G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 22 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Big run to come from last on that circuit and in good time.
    New track record although don't know what previous holder was.
  • loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    edited January 2020
    KTQ said:

Looking at Albany's meeting tonight I notice trainer B.Howlett with a very strong hand in the Cup, and also in other races on the night.

He seems to have some very consistent horses & win's his fair share of races in particular in the Country.

Do not know much if anything about him, other than trains out of Busselton.  Can some learned Harness fan's here throw some light onto his history etc.  Thanks

I think hes thebomb.com haha not sure what you want to know outside that

Hes trained horses for years, starting out under Johnny Marsden as a 16yoish. Breeds a fair few every year, buys a couple in NZ at the weanling and yearling sales and occasionally at the WA yearling sale. Trains all his own horses. Had some real good ones over the years that never saw their potential due to injury - like any trainer - starting with Peaceful Melody, her kids Major Peace and Classic Peace and then ones like Better Be Supreme, Lil Miss Hilarious etc.

Best horse on paper is Jack Mac which won the Pearl and Slipper but broke a pedal bone winning a Nugget prelude. Also has Talktomeurmattjesty racing, Culpeka and Major Express, won the Sires with Lights Above, WA Derby with Three Blind Mice and Trotters Cup with bonny little Sunnys Little Whiz- if only she had better knees. Has had pretty good success considering 99% of them are purchased as babies and not proven. Horses always look a treat and are happy and that makes a huge difference in their racing.

Has great staff who know their stuff to help out and he puts horse welfare #1. Hes a good man. Probably will be grumpy I wrote this - he is humble, doesnt like the limelight (I guess thats why you dont know much about him), doesnt want accolades and just wants his horses to be rewarded and selected in fields based on their ability and form rather than on stable status or popularity. Unfortunately, and I tell him so, those days are gone.
    Thanks, for the reply, and good win last night.

I managed to watch a bit of Twitter @rwwaharness that included an interview, along with others with  Terry Ferguson & Emily Suvalkjo.. It was a good coverage. Had to laugh at Chrs Voak's assessment of his main danger in one race, a cheeky reply but was 100% right

VillageKid likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,735 posts
    I think Bejewelled is worth a bet R4 today @$9 at Williams
  • KTQKTQ    319 posts

A great weekend for the Howlett stable with TalkToMeUrMattJesty running a smart field off their legs in the Ray Duffy Memorial & the very promising Culpeka winning the Albany Cup with ease last night and not to forget Ohaka Titan winning in the last race.

@KTQ how is the little champ Jack Mac coming along from his serious injury?
    Thanks everyone. 

Albany Cup twas a pretty week field but Culpeka is a very nice horse - albeit awful in the stalls being a stallion. I literally will need to buy some traffic cones to set up around him  :( A very late night last night - didn't get to bed until after 4am but worth it for the results of the weekend.
    (Punters Dream got checked by Dancing With Mach and lost momentum. Pre-race we thought he was a contender)

@VillageKid  Jack Mac is due for an xray this coming week. We had a horror week including losing his little half sister and the dog so good news is surely due. 

freodockers, VillageKid likes this post.

Good luck KTQ great to see good results from country bumkins against the gurus.
    Great win in Ray Duffy very gutsy drive btw hard to do to expose yourself like that.
    Keep taking them on.

• aussiebattleraussiebattler    282 posts
    KTQ said:

Looking at Albany's meeting tonight I notice trainer B.Howlett with a very strong hand in the Cup, and also in other races on the night.

He seems to have some very consistent horses & win's his fair share of races in particular in the Country.

Do not know much if anything about him, other than trains out of Busselton.  Can some learned Harness fan's here throw some light onto his history etc.  Thanks

I think hes thebomb.com haha not sure what you want to know outside that

Hes trained horses for years, starting out under Johnny Marsden as a 16yoish. Breeds a fair few every year, buys a couple in NZ at the weanling and yearling sales and occasionally at the WA yearling sale. Trains all his own horses. Had some real good ones over the years that never saw their potential due to injury - like any trainer - starting with Peaceful Melody, her kids Major Peace and Classic Peace and then ones like Better Be Supreme, Lil Miss Hilarious etc.

