G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 25 Non Members

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited December 2019
    See that Tattered And Torn held a couple of records over the 1200, Len Pike and Gerry Donnely or Roy Edwards and David Brosnan ?

Am leaning Len Pike training the very fast Tattered And Torn.

Gilbey is a terrific memory and use to back one with a similar type name and a favourite of mine - Giotto.
  • spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Don’t know if that book would be worth anything with those signature dout it . But asJJ said good memorabilia. Riders I have WA race books dating back to1947

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Tattered and Torn  think it went to melb. with harry wulff as the jockey think it was bert byrant who said can't believe how short in the irons, he rides, just guessing maybe bill Dillon  trained it, haven't been able to access what spinking has put up, Bill Dillon had  a grey horse called kendon won about ten in a row.

Harry Wulff was top class apprentice  as was rod kemp. both from kalgoorlie

edited December 2019
    The Racebook with the signatures - for somebody who collects racing memrobillia, surely would be worth 100s and 100s to the right person.

Like anything though - what your prepared to sell for and what their prepared to pay.

I'd get it valuated though just the same, think they do charge for that. It's unusual memrobillia and to the right person you'd think priceless.
    edited December 2019
    I only kept Racebooks from meetings I won at - I have three.

Do they have sporting memrobillia auctions ? They'd put a reserve price on it, and go from there, properly displayed and authenticated, could go through the roof or attract bugger all interest but to racing people who collect memoribillia am favouring being worth good money.

How much though also do you put on sentimental value ?

spinking likes this post.

edited December 2019
    Those hoops came from as far away as India, and to have the leading hoop from the Phillipines etc - how did the WATC do it ?

Also that makes the book + signatures incredibly rare, probably a one and only. What price could you put on it ?

The organisers that far ahead of their time it wasn't funny, to get that sponsorship and pull it all off an amazing effort for that time.

That's why always be appreciative of your sponsors!

That’s the question Riders. Reminds me of a time when there was no sky channel to see a race you had to be on track. And plenty of people were. None of this maybe 6-10 thousand the place was absolutely packed to the rafters. Us kids that worked in the room had to go down the mounting yard to get the saddle if the jock you worked for ran 1 to third. Heard some very funny comments from the punters over the fence. And the colourful return commentary from the jocks

edited December 2019
    For a wealthy collector - the type who just has to have it and money is no object - well that's just the type you want!

They can right out cheques for thousands in these instances.

Even if not intending to sell, bloody oath I'd pay to check out it's worth, out of curiosity at least.

Will say though sporting memoribillia like anything in the market place has its dizzy highs and plundering low's at auction etc.

I've occasionally read about the racing type memrobillia collector there's a few around in Australia I'd think. Depending on condition of book too.

Sentimental value might far outweigh though.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    2 of those horses I can remember especially Spink were Bridge Of Friendship and Regimental Honour that ran well into the 1980s which is my era.
    Great post.

edited December 2019
    Was great how the Racebook did the good write up's on the international jockeys with photo - they used their mind in those days - no buzz words, just did it off their own bat. Got them to Perth from all over the world.

Being racing people guessed helped too, today that would be of little importance. Just the office phone - wrote letters - spoke to people. Didn't take a lot hey.

• GLAMOURGLAMOUR    677 posts

Hard to see anything but Regal Power, Star Exhibit or Mississippi Delta winning. Very thin race.

Regal Power

hash likes this post.

• GLAMOURGLAMOUR    677 posts
    GLAMOUR said:

Hard to see anything but Regal Power, Star Exhibit or Mississippi Delta winning. Very thin race.

Regal Power
    Not much Depth
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    savethegame, Kendon was owned by brothers ken and don summers, I think it was trained my "uncle", eddie "ever ready" spencer.
    don was owner of Willoughby that good horse that won a lot of races here in perth and in Melbourne it was trained by the pateman guy who sadly died.
    don was as mean as buggery, fair dinkum if he was a ghost he wouldn't give you a fright.
    he'd come into The Charles after the races and never offer anybody a glass after his nag won a big race.

edited December 2019
    26 horses in the Cup now up from 25 the one added is Suzuka Devious from Japan :-O
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Falcon my memory must be playing tricks ---always had kendon winning 9-10 in a row with Bill Dillion. 
    Falc there was a block of land on Mathieson road between Keymer street and Aurum street  virtually over the road from the 1600m start at Ascot, that had a sand track around it years ago that horses worked around. Everbody called it Spencers paddick i am thinking that it was maybe owned by your uncle or he worked his horses there would that be correct

savethegame likes this post.

you could well be correct, stg. i'll ask around..you do the same.
    spink, that would be spot on, probably named by/after eddies dad, old Barber Spencer who taught eddie "the ropes"...
    ;)
  • meatpiemeatpie    410 posts
    spinking said:

Falc there was a block of land on Mathieson road between Keymer street and Aurum street  virtually over the road from the 1600m start at Ascot, that had a sand track around it years ago that horses worked around. Everbody called it Spencers paddick i am thinking that it was maybe owned by your uncle or he worked his horses there would that be correct

Probably was at one time but the then WATC sold it to Dallas Dempster and it became Tilden Park mStables, has had many incarnations in recent years.
    just had a look at the field...bloody hell its weak.....I counted 10 that will not start, that would leave 16 and I reckon 5 or 6 of them will drop off.
    if that Nippon nag comes over it will go very, very close.
    edited December 2019
    Agree falcon, think 10 - 12 runners might be in the ballpark..under 10 a rough possibility. Smallest field on the cards since Bianco Lady, ridden by outstanding hoop Brent Thomson won in 1983.

Realise 26 looks ok now, but still a few weeks to go, many doubtful, and natural attrition could see it fall to under double figures, will see.

