Who's Online

0 Members & 35 Non Members

Ashes 2019

Sport

Comments

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts

TheDiva said:

spinking said:

Smith didn't play the victim. He was the victim of a 150 kph thunderbolt to the neck. Lucky only to have a headache could have been much worse

Has he come out and said it's part of the game or does he just leave that to tv analysts like former captain Mark Taylor? He's basking in the same sympathy he got addicted to during his ban. L-)
    thats surely a joke.... hes probably not been able to string two words together since having his head knocked off... has he done an interview? 
    He was hit in the neck, not the head. And he's just shown the world he's vulnerable. I'd stop short of calling him soft, but you get the idea. More short stuff on the way methinks. No wonder they're comparing him to Bradman. :-@
    You do realise he was hit in the same area of the neck as the late Phil Hughes was?
    Nothing more needs to be said!
    What has that got to do with the severity of concussion-which has been described as mild? And for what it's worth Smith has said more than a 'couple of words'

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    smith not playing 3rd test... I'd say more than a mild concussion... 
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    "soft"  ;)
    might be playing the victim....
    H-BOMBER said:

"soft"  ;)

Exactly.
  • saxonsaxoffsaxonsaxoff    179 posts
    Headingley is generally one of the more batsmen friendly pitches and Australia with a good recent record there, be interesting to see if they try and juice it up a bit to help jofra out. 
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Without Smith we are NO chance of winning this Test.
    edited August 2019

We're less of a chance now regardless. They've exposed his weakness and he'll now be bounced more than an alcoholic who doesn't know when he's had enough :-@
  • spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    The way your carrying on Kramer you would think the bloke has never faced speed and bounce before. Just because he has copped one in the melon doesn't mean it's a deficiency in his game
  • NevershowsurpriseNevershowsurprise    995 posts

We're less of a chance now regardless. They've exposed his weakness and he'll now be bounced more than an alcoholic who doesn't know when he's had enough :-@
    What weakness?

spinking said:

The way your carrying on Kramer you would think the bloke has never faced speed and bounce before. Just because he has copped one in the melon doesn't mean it's a deficiency in his game

Got hit on the forearm too, didn't he? Had to be cleared of a break. As I said, soft.
  • spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    I should have paid attention to what you said JJ.

JayJay, oldhendo, jum likes this post.

edited August 2019

spinking said:

Got hit on the forearm too, didn't he? Had to be cleared of a break. As I said, soft.
    Faced almost 12,000 balls in test cricket alone. First time I’ve seen him hit in the head/neck.

No weakness there.

jpg
    jpg
    troll-ny-form-018-415-600x840.jpg

jum likes this post.

spinking said:

Faced almost 12,000 balls in test cricket alone. First time I’ve seen him hit in the head/neck.

No weakness there.

How many more runs did he score after he was hit? He's missing a game, Archer isn't. It will be a tactic going forward.
    @TheDiva Feel free to ban me if you think I'm trolling. 
  • saxonsaxoffsaxonsaxoff    179 posts
    Archer has played 1 test on the most bowler friendly wicket of all time and taken 5 wickets. The ball isn't going to deck sideways in the next test. He will run out of steam on a flat headingly pitch pretty quickly. If warner gets through the 1st 10 overs (big if at the moment), he will hit a ton.

oldhendo, spinking likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    edited August 2019
    I would think getting knocked in to next week would be an exposed weakness for any batsman.
    Fatal even for one recent one, at least (has been lower grade deaths as well).
    It seems Steve Smith and Jaoa Moreira have at least one thing in common looking at this thread.

oldhendo, spinking, jum likes this post.

Tivers said:

I would think getting knocked in to next week would be an exposed weakness for any batsman.

Anything that slows down his scoring rate and/or lowers his average is a weakness to exploit. He is happy to leave countless deliveries so they attack him by bowling AT him. Every side in world  cricket will follow the poms' blueprint or they will perish.
    Gee I hope Steve Smith doesn't decide to become a jockey in Hong Kong
    H-BOMBER said:

It seems Steve Smith and Jaoa Moreira have at least one thing in common looking at this thread.

It was Joao's DREAM to ride in Japan. Did he wake up?  ;)) :)] I-)

Tivers said:

Anything that slows down his scoring rate and/or lowers his average is a weakness to exploit. He is happy to leave countless deliveries so they attack him by bowling AT him. Every side in world  cricket will follow the poms' blueprint or they will perish.
    Bowling at him is exactly what Steve Smith thrives on, he walks across into the line of the ball almost every delivery anyway. Fast bowlers have being trying to bowl short trash at him for years, not sure why you think this will be a revolutionary tactic. Maybe you should watch more cricket to get a better understanding of how he actually plays.

spinking likes this post.

H-BOMBER said:

Ill give you one thing @therealkramer, your relentless commentary on these guys takes some doing and you could almost admire such passion in a twisted sick sense  :))

therealkramer likes this post.

H-BOMBER said:

H-BOMBER said:

Ill give you one thing @therealkramer, your relentless commentary on these guys takes some doing and you could almost admire such passion in a twisted sick sense  :))
    I do try.  O:-)

Tivers said:

Bowling at him is exactly what Steve Smith thrives on, he walks across into the line of the ball almost every delivery anyway. Fast bowlers have being trying to bowl short trash at him for years, not sure why you think this will be a revolutionary tactic. Maybe you should watch more cricket to get a better understanding of how he actually plays.

I'm not sure how his technique is related to his aggression? Some players don't move at all, some are like Cliff Young. Whatever got them to that level obviously works. However, Smith got hit, not one, but twice. He retired hurt and didn't last long after he came back. He will now miss a test. If you're an opposition bowler, you want to see this: cracks in a batsman's psyche are almost as good as cracks on a pitch
    edited August 2019

Tivers said:

I'm not sure how his technique is related to his aggression? Some players don't move at all, some are like Cliff Young. Whatever got them to that level obviously works. However, Smith got hit, not one, but twice. He retired hurt and didn't last long after he came back. He will now miss a test. If you're an opposition bowler, you want to see this: cracks in a batsman's psyche are almost as good as cracks on a pitch
    What’s aggression got to do with anything? Your line of argument is he is soft and weak.

Weak batsmen that are worried about being hit don’t move into the line of the ball. Simple.

I get you’re trying to move the goal posts but no need, Smith got hit, soft he ain’t.

Steve Waugh one of our most courageous batsmen of all time by perception got hit about 10 times in an innings in the West Indies by Ambrose and Walsh.

@TheDiva Feel free to ban me if you think I'm trolling. 

i dont really care myself... most are onto it...  ;)

spinking said:

No weakness there.

How many more runs did he score after he was hit? He's missing a game, Archer isn't. It will be a tactic going forward.
    actually, his scoring rate after he came back was 12 runs off 8 balls, so the hit didnt lower his scoring rate at all... 
    edited August 2019

Tivers said:

What’s aggression got to do with anything? Your line of argument is he is soft and weak.

Weak batsmen that are worried about being hit don’t move into the line of the ball. Simple.

I get you’re trying to move the goal posts but no need, Smith got hit, soft he ain’t.

Steve Waugh one of our most courageous batsmen of all time by perception got hit about 10 times in an innings in the West Indies by Ambrose and Walsh.

I'm glad you brought up Steve Waugh. No way he carries on like Smith. Moving into the line of a ball that is not going to hit you is not the same as avoiding a short pitched delivery. I'm not questioning Smith's greatness but if you don't think sides will hammer him with short balls now, you're kidding yourself.