In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 5 Non Members

Ashes 2019

Sport

Comments

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    TheDiva said:

@TheDiva Feel free to ban me if you think I'm trolling. 

i dont really care myself... most are onto it...  ;)
    Onto what? You're a bookie, you lay favourites. Trolling is second nature, as is hating. Ever heard the joy in Glen Munsie's voice when an odds on pop gets rolled? 
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    "Trolling is second nature, as is hating"

clearly...  
    edited August 2019
    TheDiva said:

"Trolling is second nature, as is hating"

clearly...  
    My point is that you, and many others, immediately cry 'troll' at the hint of a dissenting viewpoint. You can be a contrarian without being a troll and to accuse someone of being such is just a cop out. What next? Gonna call me a Keyboard warrior? I'm sure it's in the playbook somewhere =; 8-|
    nope, its just the fact you keep driving home the same point... seems to me you're looking for a reaction from whomever you can.
    I think you just need to say it once... we get it... you reckon steve smith is soft. 
    good on ya. 

jum likes this post.

• NevershowsurpriseNevershowsurprise    995 posts
    edited August 2019

Tivers said:

I would think getting knocked in to next week would be an exposed weakness for any batsman.
    Fatal even for one recent one, at least (has been lower grade deaths as well).

Anything that slows down his scoring rate and/or lowers his average is a weakness to exploit. He is happy to leave countless deliveries so they attack him by bowling AT him. Every side in world  cricket will follow the poms' blueprint or they will perish.
    Bowling at him is exactly what Steve Smith thrives on, he walks across into the line of the ball almost every delivery anyway. Fast bowlers have being trying to bowl short trash at him for years, not sure why you think this will be a revolutionary tactic. Maybe you should watch more cricket to get a better understanding of how he actually plays.

I'm not sure how his technique is related to his aggression? Some players don't move at all, some are like Cliff Young. Whatever got them to that level obviously works. However, Smith got hit, not one, but twice. He retired hurt and didn't last long after he came back. He will now miss a test. If you're an opposition bowler, you want to see this: cracks in a batsman's psyche are almost as good as cracks on a pitch
    What’s aggression got to do with anything? Your line of argument is he is soft and weak.

Weak batsmen that are worried about being hit don’t move into the line of the ball. Simple.

I get you’re trying to move the goal posts but no need, Smith got hit, soft he ain’t.

Steve Waugh one of our most courageous batsmen of all time by perception got hit about 10 times in an innings in the West Indies by Ambrose and Walsh.

I'm glad you brought up Steve Waugh. No way he carries on like Smith. Moving into the line of a ball that is not going to hit you is not the same as avoiding a short pitched delivery. I'm not questioning Smith's greatness but if you don't think sides will hammer him with short balls now, you're kidding yourself.
    Oh no, your argument is he is weak and soft. Sides have been hammering him with short stuff for years because they cant get him out. Hasn’t worked.

As an up an coming test player he was one of the best hookers and pullers of a ball since Ponting. They temper those shots as coaches once you hit the big league.

You clearly made a statement that was wrong about him being soft cricketer, I get it.

Own it, we move on.

edited August 2019

Tivers said:

I would think getting knocked in to next week would be an exposed weakness for any batsman.
    Fatal even for one recent one, at least (has been lower grade deaths as well).

Anything that slows down his scoring rate and/or lowers his average is a weakness to exploit. He is happy to leave countless deliveries so they attack him by bowling AT him. Every side in world  cricket will follow the poms' blueprint or they will perish.
    Bowling at him is exactly what Steve Smith thrives on, he walks across into the line of the ball almost every delivery anyway. Fast bowlers have being trying to bowl short trash at him for years, not sure why you think this will be a revolutionary tactic. Maybe you should watch more cricket to get a better understanding of how he actually plays.

I'm not sure how his technique is related to his aggression? Some players don't move at all, some are like Cliff Young. Whatever got them to that level obviously works. However, Smith got hit, not one, but twice. He retired hurt and didn't last long after he came back. He will now miss a test. If you're an opposition bowler, you want to see this: cracks in a batsman's psyche are almost as good as cracks on a pitch
    What’s aggression got to do with anything? Your line of argument is he is soft and weak.

