In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 36 Non Members

Group One Kingston Town

West Australian Racing

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited December 2019
    Talking of how a great ride is always needed - Vow And Declare from barrier 23, admittedly over 3200 - but the ride by Craig Williams and to lift it over the line when appearing beaten 387 times, now that's the best ride I've ever seen.

There was a very fine line between Vow And Declare winning or running eighth and Williams on the day made all the difference.

Pike did it on Regal Power from 15, Harvey on the Turbo from 16, Currie Hey Doc 14, if the hoop can do the trick the horse can too.
    Still the same answer though Spink - 4,5,6.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    barriers at the 1800m are far more vital than the mile or the 1200m.
    Of course, but noticed didn't stop Prince Turbo a few days ago - 1800 metres - field of 16 - barrier 16 - too easy.
    edited December 2019
    Just three things matter.
    1. Luck in running.
    2. Horse right on the day.
    3. A great ride.

1 and 3 can go together a lot. Can do all the homework you like but if anybody thinks luck in running doesn't count for much - tell 'em there dreamin.

However you've got far more chance of good luck from 3,4,5 than 14,15,16 and even the ubiquitous statistics will tell us that.
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts

Gate 15 put me off Regal Power, gate 16 put me off Prince Turbo and gate 14 put me off Hey Doc but am slowly learning.

Its not the gate so much as the tempo. If they'd gone as slow in the Railway as they did in the Guineas, Regal Power would not have won. Ellicorsam started fav in the Railway but she was a leader and the wide gate brought her undone. Most horses, although not all-have a racing pattern and perform best when ridden according to this. Luckygray won his second Railway courtesy of the speed drawing wide and providing the tempo he needed to run on late. Even Hey Doc, yeah he ran a slick time and he's an Australian Guineas winner who has won the Aurie's Star, and has all the way victory in the Manikato, so you know he has sustained speed. But he was able to settle into his rhythm without being pestered. Maybe the fact that Home Of The Brave was drawn outside made the difference? Once he was half a step slow he was never gonna cross and HD was just content to work across at his own leisure. I didnt have Vital Silver sitting 2nd going that fast. If HD & HOTB had cut at each other VS would have had the perfect sit on them.

Uttsy likes this post.

• I think Tuscan Queen puts this lot away.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    Kaycee also too long in comparison to Tuscan Queen (although i think she'll have her measure). $12 compared to $3.30. Both will be hard to beat with 50kg each. 

therealkramer likes this post.

can I suggest you watch Mississippi Deltas last win.
    also note that from 16/9 to 4/11 he had 6 trials, the last 3 over 1450m.
    something is cooking...
    :-? :-B

Uttsy likes this post.

• TheDiva said:

Kaycee also too long in comparison to Tuscan Queen (although i think she'll have her measure). $12 compared to $3.30. Both will be hard to beat with 50kg each. 

Agree, can’t see her turning the tables, but she’s value if the fav gets into trouble

• LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    Just remember Regal Power paid $12 the place on this day last year.

Tip: never let a cerise and white go around at $70 (in an 8 horse race)

However the fillies have a big advantage again this year!
    edited December 2019
    Can recall when the three year old fillies in weight for age races use to carry 46kgs...think at one stage may have been less, perhaps even 44.5kgs wow that was light.

Cerise and white - and rough - oh no not Star Exhibit again ~X(
    just remember they are fillies..and like all females can have off days. the stint of hot weather would not have helped.....just my opinion, that's all.
  • thefalcon said:

just remember they are fillies..and like all females can have off days. the stint of hot weather would not have helped.....just my opinion, that's all.

Why would the hot weather not have helped the fillies?

it is common knowledge in racing that extreme heat affects fillies and mares.... :-B
    edited December 2019
    Yep there's been a few with the mares and fillies - extreme heat affecting them more and for some reason keep following and backing a mare in form.

The grey horse's always run well on heavy tracks...what else...um always back the top weight in a hurdle race...if in doubt in any race back the top weight. Don't leave Pikey out of your quaddie. Always back the roughie in a small field. Been a few over the years...mostly old wives tales.

But mares and fillies feeling the extreme heat more, think has truth - would be interesting to find out.
  • thefalcon said:

it is common knowledge in racing that extreme heat affects fillies and mares.... :-B

I think that’s just a sweeping statement, a lot of owners and trainers use as an excuse.
    If true we’d lock up our fillies and mares for Summer. An interesting study has shown that fillies and mares perform best in Summer over the other three seasons.

i'm talking about the extreme heat we are now having..
    26 degrees on saturday  :D
    edited December 2019
    Regal Power and Achernar Star got the same barriers as they did for the Railway Stakes 15 and 16 respectively, odds of that happening?!

Tuscan Queen barrier 3.
    Best Of Days 2.
    Kay Cee 1.

Am going to take barriers 1,2,3 always trifecta, just in case!
    edited December 2019
    With one of the Corps - Superstorm ( barrier 4 ) a clear cut second fave, wow...it should make that toppie in the last at Bunbury today a good thing.

Drifters on Tabtouch - Gallo Chop out to 25/1, Star Exhibit 25/1 and Jericho Missile 33/1, still $13 available Kay Cee from gate 1.

Tuscan Queen crunched after the draw to $3.30.
    Just on the toppy in the last today:
    Scott Embry's best bet
    Terry Leighton has left it out of his top 4. 

:-??
    there is a real ruffie in the last..glen albyn…..#11
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    TheDiva said:

26 degrees on saturday  :D

Perfect for the Punters Club on Staurday in the betting ring area
    edited December 2019
    Toppie in the last, best of good things for a place that is! Amazing Superstorm never won that day. But Mr. Kunaafa was wide too on the day.
    edited December 2019
    Barrier draw and jockeys decided - it's time to draw a line.
    1st Regal Power
    2. Tuscan Queen
    3. Kay Cee
    4. Mississipi Delta
    Smokey - see he's now the rank outsider - guarantee 100% won't be running last, not so well off at the weights but will stick with him - Platoon.

Think if anything it's even a better betting race than the Railway Stakes.
    Several would surprise if won, but wouldn't leave any horse out for fourth in first four betting.
    edited December 2019
    To actually run last reckon it'd be 8/1 the field, could back ten of them to be last runner home and still miss it, and if Tuscan Queen or Regal Power don't win another 8 or 9 could.

Credit to the field.

thefalcon likes this post.

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    I have Tuscan Queen as the first leg of a massive 5-leg multi that doesn't pay out until the Raiders win the NRL Grand Final in 2020. That's the only investment I'll be having this weekend.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

I still like Mississippi Delta..those 6 trials got me thinking..thats a lot of trials... :-?
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    It killed them first up (MD). It has to be their main Perth Cup chance

Wouldn't surprise me if the cerise and white ran the top 4