Who's Online

0 Members & 16 Non Members

Ashes 2019

Sport

Comments

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Khawaja needs to be dumped quick smart. Absolutely useless
  • spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Smith didn't play the victim. He was the victim of a 150 kph thunderbolt to the neck. Lucky only to have a headache could have been much worse
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    spinking said:

Smith didn't play the victim. He was the victim of a 150 kph thunderbolt to the neck. Lucky only to have a headache could have been much worse

Has he come out and said it's part of the game or does he just leave that to tv analysts like former captain Mark Taylor? He's basking in the same sympathy he got addicted to during his ban. L-)
    He is one of the best batsman in the world he would know that is part of the game. I cant see anywhere in the media where  he is saying that he is a victim. As JJ said above poor form Archer standing up the other end laughing
    edited August 2019
    spinking said:

He is one of the best batsman in the world he would know that is part of the game. I cant see anywhere in the media where  he is saying that he is a victim. As JJ said above poor form Archer standing up the other end laughing

I've yet to see him laughing. Show me the media where he is laughing directly after Smith getting snuffed? All I've seen is pictures of him repairing the crease at the bowlers' end appearing to be indifferent. He's a fast bowler, I expect nothing else regardless of great Smith is-and he is certainly that. But he is letting a fellow player get thrown under the bus here.
    they found something very humerous. Who is he letting get thrown under a bus have not seen him say a word about it

JayJay, Nevershowsurprise, oldhendo likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    You obviously were not watching the cricket at all Kramer!

JayJay, spinking, Tivers likes this post.

edited August 2019

You obviously were not watching the cricket at all Kramer!

I gave up on cricket when the gambling bug bit me. But the news that the bowlers are fighting back against the scourge of T20 cricket has me reconsidering my apathy towards the game. Not a fan of the names/numbers on the shirts though
    spinking said:

they found something very humerous. Who is he letting get thrown under a bus have not seen him say a word about it

His silence is deafening which is kind of the point. Smith could stop the narrative by saying he has no issue with it. He's happy to be painted as an endangered species
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Don't think anyone has an issue with the bowling, or the hit (as dangerous as that is).
    Merely the attitude afterwards.
    And the reason social media blew up was because the cameras were on the West indian quick directly after the hit, showing him clearly laughing and walking away.

Congratulations also to the new zealander of the year for a fine century last night.
    I am 100% positive if he was asked that's exactly what he would say
    Steve Smith and Jofra Archer are team mates in the IPL. Don't think he would hold any malice towards him at all .
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,236 posts
    They were going on last night about how the sub jumped straight up after being hit on the helmet compared to Smith laying on the ground.

Absolute chalk and cheese, Smith was hit directly in the neck and is goddam lucky he wasn't killed where's the other was hit fair in the grill.

It's all fair play but jeez they need protection in the neck area otherwise it is asking for trouble. And before all the traditionalists throw the arms up, pitch curation, ball tech and bowling has all advanced since the olden days and a rock going that fast with that precision and uncertainty is a disaster waiting to happen (again)

oldhendo likes this post.

Bomber they do have a neck protector that attaches to the helmet, but they are not compulsory. After the P.Hughes tragedy you would think most batsmen facing pace bowling would wear them. They must be annoying  to the wearer or you would think they would be used more. There might be one attached to Mr Smiths helmet next time out annoying or not
    Thanks @spinking i didn't realise there was one available. 

Interesting to see if someone gets significantly damaged whether they are covered (insurance etc) if they CHOOSE not to wear said  protection. Legal minefield I would have thought.

For example. 
    I work in a lab. I use dangerous chemicals. I for some reason choose not to wear eye protection. Eye protection IS available. Chemical burn to eye. Lose eyesight. Insurance or work cover say I was negligent. Same thing to me
    edited August 2019
    H-BOMBER said:

They were going on last night about how the sub jumped straight up after being hit on the helmet compared to Smith laying on the ground.