The Japanese horse will provide great competition and attraction though against the cerise and white, but has to be doubtful itself. Some corps still not including in their market as of this morning.

About 15 - 20 years ago when Cup still over 3,200 they increased field size to a safety limit of 18 plus emergencies. Times have changed.
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    There were a couple of comments made in the on air discussion with Grant Burns the other day when the Masters was reviewed. Essentially the Perth Cup is lost in it's current format, the date is again confusing for any sort of branding and why the 1st of January has been lost so it falls on the closest Saturday following the 1st is embarrassing.

More also should be made of the sprint series from the Summer Scorcher through to the Miss Andretti and Scenic Blast Listed races as well.
    edited December 2019
    Would love if the Victorian horse that ran 5th in the Melbourne Cup had have been nominated, Surprise Baby, it was massive in the Cup and would've won the Perth Cup in a canter, but a good spell of course and much bigger fish to fry for that one!

That though a good example of the type of stayer that would arrive in Perth before Christmas 25 + years ago.

However why more eastern states interest is not shown in Victoria and Sydney is a mystery, some of those 2nd and 3rd stringer stayers trained by Chris Waller would be more than competive.

At this stage all going well with Regal Power and providing it runs, it's got the Cup at its mercy.

hash likes this post.

edited December 2019
    Remember when the current Melbourne Cup winner Tawriffic arrived for the Perth Cup for Lee Freedman and Shane Dye.

Starting a hot favourite, Tawriffic did diddly squat and think missed top ten. It was going to be a cakewalk and a matter of how far.

Out an out champion Reckless winner of the Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane Cup's and runner up in the Melbourne Cup came in the late 70's and ran third as favourite, but was at the end of his tether, and pulled up lame.

Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane Cup wins and a close up second in the Melbourne Cup all in the same year, goodness gracious what a champ. No wonder a crowd of a touch over 50,000 came to Ascot to see him run.
    edited December 2019
    If field size did happen to fall, say under 12 - they'd be silly if nothing is done for the future, it's the one race that needs to be looked at.

Can be a tough critic but thought rest of the carnival - Railway - Winterbottom - Kingston Town were teriffic, and sensational betting races.

The Guineas a little dissapointing - but Kay Cee did run second!!

If take the cerise and white out of Perth Cup - the Kalgoorlie Cup was a far better field. That's not saying a hell of a lot.

Then again if there's little numbers in quality and quantity of staying types what can you do ? Australian racing is built around early winners and from 1000 to 1600 metres.

What does give promise though are the runs of Australians, Vow And Declare and Surprise Baby in the Melbourne Cup - their is hope.
    Riders I may be completely wrong but wasn't that the horse that got gat here and a couple of locals either got done for it or were at the least incriminated
    edited December 2019
    Spink that would be Tawriffic, now that you mention, yes do recall it. How much was investigated can't recall, but do remember Lee Freedman possibly having a bit to say at the time.

Tawriffic ran an inglorious race, but then again he wasn't really a world beater despite winning the Melbourne Cup. Was expected to win though just the same - think he started at 13/8 or 5/4 something like that.

Can't recall if he had a start here before the Cup, would've only been the CB Cox Stakes would say.

Think had the yellow/blue check colours.
  • squid69squid69    1,434 posts
    Something from left field, but Perth Cup related I think.

In my younger days I saw a photo of Gerry Donnelly cradling a horses head in his arms. It had fallen and was fatally injured. I am sure the horses mane was Khora Ribbon (?) and the fall occurred during a Perth Cup in the 1970’s.

I don’t know why I have this memory, I’d say it was the compassion being shown which touched me and is in my memories.

Ridersonthestorm33, thefalcon likes this post.

edited December 2019
    Definetly Khora Ribbon about mid 70s...the photo was surprisingly used in the TAE Year 12 English exam 1981 with many other photo's on all facets of life...and kids could select which photo they wished to write about. The idea was just to tell your story - what the photo meant to you - and write about it.

At the time darn well knew who it was alright, a favourite horse of mine who broke down badly in the Perth Cup some years previously. Nearly fell off my chair.

Was a compassionate black and white photo, and yes Gerry Donnelly.
    edited December 2019
    Don't think any fall, or only fell as unfortunately broke down, had a little history with leg problems, but am sure either won or ran a big race leading into the Cup. Was more than a handy stayer, and one had the pocket money on a few times.

Had a few good collects way back then on Cups - Runyon, Philomel, Golden Centre and had a good go on Muros a place, not the year it won at a big price but the following year.

Bianco Lady - 83 a good thing! Moss Kingdom 84 - good thing!

Missed just as many though - Rocket Racer and the heavily backed Linc The Leopard to name two. Saratov the Croweater in about 95-96 was about the next decent collect!

When Rocket Racer went passed the old ledger the first time around - immediate thought - it won't be winning, pats on the back for leaving it out, when they came past the second time he was going 100 times faster!

Impressive win, and contrary to popular belief - he actually did run again - finishing about 4th in the old Imperial Stakes possibly, no thinking would've have been a bit after that.

What a great race that was - the Imperial Stakes for the stayers - run about two weeks after the Perth Cup.
    edited December 2019
    The WA Tab had a great idea in about 1990 to run a tote double on the Railway and Perth Cup, they had the Railway Stakes field released and Perth Cup might have had around 24 horses linked in, and if didn't get a run - too bad.

Not quite sure how they did it now but it was smart - winners Railway Medicine Kid ( Jason Oliver) and Perth Cup roughie Zamlight ( Mark Sestich ).

Tote double paid massive - thinking 800 or $1000, was ridiculously big dividend.
    Had Zamlight, but alas no Medicine Kid, the easier one to have, for some reason just didn't like him on the day. Wrooooong.