In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 31 Non Members

Melbourne Cup 2019 Discussion

East Coast Racing

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited November 2019
    The only thing with Mer De Glacé...not too sure about the Japanese runners backing up, his runs have been quite spaced...and what was that favourite Zac Purton rode from Japan, super impressive winner of Caulfield Cup - beaten at the winning post first time around in Melbourne Cup. Something was odd about that, and think poor bugger was put down that evening.

However on the flip side - Delta Blues and Pop Rock Japan quinella - not the slightest problem backing up from great runs in Caulfield Cup.

Be game to leave a Japan horse and Damian Lane out the way they have been going.
  • hashhash    7,495 posts

Should know but...with Lloyd Williams...potted means knocked doesn't it ? Been a bit unsure on that term...to pot the black ball in a game pool means to get it in, so favourable in that way.

But if to pot a horse a horse in a race..that'd mean to knock it...I think.

He maybe right but bet if owned either he'd soon stop knocking!

He tipped 2 of his 3 confidently and absolutely potted the other (Hugh’s mount)

“Hughie Bowman rides another one for me in the race, Twilight Payment. I'd be surprised if he could win, but stranger things have happened."

https://www.punters.com.au/news/cup-favourite-cant-win:-lloyd-williams_185360/
    edited November 2019
    I'll pot that one too.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    TheDiva said:

just on beteasy... they are a disgrace to bookmaking.. they firm the odds of every runner on Ascot races when I log in...  =))

I'm the same mate, absolute disgrace. Centrebet use to do it to me, when they merged beteasy wasn't doing it but I had a good day Caulfield Cup day, went to put a bet on the next sat, thought these odds are terrible, log out sure enough still terrible but not the same. What other business in the world would get away with that crap?

Ridersonthestorm33, TheDiva likes this post.

Finche fave at $8.50! What a wide open market, only two horses under $10, could back 7 or 8 of them for profit, only trouble is the money adds up and could still miss the winner!

The rain has seen the Japanese horse drift from almost a certain favourite to third or fourth on the betting line. Will be interesting to see how he fares.

hash likes this post.

edited November 2019
    Not really one of mine to win, but abit unusual for a horse to run what thought was a pretty good third in the CC and hasn't stopped drifting, out to 40/1 and may get longer - Mirage Dancer.

Very first song heard on Foxtel today - Lost In France :-?...Southern France.
    edited November 2019
    Can't recall the last horse to start favourite in a Caulfield Cup - be unplaced - and start favourite in a Melbourne Cup, but think is the one to beat...a chance to give McEvoy 4 and Waller 1.
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    Constantinople and Moreira for me. I may ‘cheeboo’(cheer-boo) if it wins :\">
  • squid69squid69    1,434 posts
    Boxed 3,9,10,11,18,20 & 23. 

$10 bet on all exotics for various %’s.

Absolute raffle, even more than normal.

oldhendo likes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Gee whiz what a run Surprise baby. Last on the corner.
  • The_BullThe_Bull    918 posts
    edited November 2019
    Willo thanking his dentist  =))

savethegame likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    The_Bull said:

Maybe should have thanked Frankie....MoR seemed to squeeze IP onto VAD at the precise moment a bunt with momentum from behind was required for VAD to find the line. 

savethegame likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    I backed the winner each way and Prince Of Arran each way. I also had 30 per cent of the trifecta.

So as always when I get a big win..it's Chinese for dinner tonight.

savethegame, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts

The_Bull said:

Maybe should have thanked Frankie....MoR seemed to squeeze IP onto VAD at the precise moment a bunt with momentum from behind was required for VAD to find the line. 
    No doubt  contributed to vow and declared surge. So much like  when northerly barrelled viscount onto sunline, just hit her a little further forward. Love willo thanked everyone bar his beautician.    Danny o'briens  son will make a top trainer, he knows the lingo already he looks about 13 he said ive waited years for this.

curmudgeon likes this post.

Not wrong Bomber, gosh Surprise Baby was amazing. Just as amazing was the fantastic ride on the winner, thought was gone at the top of the straight, was beaten 100 times.

It's only opinion and we know he can find trouble, but extremely surprised protest was upheld. Master Of Reality goes from a head in front 30 metres to go to running 4th...if on a place you'd count ya self most unlucky.

edited November 2019
    Thought outside of the first four home Mer De Glacé ran well, the ungainly Finche was serviceable and Cross Counter ran ok. There was another horse poking up near the inside, need to see replay again to spot who it was! Constantinople on face value a shocker.

The run of the race - Surpise Baby. Australian horses 1st and a unlucky 5th - great stuff.

No matter what think of Dettori - a joke that protest being upheld. ( Only opinion! )

Also Williams ride - barrier 21 - edged his way across, get behind the leader, thought was floundering at the straight entrance, how he lifted it, will never know, one of the great Melbourne Cup winning rides have seen.
    edited November 2019
    Shows how difficult the Cup can be - the three favourite's Finche - Mer De Glacé and Constaninople none of them could run top 5! That was as close to a blanket finish as could get in a Cup.

Finche - unplaced in both CC & MC and running outright favourite in both.

Prince Of Arran - what a ripper. He'd love to call Australia home. Grows a leg here. The prize money won in Australia must be pretty good.

Both horse's involved in the protest - fantastic runs. One of the best Cups have seen.
    edited November 2019
    Tabtouch had an interesting other market on the Cup, one have never seen before.

