G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 12 Non Members

Comments

• RedhandedRedhanded    6 posts
    Enjoying the new Sports Daily lineup. Lots of in depth sports coverage, hosts keep on track and don't interject. Well done team
  • spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Welcome aboard Redhanded 3 posts all about the sports daily lineup in 3 different posts you are vtaken with them keep it up

jum likes this post.

edited January 2020
    JimmyPop said:

spinking said:

Welcome aboard Redhanded 3 posts all about the sports daily lineup in 3 different posts you are vtaken with them keep it up

Still getting used to the web format!

spinking likes this post.

• JimmyPopJimmyPop    316 posts
    I keep struggling with modern technology. Apologies Falcon. Bring back the days of Swanky Yank, Pirates Reign, King Warrior, Black Kara, Venetian Princess, Twig Rocket, Arkenstone, Go Saba, back then it was the West and the Daily News, the Sunday Times and The Sunday Independent and of course The Sports Review, one of the best publications ever. I miss the days when everything was so much simpler.
    I like the new line up. I didn't think i would like the young kid but he is good and Digby has always been a delight to listen to. Don't like the sports talk but Im probably stuck in my ways. Im just racing and football. My son tells me that most of his mates bet on sport so i suppose you have to cater for everyone.

oldhendo likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Played footy with young Tims dad and uncle JimmyPop...great people....no surprises the young bloke works hard ....will end up a bewdy for WA racing and sport.

JimmyPop likes this post.

• BobcatBobcat    159 posts
    Getting sick of hearing about the NFL.

JayJay, Gilgamesh, razor, tom likes this post.

• tonytony    2,361 posts
    Only 2 weeks and it will be over for a year Bobcat
  • licklick    305 posts
    As soon as AFLW is to be discussed I am off to Bazil and Steve at 6PR. By the way, all the AFLW players are “Superstars”.

Manchild likes this post.

• JimmyPopJimmyPop    316 posts
    lick said:

As soon as AFLW is to be discussed I am off to Bazil and Steve at 6PR. By the way, all the AFLW players are “Superstars”.

Please no AFLW.
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    edited January 2020
    Too much talk about irrelevant sports non stop. Stick they the key events only.

JayJay, thefalcon likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    I have pretty much stopped listening ....not the slightest bit interested in gridiron or any other American franchisee sport....or golf....or tantrum throwing tennis players. The AFL gets sufficient coverage elsewhere, as does the Big Bash nonsense. I know it is the "Sports Daily" but for mine it still should be racing radio, concentrating on WA racing/pacing/chasing and major Eastern States stuff....trying too hard to be all things for all sport. But that's okay, that is the direction they are taking, its fine, I have a turn off button...and I use it .........regularly.....and tune back in for segments that interest. Do wish they would desist with certain allegedly knowledgeable regulars but that's just personal preference. Hate the "And how did it feel when you finally picked up the trophy " or whatever questions along with "And tell me, what does it mean to you now that you have achieved.....or doing it for " slop. I am waiting for someone to be honest and say" It felt good sticking it up (insert my opponent), he is a tosser" and "It didn't mean stuff all to me, I got the cash and that's good".....seems this enquiry/state of mind fake genuine Home And Away type tripe is the preferred line of questioning taught at " how to be a media personality" school.

thefalcon, Chelsea likes this post.

They need to employ an undercover agent....anonymous personality ......who asks the hard questions friday about 7am....forget the hour of flour ...light some bonfires and leave them to flame on over the weekend.
    Won't happen and not the fault of the presenters....I suggest Steve Wolfe with a voice distortion 
    :)]  ;))

Gilgamesh, jum likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    ^^^ sadly will never happen. "controversial" is not in their vocab. I have no idea why "they" will not allow anything of real interest to be discussed.
    you ought to hear Melb. or/and Sydney's racing/sports shows...
    :-bd
    Controversial?....steady on, I referred to a non specific person as "some muppet" and it was suggested I was sailing close to the "please explain, you're a very naughty boy" category. Until there is a "separation of state and church", there will be very cold winters with no bonfires left to smolder.

curmudgeon, savethegame, thefalcon likes this post.

• tomtom    76 posts
    Don't think Wolfy's been on since Gareth left. Most of my mates have tuned into SEN through there phones so guess where they are betting now? Even when Wes is on he sounds like Mother Theresa. They wont read out any text messages that they think might upset the applecart and agree far to emphasis put on other sports other than racing AFL and cricket.

savethegame likes this post.

