G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 18 Non Members

Ashes 2019

Sport

Comments

• rooboyrooboy    1,421 posts
    Disagree Diva!Paine has done an outstanding job taking over from the rabble that was left behind!
    Nearly Australian of the year in my books but agree with the other **** scratchers!
  • JellJell    1,201 posts
    Well Mitch Marsh left me with egg on my face after that bowling performance b-(

Hopefully he can continue that form with the bat.

RIO, Tivers likes this post.

Oh look Warner gone again in single figures. I’m so glad the selectors gave him the opportunity to improve himself :-?
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Slashing at a wide one this time
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited September 2019
    Eight inning's out of nine - all under double figures, that's almost like playing with a batsman short, which makes being up 2-1 pretty good.

Although what a bowlers series, with the exception of one batsman and some cameos, and this test match will be lucky to go four days.

England in the box seat to make it 2-2. Should be another game!
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Take out Smith (and his understudy Labuschagne) and this is a very very poor Australian batting line up.
    Harris, Khawaja, Wade, Paine should all be done now and look to the future starting this summer against the Pakis and Kiwis.
    edited September 2019
    With test match wickets all over the world now being prepared for the bowlers ( batsmen do get it easy in 20/20 and 50 over format ). The team batting first if they can somehow scrounge up 270-300 they are in a reasonable position.

Also with the bowler friendly wickets - appeals left right and centre - it's time for teams to have more reviews - will stick up for the umps - when seen in real time compared to slow motion it's not easy.

However the number they get wrong ( contributed by bowler and fielding team domination ) is far too many.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    theyve stopped giving the batsman the benefit of the doubt... which is wrong.
    the batsman should get the benefit... leaving it to the bowling team to review. 
    Harris was fired again... as have so many that have been hit with the ball going down leg side or just nicking the stumps... that should be not out all day and up to the fielders to review.

As for the Aussie batting line up... its been a complete failure outside of Smith and Labuschagne. The poms would have romped it in if we didnt have smith. 

Paine.... I just cant have him. He's made several crucial mistakes as captain (ie bowling first in this test)... and when it comes time to stand up with a captain's knock... he goes AWOL... he's not fit for captain material imo. 

RIO, VillageKid likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    They only give them out lbw when we are batting Diva.
    It is amazing how quick they are to put the finger up when we are batting and end up being umpires call on DRS but keep the finger down when we are bowling that go on to be smashing into middle and leg stump.
    Just amazing that!!!
    Paine owes Marsh a beer or 12 to say sorry for last nights blunder.

Marsh was clearly convinced he was hitting the stumps with that appeal yet Paine being still being gun shy from the 3rd test wouldn’t review it [-X
    edited September 2019
    Did mention to somebody a couple of years ago - wonder why batsman have stopped getting the benefit of the doubt ? Too many were being fired out - and several decisions looked quite doubtful - that doubt should go to the batsman - if fielding side wants to review - let them.

The other argument though is why should benefit of the doubt go to the batsman? Is it clearly stated in the rules that benefit of the doubt goes to the batsman ? @Paul will know that one.

Think doubt should go in batsman's favour, especially as at the moment in Test Cricket they need all the help they can get!
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    There is no mention of "benefit of doubt" in the rules and to my knowledge never has been.

The laws simply specify the modes of dismissal.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited September 2019
    Yes I've heard radio commentators discuss this before - not a solitary thing in the rules about benefit of the doubt to the batsman and never has been, and that led to the next thing they discussed - why should they get the benefit of the doubt ?

Reckon they should - but can understand why they have nothing in the rules - because rules are meant to be black and white - no grey areas!
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    No it’s not a rule but was always an understanding. I guess the reason you give benefit to the batsman is because he only gets one chance... the bowler gets plenty more chances to make good on a mistake.

Ridersonthestorm33, cisco likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Warner for captain...HE SCORES!!!!!
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    RIO said:

Warner for captain...HE SCORES!!!!!

Faced 30 balls in an entire Test Match after gettign a double......maybe time to focus on teh 20/20 orm of the game
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    The most “successful” opener for the series has been Bancroft - by all measures.
    Average balls faced.
    Average runs scored.
    Average catches.
    edited September 2019
    Surely it's not true that - if upon winning the toss - then deciding what to do was not discussed between Skipper & Coach ? Don't believe that.