G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 1 Non Members

Nearly that time!

Breeding
DharrisDharris    67 posts
Who’s everyone thinking of going to this year? I’ve got two to breeed, was actually thinking of maybe sending one to Maschino. ????
+1 -1

silky, Chelsea likes this post.

Comments

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    If i go anywhere it'll be UR or Snippetson..both got enough winners to get get a good retunr

Dharris, The_Bull likes this post.

• silkysilky    342 posts
    War Chant, Mahuta, Playing God, Machino and Awesome Rock

Dharris likes this post.

• DharrisDharris    67 posts
    RIO said:

If i go anywhere it'll be UR or Snippetson..both got enough winners to get get a good retunr

How do you mean? Are you thinking of not breeding this year??
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Yep...broke as a church mouse and one i just sent to the trainers has come back with a "shoot it as soon as it comes off the float" recommendation, so that dashed the hope i had that it might put a bit in the kitty to go again.

We have a nice looking black-friars filly that we'll probably have to send to the sales so that we can have one last fling at the caper in 2020 breeding year......Or we will just head off to the greyhounds where our strike rate has been a lot better

Dharris likes this post.

• The_BullThe_Bull    918 posts
    Sending Patapus to the barn this season and she will more than likely go to Snippetson. The bulk of his better performed progeny are from Danehill line mares like her. The other option would be UR, which gives a 4x5 to the superior mare "Dancing Show". (Rasmussen Factor).

Have another mare that would probably go to Maschino if we choose to breed from her.

Dharris likes this post.

I’ve got a Saxon mare and a thundergulch mare.
    RIO said:

Yep...broke as a church mouse and one i just sent to the trainers has come back with a "shoot it as soon as it comes off the float" recommendation, so that dashed the hope i had that it might put a bit in the kitty to go again.

We have a nice looking black-friars filly that we'll probably have to send to the sales so that we can have one last fling at the caper in 2020 breeding year......Or we will just head off to the greyhounds where our strike rate has been a lot better

Yikes. That’s no good. Well keep us all posted if you need some help. Would be good to see good things coming from the forum. I know if a few good places to agist. $30-$50 per week. Huge paddocks and no hard feed required.
    The_Bull said:

Sending Patapus to the barn this season and she will more than likely go to Snippetson. The bulk of his better performed progeny are from Danehill line mares like her. The other option would be UR, which gives a 4x5 to the superior mare "Dancing Show". (Rasmussen Factor).

Have another mare that would probably go to Maschino if we choose to breed from her.

Nice mare. Universal ruler has had a rippin year!
    My plans have changed. I’ll now be going to Bondi haha
  • MinesACoronaMinesACorona    184 posts
    This season will be using Awesome Rock, All American, Demerit, Galah, Universal Ruler & War Chant. May use Vert De Greece heard from some that he has a nice crop. Patronize was on the list but I'm hearing some fertility issues?

Dharris likes this post.

• whereamigoingwrongwhereamigoingwrong    260 posts
    Go Jimmy Choux

Dharris likes this post.

This season will be using Awesome Rock, All American, Demerit, Galah, Universal Ruler & War Chant. May use Vert De Greece heard from some that he has a nice crop. Patronize was on the list but I'm hearing some fertility issues?

His fertility stats look ok on the studbook. He’s rising 17, give him a break :))

Go Jimmy Choux

What’s his service fee going to be?
  • whereamigoingwrongwhereamigoingwrong    260 posts
    $4,500 & gst

Dharris likes this post.

Dharris said:

His fertility stats look ok on the studbook. He’s rising 17, give him a break :))

I haven't looked on ASB but have heard from a number of sources and some that had no success last season that there may be an issue. Obviously could be bad luck on their behalf. 

Dharris likes this post.

Dharris said:

I haven't looked on ASB but have heard from a number of sources and some that had no success last season that there may be an issue. Obviously could be bad luck on their behalf. 

Yeah I guess it’s tough without knowing the mares situation. You always try if you really like him.
    Any breeding experts have suggestions for thundergulch/the minstrel cross?
    What is the mares name probably easier to match her knowing the full pedigree
    Dharris said:

What is the mares name probably easier to match her knowing the full pedigree

Dharris said:

Sorry, I often forget to check this site. Her name it’s Wahwahtusi. I just got her. She’s dry atm. And before you say it, she’s a sentimental breed.

MinesACorona likes this post.

I'd be looking at the like of,
    All American,
    Alot
    I'm A The Talk
    War Chant

I'm not a fan of seeing the same mare return to the same stallion over and over again with any significant success

To quote Albert
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

Dharris likes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts

All American,
    Alot
    I'm A The Talk
    War Chant

I'm not a fan of seeing the same mare return to the same stallion over and over again with any significant success

To quote Albert
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

First three are in a different league to the last Stallion

Dharris likes this post.

