In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 38 Non Members

AFL 2020

Sport

Comments

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    detonator said:

A birdie told me that JK signed up for one more year half way through last season.
    Towards the end of last season he said he would not have signed back then if he felt the way he did at the end of last season.
    I reckon they will manage him throughout the year and give Oscar Allen more time in the goal square along side Jack.

I think Allen is too versatile to be up forward full time. Maybe Branders spot..Or Vardy, as he struggles to get into the ruck these days.
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    RIO said:

detonator said:

A birdie told me that JK signed up for one more year half way through last season.
    Towards the end of last season he said he would not have signed back then if he felt the way he did at the end of last season.
    I reckon they will manage him throughout the year and give Oscar Allen more time in the goal square along side Jack.

I think Allen is too versatile to be up forward full time. Maybe Branders spot..Or Vardy, as he struggles to get into the ruck these days.

Allen is versatile which is a nice string to his bow.

Genuine full forwards are hard to come by and I believe Allen is the obvious replacement for JK.

His development seems to reflect a move to be JK`s replacement.

When JK gets managed this year I am betting that it will be Oscar in the goals square but time will tell.

I read that Brander has been trialling on a wing ?? Interesting if true. He was recruited as a swingman so wouldn`t rule anything out.

Not sure about where Vardy is at. Reckon he will play more WAFL than league. At least he has his 2018 medal and memories. Bit like Stuart Dew in his last game for Hawthorn. Right time right place.

• oldhendooldhendo    763 posts
    I-) (:|

detonator likes this post.

Any news out of the Holden centre Oldhendo ???
    Has Bucks cracked a smile yet ???
    Has Jaidyn Stephenson landed any quaddies recently ??
    Has Beams paid off his gambling debts yet ???
    Is Adam Treloar's engagement to a woman real ??
    Is it true that Maynard plans to wear one of those protective jockey vests next time he comes up against "flying Ryan"

=)) :D :P

RIO, spinking, Manchild likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    oldhendo said:

I-) (:|

that's not Very Dardy @oldhendo
    ;) :)) :))
  • oldhendooldhendo    763 posts
    Yeah Dardy.

$-)

RIO likes this post.

• ManchildManchild    679 posts
    Is de Goey gunna be fit?
  • spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    Josh Kennedy must be talking Sh.. eh. His longest pre season in three years and he reckons he is flying . Can not understand how he has done a full pre season . Any veteran will tell you that is the hardest part of the season and the part they hate the most. But yet according to some he is sore
    Most AFL players tell you that getting a full pre season under their belt is the secret to playing well during the year. So on that front a big tick to Josh.
    My mail is that the footage we saw on tv re JK and Schofield going full bore at one another was for them to show the incumbents and young blokes that is the sort of intensity you need to bring to break in to the team and be successful.
    I am liking what i am seeing out of Mineral Resources Park. =D>
    Down at Cockburn however ???
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    spinking said:

Josh Kennedy must be talking Sh.. eh. His longest pre season in three years and he reckons he is flying . Can not understand how he has done a full pre season . Any veteran will tell you that is the hardest part of the season and the part they hate the most. But yet according to some he is sore

You really are living up to your name Spinner. He has to put spin on it to make it sound so good for the young fellas. Cant wait for the season to start...And after one round for the AFLW to finish

Any young fella in that team Rio would be putting their best into preseason one would think anyway. For the majority of them it is the start of a long journey to get on a list, so I don't think they would need much of a example from anyone as to how to go about preseason training, and the ones that do would have that told to them that they have to lift their input.You yourself said how they will manage JK throughout the year if that was the case do you think they would have him starting preseason with everyone else. Or maybe he has done the full work so far because he had no surgeries at the end of last year. I just don't reckon a bloke who is sore and one of his teams focal points would have done the whole preseason if he was sore
  • SKIDSSKIDS    1,006 posts
    Manchild said:

Is de Goey gunna be fit?

Just completed the 2k time trial, was quicker than his time last year, he'll be cherry ripe for round 1.

The silky smooth Pendles is looking sensational and primed for another big season. Nobody can deny the silky skills of our champion captain. (Well, maybe detenator will try another corny crack at comedy, but that's to be expected, small things amuse small minds ;) )

Going into season 2020:
    Has:
    Played 301 Games.
    Premiership Player: 2010
    Norm Smith Medal: 2010
    6× All-Australian Team: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2019
    3× AFL ANZAC Day Medal: 2010, 2011, 2019 (Tied record)
    5× Copeland Trophy: 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
    Most Brownlow votes from a Collingwood player
    Top ten for total Brownlow votes. (He's 9th).
    Collingwood Captain 2014–Current

Needs:
    5 games to pass S. Coventry (153) for second place for most games as club captain.

6 games on the MCG to have the most games played at the venue.

6 games to pass G. Coventry (306) for second place at the club.

12 games to pass Buckley (161) for most games as club captain.

13 games to pass T. Shaw (313) for the club record.

8 more Brownlow votes to pass Leigh Matthews as the highest total vote winner without winning the medal.*
    *(Depending on Joel Selwood votes)

16 more Brownlow votes to enter the top 5 for total votes.**
    **(Depending on Joel Selwood and Dangerfield votes)

oldhendo likes this post.

