G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 39 Non Members

Busselton Rules!

Harness & Greyhounds
Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
edited December 2019 Harness & Greyhounds
Didn't take long and has rolled around again, good to see lots of standing start veterans continuing their remarkable careers - Maximum Demand being the eldest at 13, with several 9 -12 year olds going around.

Very interesting runner in the first too, it's along way from Cambridge and Alexandra Park NZ to be drawing the one in a stand at Busselton WA, no doubt first few steps off the mark crucial for the well named prepost $1.55 fave Awaitinginstructions by the Kiwi champion, little dynamo Courage Under Fire.

Ten year old Busselton stalwart Captain Proud in great form last summer hollidays also back fresh for another probable shot at the Busselton Cup. Safe beginner and quintessential battler Call Me Ernie arrives, it wouldn't be a standing start meeting without Ernie!

In an era where several country tab and non tab tracks closed down, terrific to see the Busselton tradition continue.

The name Suvaljko sure to be prominent throughout the round.
+1 -1

cisco, VillageKid, squid69 likes this post.

Comments

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Just had a look at the fields and that is punting at its best.
    Some likely types off handicaps vs ss professionals off the front line.
    Race fitness comes into it but gee you could spend all day studying the form to get a couple of roughies.
    Good old fashioned handicapping great to see and I'm looking forward to a good dip at it.
    Go Busselton and all concerned.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

PS Sjuvalkos will struggle for 2 winners first night.
    Bring it on.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited December 2019
    What recall from last few seasons - plenty of good dividends in the novelties + Quaddies. One of the trickiest rounds in Australia and in a sterile world it's a throwback to the good old days.

Need more than an ounce of luck too... but so what it's better than sterile USA pacing for instance! That's amazing - the fave's lead nearly every race - they either keep going or weaken - and thats it. Fascinating ( and boring ) stuff.

All mobile racing 8-|

Nobody has to bet on Busselton but at the very least, bloody enjoy watching!

TrackBias, VillageKid likes this post.

edited December 2019
    Did watch a few ( for the first time ) from Wayville the other week, wow a few drivers weren't that good at getting them away from the stand - must be a real art to it, the timing, anticipation, hands etc and of course the horse itself.

Trainer too, the art of standing start comes into play - reinsman, trainer, horse.

In an era of ( gallops and harness ) sectionals, lead times, ratings, all mobile, what they had for breakfast, speed maps etc - it's good to see!

TrackBias, curmudgeon likes this post.

Agree Riders whilst ability is the major factor when it comes to stands and small tracks it more about gearing the horse to suit and the rest looks after itself.
    It's an art in itself that's why those that did their apprenticeship at places like York dominate standing starts.
    Don't need sectionals just good horsemanship.

edited December 2019
    No doubt JJ will deliver a report, some punters maybe awaiting instructions.

As far as the Kiwi import is concerned, haven't seen the Byford trials but like all have watched them debut first up in Australia from NZ, several go very well and a few others have no idea at the start, mobile or stand.. this three year old gelding has Scott/Suvaljko combo and think we'll know after 2 seconds on the clock if the pre-post odds on pop looks the goods or not.

A three year old Courage Under Fire gelding to set the night off, it's a mixture of the new and the old tonight. If like taking odds on and Awaitinginstructions steps - edge to the que. If he does the Harlem Shuffle, trouble abrews.
    edited December 2019
    Did enjoy York freodockers...probably miss that track more than any. Richmond Raceway, Harvey, Cunderdin, Trayning, Wyalkatchem likewise, oh well that's progress 8-| Merredin another gone forever..

Went to the York races a little while ago - for a racecourse that was under enormous pressure to survive - it was a picture, well supported by a terrific crowd.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,630 posts
    Wasn't going to post anything but if you take the $1.55 about the favourite in the first at Busso, then fair dinkum, you hate your money. First, he is a 3 yo maiden and only a little fella, second it is his first try at a stand at his first run in Australia and his first exposure to a particular un-New Zealand like summer and Shannon has never driven him before, third it is his first look at the egg bowl, fourth you know Adda Boy will fly the tapes and be 30 plus metres in front after 500m, fifth Flaming Cullen looks to be quite a nice horse, sixth Bettor Finish has probably seen better days but has won 12 races and $100k in stakes and did win from 70m in a stand at Kellerberrin back in March, seventh Sammys has won 3 of his last four in much better company than this and home track advantage.....and people want to back him at $1.55. All we know is that he can run a quick quarter and I hope like hell he can win, as does the bank manager but for goodness sake, he ain't no Mount Eden.

