G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 31 Non Members

The Other Ascot Preview for 1/2/19 by TMP (still)

West Australian Racing
There have been so many amazing occurrences in the last week; directly expereinced by....me.
I will give you two examples of many. 
First in the TAB, just about to bet on a 'good thing' at the Coast trained by M. Costa when suddenly a horse bucks it's jockey. The jockey is hurt and they are working out what to do; so I say to an old codger (prob alot younger than me) that I know the animal that causes the most human deaths in Australia. We agree that the most likely culprits are snakes, sharks or spiders. But the answer is the horse by far!. Then they leg up the fallen jockey and start to load; so I run to the counter and, yes, I just missed and the horse won! I said to everyone that that is proof that horses cause the most damage.
Then today I buy zuccini, egg plant, peaches and mangoes and pay my $13-40. I look down and there are my goodies all in a plastic carry bag. When I reach home, I find chinese mushrooms, chinese leafy veg, garlic, tofu and fresh rice noodles! 
These are only two of the amazing incidents this week.

Now, on to the serious business re what is surprisingly to me a good card. There are so many good horses of high quality in WA>

R/1 Unfortunately this race is not one of them I believe. But I would love to see J. Pike win a race in town with the topweight. He's the Leylamd Brothers rolled into one. I admire him for his hard work and prizemoney earnings from everywhere.

R/2  These 2yo's look v even and I look more at the barriers than the exposed form.

R/3 I settled on Nos. 1 and 7 here.
The Big Show should be fitter and now is at the right distance; he has a v good record.
Mycroft (I like the horse not just that he has the same name as Sherlock Holmes' brother) is looking for this distance too; the stable is doing good things again.

R/4 I went for No. 1 and 2 here.
I thought the toppie would be the fave but not so!.
Weaponson has drawn 10 and might use up enough petrol to allow the toppie to beat him.
Snippy Miss has blinkers but has cost me a bit!
So has Guesteen down the bottom.

R/5 Here is the best race of the day. Belter would have been good for me last time but the fave was really just too too classy. The only new one Valour Road has to worry about is Cup Night. I will back both but think that even with 6 kg more the fave has proven top race performances.

R/6  Coming Around has been super this time in; a credit to his new trainers.
I saw a real favourite of mine here My Greek Boy; would rather have P Hall; but today B Kirby seemed to come alive again. This horse is v classy on his day.

R/7 I have to go with Inspirational Girl here; her finishes are.....inspirational.
Patrisitc is that horse that I watch win and shake my head again. The time was fast last time but the last sectional was not so brilliant; so I am hoping the fave can come over the top here.

R/8 New jockey for Plutocracy; but bad barrier again; v v hard to win travelling 3 and 4 wide the whole way. But the runs have lately been so v v good he has to go in.
If you forgive Maschino Miss her last run, she has a chance; price at only 7.5 is interesting; thought it would be 12 to 14.
State Attorney and Fairview have not drawn so well but both have undeniable chances.
Then there is Lipstick Flickers; fair to good past form; then a v good trial and now looks so short in price.

R/9 I looked and looked at this race when suddenly a light globe went on inside me.
I am really hoping Catherine Wheel has improved a little as her form last time was outstanding.
I notice she has tightended to 3''s and I have taken that in many all-ups.
To Rise Again is 11's and bears watching.
Rosebush is so far back in distance!
I will definitely put in Alcina; was a good strong run last time; not just a speedy squib.

I'll finish with a true but old story about an African safari. They were all watching behind a hill when suddenly a female hippo began to rush towards them. She was only after one man and aimed for him. Sadly the hippo had to be killed to save that man. Later one fellow comented that he knew why it happenned. The man the hippo went for was a Professor of Gynaecology; true story.

Wel, Good Luck and All the Best. We need it!.

Comments

• SKIDSSKIDS    1,006 posts
    Race 1 I like Phandieri, very unlucky her last 2 starts and can win this.

Race 4 I can't go past Guesteen, another who's been unlucky her last couple, will keep her perfect record at the 1100m.

Race 7 Bobby Rose at 25/1 gets a bit E/W from me (Dodger??)

Race 8 #8... always the 8 in race 8 ;)

Race 9 I like Shinju here.

Quaddie - 1, 2, 3, 4, 10 / 1, 4, 7, 8, 9 / 4, 5, 6, 8, 12 / 4, 7, 8, 9, 10 - $60 = 9.6%

SLIPPERGOLDEN likes this post.

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    It's okay Piker I know the results for 1/2/19   ;))

SKIDS likes this post.

• pikerpiker    404 posts
    I was close SG.
    Anyway I know what’s going to happen this year too: because I have 20/20 vision????

savethegame likes this post.

I spotted one in R/1 when checking out Phandieri's form.
    City Centre is from the B Pope stable that has been as unlucky as an electric eel at a gas BBQ. She has been 3 wide last 2 starts and not shirked her task. The City Place progeny are a funny lot but at a good price I just might have a tickle. The riding change is real good too.
    And.... Peggys Joy looks v promising too; the in form rider with the right barrier.
    edited January 2020
    Another big effort from Piker. Well played with a very good assist from the in form Skids. My five cents worth;

R1
    Diamond Trade a best bet
    R2 Em Tee Aye should be better for the first start experience
    R3 The Big Show from Crystal Valley ..... Quinella
    R4 Apache Pass from Comes A Time. Can back one and save on the other
    R6 Marabel is the roughie for the day and Star Glitter will be right in it
    R7 Hoodlum Thunder fresh with the light weight
    R8 Snow Blossom hasn't started since Greta Thunberg attended school. With plenty of pace on in this it should be running on strongly first up
    R9 Brockhoff is the each way bet of the day with Citichant and La Bionda huge improvers at odds

SG, you reckon Brockhoff will get the bikkies (will anyone undertand this one)?
  • JellJell    1,201 posts
    All over Go Crying tomorrow second up. Hopefully the Wolfe/Kirby combo can continue it’s success from Albany.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    I got it piker...it will go over heads like a giraffes fart...
    piker said:

Readers don't have to understand it and indeed can ignore my selections all together.

