G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 31 Non Members

The Great Bert Bryant

East Coast Racing

Bert Bryant calling the latter stages of the 1970 2 horse Queen Elizabeth Stakes 2500 metres.

Big Philou  -  Roy Higgins

Rain Lover  -  Pat Hyland

Comments

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    Classic race. Classic call. 

bookielover likes this post.

• bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
    He went on to say, after going for Big Philou to get the photo, I'd hate to be wrong in a two horse race. 

Bert was a great guy who loved a bet. I think it was either a brain tumor or an aneurysm, which brought an end to his career. He tried to make a come back but only called one race. 

You would listen to Bert on 3 UZ,  for the colourful calls, with expressions like,  hanging like granny's tooth, big and weak like a boarding house cup of tea, it'll be home after dark, pulling like a Collins Street dentist, they are spread out like browns cows, it's covered more ground than the early explorers, the answers a pineapple, they have jumped out of trees to back this, they have backed this as if there is no settling, and  the bookies will need extra Mayne Nickless armoured vans to bring the money home,

However, if it was a close photo, you would immediately turn the dial to 3 DB to find out who Bill Collins went for which is why he was given the name, the accurate one.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Listened to Bert byrant calls as young bloke could be 10-20 jammed around the radio----,all  the oldies  sucking on a dart.---Remmeber Bert would say on the Maribyrnong river ,side of the course----,down by chiicquita lodge-----, jumps racing the first of the abbatoirs  treble,and he jumped it like a cat, so you hung on to every word bert said, I didn't no how far from the line was chic lodge, etc etc ------- Friends ive had more tips in this then a can of asparagus.

Bookie lover did you see the famous steeplechaser Crisp prior to him going to England---no doubt the greatest effort by a horse in defeat in the  1973 aintree G.N. ---Berts calls of him winning by 20 lengths, before he left our shores would have had everything.

Poms named him the black kangaroo.- Crisp.

Ridersonthestorm33, bookielover likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited January 2020
    "The answers a pineapple"... that's the only one I don't get...am lost on that one!

Have seen the Crisp and Red Rum amazing finish, truly heartbreaking for Crisp to go that close, and Red Rum finished up a legend himself, which was a good thing, and Crisp deserved that to be so.

Think it was Berts way of dealing with his audience- in regards-when things went wrong. like when a long odds-on fav. got beat,& no obivious reason,  he could give,   ----------the answers is a pineapple----meaning NFI.-------that's how I took it.  Bookielover may have different view----.

Bookielover----- esp. odds-on  that went under--. for the bookies. YFB.

Humour call was John Hunt at GP. One horse race..  Hunt's mate Chris Lewis the driver...  though one horse race Hunt with 200 metres to go calls something like "What's this flying down the outside?" Lewis even had a look.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    "looking at more tails than Hoffman"...."hanging like granny's tooth".
    bert and his wife molly stayed at mum and dads when in perth. he and dad use to disappear to tattersalls club to play poker...for a very looooong time!!

Friend of mine is  convinced Bert Byrant came over to w.a. to call one race only, a particular perth cup  and he was full as a state school hat rack, by the time the race came around.He has a vinyl record somewhere,of the call;

He,might have been on the juice with your old man. ------ First 100.000--- perth cup was run on a Monday 3rd jan. 1972. 34,341 people --hot as.----The first on that day was called by Barry.Thomas.

Kendon had recovered from his leg injuries sustained in 71. to start in 72 cup Dillon had three runners Kendon,Aubella, Santa Martella -----Eddie spencer did have aubella prior to Dillon as he recommended to owner --the beach would suit.---aubella ran second to fait  accompli in cup.

edited January 2020
    Not alcohol related but I think it was Bill Collins who called a shocker at Bunbury one day and was very upset behind the grandstand after the race.

On the alcohol front a certain Perth caller called as if imbibing impacted on many occasions.
    edited January 2020
    Was in Melbourne about '78...Olympic Park Greyhound track, located close to city, wonder what it is now...anyway put ya losing tickets in the barrel - we had plenty - out comes the draw and Bill Collins announces and the winner is from West Australia...Mrs...my mum!

Had to have been rigged we reckon they just liked the publicity of someone from WA being on track, but took the good prize, whatever it was!

edited January 2020
    Did read a good book by Bert Bryant was a blue cover, lent it to somebody and of course never returned...he did mention in it how much the betting was affecting his commentary - think decided he had to give the punt up on the races he called.

Weren't Bryant and Collins fortunate to live and commentate through those times. Two way or three way turf talk on the radio was something you looked forward too. They belong to the ages.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    edited January 2020

Was in Melbourne about '78...Olympic Park Greyhound track, located close to city, wonder what it is now...anyway put ya losing tickets in the barrel - we had plenty - out comes the draw and Bill Collins announces and the winner is from West Australia...Mrs...my mum!

Had to have been rigged we reckon they just liked the publicity of someone from WA being on track, but took the good prize, whatever it was!

The old Olympic Park Greyhound Track is now the Collingwood training ground (Lexus Centre or similar) and AAMI Park where the Melbourne Victory, City, Storm & Rebels play soccer and rugby Riders.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
    edited January 2020
    I agree with you Save the Game. He'd say answers a pineapple when he couldn't explain something.
    Bert was a big drinker beer mainly. Bill loved wine.
    STG, I did see Crisp one day at the Valley. Won by a million miles. was the best I have ever seen as a jumper.

Bert had a son Daryl. Don't know what he's doing today. Bill had a son John. had a few issues during his life. His wife was Robyn. A very nice lady. 

I don't know the ages of the members here, but if you  were born from about 1985 onwards, you missed a golden era from 1960 till 1985. Huge crowds, big bookies and punters, great atmosphere, and the two greatest callers ever. 

Those days are gone forever, although I have to say, I was impressed by the fact that during the carnival in Perth, you had around 10-12 bookies working at Ascot,which by today's standards is a good number. 

savethegame likes this post.