G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 4 Non Members

Golden Slipper 13/7

Harness & Greyhounds
Interesting race on Saturday Night. It has come along way since its first incarnation in 1968....a standing start over a mile worth $1365 with trainer/drive Vince Chalker successful with Sordice rating 2.14.4. In the only other standing start version of the race one year later, Little Edward started from the 12 yard handicap for Phil Coulson rating 2.9.0. The first mobile edition of the race in 1970 went to Dollars Double rating a blistering 2.12.5, again for Phil Coulson. Since those early days, the race has blossomed and produced dozens of champions.....the first "imported" champions like Zaruma (John Deane), Full  Draw (Les Marriott), Mark Tabella (Ben Geerson) and Whispering Campaign (Val Pereira)  before the incomparable junior San Simeon restored order in 1979 for Lou Austin. Was there a better winner than Chandon in for FRK and (quiz night question) trainer Ainslie Williams in 1992? Mitch McGuire currently holds the race record of 1.55.9 over the extended 2130m journey, just in front of Franco Edwards 1.56.0 from last year.
Time will tell if there are any future champs in this years edition which interestingly includes a maiden getting into the filed in advance of the two emergencies who do have winner status. Jasper drawing the ace would appear very hard to beat but I suspect it will be a pressure race with a few prepared to have a real crack in an even field. Major Martini from gate 11 to get a good run into the race and is close to the best two year this season and I think it should win.
+1 -1

VillageKid likes this post.

Comments

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Chris Lewis has won eight golden slippers, he drives manning ,seven horses have done the pearl golden slipper double,,manning won this years pearl.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    Yes, it is a hard race to line up, lots of chances, even the maiden Advance Your Dreams has drawn well and does have reasonable albeit non winning form. American Colt appears to be a bit stiff as Em 2 ....surprise is  no Caveman, he must have been spelled. Still like Major Martini but haven't seen early markets.
  • MorganJamesMorganJames    173 posts
    Sweet Maddison is the stiffest horse to miss out she has won a City class race. in a 1.57.5 over 2130m
    She made up ground outwide last week as well
    Advance Your Dreams has been following the pegs in her last 3 starts when she did breeze she got beaten 50 meters.
    Surely winning City form has to be better form.

JayJay likes this post.

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Looked at field yesterday and thought both emergencies were a bit hard done by. Found it difficult to justify advance your dreams getting in over these two. Backed it last week and it fell in for third after a very soft run. Would be really peeved if I was in Sweet Maddison camp.

JayJay, Gilgamesh, curmudgeon likes this post.

• rooster321rooster321    186 posts
    Only reason advance your dream could of got a start ahead of the two emergencies is cause of the trainer simple as that
    Not a bad thing both kiwis are emg....ten westbreds in great for local breeding industry....

curmudgeon likes this post.

Saturday May 18th GP 2YO Pace $18,000:

1st Sweet Maddison
    2nd Power And Grace    8.2m
    3rd Vallani Magic           24.6m
    4th Jaxon Jones            28.8m
    5th Manning                   81.9m
    6th Major Martini           108.2m

Mile Rate 1.57.5

Was the night that Martini shied at a tent or something inside the track and was pretty much pulled.
  • PackedMetalPandaPackedMetalPanda    166 posts
    Sweet Maddison very stiff to miss out on a start.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,274 posts
    Race 1- Beltane
    Race 2- Thereugo
    Race 3- Bechers Brook
    Race 4- Saying Grace
    Race 5- Im Soxy
    Race 6- Power And Grace
    Race 7- Vampiro
    Race 8- Black Jack Zac
    Race 9- Shockwave
    Race 10- Talkerup
    A lot been said recently about barrier 1 and favs getting beat. None more than tonight, good chance barrier 1 takes out first eight races.
    That would be one for the record books and probably not a good record to hold.
  • ciscocisco    805 posts
    Hope you are right in race 1 VillageKid.

Cheers cisco

JayJay, curmudgeon likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,888 posts
    cisco said:

Hope you are right in race 1 VillageKid.

Cheers cisco
    Good luck Cisco - you will need it now pal

VK has been known to stop The Indian Pacific and The Ghan

Hope you dont get a flat tyre in running - lol

cisco likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,274 posts
    Best of luck Cisco I hope he goes well for you.

Marko my record is far greater than just those 2 trains, I have also stopped the Australind, Prospector & Avonlink!!! 
    8-}
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Boys if he leads I think we are a real chance.

For some reason I cannot like your post Marko.

