G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 20 Non Members

All Eyes Turn To WA's Ihtsahymn v Lieder - Darwin Cup Monday

West Australian Racing
Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
edited August 2019 West Australian Racing
It's almost reminescent of the great clash between Naturalism v Veandercross in Sydney Easter 1993! Well not quite but with two horse's in scintillating form Ihtsahymn and Lieder then add the picket fence of 4 yr. old Poets Landing and it's shaping up as an intriguing Darwin Cup.

Barrier Draw - Ihtsahymn - 4.
Lieder - 5.
Poets Landing - 8.
Will be a full sized field of twelve.

The locals have taken to the old 9 year old grey Ithsahymn. He and Lieder look the clear top two picks and Poets Landing the only other horse under 10/1. Would like to see Ihtsahymn and Lieder join in together and may the best horse win.

Phenomenal effort by trainer Rob Gulberti - to have a plan with the nine year old grey - from second last beaten 20 lengths in a Perth Cup to six months later a 66kg first up win in Broome over 1400 to a 60kg win in Darwin over 1600 - both wins could not have been more impressive.

Can he now beat the powerful Lieder and just as impressive five years younger Poets Landing or will it be a total upset result....good luck Ihtashymn and Peter Hall.

+1 -1

Desperado, thefalcon, bigorangecat likes this post.

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Latest odds -
    Lieder $2.30
    Ihtsahymn $4.20
    Poet's Landing $4.60
    $12 and better the rest.
    Poet's Landing very well backed and now a clear cut second favourite at $3.60, Ihtsahymn also firming slightly to $4 and Lieder the fave out a fraction to $2.35.

The big drifter's have been the rest - now $16 and better.
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Im on one at $16 plus
    edited August 2019
    Always enjoy the Cup - very few races run over the 2000 in Darwin - about zero.
    Some hoops take off well before acceptances. Expect the unexpected. There will be some tired runners at the 600, avoiding them priority one.

Look for Peter Hall to be patient and the grey to thread his way through the field and then swing to the outside and set out after Lieder and Poet's Landing..that's one of many scenario's!

What's made the race more interesting is the heavy support for Poet's Landing - just turned 4yrs., against the 7 yr. old Lieber and 9 year old Ihtsahymn.

thefalcon likes this post.

• RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    Too good the old bloke!
  • WhatisthepointWhatisthepoint    181 posts
    Gee you have to say lieder  that's was very very average coming off a win like that and uiplaced gave the 2nd horse a cold last start.I have seen some average efforts in my time that's right up with them.Had 4 or 5 winners today on speed figures.Never had a bet waiting for fav in last and goes like that gee this game can screw you.

Gee you have to say lieder  that's was very very average coming off a win like that and uiplaced gave the 2nd horse a cold last start.I have seen some average efforts in my time that's right up with them.Had 4 or 5 winners today on speed figures.Never had a bet waiting for fav in last and goes like that gee this game can screw you.

You wouldn't have backed it if you heard the trainer. He said that the pattern would make it very hard for him to win.
  • WhatisthepointWhatisthepoint    181 posts
    Maybe so the guy can train no question but having said that getting 3s about a evens shot you have to take risk,On its figures being a dirt track no lanes its lost lengths.
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    paraletic said:

Im on one at $16 plus

I was on Lotion. Good, but just not good enough
    edited August 2019
    Was good too, fought on hard. Who'd credit a 9 year old grey from WA would stand in front of Lotion and victory.

Think heard the commentator say - Ihtsahymn the only Group One winner to have ever raced in Darwin - albeit that Group One win was six years ago. Age shall not weary him.

Only WA trained galloper ever to win a Darwin Cup - others should think about this race. Easier said than done though.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    Gotta find something that can run further than 8 furlongs first.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    9 year- old WA horse Ihtsahymn won the $206,000 Darwin Cup (2000m) today with 60.5kg. Good effort.. The last WA horse to win the Darwin Cup was Mr Tambourineman in 2004. But no doubt Ihtsahymn is the first Group 1 winner to win the Darwin Cup. He won the Group 1 Kingston Town Classic in 2013.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Spare a thought for the horse that ran last in the Cup, Embley. He used to be part owned by none other than Bruce McAvaney and in 2017 ran second to Classic Uniform in the Hill Stakes, a Group 2 race at Randwick. Another interesting runner on Darwin Cup day was Java. He ran 4th to Dissident in the Group 1 Orr Stakes back in 2015. Java however, had a happier result and was victorious over 1600m and collected another $20,100 to add to his tally. It's funny how sometimes horses end up where least expected!
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    I must admit when I saw the grey in broome with 66kg...I thought "the greedy bas*ards"...
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    He an absolute lay down for the Broome Cup now you would think, if he's pulled up fine.
    edited August 2019
    He's not just the only Group One winner to have won the Darwin Cup - he's the only Group One winner to have ever raced in Darwin.

