G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 13 Non Members

GP-10/1 Fremantle Cup (Group 1)

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• PackedMetalPandaPackedMetalPanda    166 posts
    Awesome to see Stewie McDonald win the Freo Cup. Great bloke and pretty underrated as a driver over here in my opinion. Well done Stewie
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,719 posts
    edited January 2020
    Should have just been loading up Grinnie Vinnie as we all picked him!  

Handsandwheels looked off his game pre race, copped a bad run but he ran to how he looked. Don’t recall seeing Snr so excited winning a race. 

Luckily had a little chicken feed left to back Mon Lillies and then turn it into a good night on Valbone a place

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited January 2020
    Not smart enough to back, but swear as soon as read from @aussiebattler that My Field Marshal and Alta Orlando weren't arriving, ( I mean seriously we are in 2020 - just get them here ) one name immediately crossed the mind and one name only - Gary Hall Snr...he's done it that many times winning the Fremantle Cup it's almost become a walk in the park.

The two late scratchings, give that guy an inch...and he'll take a mile! Well done to one of the all time great harness trainers.

TrackBias, Constantlybroke likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    Cheers Gilga on Valbonne Had a decent go eachway and got $4.80 the place  :-bd  LEGEND 

Chris, VillageKid, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Agree on Grinnie Vinnie Gilga thought the same.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Was cooking on the BBQ and the power went out .....turned into an early night here.

freodockers likes this post.

Final Tally
    Freo. 7
    VK. 4
    Gilga. 3
    Tip of the night VK, Gilga Mon Lillies.
    Couple of unlucky roughies Leftrightgoodnight and B17.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Caviar Star in winning the Fremantle Cup broke the track record for 2536ms with 1.54.2 (previous record Lazarus 1.54.5) and obviously also the race record set by My Hard Copy 1.55.4 in 2018.

Gary Hall Snr has now trained an incredible 9 Fremantle Cup winners (Im The Mighty Quinn x 3, The Falcon Strike x 2, Beaudiene Boaz, Chicago Bull, My Hard Copy & Caviar Star x 1).
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,719 posts

Final Tally
    Freo. 7
    VK. 4
    Gilga. 3
    Tip of the night VK, Gilga Mon Lillies.
    Couple of unlucky roughies Leftrightgoodnight and B17.

I need to work on my ratio of outright winners. My punting tends to be away from the top end of the market so that doesn’t help with my tip to winner ratio
  • AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts
    Why would R Williams run 27.9 coming to the bell when the only danger is sitting on your back?

Mind Boggling

PackedMetalPanda likes this post.

Very true Gilgamesh I am with you on that one, I do not see the sense in risking my hard earned on a $3 pop. Would rather have two bets a night at 20s rather than 5 at $3.
    I guess that's what makes GP such a hard track to get a ret
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Reading stewards report--- What  am I missing handsandwheels three wide early into the breeze,  compounds no surprise,  they  have run a record 1.54.2  for 2536m.  only gets beaten 17.6m. at  the judge ----- they run last/half.56.3sec..was a 11/1 chance at the get-go. vets exam, q.p. after race-----still beats vultin tin home by  13.4 metres. at 9/1.and the stewards blew it a kiss. be more concern with vultin tins performance. who was sitting back, and didn't spend a penny,suppose we all look at things different.

Had one bet for/night dontstopbelievin.e/way..was tipped, if it could reproduce its Albany run, it would go close, watched the replays this morning was still coming on the line---- .only heard it on car radio.l/night. The master likes to practice racing on the marker line-----,he can get them to fly through the air after the race is finished. .

Cant_Refuse likes this post.

Thought Handsandwheels was disappointing the week before just seemed flat to me. Vulcan Tin never stood a chance from rear trying to make up ground out wide last 800 mtrs.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    My observations of the Fremantle Cup - and I thought it was a pretty good race - I wasn't financially invested ( I was too busy cleaning up at Leeton and Newcastle - where you can actually win on the punt )

As allways im not matey with any of the participants - so unlike most others - i can actually post what I actually  think

The best run in the race by a mile - given the time/sectionals they ran - was Shockwave by a mile - I have really taken to that horse - its as honest as the day is long - its got a great turn of foot -and I hope it goes on and win over a million $s in stakemoney 

Now for the brick bat - A C Lewis hey - in my opinion that's one of the worst big race drives I have ever seen . Im pretty sure that during the week I read that he was going to hold the lead - ok you can tell the mugs in the press anything you like  - ive watched the start 3-4 times - he made no effort  to even hold a forward position -  his eyes are darting out wide - Brown  took the initiative - as did McDonald ( who got the plum spot behind the leader ) and A  C Lewis did not lift his hands once - or boot up to try to get that spot . Then on the final bend - he got tangled up - dear of dear oh me - certainty been . Ive consistently said that Trevor Warwick is the best ever - and if he drives Lewis horse last night - it walks in 

Again in my opinion only - hes lucky that the late Russel Roberts doesn't own the horse - because there is a good chance the horse might be gone.