Ok, thought I might have been a bit harsh, so i tuned in at 5.30am  this morning and have listened to the whole shebang, trying to be as objective and non judgmental as I can. I honestly don't know what segment or demographic of society they are aiming at. It seems to me to be a scatter gun approach, trying to vacuum up up as many sectors as possible, no particular focus or direction. For mine, I can't ascertain what they are trying to concentrate on.
    Newsbreaks every 30 minutes seems manifestly excessive and repetitive, newsfreaks listen to the ABC, incessant traffic crosses to main roads focusses on road travelers, not relevant to early start stable staff, very strong focus on American Gridiron and Basketball, then its Brad Hardie, then its Lindsay Smith, then its Steve Butler, someone from the Wildcats, some stuff on tennis, some big bash stuff, some soccer stuff.....it seems all over the place.....commentary on bits of music, the temperature of the air conditioning in the studio.....Tim's multis on the tennis, best bets from all over the place...does anyone actually write them down and follow them (hard if you are in the car driving?) My preference would be a focus on the core business of racing, pacing and chasing  (the Bell Lap has seemingly been sacked) but obviously, they do their market research and this is what the majority want. I find it really hard listening....No doubt, other generations think it is the bee's knees.
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    It's just a guess, but the aim maybe to broaden their appeal to positively impact on poor ratings thus drive their revenue up by charging sponsors and advertisers more off the back of those increased numbers. Just as a Racing formatted program, they didn't even figure in any survey. If I wanted my business or product featured in a campaign, especially if it was a non racing related item, this is the last place I would want to advertise. It's all very well if you're advertising a Stallion looking for mares or a sponsorship that is related to a racing fixture, but almost anything else is just throwing money away as the audience is so small it's too hard to accurately measure.

For this reason you can understand why Perth Racing and RWWA take to the airwaves of 6PR for race days and campaigns. It's also why Perth Racing are on the back of buses and on boathouses, simply Racing Radio is preaching to the converted and nothing will ever be gained by simply sticking to an ever shrinking audience.

thefalcon likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,719 posts
    I listened to most of the show, did they even mention that there is a meeting from Pinjarra Park today? Or touch on the Ascot results? Might have missed it in the first 20 minutes. 

As mentioned by others way to much focus on American sports, obviously the lead up to the Super Bowl is something to speak about but fear it will carry over
  • loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts

They need to employ an undercover agent....anonymous personality ......who asks the hard questions friday about 7am....forget the hour of flour ...light some bonfires and leave them to flame on over the weekend.

Won't happen and not the fault of the presenters....I suggest Steve Wolfe with a voice distortion 
    :)]  ;))
    The Hour of Flour  :))
    ....and delivered in monotone.. the two most useless words in history on a racing centred radio station...."gamble responsibly". Just for entertainment value I want to hear someone say " don't forget to pin your ears back and have a crack today because our major sponsor relies on turnover".
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    I never listen to the cr*p so who is their major benefactor? TABcorp?
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    I reckon the hosts are doing the best they can. Not easy to be across all sports and trying to fill in 3 hours of live radio.
    I like the thoroughbred and the AFL content. Whilst I am not an avid American sport follower I do enjoy watching it on tv but listening to the boys especially Digby imparting his knowledge on radio is not appealing at all.
    Gareth had the X factor which unfortunately the current hosts do not. But I am not about to pot them.
    If I can get one lead or winning tip out of the hour of power then that is worth my tuning in.
    I enjoy Brad Hardie bringing the goss from the east and speaking his mind.
    The alternative to listening to the sports daily at 7.00am on my way to work is.....Basil ??? Pass :-q

JayJay, JimmyPop, Manchild likes this post.

Yep, Basil....there is a line in every sand dune.

oldhendo likes this post.

TheDiva dislikes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    Are they off the air? I've got nothing on my car radio
  • ElitistElitist    365 posts

Are they off the air? I've got nothing on my car radio

Me too, had to stream through my phone on the way to work

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    1206 down.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Just listened to the Gloucester Park Preview so it was working fine in the Northern Suburbs.
  • loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    I noticed that a survey poll was out voting on 1/2 hour news update, or just hourly

Hourly was street's ahead

VillageKid, Manchild likes this post.

• detonatordetonator    4,360 posts

I noticed that a survey poll was out voting on 1/2 hour news update, or just hourly

Hourly was street's ahead

Didn't see that but hourly for me.

VillageKid, JayJay, tony likes this post.