No ever Group One winner has put hoof on track in an event.
    edited August 2019
    No doubt Bomber will be top weight for the Broome Cup, but how much weight ? Carried 66kgs in Broome and the 60 and 60.5 in Darwin saddlecloth number one three times in a row and three wins in a row - keep telling you blokes but you don't believe me - top weighted horses have never got in so well in the history of racing!

Bottom weighted horses have gone up and top weights have come down. 66kgs for a Group One winner in Broome against inferior horses - that was a doddle haha.
    edited August 2019
    Two things in racing never thought would happened if you asked me over 30 odd years ago -
    1. The tremendous increase in female jockey's and overall female participation - wonderful to see. Amazing really.

2. Never thought would see the day when horses that carried around 48kgs and 50kgs sometimes 46kgs would one day be burdened with 55 and 57kgs. Although with hindsight can now understand that hoops were always going to get heavier.

Maybe one more - perhaps the demise of oncourse bookmakers but did have an inkling that may happen one day.
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts

Was good too, fought on hard. Who'd credit a 9 year old grey from WA would stand in front of Lotion and victory.

Think heard the commentator say - Ihtsahymn the only Group One winner to have ever raced in Darwin - albeit that Group One win was six years ago. Age shall not weary him.

Only WA trained galloper ever to win a Darwin Cup - others should think about this race. Easier said than done though.

Is that the definition is it ? (WA Trained).
    I keep reading everywhere that he is the "first WA horse to win the Darwin Cup", which is definitely not correct, no.
  • spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    Last time I looked Broome is definitely in WA
    edited August 2019
    Yes - Only WA trained winner of the Cup.
    Mr Tambourine Man -he was a WA horse but when won the Darwin Cup was not WA trained. At least that's what I'm thinking.

Sorry about other two threads running, noticed now closed off - I get a bit carried away! He's no Northerly but was just the unusual nature of it all.

At the end of the day three great wins in a row.
    edited August 2019
    Also I remember the name Mr Tambourine Man - but gee's, should but can't recall much about him at all.

Others will recall better. Do remember the song though! Bob Dylan if not mistaken. Then The Byrds covered it.
    Mr Tambourineman was a Lindsay Smith horse in WA and did pretty well...went to NT with Stephen Brown and won the Darwin cup, then to John Leek for wins in the Port Adelaide and Ararat Cups.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    edited August 2019
    Owned by Peter Capararo (Canal Ent) amongst others from memory.
    I gather purchased from Peters upon departure from Perth.
  • ElitistElitist    365 posts
    An old fav of mine, a leggy chestnut. Backed it in the Perth Cup with a low weight & it ran just behind the placegetters behind Turmeric?.Got tried over jumps near the end of his career.

Last year the Broome Cup was 72+. If it were the same again this year, I reckon Ihtsahymn would get 70.5kg.
     I think Already Famous (c87) is the highest rater running around up there outside Ihtsahymn. So if they made the Broome Cup 87+ then Ihtsahymn would still get around 63kg.
     That would be silly for that sort of race. Of course they could make sure a few high class horses nominate to compress the weights and then scratch them....oh but that never happens.

H-BOMBER likes this post.

Coolgardie and Boulder Cups max topweight is 62kg. Possibly the same for the Kalgoorlie Cup?
    Sifting through the 'Mr Tambourineman's"...gee, no shortage of them, a couple in Australia, one in Ireland, one in South Africa, very popular name for a horse. Yes, 7th to Tumeric in the Perth Cup after winning the ATA the week before, placed in the Towton and the TJ Smith.

edited August 2019
    Do recall who rode Tumeric in Mr Tambourine's Cup - one of my fave hoops of the time John Claite. They'd nearly retire Ihtsahymn now, one would think...but hard to say.

Can retire with a 100% record on the dirt track 3/3. Can't see him running in a race on grass again. Only second guessing..we shall see.

Wonder why some horses love those dirt tracks and others - no thanks. He lapped it up.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    on the subject of the grey and peter hall.
    can anybody calculate how many cups peter has won? I know black tom for his dad in the perthcup..probably his best one.