Weak batsmen that are worried about being hit don’t move into the line of the ball. Simple.

I get you’re trying to move the goal posts but no need, Smith got hit, soft he ain’t.

Steve Waugh one of our most courageous batsmen of all time by perception got hit about 10 times in an innings in the West Indies by Ambrose and Walsh.

I'm glad you brought up Steve Waugh. No way he carries on like Smith. Moving into the line of a ball that is not going to hit you is not the same as avoiding a short pitched delivery. I'm not questioning Smith's greatness but if you don't think sides will hammer him with short balls now, you're kidding yourself.

You clearly made a statement that was wrong about him being soft cricketer, I get it.

Own it, we move on.

Time will be the judge of that. He was a cheat code before he was banned and in the test and a half since he's been back. He has a questionable temperament-we first saw it when as captain he failed to stop the cheating. We saw it again with the sulking at the press conference. Again, he got hit and carried on like a sook. Bowlers will try to hit him and rightly so. I await his response. I was right about Joao, you have to accept that but I don't care if you don't. History says differently...sorry about that
    edited August 2019
    TheDiva said:

nope, its just the fact you keep driving home the same point... seems to me you're looking for a reaction from whomever you can.

I think you just need to say it once... we get it... you reckon steve smith is soft. 
    good on ya. 

It's called debate. The next time you wring your hands about the lack of traffic to this site, remember this thread. The usual suspects will line up to like any posts which align with their own opinion and dislike those that they agree with but it's often a case of playing the man/woman than the ball. When the moderator starts throwing out labels like troll, well you're encouraging that and discouraging anyone new wanting to contribute. For me, if i agree with something, I don't see the point of posting those thoughts. I'm more likely to post if I disagree. That doesn't make me a troll. I've given my opinion, i've given my reasons. Everyone disagrees and yet it's them that are up in their feelings? Strange.
    Ah there you go again, changing things up because you know you’re wrong, it’s ok. Now it’s about him crying in a press conference and being a “cheat” that he is “soft” not the way he actually plays cricket. (The reference that he is a soft cricketer is actually laughable).

I knew that was your angle all along so kudos for actually saying it. You don’t like him, no worries but you clearly have a lack of cricket knowledge and that’s ok too. It’s ok to be wrong, move on.

I don’t care about Joao, sorry.

spinking likes this post.

He's missing a game after being hit in the neck. I realise sports are nervous about anything that even smells like concussion but ffs do you think Steve Waugh would have missed a game? He retired hurt at 80, came back and scored just 12 more. Did he score them quick? Sure, but he scored just 12. England would take that every time. I still say crying for sympathy at a press conference is a pretty good indicator that a bloke goes off after sustaining a body blow. You may disagree, and that's fine. But changing things up? I didn't bring up Joao, someone else did, but I was right. I saw it before any of you, actually EVERY one of you. I don't feel bad about other people's limitations. Never have, never will.
    Steve Waugh retired hurt in his final Boxing Day test. The biggest match an Australian can play in. Lasted two balls and got hit on the elbow by Ajit Argarkar.

Is Steve Waugh soft? Clearly by your definition. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Again, I have no interest in your infatuation with Joao, I just don’t care.
    Hit on the elbow? If you can't hold the bat you ain't much use out there. Yeah, that ain't it, pal. Nice try though. how do you diagnose concussion in a living patient beyond a series of control questions? Easily manipulated by someone given to enjoying a pity party held in their honour.

Not embarrassed at all about predicting Zac's triumph in the HK premiership. Actually I'm immensely proud.
  • spinkingspinking    3,739 posts

Kramer the point you are missing here is that the decision to play or not play was not Steve Smiths call . It was the team doctors decision if he piayed or not. So if Steve Waugh was playing today and the same thing happened same result  Steve Waugh doesn't play

VillageKid likes this post.

predictable result last night from most of our batsmen. Labuschagne is showing most of them how its done. 

