G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 23 Non Members

Ashes 2019

Sport

Comments

• goosegoose    1,628 posts
    You would think so probably for Pattinson the english will be praying it is not Starc he would be scarey to bat against I am tipping,
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Patto you reckon ?
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    I wouldnt discount the Poms just yet fellas let us not forget they did have us 8/122 in the first dig at Edgbaston before Smith saved our bacon (twice) and they were a bowler down (Anderson).
    Smith's heroics with the bat has wallpapered over our own cracks with our batting line up.

oldhendo, TheDiva, JayJay, cisco likes this post.

• TheSwooperTheSwooper    1,717 posts
    I'm with Village. Batting is brittle and I thought we bowled a beautiful line throughout the test. That is not always going to happen. Loss of Anderson hurt and Archer will have them all ducking and weaving and seriously testing their techniques.

Patterson would be stiff. Siddle was accurate and troubled them, especially in the 2nd innings. If the pitch is green, no way you'd contemplate dropping Lyon (as he is the goat) and too risky to drop  drop Wade (Paine) and replace with another seamer. Pretty confident selectors will stick with a winning team but am more often wrong.

VillageKid likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    doesnt look like we'll be getting too much cricket on the opening day...

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Before the start of play in a three horse race, the draw plunged into $1.80 with England $4.25 and Australia $3.75.
  • spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Last I ever I looked S Smith was $2.50 to make the most Aussie runs . Seemed like a good price to me. Rain delaying the start
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    More wicketless ho hum line and length from Siddle or some unplayable Jaffas from Starc? Astonishing.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    He bowled ok. His first two over were sloppy but the rest were good. Should have had two wickets as they dropped burns twice off his bowling. The one by Paine was a howler... who was saying he didn’t drop those?
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    Me X_X
    Khawaja's was as easy as you get................
    But in saying that - would have been interesting to have seen Starc flinging them down.
    When we say that though we're thinking Starc at his best, which apparently he's currently a long way from.
    Akin to saying would love to see Thommo and Alderman working an end each.
    Great by name, but not reality..............
  • TheSwooperTheSwooper    1,717 posts
    Don't think bowling will be the issue. Flaky batting in the top order.

TheDiva, VillageKid likes this post.

Bancroft never looked comfortable
    Took the shine off 11 overs of balls
    The bat has to make contact with the ball to relieve it of shine . How many did he leave out of the 66 he faced
    Also scored more runs per ball than Warner.
    Neither going well, but why is Warner escaping scrutiny ?
    Has been the first one out, every innings.
    Hasn’t been close even.
  • NevershowsurpriseNevershowsurprise    995 posts
    edited August 2019
    Tivers said:

Also scored more runs per ball than Warner.
    Neither going well, but why is Warner escaping scrutiny ?
    Has been the first one out, every innings.
    Hasn’t been close even.

The fact that one has a test average of almost 50 with 21 hundreds and the other averages 27 with zero hundreds might have something to do with it.

spinking, oldhendo, VillageKid likes this post.

They don’t write your average in on the score sheet
    You asked why Warner is escaping scrutiny over Bancroft, one has the score on the board over a long period of time and the other hasn’t.

Warners not escaping scrutiny at all . These first two tests he has been deplorable. My post above I said Bancroft didn't look comfortable at all , I don't think there is anyway that you could not agree with that. As NSS pointed out above Warner has a more than acceptable test average, even though that should not save you if you hit a form slump.

Quite disturbing to see the West Indian fast bowler laughing at a player flat out on the pitch after being struck in the head. Someone must have told him a particularly funny joke.
    Equally disturbing that the stricken player was allowed to return at the next fall of wicket. Has cricket learned nothing from past incidents?
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    @JayJay Smith wasn't keen on playing many shots. He has himself to blame for getting hit. All I saw was a fast bowler doing what he had to which was well within the rules. I hope you appreciate the irony of Smith, a captain who conspired to get an unfair advantage, playing the victim? Was it his teary press conference that convinced you he needs to be a cotton wool cricketer? 
    No, your barking up the wrong tree concerning my thoughts on both Smith and the fast bowler. Smith's teary press conference, along with Warners, belonged on the Barbara Cartland Agony Aunt show and I have no complaint with the Archer's  tactics whatsoever. I do have concerns with players country hopping .....Kepler Wessels playing for South Africa, then Australia, and then South Africa again was nonsense and so is this.  And I also have concerns with players laughing after someone, anyone, gets hit in the head. And finally, despite any personal misgivings I have about Smith, I hardly think he has become a "cotton wool cricketer".
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    edited August 2019
    @JayJay What does Archer's heritage have to do with his actions? Do you expect him to cradle Smith's head in the same manner that Sean Abbott did when Phil Hughes died? I'm almost certain Abbott would've been better off staying up the other end
    Nothing, no, don't be absurd, just don't laugh and maybe, maybe not.
    edited August 2019
    How did Smith play the victim?
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Warner needs to fire here for the Aussies to win. Go for the win I say
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    edited August 2019
    H-BOMBER said:

Warner needs to fire here for the Aussies to win. Go for the win I say

agree, throw the bat around and score runs. Dont just try and hang in there. Doesnt work for him.

H-BOMBER, spinking likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    nothing screams “frontrunner” more than a pom crowd that can sniff a test victory.

H-BOMBER likes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Gee Bancroft in all sorts