cut Above - better than each way odds - bingo - he's done it again!

All up tote odds on the three winners approaching 104/1.

curmudgeon, VillageKid, savethegame likes this post.

edited April 2019
    First race at Narrogin - very unusual for a horse @$4.20 to get it that easy in front.

The well backed second favourite going to the pegs and pocketed - that was handy!

The quiet no move on the odds on favourite from the one out one back - that's even better!

Interesting event that first race.

Cant_Refuse dislikes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Any one else witness the crap the sky presenter did transfering kellerberrin race 5 to the blue channel   ( 527) when sandown dog had 2min..10 seconds to start time, so we watched the track until the dogs were loaded and the race was ran 1min..10 seconds late, in this time I flicked over to 527 to see what transpired the kella race was run with 7 seconds, to spare prior to sandown dog 8 starting  they usually pull this crap on stands in w.a.

VillageKid likes this post.

edited April 2019
    Recall the Sunday when Moreira was going for six or seven winners in Hong Kong - atmosphere electric - everybody in expectation - about three horses to move in to the barrier, Sky presenter - "we'll move Hong Kong and go to Canberra greyhounds" - not a dishlicker within sight - track barren.

Moreira and millions and millions of dollars in the pools.
    $138 in the doggy win pool and $47 in the place pool.

Offthebit likes this post.

And the horse that nobody likes to back, it's only won 5 out of its last 7 with a couple of 2nds thrown in against much stronger company than today, wins again....$2.65 and $1.60 the place???? Unbelievable.
    Big anomaly in Race 8 at Kellerberrin. Flying Phoebe $1.40 on two totes and $14.60 and $3.80 on Ubet. Only problem was the pools $138 and $94.
  • ToepuntitToepuntit    241 posts
    Yeah see some hefty odds when there is minimal in the pools