Cheers cisco
    Now it worked Marko ;)
    Probably not worth a separate thread but a good program at Bunbury tonight. Anyone keen on the 3's on about Gardy's in the first or the 5's on about Bettor B Ready in the 4th? A bit of value lurking in most races I reckon. Might add that I do walk around on course with a packet of face wipes to remove excess egg from from my face.Good luck Cisco, I have him 4th with cover at the bell and he wins.

cisco likes this post.

Thanks JayJay he is pretty versatile - good luck with your horses.
    And so it came to pass....facewipes required urgently after Gardy raced according to his price but Bettor B Ready was as big an unders job as has ever stepped out. And the value was there. Not Mega but enough moolah for a major mama sized cream matchstick and a hot coffee from the Donnybrook Bakehouse on the way home. For anyone traveling the back blocks late at night, said bakehouse is open all night and serves possibly Australia's best matchsticks and a passionfruit vanilla slice to die for. Very enjoyable night of racing at Donaldson Park.

cisco, jum, VillageKid likes this post.

Donnybrook.;;;; yesterday afternoon one of the familys favourite horses borogar was put to rest he was born 9/10/82.  and we purchased him feb 5 1984. he would have turned 37 this October,he spent his retirement years with Ron Henderson and his late partner Geraldine hallahan,who loved him like a son ,as racehorse he was magnificent black stallion..

When he was purchased we made a promise to the daughter of the seller he would keep his stable name which was JUNG. a horse that provided heaps of feel good stories .Not knowing who carl jung was or what he was about. to learn later

JUNG;;; Said the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. sure is a sad  day..

freodockers, curmudgeon, JayJay likes this post.

Sorry to hear that STG I see he was by Sultros Rainbow who was stood by the Johnsons from memory.

savethegame likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,716 posts

R1: Batavia On Fire should do enough to lead. I’m hoping that
    Beltane doesn’t attack hard early to save it for the run home. Should either be
    1,1 on Robb Stark or maybe 1,2 if Burning Rubber comes around. Going 3 wide
    solo even from the 800m I think he is a terrific chance. The 1 and 2 should run
    top 4, 1 of them should win then take novelties around the likely good trips.
    Have to have a couple of dollars on Whoswhointhezoo at the price but think he
    is a 2100m and shorter horse.

Tip: No2 Beltane. Bet: FF:1,2/1,2/,7,8,10,11,12/7,8,10,11,12. 100% costs $40,
    rotate them through the placings. EQ:1,2.

R2: I’m actually expecting Vincenzo Peruggia to come out humming
    and put a bit of pressure on Therugo. Not saying he will cross but he does get
    out a lot better from out wide, just thinking this race will have more tempo
    than others expect. On that Basis I’m going to have something on the deadest mile
    horse Mattjestic Star. The quicker they go the better for him. Obviously you
    have to like Therugo and if he gets it soft they can’t beat him but I prefer
    him at 2100m where he can sneak a soft quarter.

Tip: No7 Mattjestic Star. Bet: Mattjestic Star EW. FF:1,7,10/1,7,9,10/1,7,9,10/1,4,7,9,10,12.
    100% costs $54. EQ:1,7,10.

R3: I have Infinite Symbol holding up with Our Corelli in
    the breeze giving Bechers Brook the 1,1. He isn’t one of mine but with that run
    I have him on top. None of them are at a price I want to back. Baylan Jet will
    love his run, top 5 for him. The Midas Touch trialled very well and shouldn’t be
    too far away in the moving line then lead up the 3 wide moves, give him place
    claims as well.

Tip: No2 Bechers Brook. FF:1,2,3/1,2,3/1,2,3,10,12/1,2,3,10,11,12. 100% costs $54.
    EQ:1,2,3.

R4: I thought Saying Grace would do enough to lead but there
    are a few interesting runners, particularly Major Rush who would go back 99
    times out of 100 but could cross that 1 time. My mate Better Scoot is back to
    the pegs, track the stable mate through and zap him in the straight.

Tip: No10 Better Scoot. Bet: Wins Better Scoot. FF:1,10/1,10/2,3,11,12/2,3,11,12.
    100% costs $24. Then rotate 1,10 through for a smaller percentage. EQ:1,10,11.
    100% costs $54.

R5: I’m keen to follow up Im Soxy here. Not sure if Golden
    State tries to cross or just takes Ideal Liners back, I suspect the later.
    Herrick Roosevelt goes forward and gives Soxy the 1,1. To me his recent form is
    being massively under rated. I think there is a good bit of entrigue about this
    race.

Tip: No3 Im Soxy. Bet: Im Soxy EW. FF:1,3/1,2,3/1,2,3,4,8/1,2,3,4,8,9. 100%
    costs $36. QD:1,3.