VillageKid likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,890 posts
    One of my rules I have adhered to over the years - is never back pacers 1st up 

However tonight - and mainly because it is a standing start - I thought Captain Proud gets in well - only 10metres - it has raced   in far superior fields than that - normally a reliable beginner -I have had something on it at the $14 E/W 

I thought the odds on favourite was quite beatable

Gilgamesh, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• aussiebattleraussiebattler    277 posts

Did enjoy York freodockers...probably miss that track more than any. Richmond Raceway, Harvey, Cunderdin, Trayning, Wyalkatchem likewise, oh well that's progress 8-| Merredin another gone forever..

Went to the York races a little while ago - for a racecourse that was under enormous pressure to survive - it was a picture, well supported by a terrific crowd.

York was one of my favourite tracks ,drove a winner there many moons ago 

Yep agree York was a great track to drive on particularly when surface was that local river sand type surface. Should never have been closed down, one of the best things were the burgers and wood barbies. Was always a great atmosphere there.
    Can't resist odds bettor twisted in first tonight small field and a horse with a sharp finish, third run back should be close to full fitness.

What was the horse at York aussiebattler
    edited December 2019
    Thought had a great smokey in the second race 33/1 and 4/1 - the three horse, Rigoli drive - got behind the leader, perfect, but that was it, ran 4th and couldn't get past the K. Hawkins horse who poured the pressure on three wide for two laps!

"Coiled up like a rattlesnake" the Emily Suvaljko drive never a truer word been spoken, it was fair dinkum bolting! Scott/Suvaljko crew starting where they finished off last season - winning.

Allthewaytoroyalty or whatever called cant get over that...never has a horse had a softer run and missed a place!
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,788 posts
    Riders  being a punter you call it every year shannon suvaljko dominance  boxing day at busselton  his a class above at the stands on the  saucer but this is not part of the script Emily giving him a little bit of move over dad I have arrived.
    edited December 2019
    Did you notice up the straight, not an inch given, don't know who was more determined to beat the other. The aggression going to the line was reminiscent of FR Kersley and Trevor Warwick!

Emily your right Curmudgeon, putting it all over dad, but only at this stage.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    edited December 2019
    Not me potting Shannon Riders.....STG is the culprit.....I will wait for end of program before tally. STG has been known to inject a bit of life into the Suvaljko family breakfast discussions I think  :D

Gutsy efforts Fight Song and Attack On Command, the real awkward spot though is behind the leader, unless the split comes, that fourth horse should've nearly won, but that's the luck of it all. Fine line.
  • ToepuntitToepuntit    241 posts

Riders  being a punter you call it every year shannon suvaljko dominance  boxing day at busselton  his a class above at the stands on the  saucer but this is not part of the script Emily giving him a little bit of move over dad I have arrived.

It’s easy to get them away from the stand when you don’t actually stand, more a walk up start 90% of the time. And yes he is very good at a walk up start when everybody else is standing. No knock just stating an observation
    edited December 2019
    The bullet draw in the money 6/6.
    #1. Three firsts, two seconds, one third and scratched. With #1 scratched # 2 ran second so 7/7 in the placings from inside draw.

Some eye catchers so far to follow for the rest of the round - Packed Safely, win of the night and not far behind Awaitinginstructions, also Fight Song, Attack On Command, I Am Immortal, Johny's Grange and Betta Go Bolt all good efforts.

edited December 2019
    The Wizard might be another one to follow, nice run. Good old sticker Bandar grinding home for a pleasing third.

3 votes - Emily Suvaljko
    2 votes - Packed Safely bloody good drive to get that out of trouble too.
    1 vote - Awaitinginstructions - I'll eat my hat if he doesn't win again over the round.

Emily Suvaljko and Jocelyn Young some smart driving.

I think jay jay tricked us.

• ChrisChris    5,219 posts
    edited December 2019
    Jay Jay stitched you blokes :))
    Great night of racing---- could be wrong but may have been  Emily suvaljko first night  of driving at busselton to land a treble ho ho ho. Edgeton -green masters the track continue's on from last years double with another double ho ho-- Shannon only instructions for his one was don't fall out;--ho

-Good win Jay Jay watched his runs in n.z. of cause he is still learning his craft,and he raced righthanded in a couple.he thinks about jumping outta of his gear, or he touches, but as a owner all the things you mentioned do creep into your mind whether  there 1.50 or 10s. just between the two turns, think the sticky date bun hit the deck,as quick as he was going to jump outta his gear, he was back down.  Sort that glitch out he should only get better. He continues your ,impressive winners to runners ratio from n.z.

