In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 25 Non Members

WAFL 2019.

Sport

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited August 2019
    Neesham definetly at Swans in the early 80's. Couldn't stand him hahaha.
    Was priviliged as a kid to see two of the best taggers have seen until this day...to witness Stephen Curtis at East Perth completely blanket an outstanding Phil Krakouer in the 1980 first semi final was amazing...he also took on and sometimes beat a guy who think won at least 7 or 8 Fairest and Bests at Perth - Robert Wiley.

These guys went toe to toe from the first second of the game until the final siren.
    Lindsay Kanther at Claremont another tagger. They never gave an inch. Fascinating stuff in an attacking competition. The only time apart was the quarter breaks.

The other one Bill Skierwoski at Swans - emotionless,he was like the shark in the water waiting to get close and my goodness he wore some of the top players like a blanket.

As good as Ryan Crowley was, Curtis and Skierowoski, the way the game was played back then and Phil Krakouer and Rob Wiley etc were champions, the tagger in the mid 70s and 80s was something to behold.

Run side by side with another player for 120 minutes takes some doing. It's the ultimate one against one.

Skierwoski was more of a professional tagger whereas EP gave Curtis the role when required, and when you had blokes like the Krakouers and Wiley - he was there.

VillageKid, spinking likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    spinking said:

I may be mistaken but didn't G.Neesham also line up in the black and white around the same time as Barry Kimberley etc

Both boys played in the 1983 & 1984 SD flag sides Spink (Neesham was at Sydney in 1982 & Kimberley at Perth that year).

spinking likes this post.

edited August 2019
    The other thing though - don't for a moment think that the tagger always won - saw on occasions the player being tagged break the shackles and win not just the battle but the war.

The top line players were bloody hard to stop and it wasn't always one way traffic. A bloke like Steve Malaxos ( forward line at Claremont ) could give it back to Skierowski too. Wiley against Curtis too. It wasn't always one way traffic.

The teammates of the player being tagged definetly added help and protection too, to help get the tagger out of the picture.

Skwirowski always had the job of tagging one of the Krakouer brothers when we played Claremont Riders.
    Steve Curtis was tough as old boot leather for your Royals and very durable, I remember when he played his 200th game and reading he was only 26 at the time, that is a lot of football in a short period of time.
    He later went over to play for Port Adelaide in the SANFL and played many games for them as well as for SA in State games.

Ridersonthestorm33, spinking likes this post.

edited August 2019
    That's true VK and and sure you'd agree as I said above - not all the time did the taggers win the clash.

Didn't mind the taggers at all- was just another dimension to a game, and it never paid off 100% of the time. The top echelon players could get it around it but if they let the tagger get the better of them mentally and physically it could be curtains.

It was still one against one and 18 v 18.

In recent years Steven Baker at St Kilda another uncompromising tagger.

• oldhendooldhendo    763 posts
    Another tough nut at SD i liked to watch was Brad Shine, went to Carlton later i think.
    oldhendo said:

Another tough nut at SD i liked to watch was Brad Shine, went to Carlton later i think.

Pound for pound Bulldog Shine was as tough a footballer I have ever seen Oldhendo, his attack on the football at times was fierce/reckless/uncompromising I still remember some of his 1984 GF heroics with delight.

Ridersonthestorm33, oldhendo, spinking likes this post.

edited August 2019
    He was a tough nut alright....went to the 84 GF...think Swans led East Freo about 8 goals to 1 at quarter time ? Then the Sharks fought back really well in the second quarter, before Swans settled again.

Was a pretty good GF and the first quarter cost the Sharks badly, that's my memory of it.

1984 WAFL GF

Qtr Time Score- 
    SD- 10.7 (67)
    EF- 0.3 (3)

Half Time Score-
    SD- 11.8 (74)
    EF- 9.8 (62)

Full Time Score-
    SD- 20.18 (138)
    EF- 15.12 (102)

I was also there Riders and that start by SD was as exhilarating 1st qtr of football in a huge game as I have ever seen.
    EF did fight back valiantly with the breeze in the 2nd qtr but used up all their petrol tickets in doing so and didnt have much left in the tank by the last qtr as it was quite a warm day and the breeze was definitely not a 9 or 10 goal wind more like 4 or 5 goal at best.