The horse has raced and run creditably against better than these. First start here can be ignored for obvious reasons if you watch the replay. The claim also assists.

Elsewhere Rosebush and Catherine Wheel look obvious choices
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Time to get amongst it...
    Race 3 - Risk and lay Harry Thomas in the third race - 6/4 ($2.50) my goodness that's short.
    Race 5 - Cup Night place ( pay 1,2 only ).
    Race 6 - Three prong attack against the fave - backing My Greek Boy - Speeding Comet - Skinnen Tins.

piker said:

Readers don't have to understand it and indeed can ignore my selections all together.

The horse has raced and run creditably against better than these. First start here can be ignored for obvious reasons if you watch the replay. The claim also assists.

Elsewhere Rosebush and Catherine Wheel look obvious choices
    SG, there was old brand of biscuits called Brokhoffs.
    It was just my attempt at humour.
    He has raced in better company in Victoria than this field.

thefalcon, SLIPPERGOLDEN likes this post.

edited February 2020
    Brockhoff by Lohnro out of Original Choice - and the Brockhoff brand was an original choice in biscuits, hence the name - Brockhoff.

TheDiva likes this post.

• SectionalmanSectionalman    3 posts
    My Best
    Race of the day
    Race 8
    State Attorney
    Fairview

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    your best race of the day?

whatever you are suggesting I think State Attorney is one of the best bets on the card
    form behind Flower Of War who is flying at present
    enough pace in the race today unlike last start where the leader got it easy up front
    Pike should be able to slot in midfield and work his magic late

piker said:

piker said:

SG, there was old brand of biscuits called Brokhoffs.
    It was just my attempt at humour.

Sorry Piker I didn't understand the biscuit reference. Excuse my ignorance I didn't recognise the biscuit brand.despite probably eating every type of biscuit on the planet ..Crumbs. Now I appreciate the humour
  • Dodgey94Dodgey94    125 posts
    Hey guys I prefer our two year old today he’s a very nice horse if he had drawn a barrier I would have almost declared him. He will mature into a really nice horse. Bossy rose is drawn to get the run of the race should box seat but a stronger field.
    edited February 2020
    The Big Show well thrown out by piker and slip above and can't go far wrong with The Big Show from Crystal Valley quinella by slip.

The knock on the fave Harry Thomas...SP was $2.40, goodness gracious taking $2.40 Harry Thomas, there'd be no braver person, last two or three runs had a perfect run and battled away at best.
    Pikey just too good on Coming Around, Greek Boy - good, Speeding Comet - good, Skinnen Tins - from the wide draw - very good. All credit to the winner.

Earlier winner Cup Night what a good horse he is. Perfectly trained, the horse is that consistent - good enough to win in the right company anywhere in Australia.
  • RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    Why would McGruddy on Spirit And Fire move 3 wide to let Pike out on Coming Around? It looks so crook.
    edited February 2020
    Thought to myself - close the run on that bugger! Give him an inch and he'll take a mile.
    edited February 2020
    Pike has a very easy day at Bunbury - rides back in the field, patiently awaits the cutaway rail and if the horse is good enough runs 1, 2, 3 ...it's like he's saying... it's not rocket science!

Can you imagine a permanent cutaway at Ascot ? The other hoops would be heading out via the old leger car park and Pikey would be steering a path from barrier 16 down to the rail, save six lengths, then await the cut away.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    was very impressed with cup night...could be a ripper!!
    no bet yet but am going to have a few bucks on One Short in the 8th.
    will be down the pub for the last.....that one way down the bottom..orange strudel has a silly chance, the jock is a bit of a worry...
    edited February 2020
    ...and he does it again, that run 30 - 40 years ago when was a kid leaning against the fence in the old ledger would've been closed off not once - not twice - but thrice!

In saying that the bloke is fearless, just wish he rode back then, would've been a sight to see. He's amazing.
    edited February 2020
    Should've had a reasonable day Piker - you either had most winners on top or gave them a very favourable mention.

Punters skool - anybody who backed Harry Thomas at 6/4 and anyone who backed Cup Night a place and had nothing on the win - me.

Highlight of the day - Cup Night wouldn't be out of place up the straight at Flemington, classy and consistent horse.
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Guesteen was an absolute moral on last start and starts 5.5? Good times

Good day for me ROTS; lots of positive thoughts for the trainer of the last race too.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Oh what could have been in Valour road saluted

5 leg multi of Guesteen/Valour Road/Coming Around/Inspirational Girl/ Catherine Wheel at 89-1

But I no complain

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• Stiff Bomber
    Good day for ya Bomber, unlucky on multi especially considering Cup Night was the only horse who could beat Valour Road. Cup Night at $1.80 a place tote was bloody good.

Couldn't see Inspirational Girl winning near the corner despite Pike hugging the fence, thought not quite going well enough and one of those hoops will close the run, nope wrong on both counts.

His ride on Coming Around well he surprisingly found tank sized room to get that through too. Horse good enough to take advantage.