G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 28 Non Members

WAFL 2019.

Sport

Comments

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    As a Swans supporter Goose it is hard to be as enthusiastic as I have always been for the WAFL as we are quite simply appalling and have been for far too long.
    I agree tho it is good to see Perth doing well and I for one am not surprised SF are going as well as they are as they are now a helluva lot quicker with those veterans retiring.
  • goosegoose    1,628 posts
    Yer disappointing Swannies arent doing well Adam Pickering does seem a very good coach so hopefully can turn it around losing Palmer didnt help they need 2 more senior players.
    Coaching is a results based job at the end of the day and Pickering currently has about a 27% winning record.....no where near good enough in League football!
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Delighted to see Subiaco get run over by the Karma Bus. The East Perth side, which is a collection of licorice all sorts, with respect, some barely better than good country players has a morale boosting win over the West Coast Reserves....easily.....they should have on talent and reputation belted the pants off the Royals and am not sure what that says about their commitment to the concept. I agree that the 10 team concept which eliminates the bye at LEAGUE level (Reserves and Colts still cop the bye when you play West Coast) is a better look.
    Seems to have been a pretty ordinary effort from the well heeled apartment dwellers surrounding the Claremont redevelopment on the weekend.....pretty brave to be throwing alcohol enhanced pies from the comfort of your apartment balcony..

VillageKid, jum, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
     I think the deathnell or disaster for me with the WAFL was when the ABC lost the rights ( i dont watch commercial tv - it is a heap of shiit - plus all the adds )

But when you knew that each Sat afternoon they  where covering the game - i wouldnt watch the whole game - but on and off i would probably watch 40-60 minutes - and you found it a bit refreshing at times - because the AFL is so rigid

However since they lost the rights - i dont watch any WAFL

VillageKid, jum, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

I tend to agree Marko I pretty much avoid Ch 7,9 & 10 like the plague!

Markovina, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited May 2019
    Couldn't agree more with the ABC - and commercial free!

We got the chocolates with the Bulldogs - now for something even more amazing - $ubiaco to lose two games in a row!!

Yes the Tigers will come out roaring this week.Just hoping the Lions don't roar louder!
    edited May 2019
    Being East Perth, Collingwood and a leftie was not surprised at two of the results - but was shocked at the Royals!

Amazing win by a true traditional club ( again ).

Couldn't agree more with the ABC - and commercial free!

We got the chocolates with the Bulldogs - now for something even more amazing - $ubiaco to lose two games in a row!!

Yes the Tigers will come out roaring this week.Just hoping the Lions don't roar louder!

I wonder who those “well to do” Claremont supporters on their apartment balcony will target from Subiaco for personal abuse this week?!?!
    edited May 2019
    Beating Swans at Basso or South at Freo was as good as it gets as a Royals supporter.
    There was one thing better though and that was beating Claremont anywhere!

This week is a huge opportunity for the Tigers - they've had two tests so far this season - against Perth - lost. Against West Coast - lost....now they have the Lions on the rebound - I'm tipping the Tiger's to win and turn the corner to a Bulldogs v Claremont GF!

VillageKid likes this post.

Beating Swans at Basso or South at Freo was as good as it gets as a Royals supporter.
    There was one thing better though and that was beating Claremont anywhere!

This week is a huge opportunity for the Tigers - they've had two tests so far this season - against Perth - lost. Against West Coast - lost....now they have the Lions on the rebound - I'm tipping the Tiger's to win and turn the corner to a Bulldogs v Claremont GF!

I would have thought beating WP anywhere including the Moon Oval would have been right up there for an EP supporter (and SD supporter) Riders?!
    edited May 2019

The Sharks haven't struck a blow since they sacked Steve Malaxos who wins and losses wise did quite well with them.

If they didn't kick 7.28 or something like that in the 2014 Prelim Final against Subiaco, they would probably have beaten EP a week later in the GF in atrocious conditions - the same way Subi did.