VillageKid likes this post.

spinking said:

Kramer the point you are missing here is that the decision to play or not play was not Steve Smiths call . It was the team doctors decision if he piayed or not. So if Steve Waugh was playing today and the same thing happened same result  Steve Waugh doesn't play

Steve Waugh plays. Don't pretend any differently. Archer's bowling has turned the momentum of the whole series. I tried to tell you. Yet again, I've been proven right. Oh and the Raiders will win the NRL. You mad, bruh? 
  • JellJell    1,201 posts
    England's lowest score against Australia since 1948 and the their lowest ever score at Headingley.

Just goes to show after yesterday's dismal batting performance, you can't make any judgements until both teams have had the ball.

All we need now is Australia to dig in and make a 2nd innings total that's very hard to chase.

cisco likes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    It's your time Usman.

Jell, spinking likes this post.

edited August 2019
    H-BOMBER said:

It's your time Usman.

Certainly is.

They won’t drop Labuschagne when Smith returns for the next test. So if Khawaja doesn’t peform here, he will be the one to go.

spinking, H-BOMBER, oldhendo likes this post.

The Aussie spinners might be in for some wickets after the turn Leach got there
    Oh dear Khawaja, just starting to look comfortable.

I’d say he’s gone for series now.
    Kwaja can't get a start
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Poms reeking of desperation.

Love it
    How’s that momentum swinging for you Kramer?
  • ciscocisco    805 posts
    My dear Mum when she was alive had a saying "You only drink out of mugs - don't fall in to them"
  • jumjum    3,512 posts

The Skipper gets dropped. Wade to keep. And look at all that English momentum off of Archers bowling

:-j
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Unfortunately, in batting terms that’s the best option.
    Has captained brilliantly though.

jum likes this post.

edited August 2019
    TheDiva said:

How’s that momentum swinging for you Kramer?

They have it back, no question but the pitch helps. They both have to bat on it but when they do matters. Aust went from 2-136 to all out for 179 in the 1st innings. So given England's 1st innings of 67, that's 18-110...if there's a bad time to bat it's when wickets are falling like Autumn leaves.

Archer TOOK the momentum after the series just looked like it would be a welcome back parade for a reformed cheat. How sides formulate a game plan around Smith seems fairly obvious to me
  • jumjum    3,512 posts

TheDiva said:

How sides formulate a game plan around Smith seems fairly obvious to me

^:)^  ^:)^

He has faced 11758 deliveries in test cricket and is the 2nd greatest batsmen in the history of the game on averages, averaging 10 more than Tendulkar, Lara and Kohli. Couple of handy backyard cricketers them 3.

And you my friend have the "FAIRLY OBVIOUS" way of getting him out of one delivery.

=D> =D>

Your phone must be ringing of the hook from every cricketing nation in the world Kramer.

:-c

Jell, oldhendo, spinking likes this post.

jum said:

TheDiva said:

How sides formulate a game plan around Smith seems fairly obvious to me

^:)^  ^:)^

He has faced 11758 deliveries in test cricket and is the 2nd greatest batsmen in the history of the game on averages, averaging 10 more than Tendulkar, Lara and Kohli. Couple of handy backyard cricketers them 3.

And you my friend have the "FAIRLY OBVIOUS" way of getting him out of one delivery.

=D> =D>

Your phone must be ringing of the hook from every cricketing nation in the world Kramer.

:-c
    Completely different story once you start wearing deliveries. Has he ever missed a game becos of a similar incident? No? Then you don't know how he'll respond. He gets the same treatment the very first over the next time he occupies the crease.
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    edited August 2019

Wow just Wow...…. You think that's the first time he has ever copped one in the head.

Doctors call to miss this test. Not Smiths.

I'm out      :-@

jum said:

Wow just Wow...…. You think that's the first time he has ever copped one in the head.

Doctors call to miss this test. Not Smiths.

I'm out      :-@

Of course he's been hit. Has he ever missed a game as a result though? Concussion doesn't not necessarily had any superficial symptoms. He wants your sympathy. He won't get mine.