G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 31 Non Members

Gloucester Park

Harness & Greyhounds
Another procession tonight.
From a punters perspective you dread GP.
You only have to listen to the caller he's half asleep in most races.
Majority of races are over after first 200 meters with leader walking first half and sprinting last qtr.
The track is becoming unbackable.
Best horses best drivers and result is boring racing and **** turnover.
Given the benefits it gains from being our #1 venue I would suggest it is the worst performing track in WA on return to punters.
Close it down, find another venue and then maybe we will see some improvement.
The place is an embarrassment to the industry.

Comments

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    It's hard to argue. I have had a crack at really following the form of late then as you say what should be the premium meetings suck the life out of you. The racing is just so boring.

I was thinking about it the other day with this desire for "like for like racing" combined with random barrier draws, if horses racing each other have similar ability (the aim of the system) on a leader biased track (which we all know it is) then it stands to reason that leaders win and those at the back of fields are left floundering.

Surely we want variation in classes racing each other and use the draw/stands to make it more interesting and giving drivers decisions to make instead of sitting where they lob and hoping someone stuffs up so they can win the race Bradbery style.

Gloucester Park racing can still be great but not down the road we are heading.

Kane_26, TrackBias, curmudgeon likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    For this Friday, 9 of the 10 races are RBD with the other one being one of those quasi group PBD concoctions. The Mount Eden Sprint should be RBD, it is the feature race but if a superior horse randomly draws to lead in the others, then a procession is the result. We know it, the punters know it.....and the turnover figures show it.......and the odds on unbackable favourites continue. Still, those who know best insist this is the superior handicapping model.
    I often think how do the drivers feel leaving the track after a night like that following on from Friday, you can hardly call it racing.

It's bloody sad really.

freodockers likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    PBD has to be implemented ASAP before it is too late!

curmudgeon likes this post.

• MorganJamesMorganJames    175 posts
    Track is to blame for boring racing.
    I believe other factors contributing to the style of racing is small field size very rarely do we have full field size especially tuesdays
    and more importantly the configuration 9/3 or no backline in most instances.
    We have to go back to 7/5 at least this made the starts more competitive.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited October 2019
    It's great when a pacer like Livuria draws the bullet and goes around at $1.04, exciting stuff, although did look at Albion Park results today and see that a $1.03 favourite went down, gosh less than 1/33, $100 on to win $3. Grant Dixon drove the winner.

What can't understand if horses are a lot more even these days...then why are their so many long odds on favourite's ?

Also shocking meetings midweek in Victoria - odds on fave after odds on fave, small fields, some races 20/1 bar two. But they were smart and said we want all mobile racing, they've got it!
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    All the handicapping conditions in the world make no difference. The track is outdated and trainers with good horses adjust to suit.
    As silly as it sounds we are better off moving our main meetings to Pinjarra on a Monday.

Toepuntit likes this post.

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    If you want real evidence have a look at payouts at pinjarra, Northam and Narrogin in last week. Good racing and good consistent payouts big, small fields, pbd, rbd, stands whatever you like.
    No doubt GP is what is dragging the industry down.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    When the "handicapping system" allows a $260k earner in Livura to randomly draw gate 1, and the $26k earner Skyline Trail to draw gate 9, then I put it to you that the system being referred to as "handicapping" is a complete oxymoron. No knock on Livura or his connections, one of my favourite horses and excellent placement by the trainer....but if this is the promised "like for like racing" that was promised, I'll whistle dixie with a tin whistle up each nostril.

All the handicapping conditions in the world make no difference. The track is outdated and trainers with good horses adjust to suit.
    As silly as it sounds we are better off moving our main meetings to Pinjarra on a Monday.

Put tonight's fields on any track of your choice, what difference would we have seen in the standard of racing/entertainment/results? I would argue that other than maybe the Brenan horse in R1 getting into 3rd there would have been very little change.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited October 2019
    Just watched replay of the ex Kiwi Billy Lincoln going down at $1.03...every possible chance, straight to the front and easy sectionals..that's one good thing though about odds on fave's - they can and do get rolled, just look at Northam last Sunday, six of them beaten at odds on.
  • AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts
    Forgot about full fields with the amount of foals born in WA last year, field sizes only going to get smaller with this handicapping system forcing owners to sell to USA as well.

Why dont they go back to 1700mt and 2100 mt starting points?

I remember outside barriers they used to lead over those distances
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    The absolute refusal to accept that the on track racing baby has been hoisted over the back fence with the turnover seeking bathwater and thus an ordinary situation has been made worse is mind boggling to say the least. 
    The magical 12 month trial milestone of the NBM is clearly just that .....a desperate hope that a rabbit is going to be pulled out of a hat without revisiting the policy.
    Even the birdcage at GP has become a wasteland  on Tuesdays ....the racing exclusion policy robbing the meetings of the fraternal camaraderie that exists at other meetings...win lose or draw. 
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Yes ive got to say ive lost a bit of interest - however i was 80% retired - now im 80% working again - so i just havent got the time to do the form

Albany is coming up - i will look forward to that - and i like when Wagin or Narroggin are on a Friday night- thats normally good exciting racing

What do you with GP ( the 7/5) is worth a shot . Ive talked up Melton - but watching some of the replays their lately - thats become a screaming pegs track as well - or if youve got the best horse - you just go into the death and win - just another procession

I think the excitement factor has gone - for me going to Harold Park ( use to walk from work ) buy an Italian pizza on the way - get a chocolate milkshake - sit in that public grandstand - where you were right over the top of the action - watch the horses do their prelimms . A couple of tote windows and TV Monitors nearby ( you didnt even have to go down in the ring ) - have a few bets at Gawler trots or Vic country trots - Geelong or Richmond greyhounds

A lovely relaxing nights entertainment - those days are gone unfortunately

Maybe with harness racing - all accross Aust - it is so professional now - the trainers are so good - it is a  production line process  - you havent got  all those small time trainers - who would have maybe 3-4 horses - but they would allways have a couple of good ones - that brought the element of surprise . That has basically totally gone now