All American,
    Alot
    I'm A The Talk
    War Chant

To quote Albert

First three are in a different league to the last Stallion

How so?
    War Chant is reasonably well proven

I would say All American is pretty well proven also, 2 Gr1 winners and I read that his progeny prize money this year is lengths ahead of his WA rivals?

The I'm All The Talks look like good sorts and could have a bright future.

Alot is a nice horse who I expect will few some very nice types
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    edited June 2019

I would say All American is pretty well proven also, 2 Gr1 winners and I read that his progeny prize money this year is lengths ahead of his WA rivals?
    You heard wrong then.............
    All American - 83rd Nationally, $2,16m, 126 starters
    Trails..........

Snippetson - 57th, $2.85m, 162 starters
    Universal Ruler - 59th, $2.77m, (only) 82 starters

Then just behind AA is Patronise - 85th, $2.13m, (only) 66 starters
    Based on just performance alone, and simply not knowing who your mare is by, for you not to mention Universal Ruler indicates that you are prepared to disregard both performance and selling prospects as a yearling.

But if I consider yearlings, for a first crop stallion to justify purchasing his offspring, that is largely due to the damline as he is not proven. He may have been a reasonable racehorse, but unless he is a multiple Gr1 winner and in WA that is doubtful, then I have to disregard him and look at the dam, what she has produced or what her half sisters have produced. That's how I look at the stock of stallion's such as Alot and I'm All The Talk. If I'm wrong, then I will pay more happily in five years for them.

All American is a different matter. He has a track record that can be assessed and for mine, unless the yearling was exceptional from a great family, I couldn't. That's a choice I made several years ago and due to his low numbers being offered at sales, it's something that I don't regret in the slightest. 

When it's all said and done, Universal Ruler is having a break out year, I have a very nice one growing in a paddock down South that broke in beautifully and encourages all who are around him. The three Snippetsons I bought last year are a concern for varying reasons, mostly through lack of performance or just even getting to the races they take a lot of time especially when they are big like two of the three.

I'm also surprised that with your support of two Mungrup Stallions, that you didn't also mention Oratorio. He is miles in front of where those two will ever be.

But Breeding is a personal decision.

Based on just performance alone, and simply not knowing who your mare is by, for you not to mention Universal Ruler indicates that you are prepared to disregard both performance and selling prospects as a yearling.

But if I consider yearlings, for a first crop stallion to justify purchasing his offspring, that is largely due to the damline as he is not proven. He may have been a reasonable racehorse, but unless he is a multiple Gr1 winner and in WA that is doubtful, then I have to disregard him and look at the dam, what she has produced or what her half sisters have produced. That's how I look at the stock of stallion's such as Alot and I'm All The Talk. If I'm wrong, then I will pay more happily in five years for them.

All American is a different matter. He has a track record that can be assessed and for mine, unless the yearling was exceptional from a great family, I couldn't. That's a choice I made several years ago and due to his low numbers being offered at sales, it's something that I don't regret in the slightest. 

When it's all said and done, Universal Ruler is having a break out year, I have a very nice one growing in a paddock down South that broke in beautifully and encourages all who are around him. The three Snippetsons I bought last year are a concern for varying reasons, mostly through lack of performance or just even getting to the races they take a lot of time especially when they are big like two of the three.

I'm also surprised that with your support of two Mungrup Stallions, that you didn't also mention Oratorio. He is miles in front of where those two will ever be.

But Breeding is a personal decision.

Please read the previous posts where the pedigree is somewhat stated. These 4 stallions are my suggestions based on the info given and what the studs think work.

UR has had a great 18 months and should rightly be supported, by no means am I discrediting him.

Also the All American figure I seen was for world wide prize money. That is where my confusion was
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Ahhhh, could well be.
    didn't think of that.

to be fair though - that's also off a hell of a lot more runners, and also still Arrowfield (quality) mares at this point.
    Not WA mares.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    I have a mare that is well matched to UR and AA........

Based on results, i wouldn't even consider going to AA instead of UR. UR is cheaper and getting results in WA with WA mares, against some very nice stallions.

In my opinion, another 2 or 3 years with similar results to the last 2 or 3 on the track, and UR could arguably be our next UR, Bletchley Park type stallion.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    RIO said:

I have a mare that is well matched to UR and AA........

Based on results, i wouldn't even consider going to AA instead of UR. UR is cheaper and getting results in WA with WA mares, against some very nice stallions.

In my opinion, another 2 or 3 years with similar results to the last 2 or 3 on the track, and UR could arguably be our next UR, Bletchley Park type stallion.
    That was meant to read Blackfriars, Bletchely Park type of stallion

Dharris likes this post.

• ChelseaChelsea    1,369 posts
    edited June 2019
    Mashino has some very impressive types up coming.Kieran McDonagh has 4 in his stable at the moment,including one very special filly.A yet to be named 2yo