R6: Jaspervellabeach was good enough last week and gets its
    chance to lead throughout but is too short ATM, should be closer to a 6/4
    chance. I’ve had something on Some Copper Beach a place at the mid $3 range.
    Think she can go forward and get the 1,1 on Aristocratic Star who is a horse
    that gets keen and may bring the fav undone. If last starts Major Martini shows
    up it is in it up to its eyeballs, this is another race with plenty of interest.

Tip: No1 Jaspervellabeach. Bet: Some Copper Beach place. FF:1,4,11/1,4,11/1,4,10,11/1,2,4,9,10,11.
    100% costs $36. QD:1,4,11.

R7: Can’t go past Vampiro here but will only be watching
    this one.
    QD:1

R8: I was hoping Carrera Mach might come up a bit of value
    here but he is pretty well found in the early markets. With Im Thor being a
    slow beginner and MY Papa Bear and Roman Aviator likely to have a shot for the
    top I thought he could slot across nicely behind them and have a beautiful
    trail up on the speed. I thought Roman Aviator would cross and Papa would get
    left in the breeze. Doesn’t look like anything would come to give him cover
    other than maybe the 8 or 9. I really think the 4 and 5 are the only winning chances.

Tip: No5 Carrera Mach. Bet: Carrera Mach EW. FF:4,5/1,4,5,10/1,4,5,10/1,2,4,5,8,10,11,12.
    100% costs $60. QD:4,5. 100% costs $24.

R9: In his two starts Papinik hasn’t looked to have gate
    speed so it does look an easy lead for Its Rock And Roll. The value here is
    Shockwave. Gee Jay Kay will get up outside the leader, if they go even slightly
    too quick Shockwave can get them.

Tip: No5 Its Rock And Roll. Bet: Shockwave EW.
    FF:5,9/5,7,9/2,5,7,9/2,4,5,6,7,8,9. 100% costs $32.

R10: This looks a good race for Nowuseemesmile. The 1 and
    the 2 will run along quickly enough, Nowuseemesmile may even end up 1,1 on
    Bettorgrinandbarit. She just can’t do even an ounce of work early and finish
    off and she has had to her last few to keep a position, slotting in straight
    behind them tonight she will be running on.

Tip: No5 Nowuseemesmile. Bet: Back her EW.

Freo; just checked the yearling book 84 the horse was sold on account P.R. Fletcher Dianella. lot.76..they may well have had the mare goodtime call.and just used the sire.? think the daughters name was joy?
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Time waits for neither man nor beast STG. Old Jung provided you with a few thrills over the years.

Sorry to hear that STG I see he was by Sultros Rainbow who was stood by the Johnsons from memory.

I thought George Hinchcliffe stood Sultros up at Bullsbrook when he first came here but could be wrong.

37 is an incredible age for a horse, must have been superbly cared for, brilliant job....much to the chagrin of the loony animal libbers that spruik their hate and derision about owners and trainers not loving their horses. No sector of the lunatic fringe annoy me more than those over zealous parasitic numpties as they clump around farms in their leather blundies spreading misinformation and hate.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,888 posts
    I have done the form for GP - only had the one e/w bet and a decent bet on Tommy Be Good at the $11 - fantastic price

I can remember that horse running a 2nd in a stand start race a while back - came from last - looped the field came home in 56 - ive never forgotten that run - i thought that is a seriously good horse

2 starts back 2nd beaten a half neck ( by Golden State- it led  )  in 1.55.3 - 3 wide without cover  last 600 metres - closing qtr 27.9 - that was a sensational run

The fave hasnt got quick mile rates - beaten Mr Rollins last start - whoopee

Theres horses resuming - bar the 1 and the 2 - the rest will go back at the start - i would love Shannon to put this thing in the breeze . In the breeze i reckon it is unbeatable - its point to point speed will be too quick for them .
    I'm Soxy for me on this one Marko agree 1 horse unproven this class, hope reed drives aggressive leaves soxy sitting over them for last kick, been very unlucky lately and DEG on board tonight.
    Correct JJ George Hinchcliffe Sultros Rainbow, johnsons Taro Hanover.
    A few of them didn't quite see out the 2550m in the first, pretty good steer from the winner. Many chances at the top of the lane. Once Beltane didn't get cover, that was the ball game for him.

Gilgamesh, cisco likes this post.

Race 5 ffa class great race Sky 2 great programming by all concerned.
    Don't tell me bettor reward hitting stirrups, might be getting ahead of myself but we've heard it a few times from that camp.