Was about 12/1 the field and that was selecting the horse that was going to run 4th.

The protest added to the intrigue, although with protest payout think pay on both, not sure if just up to a certain amount though.

If think selecting the outright winner is difficult, try picking fourth, hence the slightly better odds , but very compressed market too.

First four home and there lead up run.
    Winner - Caulfield Cup.
    Second - Geelong Cup.
    Third - Australia debut.
    Fourth - Australia debut.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    edited November 2019
    Interesting that in the 20 year period from 1999 to 2019 there has been four Australian-bred horses who have won the Melbourne Cup. Three of them (Rogan Josh, Shocking and Vow And Declare) won the Cup from barrier 21.

Coincidence of course but an interesting stat.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited November 2019
    A lot of the hoops complaining that pace was too slow....well be prepared to blink first and do something about it.

No point complaining now, Vow And Declare can get back in the field too, but Williams went forward from 21, used up a little bit of juice but when the pace slowed right down that's where needed to be.

When a young fella can recall racehorse Scotch And Dry going 20-30 lengths clear and set up a scorching speed often, their were 100/1 chances going at breakneck speed, strarting to weaken 600 from home and the backmarkers winding up.

Today most of the big outsiders want to go back in the field. The real big roughies yesterday, 30 odd years ago they'd be scorching along up front because they knew they had no hope and might as well put some speed and interest in the race.

However hoops no point complaining - do something!

Oliver went bang near the corner and ran second last, it was like at about the 700 this pace has been too slow lets do something about it - but too late.

The Williams ride will go down as one of the best winning Melbourne Cup rides for many reasons. He rode a treat for 3,200 metres.
    edited November 2019
    That was a stewards protest ? Upheld was never in doubt then.

Noticed turnover on Cup - down again, completing a downward spiral in betting on the Spring carnival.

Crowd attendance - lowest since 1995.

There were 40,000 more when Makybe Diva won one of her Cups. Even for a Makybe Diva Cup thats a lot.

Another highlight of the day was a winning treble to Nash Rawiller. No ride in the Melbourne Cup, outstanding jockey. Not too many hoops ride trebles on the big day.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Would have made a perfect irish joke;; if irish jockey lordan lodged a protest,and he was responsible for costing the o'briens and there connections 550k. in the washup.

He works for bally doyle racing, perfect result for him extra 20k. and didn't pot anyone,
    edited November 2019
    Saw the head on again, look reckon it's the most stunning upheld protest decision have ever seen, including Choisir and He's Remarkable.

I'l Paradiso was a massive run just the same, could run the race eight times bewteen the first eight home and have eight different winners!

The more look at it, the ride of Williams, it was the greatest. The protest decision, the opposite.

edited November 2019
    Only eighth but he was good Cross Counter.

As outstanding a trainer as Chris Waller is, can't get close to cracking the Caulfield Cup or Melbourne Cup, many runners for no winning return.

Twenty runners in the Caulfield Cup since 2010 - not one has run a place.
    Finche unplaced favourite in both Cups, won a race early in preparation at double figures - bookmakers building a monument for him.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts

Saw the head on again, look reckon it's the most stunning upheld protest decision have ever seen, including Choisir and He's Remarkable.

I'l Paradiso was a massive run just the same, could run the race eight times bewteen the first eight home and have eight different winners!

The more look at it, the ride of Williams, it was the greatest. The protest decision, the opposite.

on what basis? a nose result and clearly interfered with Il Paradiso.... would have beat it home for sure with a clear run through. 

I'll be the dissenting steward, their must have been one, it went along time.
    Decision has to be made by the stewards, abide by it, but would be dismissed for me.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    you dont think there was any interference? or you dont think it cost Il Paradiso a nose? or you dont think dettori caused it? 
  • jumjum    3,512 posts

Come on riders.  . :-j   The interference from MOR pushed ill Paradisio on to the **** of V & D which pushed it half length in front. Williams has stated he felt the surge.

All up MOR should have won ill Paradisio should have run 2nd and the V & D should have run 3rd.

The winner and second horses connections should be paying Frankies fine. They are extremely lucky.

JayJay, curmudgeon likes this post.

edited November 2019
    Swear telling the truth here, 100% honest...if protest upheld from $20 investment get 1.23% ( yes 1.23% haha ) of first four dividend, if protest dismissed get zero back.

All I do is call it as see it. The same if had $50, or $500 on Luckygray - the protest against He's Remarkable imo should've been dismissed.

However it's only opinion, that's what they pay stewards for - to come up with a decision, and bless 'em for coming up with upheld.

I really need to watch slo mo head on replay some more times, because must be missing it! So late in the race, shadows of the post, can't see anything, must need new glasses I think.
    edited November 2019
    With the protest being upheld a punter turned $10 into around $800,000 with Sportsbet.

Happened to open account that very day. Funny that.

Whether true or not - said to a friend, I guarantee 100% ( especially after recent judgement against them ) that Sportsbet will have a massive winning punter win well into the hundreds of thousands of dollars or a million from a small $20 or $50 bet, but was wrong, it was only $10.

Just happened to open up his account that very day, what a surprise, must make a lot of people want to open accounts with Sportsbet after hearing and reading about the great win.

His girlfriend dumped him on the day too, can't beat real life drama.