Absolute chalk and cheese, Smith was hit directly in the neck and is goddam lucky he wasn't killed where's the other was hit fair in the grill.

It's all fair play but jeez they need protection in the neck area otherwise it is asking for trouble. And before all the traditionalists throw the arms up, pitch curation, ball tech and bowling has all advanced since the olden days and a rock going that fast with that precision and uncertainty is a disaster waiting to happen (again)

You don't think some of his shots where he left the ball were a little bit over the top? You could call them flamboyant if you wanted to be really mean. He's a drama queen hence why he was laying on the ground like a stiff at the morgue 8-|
    Yep, same as why he sat out last night and likely the next match - just attention seeking.........

8-|

jum, VillageKid likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts

spinking said:

Has he come out and said it's part of the game or does he just leave that to tv analysts like former captain Mark Taylor? He's basking in the same sympathy he got addicted to during his ban. L-)
    thats surely a joke.... hes probably not been able to string two words together since having his head knocked off... has he done an interview? 

VillageKid, JayJay likes this post.

H-BOMBER said:

You don't think some of his shots where he left the ball were a little bit over the top? You could call them flamboyant if you wanted to be really mean. He's a drama queen hence why he was laying on the ground like a stiff at the morgue 8-|

I did just see a compilation of the leaves with a superimposed Darth Vader head and light sabre. Did seem a little over the top, or flamboyant as you say.

But this has nothing to do with lying on the ground or being a drama queen.

I reckon if you got someone to wind up and clock you in the neck with one of those balls on a stick they use to knock in bats then you might get an idea as to the amount of force and pain it would have caused!
    With the status of he best batsman in the world, I don't think any of us should be telling him which balls he should and sghouldn't be leaving.

H-BOMBER, spinking likes this post.

H-BOMBER said:

H-BOMBER said:

I did just see a compilation of the leaves with a superimposed Darth Vader head and light sabre. Did seem a little over the top, or flamboyant as you say.

But this has nothing to do with lying on the ground or being a drama queen.

I reckon if you got someone to wind up and clock you in the neck with one of those balls on a stick they use to knock in bats then you might get an idea as to the amount of force and pain it would have caused!
    So he's the only batsman ever to be hit by a short ball? 
    Tivers said:

With the status of he best batsman in the world, I don't think any of us should be telling him which balls he should and sghouldn't be leaving.

It's not the point. He was being passive. The bowler's job is to make him play shots-short pitched bowling is a good tactic. Smith oversaw the sandpaper incident-which is one way to tilt the odds in your favour. The irony is richer than Jeff Bezos
    edited August 2019
    TheDiva said:

spinking said:

thats surely a joke.... hes probably not been able to string two words together since having his head knocked off... has he done an interview? 
    He was hit in the neck, not the head. And he's just shown the world he's vulnerable. I'd stop short of calling him soft, but you get the idea. More short stuff on the way methinks. No wonder they're comparing him to Bradman. :-@
  • JayJayJayJay    7,630 posts
    Trolling for bites. over and out.

spinking, jum, TheDiva, oldhendo likes this post.

Again, none of us are concerned re him bowling the ball.
    No issue with it.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    edited August 2019

TheDiva said:

spinking said:

He was hit in the neck, not the head. And he's just shown the world he's vulnerable. I'd stop short of calling him soft, but you get the idea. More short stuff on the way methinks. No wonder they're comparing him to Bradman. :-@
    You do realise he was hit in the same area of the neck as the late Phil Hughes was?
    Nothing more needs to be said!

JayJay, oldhendo likes this post.

JJ you have absolutely smashed the nail on the head
    edited August 2019
    JayJay said:

Trolling for bites. over and out.

Dog whistling about Archer's heritage. You think I missed that? Don't take the moral high ground if you're going to stoop to those lows. And as for me being a being a contrarian, that does not make one a troll. This is a forum, you're gonna get a variety of views whether you agree with them or not.