Best horse on paper is Jack Mac which won the Pearl and Slipper but broke a pedal bone winning a Nugget prelude. Also has Talktomeurmattjesty racing, Culpeka and Major Express, won the Sires with Lights Above, WA Derby with Three Blind Mice and Trotters Cup with bonny little Sunnys Little Whiz- if only she had better knees. Has had pretty good success considering 99% of them are purchased as babies and not proven. Horses always look a treat and are happy and that makes a huge difference in their racing.

Has great staff who know their stuff to help out and he puts horse welfare #1. Hes a good man. Probably will be grumpy I wrote this - he is humble, doesnt like the limelight (I guess thats why you dont know much about him), doesnt want accolades and just wants his horses to be rewarded and selected in fields based on their ability and form rather than on stable status or popularity. Unfortunately, and I tell him so, those days are gone.
    Culpeka NZ must have be in the 1% ;) got a nice drop in class and ran like a good horse gave us with average and weak horses something to chase .I’m proud of our blokes run no matter the opinions of others .Quickest he’s run over the distance and he pulled up super ,should be improved from the run ,beat a couple of nice types home no matter the circumstances of their luck in the race .Well done on the win and best of luck at GP with him he’s a nice import with proven ability
    Minor difference in distance and format for race conditions are different being HWOE OJJ performance was a tad quicker 
    2683m MSOUR JIMMY JOHNSTONE NZ18 March 20171:56.2
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,799 posts
    Even more meritorious----think he may have been purchased as yearling in n.z  stand corrected 
    edited January 2020

Even more meritorious----think he may have been purchased as yearling in n.z  stand corrected 

Yep quite possibly correct ,nice purchase proved himself in NZ before being imported  https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/infohorsews/wsd06x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=HorseSearch&Arg=hrnzg-DoSearch&Arg=TRUE&Arg=hrnzg-rSite&Arg=TRUE&Arg=hrnzg-HorseName&Arg=Culpeka

Not proven before purchase  like some of the other imports ,maybe a higher risk lower outlay move that has proven to be a good one ;) 
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    I was barracking for Barney @aussiebattler ....you would have to be happy with him.
    looking at Culpeka NZ looks like the Albany Cup was like a kellerberrin trackwork his form includes some really nice company back in NZ including a 4th to Chase Auckland In the 
    Race 7 - 2018 WOODLANDS STUD NORTHERN DERBY (MOBILE PACE) (Gr1), $235,000, 3YO, 2700m That race went a MR of 1.57.3 and he was only 7.5m back 
    For the battlers to come up against that caliber of horse in a race in Albany wow mind boggling for the record this week that was the only race some of the LT$40k had programmed at Albany our other nom was the I’m the mighty Quinn at GP also a LT$40k but with no concessions so Culpeka wouldn’t have been eligible but could get into the Albany race with a concession ,Yes we were very happy with him curmudgeon he will get a well deserved couple of days off 
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited January 2020
    Did notice Barney poking up near the pegs, wasn't too bad, Miss Stonebrige she finished off as hard as anything in the race, bar the winner of course - will win again down there!

Did notice Barney poking up near the pegs, wasn't too bad, Miss Stonebrige she finished off as hard as anything in the race, bar the winner of course - will win again down there!

Thanks thought MJ did a good job driving him our budget for buying horses would be lucky to be 5% of the bigger stables so if you factor that in with the chance of finding a decent horse we feel like we won the lottery with a horse like Barney .Searching for another to add to the stable Might be easier to win lotto lol 

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,900 posts
    Trotting is a bit in the doldrums a bit - turnover wise bver here - and some not happy with the handicapping 

But in my opinion the thing which has allways held back Trotting - re from a turnover point of view - to get serious big gallops punters involved - is bizarre stewards decisions 

Like if you are  a trots follower/punter you know part of the script is that over the journey you have to  just accept bizarre stewards decision

