Westspeed 54

Platinum 26

Non qualified 7

Stakes winners

Interstate bred 29

WA bred 20 + 1

RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    So if you want to win a Stakes race you have a better chance wtih an interstate stallion......

Westspeed, supporting the WA Industry like never before...hahaha
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    But Rio that is the point of running this year long record. As I have mentioned before, if I was just providing Saturday results, the numbers would be embarrassing. If Bob Peters keeps going the way he is at the moment, I will run three categories in the future. Bob bred, Interstate bred and WA bred. I think Bob would still win.

RIO likes this post.

This weekend's Karrakatta Plate is exactly 50/50 on those bred locally and those bred in the East. It's a very big race for Safeguard in real terms, if either of his runners could pinch this it would be a huge boost for local breeding.

After 3 April

Interstate bred 178

Wa bred 249 + 9

Westspeed 57

all else unchanged
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    edited April 2019
    Yes, because it's all 100% to do with those Stallions.
    It has nothing at all to do with the Mares they cover, the way their handled, foaled, raised, fed, handled again, halter trained, taught ot get on and off a float, broken in, educated, shoed, vetted or trained.

Really, if you want to compete with Bob all you need to do is put any old bunky mare to one of his Stallions, throw her in a paddock out back for 4 years or so, go and grab the now 3 year old resultant foal and nominate it for the Guineas - bingo, instant half a millionaire !
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    ^^^^ :)) :)) :))

Now Now Tivers, we all know at least 1 redneck who has tried that and failed........Although i think i can just see through the mire of sarcasm there!!!!!

If the bull was the only equation to a winner, let alone a stakes winner i'm pretty sure there'd be a lot more owners hanging around and a lot more horses being bred.

I am still on the ...Westspeed not being the benefit for the local industry that it should be.. Band wagon. The Westspped bonus has allowed the more successful people put a margin between them and all others....And the margin is even wider now.

10 years ago when Westspeed was starting to gain momentum the midweek prize-money was half the Saturday Prizemoney, so a battler doing okay could get his money back and try to upgrade. On Wednesday just past there were 3 races with stakes of 24.5k, compared to this Saturday where there is only 1 race that is less than double those stakes..So 8 of the 9 races you are running around for more than double the stakes money.

So when you put the Westspeed Bonus Scheme into play the void between a midweek runner and  Saturday runner is enormous. And doesn't provide enough reward to allow the mid week winner/battler to upgrade. In fact the returns for a midweek winner wont keep an animal in training fees for the year. There fore to keep up with the better stakes and bonuses you have to invest heavily in East Coast bulls to have a good chance of being a Saturday winner, or in fact a survivor in the industry.

RWWA hacve engineered the demise of many country tracks and clubs beautifully and the leading participants in the racing industry have got on board for massive personal gain at the expense of the industry. I hold no blame against the industry participants. As they need to survivor. But RWWA????? As the funder and manager of the racing industry has done an extremely good job of ensuring the top end of town are financially viable...at any cost....

I agree 100% RE the spread in WestSpeed payments.
    Have submitted that should always be pegged to the race stake as a fixed %.
    The bonus now on a Saturday can now be as much as 100%, provincials as low as 40%.
    Why should that be ?
    Should be a flat rate regardless - eg 70%
    After 6th April 2019

Interstate wins 182

WA bred 254 + 9

Westspeed 58

Platinum 27

Stakes Winners

Interstate 31

WA bred 20 + 1

After 10th April

Interstate wins 183

WA bred 259 + 9

Westspeed 59

remainder unchanged
    After 13th April 2019

Interstate bred 186

WA bred 265 + 9

Westspeed 60

Platinum 29

Stakes winners

Interstate 32

WA bred 21 + 1
    What is missing from this discussion is the fact that you have to win to earn the bonus. Time and time again, WA Stallions have found to be inferior when racing in better quality races at both 2 & 3yo. The notion of no name mares going to no name Stallions as suggested is futile. It is the thinking of bargain hunters who will forever be beaten by quality.

Instead of WA Breeders operating independently, why won't they form a consortium to source  a reasonable prospect. WA Breeders also need to be retaining through purchasing well performed WA mares, allowing them to be sold East is a continuing dumbing down of our resources.

Not many will be happy with this proposal, everyone will have their own ideas, but one thing is for sure, whatever happens it won't be enough.
    After 20th April

Interstate bred 191

WA bred 275 + 10

Westspeed 63

Platinum 31

Unqualified 8

Stakes Winners

Interstate bred 33

WA bred 22 + 1
    After 25th April

Interstate bred 194

WA bred 280 + 10

Westspeed 66

Platinum 32

remainder unchanged

RIO likes this post.

After 27th April

Interstate bred 195

WA bred 286 + 10

Westspeed 67

Platinum 34

remainder unchanged
    Locals pulling away
    That's true but it's also quality. The quality horses are for the most part having a rest. The recent black type racing has been ordinary as standards go.
    After 1st May

Interstate bred 198

WA bred 289 + 11

Westspeed 70

Platinum 34

Non qualified 8

All else unchanged
    After 4th May

Interstate bred 201

WA bred 294 + 11

Westspeed 70

Platinum 36

all else unchanged
    After 8th May

Interstate bred 203

WA bred 299 + 11

Westspeed 74

all else unchanged
    After 11th May

Interstate bred 204

WA bred 306 + 11

Westspeed 75

Platinum 39

all else unchanged
    After 15 May

Interstate bred 206

Wa bred 311 + 11

Westspeed 79

all else unchanged
    Getting dire for the interstate brigade
    Maybe looking at these numbers but Saturday's and Stakes Races I think they well and truly hold their own.

RIO likes this post.

After 18th May

Interstate bred 209

WA bred 316 + 11

Westspeed 80

Platinum 40

Unqualified 9

Stakes Races

Interstate 34

WA bred 22 + 1
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Tivers said:

Getting dire for the interstate brigade

hahahahaha...thank god for UR and Blackfriars
    I can't see how it is going to get any better for WA Sires in three or four years time. The new Stallions and what is currently still going along here outside of maybe five bulls, have got no chance of making an impression based on what they will attract in mares.

If you had a well bred, well performed mare here retiring this season, why would you risk it going to anything say listed under $6,000 (except Patronize but he is too cheap anyway) . It's either under performing or simply can't.