Malaxos did a lot better at Old Easts that many gave him credit for. Put it this way - since he was booted - they've been deplorable.

And yet they EF easily pulled the Black Ducks pants down at Basso last weekend.
    Probably shows how bad SD are going and have been for far too long only Perth with a worse record over the last 25 years who are well and truly on the improve this season!
    Yes now West Perth - well use to watch the Leederville Oval games way up on that big bank so was as far away from members stand as possible, although one day did watch a game closer to the stand and they were loud and passionate!

East Perth v West Perth games back then always played in good spirit, tough but fair, often at frantic speed.
    edited May 2019
    Will have to see how it all pans out....only early days still....but $ubi on top of Claremont. Hmmmmm.
    Just $1.95 were Claremont. Seriously.

East Perth leading the Bulldogs 9 goals to 6. What the ?!!!! That will be the upset of upsets if that keeps going. $1.12 were South.

Black Ducks were just $1.35 to beat West Coast. Terrible odds but looks ok so far.

Sharks on top of the Demons and another upset by the Sharks could be looming.

Will be interesting to see how these games develop over the four quarters.
    Just $1.17 were the Perth Demons - good luck if anybody took that, looking a bit shaky to say the least.

Big game for the Tigers and once again so far a let down. One of the worst teams to bet on, them and Peel!
    Royals go down by a solitary point at Fremantle Oval to the $1.12 favourites - that's a huge effort.
    Sharks bite Perth in a big upset. Demons just $1.17.

Subi too good for Claremont. Tigers you're sacked. That'll mean they will win easily next week!
    Black Ducks too good for West Coast. Bookies had that right - just $1.35 were Swans.

A good day for the WAFL.
    East Perth amazing improvement.
    Sharks back in the race.
    Tigers like the old channel 9 ad and famous song - still the same.
    A win to Swans over the Eagles - who's complaining about that ?!
    The WAFL going real well this year worth a look as soon as the Eagles ressies get a few injuries they are beatable dont have much real depth which is good for all concerned.
    Riders South were coming off a short break and big win but East Perth are doing incredibly well thought they would struggle to win a game but Jeremy Barnard might be an outstanding coach by the looks of it.
    edited May 2019
    For sure goose it is difficult to back up sometimes after a big win and with the short break, though have seen some East Perth teams get walloped at Fremantle Oval, a team definetly playing for their new coach. Good to see them a club again.

Sharks got to give credit to them too. Whether they can sustain it is another chapter to unfold.

Mentioned the legendary Bob Seger's song, "Still The Same" it came out in 1978 and we all know who won the WAFL Premiership that year in driving rain.

A possible good omen for this year's flag ? No probably getting a bit carried away there, but can tell you who won't be winning it - my early tip Claremont!

Still relatively early days, but once again coming up short when it matters.
    edited May 2019
    Actually two different songs by me there - it was "Still The One" by Orleans that Channel 9 later used the words to promote their advertisement. Think came out in 76 - Royals made the GF that year too!

Then "Still The Same" Bob Seger in 1978.
    Bad luck Demons... going for three flags in a row against a slow East Perth team in 78 and it rained cats and dogs. Until this very day they've never recovered!
    Tight one at Joondalup tied up in the last quarter dont know why they are playing on a Saturday evening? long ride home to Mandurah for some of the Peel boys if they lose.
    edited May 2019
    Yes West Perth and Peel Thunder looked a tough one.
    Good to see underdogs doing well.

I've followed sports betting quite awhile now and can assure punter's backing favourites in sport consistently is deadly.

Was just reading recently - the % of $1.20 - 1/5 shots that should win is way lower than the % that do.

On this particular sport ( overseas admittedly ) only 55% of the time did the $1.20 shot win - blimey that's remarkable.

Best system - if you like the underdog - and think their a winning chance - back them at the LINE.