Ridersonthestorm33, spinking likes this post.

edited August 2019
    Also that first quarter do recall thinking - that's as good as you'd see.

Haha and just read 10 to zip...yes it was an avalanche alright. A fast pace and just goal after goal, but when the Sharks came back in the second quarter that was a huge effort too - so much so that as a nuetral at the game - actually gave them a chance of winning, which after the first quarter was mission impossible.

No surprise to see the Sharks win it in 85 when they Swans and a rejuvenated Subiaco were the best three teams in the competition by a street.

edited August 2019
    When you think about it - close to 45000 - 50,000 at the game...10.7 to 0.3 at quarter time..possibly at the time WA's biggest day in sport...it's a fascinating score line.

Yep just remember goal after goal after goal by Swans..thought might have been 8 - 1 but 10 - 0 doesn't totally surprise, it was dominant alright.

The WAFL was massive in WA before the Eagles came on the scene in 1987 Riders and then the sporting landscape changed forever here unfortunately.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    V.K. remember  leon baker playing for south bunbury looked like a leftover from Woodstock, beard, long hair,made jimmy jess.look tidy..
    Was a superstar, thing his first game was in the seconds in the southwest? there was few I can remember, who showed any amount of ability---that era, the thorn brothers, wayne cole, alf sheraski for bunbury,and the best ability wise a fella called basil little, my opinion , did he play for swans at any stage V.K.
    Haha yeah Leon was a bit of a hippy STG but boy he could play footy.
    I cant remember Basil Little playing at Swans mate but I do recall Brett Little playing at SF mid 80s what era was Basil around a bit before then?
    Of the other fellas you have listed from Bunbury-
    Tom & Kernutt Thorn played for SD
    Wayne Coles played at SF
    Alf Shiosaki played at EF.
    My recollections of Basil Little do know he played for Harvey-Brunswick late seventies, there was talk of him going to carlton,? he could do anything, screamers, nothing for him to kick 12 then go missing for weeks, .

Happened to be at a eastern districts v eastern goldfields match maybe ten or more years later, and he played, for e.d. he had to have been  in his forties, jumper didn't go over his bellybutton, kicked six goals first-half,couldn't pick his feet-up after half-time.. Lot oldtimers spoke highly of his ability always wondered did he have crack at the wafl.
    edited August 2019
    Am sure their was a jockey here, good name for a hoop of the time - Tom Little.

East Perth had some good footballers from the South West too.
    82,83,84 - three in flags in a row to Swans and I've reminded VK often EP did knock off the Black Ducks opening round of 84 in Bunbury at Hands Oval, it was telecast live by channel 7 back to Perth. That is about the only time recall the Royals beating Swans in that period - perhaps one or two other times at the most but that's all.

An early country WAFL game no doubt to do with their prominent zones. Think it was a name like Carey Park who produced some good ones.

That was the very first WAFL game played in the country Riders yes as you remind me often you did give us a touch up at Hands Oval that day in 1984. Good days they were, I can even remember travelling down to Collie to watch SD play in pre season games back in the early 80s against VFL sides North Melbourne & Footscray.

spinking, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Tom little certainly was a jockey Riders. Either you or VK will get this one . Who is the only jockey to have won a city race and play wafl . Positive still only need blokes done it
    kevin mitchell
    STG beat me to it Kevin Mitchell the younger brother of Michael and a good footballer in his own right.

Not in your class when it comes to wafl  V.K.  You were a certainty beat, it was going to be my question.Spinking throw the question  under my nose, another way a odds-on favourite can get beat.

V.K. Keep you sharp or anyone else who.wants to take the fav V.K. on...... Tasmania state team played  W.A State team in Kalgoorlie  Late nineties who was the W.A. ruckman . born in KALGOORLIE.