Good luck to McDonald - but don't give me this nonsense that he is underrated

Now while im on a roll - the current score is 6-0  6-0 5-0 40 luv - and im serving with new balls - Vultan Tin hey  ( got a lovely cart up on shock waves back ) - ran 2nd last  - and would have run a clear last - only for a horse breaking gait gait on the final bend - and that's where it would have finished in the recent NZ Interdom final if it had qualified for the final 
    \

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Very pegs orientated track last night....always that way inclined but things got bogged of the pole line. Yes Marko, Vultan Tin not in the game his last 3 runs, granted, but to be fair, I think he has drawn 9, 9 and 12 which makes it very hard.
    Was only making a correlation between vultin tin, and handswheels runs- in regard to there ind.performances----there is two vultin tins he looks tired. be a great training performance to rebound as a winning hope in pacing cup,. for me his looking for the long yard.-and recharge
    Just on "worst big race drives I have ever seen'....obviously not familiar with some of the Demmler slaughters on Steelo (some of which the great horse was able to overcome) or the Gammalite crucifications that took place race after race?
    Bit harsh Marko looked like Lewis didn't want to bustle his horse early (led two starts ago over 2100 and got beat against much weaker opposition). Don't think anyone except Brownievwould have anticipated Vampiro crossing early in the end there was nothing anyone could do about it.
    Last 250 mtrs there were horses wandering around everywhere if you watch Hall Jnrs horse it was all over the shop, Jimmy Johnson was drifting in and out around the turn, Caviar Star ducked back in on the point of the turn from 3 wide and unfortunately for Lewis he was copping it in the middle with a handful of horse.
    I do think Bondy should invest in some head checks though, his horses appear very fickle around interference lately.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    edited January 2020
    Vultan Tin is the perfect example of what happens to horses who week in week out draw badly in races over distances of 2100 and 2500m. He is as tough as any horse who has raced in WA for a decade...yet the winning and placed efforts doing it hard throughout over the 2100 and 2500m early this campaign look to have drained him physically and he appears bereft of his mental spark at this point..
    It is an issue in terms of a horses longevity and welfare.....I think the distance of races will have to shorten in order to stop blowing them up given the sectionals and overall times being asked of them. It is ludicrous to ask horses to beat the 2500m time run by a horse who 18 months ago was considered the equal of any in the world.....and then back up again in the following weeks.
    They aren't machines....I believe the repetitive tough longer distance races can suck up to 10 starts out of a campaign.

It is also a big problem for lesser horses who race week in and out over long distances under the majority RBD conditions of the NBM. They can draw badly infinitely in races populated by better performed competitors and be flat as a tack by the time if and when they ever draw well

Additionally you can't scratch without penalty after acceptances in harness like you can at the gallops if you believe the likelihood of any races pattern is going to be detrimental to your horse going forward.
    Why is that difference in protocol between the equine codes in existence?

JayJay likes this post.

• sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    Hi Markovina,  Temora r2n2 .. Thought it could win .. Any thoughts...
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    JayJay said:

Just on "worst big race drives I have ever seen'....obviously not familiar with some of the Demmler slaughters on Steelo (some of which the great horse was able to overcome) or the Gammalite crucifications that took place race after race?

Honestly Jay Jay - if you were a fish - then you would have to be a Flathead 

You know - you throw out the line - well for bait you could use anything - in fact you could put an old  sook on the hook -and along would come the flathead or Jay Jay and go gulp 

And leave Teddy( Winner of the World Driving Championship ) out of it - why are you so dirty on him . What - did you ask for his autograph one night and he knocked you back 

Caviar Star pegs all the way
    Vampiro pegs all the way
    Bill Haley pegs all the way
    Anna Malak last went to pegs after 400 mths
    Our Jimmy J 1x1 from the start pulled out 3 wide at 400 and basically stayed in same spot.
    6th back all raced in one out line and wide last 800 mtrs.
    Welcome to GP.
    As far as track record Lazarus would belt Caviar Star or any horse in that field for that matter so I think that says it all about "track records or times" too many variables and too much emphasis.
    Those first five probably would have finished first five l/night,from any barriers. Lazarus on the rail probably capable of 1.53. .----- he did run heat of inters in 1.54.5 (2536m) when he was used in the first lap. three deep  greater part of first lap. ------

That freo cup was 1.55.4 when hard copy won. but three deep the trip......But no horse got more forward then vampiro's wheel until after the bell.so there was no actual race pressure from another runner, just the speed brown was prepared to go .which in turn made the 1.54.2 mile rate. 

curmudgeon likes this post.

Remember back one night at Cunderdin FRK had a mare racing in minor company and she duly won, nothing spectacular until it was reported she had set a world record for a mare over the mile.
    It was duly written up in a news article to which he basically said it was a load of ****.
    Cunderdin was always 2 to 3 seconds faster than any other track in WA for some time. It was rule of thumb to add A few seconds for any recorded When doing form.
    It was a good shape, had good camber but on most occasions it was like concrete. So much so you felt sorry for the horses when you heard there feet hitting the surface.
    Long story short is GP any different speed/recorded time wise nowadays.
    Suppose you could call it the WACA of 800 mtr trotting tracks.
    From memory Countess Gina.
  • sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    She was trained in Sydney  by Ross Oliveri when Edgley bought her..
    Yep, was the dam of potential super star Masterclass.

Reason I remember is our horse ran 2nd to Countess Gina in that race and although she went on to win 14 races, she never came withing 4 seconds of her time that night when she ran 2nd. It was a freezing cold night. Countess Gina was however a very capable filly, won the Oaks I think.

VillageKid likes this post.