Now at Tamworth a 1.60 fave galloped for the final 200 metres - ran 3rd - stewards report - it didnt improve its position by galloping - so it kept 3rd place

Last Thursday at Maryborough - Torrid saint - hit the lead 40 metres from the line - was going to win easily - broke gait - ran 4th - stewards demoted it to 6th ( changes 1st 4 betting ) - but it didnt improve its position by galloping - where is the consistency 

Yesterday at Junee race 5 i had a decent e/w bet on Conrod Kenze at the $10 - it sat behind the leader - at the 350 the thing in the 1/1 was under the bat and couldnt keep up - so CK eased off the pegs- like you see a million times in races  - they briefly locked wheels - it took the lead and never looked like being beaten in the straight . Protest 2nd against 1 at the 350 - upholding that protest - is why serious gallops punters dont touch Trotting

savethegame likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,664 posts
    Someone mentioned Pataz on here a few posts ago, very good horse of Bob Wood's. Reminded me to mention that veteran stalwart/trainer from the south west, Vince Alabisi, passed away last week. The connection with Pataz?...well I,m pretty sure that Vince stood On Parade at stud, the sire of Pataz and quite a few other winners.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,799 posts
    Dudley (boof) Anderson. Master Farrier,Trainer -Reinsman--R.I.P.
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,841 posts

Dudley (boof) Anderson. Master Farrier,Trainer -Reinsman--R.I.P.

A big influence on the Village Kid purchase.

Race 5 at Ballarat trots tonight was an exciting race - you could watch the last lap numerous times - and it was a $4 pop that made that exciting run - not a $1,50 

Ballarat ticks quite a few boxes - big spacious track - no sprint lane - only track in Vic without a sprint lane

I seem to recall that type of thing occurring at Bunbury before they put in that horrid sprint lane - horses - in the back straight just letting rip- but sadly since they put the sprint lane in that has dissappeared

Chariotsonfire likes this post.

• AbbysAceAbbysAce    565 posts
    Markovina said:

Race 5 at Ballarat trots tonight was an exciting race - you could watch the last lap numerous times - and it was a $4 pop that made that exciting run - not a $1,50 

Ballarat ticks quite a few boxes - big spacious track - no sprint lane - only track in Vic without a sprint lane

I seem to recall that type of thing occurring at Bunbury before they put in that horrid sprint lane - horses - in the back straight just letting rip- but sadly since they put the sprint lane in that has dissappeared
    Mildura hasnt got a sprint lane
    Didn't need one when a certain stable was dominating!!!!

Rarely was any horse cramped for space at Mildura.

Chariotsonfire, VillageKid likes this post.

Marko I just cannot fathom how a horse circling the field from the 6/700 mtr point is effected by a sprint lane at Ballarat or Bunbury.
    Can you please explain so I can understand your thinking here.
    Cheers.
    Saturday night - Mt Gambier in SA are on - its their cup night

I dont mind betting their - alot of the horses that race their - race at Terang and Hamilton etc - so you have got strong Vic form - and Vic Drivers - normally the Cravens and Lees are their . Fides a quality horse ran their 2 starts back and got beat - then went 1.56 at Bendigo over 2400 met - so they are decent horses

Very interesting runner in the 1st - a 7k race - drawn the pole - is Im Batman - with Phil Duggan listed as the driver . Probably following what Eric Chabros did with his horse - nearly won 100k in stakes in SA - and also SmackWater Jack - who fair dinkum couldnt get out of its way in WA - but under Claire Goble has won 35k and numerous races in SA 

Phil might be just having a short stint over their with his  horse and see how much he can win and quickly 
  • BetonmeBetonme    210 posts
    Well spotted Marko, looks like gets a fair leg up into that race. By far the best performed horse. 
    It certainly gets in well 

The 2 and 3 - have both only won 2k in stakemoney . ImBatman - has over 100k  with 12 wins and 26 placings - funny sort of handicapping system 

