G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 25 Non Members

West Australian Racing and Bob Peters

Breeding
DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
As you no doubt will be aware, I have been running numbers all year on Perth Turf Talk, as to where winners come from in terms of breeding, on metropolitan tracks here in Perth. I have also had a look at black type or stakes races across the entire State and the results make for interesting discussion. As there are only three Listed races to be run this month to close out the season, it seemed like a worthwhile exercise.

West Australian bred horses have had a season to forget at both Gr 1 and Gr 2 levels with no wins recorded for the season. Interstate bred horses accounted for one Gr 1 victory and the remaining two Gr 1's were taken out by Bob Peters. It should be noted he ran second in the other one.

At Gr 2 level, Interstate bred horses won twice but Bob won four times. It should also be noted that in one of those races, no Peters runner was engaged.

At Gr 3 West Australian bred horses won four times, Interstate bred five times and Bob Peters seven times. On three occasions, Bob didn't start a runner.

So at Group level, Bob Peters accounts for 13 wins with 12 combined for the other two categories, of those 4 he didn't start a runner in (2yo racing at stakes level is not on his radar it seems).

When we look at Listed company, 27 wins were recorded by WA bred horses (an additional win was also recorded but in a solely WA bred field) 8 wins fell to Interstate bred horses and Bob Peters won 12 times. Yet again, Bob didn't field a starter on 15 occasions in Listed company.

The two remaining Listed races are known as Restricted Listed for 2yo's, both won by Interstate bred horses and Bob didn't start in either event.

Of course, all of Bob Peters horses this season are bred from Interstate Stallions, mostly standing in the Hunter Valley. That in turn impacts on WA Vs Interstate with just 4 winners out of a possible 25 events at Group level run this year. At Listed level this flattens out to 27 plus 1 out of 48 so far with three races to come.

It's a remarkable statistic for the RJ Peters operation and his two principal Trainers Adam Durrant and the team of Grant and Alana Williams, not to mention the many other staff who contribute to both yards success. But it's also a massive statement regarding the level at which the bar has been set to win a good race here in WA.

All comments and discussion is welcomed.
+1 -1

Manchild, Bucks likes this post.

Comments

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    After today not a whole lot more to be said but I will update when the last black type race is run in coming days.
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Unless you're regularly running second to him, it shouldn't bother you.
    I regularly am - doesn't bother me (just makes me try harder).
    ($200k for second eases the pain a bit too).
  • NgawyniNgawyni    738 posts
    If you’re regularly running second to Bob, you’re probably in front. It’s the people with one good horse who have one crack at it who really miss out. Then there’s those who are simply put off having a go because all they see is Bob winning.
  • NgawyniNgawyni    738 posts
    What’s really annoying is the way Bob’s ES breeding operation has been subsidised by Westspeed

jum likes this post.

• ManchildManchild    679 posts
    The 1 thing that I would like to know is, what turnover drops by when the Peters horses are unders.
    I wont bet on them but I wont back anything to beat em either.
    Ngawyni said:

If you’re regularly running second to Bob, you’re probably in front. It’s the people with one good horse who have one crack at it who really miss out. Then there’s those who are simply put off having a go because all they see is Bob winning.

Get your point there, but how many races does he really have a runner in ?

Interesting exercise I did last week too.................always a buzz re his cast off horses he sells the mixed sales here (perception he sells heaps of good ones).
    Went back over the last few years............ think there was ONE I spotted that had (barely) made it's purchase price back. Rest were all big losers.

Point being - he has a few very good horses that take all the big races / highlights, but also a lot of other races with horses of his in (plus the ones with none in) that are very beatable
    Ngawyni said:

What’s really annoying is the way Bob’s ES breeding operation has been subsidised by Westspeed

Not as much as you'd think.
    For starters - no platinum obviously.
    But................he also only even nominates for Standard...........no Xtra.
    Leaves A LOT on the table.

Ngawyni likes this post.

• BucksBucks    158 posts
    Bob is reaping the rewards of carefull planning and good decision making. Maybe some other breeders can take a leaf out of his book rather than complain about his success.

As Tivers said above we only see the successful ones on the track. I wonder what % he's running at as far as mares served vs winners on the track?

Tivers likes this post.

• ManchildManchild    679 posts
    I think the tax laws that are in place for all of these large breeders means that if there is a loss , then that loss is fully deductible
    But I am not an accountant..
    Seems to be a bit harder so far this season, not the same level of dominance
    Former Bob Peters part owned Stallion, Animal Kingdom, has been on sold to Japan. He just didn't connect with the Australian market in the sales ring and breeders largely stayed away from him.