Dean Irving immediately comes to mind STG?
    Was that the game Rod Tregenza kicked 10 goals for WA? I believe he was still kicking plenty up until recently down at South Mandurah.
    V.K. Dean Irving  divi.1.01 ;;;;;  no idea,  regards goalkickers but W.A. won by  58 points...

edited August 2019
    Thought knew the WAFL fairly well, however I'm lengths behind VK, he's in another league! And your right VK it was a warm sunny spring day the 84 GF.

The following year it was the great white shark himself who remarkably as their playing coach took East Fremantle to victory after beginning his career at East Perth in about 1972 - Ron Alexander.

Then some time after - he did some WAFL umpiring when the umps went on strike! Think that's what it was. He was booed and jeered like the rest of them.

Was just saying the other day - gosh EP got some free kicks in front of the members stand - but we paid the price at other grounds!

In fairness those WAFL umpires back then were very good - Ross Capes, Ron Powell and think their was Ray or Ron Phillips and Mike Ball too. Just a few names forgotten for the moment.

I recall Ball giving EP another free kick in the square after already scoring a goal, to give them two in a row - in a tight game, big crowd at Fremantle Oval that took some nerve! He was relentlessly booed by the South members.

savethegame, spinking, VillageKid likes this post.

edited August 2019
    The final GF played in 86 before the Eagles took centre stage - East Freo the hottest of hot fave's after walloping Subi in the second semi final were themselves decimated by the Lions in the GF.

Was a remarkable turnaround by Subiaco and the Sharks were terrible GF day, and Subi got their revenge for the unlucky and narrow 85 defeat.

savethegame, spinking, VillageKid likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Not to much gets through to the keeper with you blokes great knowledge

The final GF played in 86 before the Eagles took centre stage - East Freo the hottest of hot fave's after walloping Subi in the second semi final were themselves decimated by the Lions in the GF.

Was a remarkable turnaround by Subiaco and the Sharks were terrible GF day, and Subi got their revenge for the unlucky and narrow 85 defeat.

I went to that 2nd Semi Final as a neutral Riders Darren Bennett kicked 10 goals that day he was kicking them from way outside 50m too, $ubi obviously did their homework though for the return bout a fortnight later with Mark Zanotti taking many a bounce on his long dashes out of defence.

Ridersonthestorm33, savethegame likes this post.

edited August 2019
    Just 13 at the time but do remember quite well Polly Farmer coaching East Perth in 1976 to the Grand Final against Perth - EP overcame a tough South Fremantle in the Second Semi final to advance straight to the GF with Perth under Ken Armstrong advancing through from the First Semi final and also defeating South in the Prelim.

In today's footy EP would've started slight favourite's but to Perths credit they began well and apart from a slight resurgence in the third quarter by EP the Demons were in control most of the game, on a blustery wettish day.

Then Farmer would've had EP in 77 when lost the first semi final to West Perth with Perth winning the flag again.

Then he was replaced in 1978 by the little general playing coach Barry Cable who took EP to an amazing upset win over a dominant Perth team who looked for most of the season a huge chance to win three flags in a row.

For a fair bit of that season EP were looking very doubtful to even make the four - a combination of good fortune and winning close games - before some massive crowds saw them make it - with think only % seperating 2nd through to 5th!

It's a fine line and Farmer a bit unlucky not to get one at the Royals.

edited August 2019
    Back to the umps - can recall of recall of course Ron Buckey - Mal Brown when playing coach of Claremont then coach at South Fremantle use to love having his dig by calling Ron Powell and Ron Buckey - The Two Ronnies - named after the famous comedy TV show.

Coaches comments after the game..done by all coaches for the press..
    Mal Brown... and with words to the effect of ( and sarcastically of course) "another great performance by the two Ronnies". Haha the bloke was a stirrer back then and still is.
    Think Farmer might have had EP in 75 too - also losing the first semi that year - and the same as 77 to West Perth both times.

So at EP his record was - 1975 - 4th. 1976 - runners up. 1977 - 4th.