Im Batman should win easily - however all through its career its been a bit iffy - its raised the white flag of surrender now and again 
    edited January 2020
    With his latest 33 odd starts and only 1 win Im Batman has tumbled down the NR ratings to be rated a NR 31.
    Saturdays race is a RBD NR up to 51 and having drawn 1 is a further slice of luck. His HWOE is $57,703.00...which means week in and week out it has been almost impossible for him to beat the FFAll style horses he has been competing against....and that HWOE is never going to diminish. Therefore he is a handy horse handicapped out of WA racing ( where we have the luxury of 5 races with 8 horses or less racing for metro stakes tonight)
    Good thinking by Phil ....he can have a holiday....win a heap of races mostly by placing Batman in PBD NR races .....then either sell him ( he has been in races going 1.52 and 1.53 at GP the last couple of starts) or bring him back....run his NR down again and repeat the process. Perhaps a profitable opening for a couple of young turks to take a truckload of similar horses interstate and return cashed up. No good for field sizes here in WA ....but no-one seems to mind.
    Phil may actually been inspired by Jay Jays dilemma with Smackwater Jack and its subsequent success. While the two systems exist alongside each other this opportunity to exploit them is available if you don't mind the travel.

TrackBias, Betonme, Markovina likes this post.

Jack couldn't "get out of his own way" quote unquote over here with races run in 1.55 and better. His NR fell to 50 making him an attractive proposition in SA with PBD racing according to NR and claimers, and where they run over 1800m every week going about 2 minutes, home in 30 seconds...which he can do all day. And no doubt, Claire has done a marvelous job with him as she does with all her horses.

curmudgeon, cisco likes this post.

• BetonmeBetonme    210 posts
    Certainly given him longevity which he wasn't afforded in WA. 

curmudgeon, TrackBias likes this post.

edited January 2020
    If I am reading the current matrix correctly....at the extreme end of the possibilities....I'M BATMAN could win 10  $3K races in a row in SA and gain 2 points for each...thus only arriving at a NR of 51 .....one point above the equivalent national maiden class at the end of that winning sequence. 
    Beats trying to win in the class available to him in WA and going home with $100.00 less costs most starts.

TrackBias likes this post.

JayJay said:

Jack couldn't "get out of his own way" quote unquote over here with races run in 1.55 and better. His NR fell to 50 making him an attractive proposition in SA with PBD racing according to NR and claimers, and where they run over 1800m every week going about 2 minutes, home in 30 seconds...which he can do all day. And no doubt, Claire has done a marvelous job with him as she does with all her horses.

Wheres the 1.55 and better - thats just way incorrect

Its last 10 starts in WA  9th 7th 5th 6th 9th 7th 7th 10th 7th 8th 

The country runs 9th of 10 at Narrogin 2.00 rate but it got beaten 22 metres - so its gone about 2.03 . 7th at Northam in 2.0 but beaten 13 metres 

That form card - the actual facts - says the horse couldnt get out of its way 
    Interesting Stewards Report on Race 2 at GP Tuesday. Rarely see an owner lodge a complaint about a drive.

BARON JUJON – Stewards questioned Driver M. Brown in regards to the driving tactics adopted on the gelding during the early stages of the event and the reasons for her electing to move to a marker peg positon near the 1500 metres. M. Brown stated that when SAMMY STRIKES was caught outside the lead it appeared that horse was looking for cover and as a result she elected to move the position 4 back along the marker pegs as she was of the opinion she would be forced to restrain to the rear of the field if she continued to trail SAMMY STRIKES. M. Brown further added that near the 1200 metres when SAMMY STRIKES held the position outside the lead and UNIVERSAL MAJOR was able to obtain the position behind that runner she was then forced further back than she would have liked. M. Brown said that approaching the 400 metres when racing three wide on the track behind UNIVERSAL MAJOR that runner lost ground and as such she checked and lost ground before moving four wide near the 300 metres. Following the event Stewards heard a complaint from owner Mrs R. Henwood in regards to the driving tactics of Driver M. Brown. After hearing from Mrs R. Henwood, Stewards adjourned the inquiry to investigate any betting activity on the event and to also consider the evidence tendered by M. Brown. No time or date has been set for the inquiry