Worst system - backing teams at odds of $1.17 like Perth today and South at $1.12 - a lot to put on to win little. It's amazing how often they lose or just fall in - like South today.
    edited May 2019
    Also today just as much as ever - perhaps even more so - the underdog backs to the wall, nobody expects us to win, it can push competitors to their absolute best.

Favourites will win, but the underdog spirit is alive and well. That's where the "value" is. Finding the right underdog to back at the line is the trick and will be searching for one tomorrow!

Have to think their a chance of winning too - or no bet - if think they can win - then will go the line - it gives insurance!

It's not easy though and easier said than done.

VillageKid likes this post.

Riders in the WAFL this season Subi (yet again), SF & Claremont look to be the best 3 sides in order, Perth, WP, Peel, EF, EP & WCE (when they get some injured players back) are all pretty even and it just might depend on home ground advantage on any given week as to who might start favourite amongst that group whilst SD look to be off the pace of the rest of the field I must unfortunately say yet again.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

The TAB might wind Subiaco out a notch losing Deluca and Mayo to the mid season draft great to see Richmond draft Marlon Pickett who had only played the one game this season last week for South Fremantle hope he does well.

spinking, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    See a bit of a pattern developing there with Richmond and the Aboriginal boys
    edited May 2019
    Just browsing at the fixtures for this weekend.
    Like to see the odds first for any ( perceived ) value. They come out Friday.

Perth v Swans - Demons need to bounce back - but interested to see the line on this one.

Claremont v West Coast - here we go...how would you know ?!! Tiger's will be short in the betting, should win comfortably but thanks but no thanks.

Peel v Subi - non betting games Peel they've done me too often! Am interested in the head start though. Would like a good line there ( betting line! ) and might be interested.

Old Easts v Bulldogs - East Freo's record in Derby's in recent years shocking, had some big hiding's, might be closer this time but would want reasonable head start.

East Perth v West Perth - leaning the Cardie's here...need to see the Royals do it one more time.
    edited May 2019
    Odds for this week's round are out.
    Perth only slight faves over Swans - staying out of that one but favouring the Demons.

Claremont $1.30 should win comfortably - but good luck with them.

South $1.24 and Sharks $4. South but their short and Sharks are overdue to get close to them.

Subi $1.10 to win and Peel have a 38.5 head start at the line, no doubt I'll fall for Peel at the line.

West Perth are $1.72 to overcome East Perth and that's my lock of the week! Cardies to win.
    Absolute cracker of a game at Lathlain Oval today saw the Demons get up by 6 points Swans hung on all day until the last 5 minutes after the Demons dominated the second half,
    Great oval to watch WAFL with great atmosphere there usually recommend it.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

If the Demon's make the finals and get a home final at Lathlain - I'm there. It's been such along time. First ever WAFL Grand Final went to was South Fremantle v Perth 1970 aged 7.

Then to see them make grand finals in 1974, beat my Royals in 76, win it again in 77 before going so close again in 78, hated them! Haha. Superbly coached by Ken Armstrong in the mid 70's.

Not a cracker since...a rare final appearance, knocked out fast, many "unplaced" efforts and wooden spoon's along the journey...yep for nostalgia will be at Lathlain Park for a home final and barracking for them...unless EP can pull off a miracle and happen to be playing them.

All going well and a fine day and there's good exposure about Perth making the finals again - a crowd of 7 or 8000 would be great. Dare say 10,000!
    edited June 2019
    Bookies were almost spot on about the game - Perth were slight faves with the line around 6 points.

Great thing about Swans and Perth - they've retained their strong suburban identies - the Black Ducks at Bassendean and the Redlegs at Lathlain.

Did read somewhere recently about a possible West Perth move back to Leederville Oval. Can't see that happening, it's almost as silly as them leaving in the first place.

As far as East Perth giving up Perth Oval 8-|

And for all those who were trying to push the Demon's out to Gosnells and Kelmscott - get real. That would've put them back another 30 years.