We agree on Pendles, Skidmark.
    Champion player champion bloke.
    Great stats too by you. (surprisingly)
    But you missed out the most important stat of all. His WAG would be in the best top 10 WAGs of all time to grace the Brownlow red carpet. :x

SKIDS likes this post.

edited February 2020

Beams will announce his retirement this week.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Pendles ...courtesy of chumpion data

Receives handball...dink right....dink left ....handball 4m to teammate under pressure.
    Receives handball....dink left...fake handball...dink left again...dink right ....kick 29m at 45 degrees
    Intercepts handball....dink right...360 degree turn...dink left....misses goal 25m out straight in front
    Cruise past scrimmage ....receives handball ....kick 47m down line....out on full

Return to top and repeat for 3 quarters then sit on bench with injured hand.
    I reckon the fire has gone out (excuse the pun) on the bush fire charity match.
    The emotion has simmered and the players are in preservation mode.
    It will be an exhibition match at best.
    AFL too slow to put something forward.

RIO, Gilgamesh likes this post.

SKIDS said:

detonator said:

Beams will announce his retirement this week.

Bit slow are Fox ....

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-dayne-beams-collingwood-contract-settlement-car-crash-trade/news-story/b9d79adc911377b8904bae032fbd0bf8

• ManchildManchild    679 posts
    Change to Flood charity match

RIO, oldhendo, TheDiva likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited February 2020
    @SKIDS Dont think the mid week rollover is helpign the situation.......Needs to be gone so that both him and Colliwobbles can move on...Bit like the Jesse Hogan situation...

Both Talented footballers, but cant allow them to distract either club from what they want to achieve...Willie Rioli could very well be in the same situation.

oldhendo likes this post.

Dani Shuey shows a bit as a boundary rider.
    Lot more pleasurable to listen to as opposed to "mumbles" Pavlich. :D
    NSA seeing as you seem to know , could you ask JK if he is still sore. I only ask because every time I pick up a paper or watch tv all you see or hear about is how JK is one of the standouts at preseason . Just where is he sore again?
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Luv your enthusiasm spinner, but here it is from the man himself..

But the 32-year-old is keen to temper expectations.

"I know there has been a crew who have reported that I said I am flying. I am definitely not flying," Kennedy said.

"And
    (they) have said that it's the best pre-season I have had. It's
    definitely not the best pre-season I have had because I am 32 years old.

"I
    am at that stage where it's just been nice to do all the training -
    being out there with the boys instead of sitting up in the cardio room
    looking out the window.

"I am still at the back of every pack when we do running, so I am not as fit as I used to be."

spinking likes this post.

Dockers record huge loss financial loss last season under RTB's watch.
    Be interesting to see how they will turn it around. Not sure they will be able to sell $600 season memberships when you can walk up and pick your seat on the day.
    Rick Hart on radio this morning said they should be in a position to challenge in 3 to 4 years. Patience required.
    I am suggesting Freo cannot afford for "brand Fyfe " to go down otherwise the balance sheet will continue to be in red ink. [-X
    You have just reinterated my point Rio . Were you going better ten years ago than you are now. Just been nice to do all the training instead of sitting up in the cardio room watching the boys . Out the back of every pack when we do running. Not as fit as I used to be . All exactly right but not the words of a senior player Who is supposedly sore who has done all the preseason. If he was sore would he still be doing all the pre season?
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    spinking said:

You have just reinterated my point Rio . Were you going better ten years ago than you are now. Just been nice to do all the training instead of sitting up in the cardio room watching the boys . Out the back of every pack when we do running. Not as fit as I used to be . All exactly right but not the words of a senior player Who is supposedly sore who has done all the preseason. If he was sore would he still be doing all the pre season?

If he wanted a game yes......As others have stated, if he gets 12-15 games this year it'd be a bonus. The Waste Australian an Channel 7 (are they separate entities anymore??) both inferred that he was flying..He isn't, hes struggling through..he wont play a full season.....and he wont have a major impact on a lot of games...

But as with all champions, he will take the best defender every week, he will make room for the small forwards and he'll do what he has always done well....Put forward half pressure into the game..

We're all on the same page and all think its good he's going around.. He just wont have the intensity that we saw in that news report regularly..
    Oscar Allen will pick up the slack when JK is managed.
    Hope JK hasn't gone on one year too long. One of his underrated stats was his ability to be a workhorse and to apply tackling pressure. To me he looks and sounds like an "old" 32 year old.
    Hope he proves me wrong.

RIO likes this post.

edited February 2020
    State of Origin 1984 WA v Vic, on fox footy now.
    Worth watching! It's Abletts 15th game and the WA commentators are calling him Geoff ))

RIO likes this post.

Rio can you ask Nevershow just were JK is sore again . Your ageing focal point up front doesn't play the first preseason game if he is sore let alone kick six
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    How bout them bombers ay.

Premiership favorites now no doubt 8-|
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    spinking said:

Rio can you ask Nevershow just were JK is sore again . Your ageing focal point up front doesn't play the first preseason game if he is sore let alone kick six

Just about everyone in JK's position is sore before, during and after the game.

He ran around well last night, and will have games that he does a lot more work than that and gets a lot more opportunities......

I'm still really really confident that he is sore and is in for a great final season, irrespective of how may games he plays and how many goals he kicks.

The soreness, slow recovery and tiredness comes from 16 years of playing elite football. If it didn't he and every other AFL footballer would keep going into their 50's!!!!

But keep chipping away on your pet subject.Makes no difference to me. 12-15 games and 30 goals will be a great return for him this season. Anything more or less really doesn't matter, as he has well and truly earned one more season.

detonator likes this post.