G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 6 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts

Junior ? Novice ? Concession ?.....those luxuries weren't around when I received licence # 445 :))  Out you went on equal footing from the jump.

Additionally that eras lack of assistance to outsiders and non entrenched families makes me doff the hat to G Hall Snr ......achieving what he has coming from a non harness racing background and family is a stupendous effort. 

I can remember Peter Manning saying exactly the same thing - when he started off as a young bloke ( which is many years ago now ) . He said you got no help - re training knowledge from any of the established king pins at the time - they would tell you absolutely nothing .

You have to be consistent - ive said all along that i thought Trevor Warwick was the best allround driver - he won on alot of ordinary horses - like those Monday twilight meetings at Richmond Raceway

Hayden Fisher was allright i suppose - but i think he was stable driver for Bill Horn there for a while - but i didnt think he set the world on fire

The one young driver back then - if he had stayed in the game ( i think he went down an Engineering track - because there was more money in it ) was Geoff Marriot - i rated him - he was an intelligent driver - knew his form and didnt slaughter them
  • Kane_26Kane_26    88 posts
    Geoff Marriott @Markovina! Your kidding right?

Do you not remember his “comeback” about ten years ago? Give me Johnny Filardo any day of week!
    Im talking when Geoff M was young  35-40 years ago

Forget about the Johny Farnham  Rocky Gattellari comebacks
  • JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    Early 80's, driving that really good horse for John Harney...Euroman or Euraman....Geoff Marriott won a heap of races ....FFA's and Cups...Easter Cup or a big race at Christmas (will check later)....I think that's the time Marko is referring to, he certainly drove a lot of winners and drove them well.

VillageKid likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    John had Euraman Sean had Jack Morris and Gerry Harney had Meggie Dear .....all at different times but for periods they individually laid claim to being the best horse racing in WA. 

JayJay, VillageKid likes this post.

Think Geoff drove Meggie Dear as well.
  • Kane_26Kane_26    88 posts
    Yep my bad guys, I thought Marko meant when he come back. A few junior drivers back in my era I always liked but whom once they lost their claim they lost their desire were David Pellew and Luke Woodworth.

I had Aaron Beckett in that same group but he still drives occasionally.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    JayJay said:

Fish had a great mentor in his grandad old Bert Fisher up at Orange Grove....I well remember many a chilly morning up there with Hayden driving fast work for us (and lots of others) ... from a very young age. Can't put a year on it but late 70's .....Val Pereira, Wally Thomas, Don Harper Snr, Jack Jones etc.......she was a busy joint on fast work mornings. Old Bert was the track curator and a great old fella. Ex steward Graham Bennier had the property next door to the track......haven't been up that road for decades, no idea what is there nowadays.

Sad to say there is not much there at all at the old Orange Grove track these days unfortunately JJ
  • spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    Last i heard of Fish he was  C.Wallers float driver. Is the old training track for pacers on Kalamunda road and the Great Eastern highway bypass still there

VillageKid likes this post.

spinking said:

Last i heard of Fish he was  C.Wallers float driver. Is the old training track for pacers on Kalamunda road and the Great Eastern highway bypass still there

It is still there Spink not sure if it is used much these days tho?

JayJay, spinking likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Watched replay from g.p. last night see one driver doing his best to push a few more punters away from industry.looked like a  very naughty boy.
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    If your referring to race 2 im with you on that one.
    not race 2...I am in the punters corner with this one  a stinker.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,717 posts
    Scrolling through tabtouch, I'm pretty excited. Can get my fixed odds bets on for Marburg trots tomorrow. Of Course If you want to bet on Gloucester Park you will have to wait until tomorrow morning.

Bet local everyone, support your industry!
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited November 2019
    Hahaha how true, and tight little track that Marburg, saw one taken on in front one Sunday for about "five laps" and still won.

The fave in the same race one out one back ready to pounce and dropped out!
  • AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts
    Does anyone have a market out on the Golden Nugget?
  • Sportsbet have one up
  • jumjum    3,512 posts

Sportsbet have one up

Whats the early crow Panda
  • After Shockwaves run on Monday he’s worth a few dollars at $26 but I’m not a big player on all in markets.

Betonme, Browny123, jum likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,717 posts
    How good was Ultimare Snipper today?!?!?

Ridersonthestorm33, cisco likes this post.

edited November 2019
    And am sure Cisco will agree...how good is Blair Orange! One of the best of all time, the other fella Dexter Dunn driving many winners in the USA.

Not bad the Kiwis, small population, they go alright.

And in regards to the Nugget a bit the same, had a bet or two in my time, but number of wagers on "all in markets" - zero.

cisco likes this post.

edited November 2019
    Interesting to see Cruz Bromac take out the NZ Cup at Addington today for the All Stars driven by Blair Orange toppling his stable mate stars Spankem, The Fixer & Chase Auckland whilst the unlucky Classie Brigade finished amongst the placings.
    I remember CB running unplaced a couple of times at GP in some of the 4yo Classics to Bettor Reward & Beaudiene Boaz a few years back, he has well and truly kicked on since then.
  • OnTheBridleOnTheBridle    36 posts
    edited November 2019
    Will any come for our features?
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Looking for some assistance from the form analysts on here.

I know they are not machines but Perlee Gates last two runs are in significant contrast.

Sat one/one at Northam and could not run past a horse and actually lost ground.

Led at GP and was never in danger in comparable times
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts

I know they are not machines but Perlee Gates last two runs are in significant contrast.

Behind leader at Northam...HU according to stewards report
    What I did notice having a look,  we are heading to the  Queensland style of racing they all go around three times in a fortnight . if my maths are right think nearly 60% of the runners had raced within seven days ----perlee gates was 3rd up in space of ten days having last raced in april with his previous three runs were over a five month period.
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts

Behind leader at Northam...HU according to stewards report
    My bad, definitely held up at Northam and was a sound run. The run I was referring to was the following run at GP when it couldn't keep up at the finish.
     I see on the HRA Stewards wrap - Andrew DeCampo got another 12 months suspension - on a cobalt breach - actually he got 18mths - but was already suspended for 6 mths - that concurrent/cumulative - has allways bemused me a bit

248  the reading was - way over the 100 limit - 3 previous prohibited substances on his training card

I dont think he can complain once found guilty about the penalty he received - as i have said previously - they are fortunate its not NSW - Cobalt charges they get hefty suspensions over their
    edited November 2019
    Blair Orange again, this time in the big trotter's race at around 20/1.
    He's the best ever..yes better than Shannon Suvaljko, I know I know haha.

The more see of the big tracks over the years, has taken awhile, but the more like them.

Was interesting viewing with "On The Gig" and the domination of the All Stars stable and just how difficult it is to drive against them. ( All the stablemates).

Was it ever going to be any different ?
    Best ever? Turn it up Riders, you make an early start on the cooking sherry?