You stil have a copy of coulsons why they can't win---ha-ha-   On a personal level   I thought he was a risk. Were he finishes up anybodys guess,  but seems to have more desire then the  chico.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts

PS Sjuvalkos will struggle for 2 winners first night.
    Bring it on.

The Suvaljko's had that done and dusted by Race 3 FD, the reverse mock haha.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts

Did you notice up the straight, not an inch given, don't know who was more determined to beat the other. The aggression going to the line was reminiscent of FR Kersley and Trevor Warwick!

Emily your right Curmudgeon, putting it all over dad, but only at this stage.

Was a sensational ding dong driving battle all the way up the Busselton straight between father and daughter Riders, great viewing.
    Once again a great crowd at Busso and looked a good atmosphere as always.
    Yep they got me VK must admit didn't think the first was Shannons, even before JJs post, interestingly first run from let up, 3yo first attempt at stand, put a few roughies in,won easily in the end, 1.4 seconds outside track record mmm bit more than 1 quarter in him.
    Unlucky runner of the height already been mentioned Betta Go Bolt.
    Biggest run of the night Attack On Command.

VillageKid, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,630 posts
    Yes STG, he has a few tricks, doesn't hit but loses concentration, immature.....but he can run a bit for a little fella. There is a bit of a story behind him......he is out of a sister to Phil's former very smart horse Satans Dispute, a horse that I really liked.....and ....I loved Courage Under Fire, the best juvenile I have ever seen and a sire who throws a particular type. If you saw this little bloke and you couldn't recognise him as a Courage Under Fire, then it's off to Specsavers. I have always wanted a Courage Under Fire but with him now deceased, thought my chances were gone.
    He went through the Melbourne APG sale and Neil Pilcher (World President of the Courage Under Fire Fan Club and owner of Smolda etc) bought him for $36k and took him back to NZ. Neil used to help out at Purdon's stables each morning, would get there early and then ring up Mark and ask for his "Instructions" for the morning. Thus, his name "Awaitinginstructions". Sadly, Neil died shortly afterwards and the horse ended up with Mark Purdon's sister and brother in law, Suzanne and Tony Herlihy. I was watching replays one morning from NZ and saw him run 2nd to nice 3yo Larry Lincoln at Cambridge. He came from way back and showed a good turn of foot, I then watched his trials and workouts, and although he went a bit rocky on occasions, I thought "I wonder if he is for sale?". Well, he wasn't..... but after a bit of negotiating and to and fro, I managed to secure him. Very grateful to Suzanne for parting with him, with obvious emotional attachments to the horse (His Stable name was "Ossie" with the connection to Neil...and not one to court bad luck, it remains his stable name) and over he came to Matt's stable. He is the most calmest, gentlest little fella imaginable and I am happy as a clam to have him....and to see him step so brilliantly and show such speed (albeit I know it is only Busso but he showed a great turn of foot)....Well, as an old fella who finally has his Courage horse, probably bought for all the wrong reasons surrounding misplaced sentimentality and nostalgia....I am regularly told there is no place for that in today's society.....go away, please......I was a pretty happy camper on the drive home from a cracker of a race meeting at Churchill Park last night. The crowd was amazing, the queues to get a bet on 10 and 15 deep.....and I know it has its limitations as a track but long may it live. A lot of the younger drivers last night couldn't get over the noise and atmosphere and loved doing their thing in front of the "mob".
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts

Yep agree York was a great track to drive on particularly when surface was that local river sand type surface. Should never have been closed down, one of the best things were the burgers and wood barbies. Was always a great atmosphere there.
    Can't resist odds bettor twisted in first tonight small field and a horse with a sharp finish, third run back should be close to full fitness.

Closed down by the Shire FD not RWWA. An alternative venue inside the racecourse was never going to work and was only 30 minutes from Northam anyway with virtually no horses trained in York itself. Backed one from 33/1 to 6/4 and it won by a head so I have fond memories also.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Busselton was also under the radar for a Shire closure.

They offered an alternative venue out of town at RWWA's cost but that would never have worked as Churchill Park is in walking distance of many holiday makers.

Once again 30 minutes from Bunbury so impossible to substantiate spending millions of dollars on a new venue with greatly reduced crowds.
    Without creating alarm bells if we are sold to Tab Corp. and there removal of stands for pacers in Victoria----are we putting in place our wish prior to the sale the continuation of  busso. -------That RWA wish not to go down that path- or is it as simple you will do as we tell you. 

Of cause realize in the scheme of things busselton would amount to one peanut in regards to the  full-drum. t/over- rapid fire wall to wall racing  

curmudgeon likes this post.