G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 2 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Query...did the Sunday Times carry any coverage of the Miracle Mile?. My country edition (heavens knows why I continue to subscribe) is printed early before being put on the Pony express south, and no mention of it. A million dollar group 1 in harness whereas if one of Bob's has a dump, it cops a headline. Someone get Kerry Stokes into a pacer quick and lively, the bias against harness is profound.

VillageKid likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    JayJay said:

Query...did the Sunday Times carry any coverage of the Miracle Mile?. My country edition (heavens knows why I continue to subscribe) is printed early before being put on the Pony express south, and no mention of it. A million dollar group 1 in harness whereas if one of Bob's has a dump, it cops a headline. Someone get Kerry Stokes into a pacer quick and lively, the bias against harness is profound.

Shock horror there was a little wrap up of WA owned King Of Swing winning the $1million Miracle Mile in Ernie's little ST pacing piece JJ. 
    No doubt bobs horses get way too much over the top coverage in that fish and chip wrapper but the even more disturbing thing from my point of view is about the over the top coverage of ES gallops stories in comparison every bloody day, does anyone in WA seriously give a continental about ES racing outside of the spring/autumn carnival big races?

JayJay, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Disappointed that Albany season is over from a punting perspective:

Observations of the season:

• My winning strike on selections was 50%
    • Form is very consistent with only a few winning chances in most races
    • The same non competitive horses start dropping off from the 600m at every meeting.
    • Form reversals are virtually non existent
    • Powerful visiting stables tend to dominate
    • Sprint lane virtually non existent - must be made of quicksand

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited March 2020
    VK admit don't follow them anywhere like use to, but that'd be the very first time since about the age of seven - didn't even know the Miracle Mile was on.

Was a time rated the race as one of the most to look forward to, they just ran six for awhile in it at Harold Park but it was six of the best invited to run.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Tragically little coverage media wise Riders, it was a serious, serious field this year and deserved far more coverage than was afforded it. Might have been different in NSW but almost ignored over here considering the winner (and favourite) was WA owned and Alta Orlando bred by WA interests as well as My Field Marshall having won a group 1 in Perth. Press far more interested in bog roll fights in Woolies.

Funnily enough the more over the top 7/West media coverage there is on stuff like the afl, big bash, gallops etc the less interest I then have on those sports.
    I much prefer the WA local niche sports comps WAFL, WA Cricket, WA Trots etc that get next to no coverage by our own so called local media who must be so out of touch with their own customers that they truly believe their viewers, readers prefer ES content rubbish over our very own!

maybeso, curmudgeon likes this post.

• tonytony    2,361 posts
    VK I think you are in the minority there. Everyone I know much prefers AFL to WAFL thoroughbred eastern state massively over WA trots.
    I do not particularly like the West but their emphasis is based on what the majority wants.
    Look at the TV ratings for AFL vs WAFL as an example.
    edited March 2020
    Tony good for you and I know very well I am in the minority and am very content to stay there too and not follow the herd like a flock of sheep lead by what the moronic 7/West media cover to their lowest common denominator audience!

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    I get the West Australian a few times a week - Sat allways delivered - and with Sat edition i like to sit down mid afternoon out in the garden with a coffee and read it - however there is very little in it - John Hughes car adds - rubbish liftouts gallore  - and in about an hours time - its in my yellow lid recycling bin 

Agree with VK - far too much E/S Racing - eg Gary Portelli had something trial at Warwick Farm - who cares -and Frid week ago - the 2 100k 2 year old features - and not a thing from Ernie Manning re the winners 

Stokes West Australian doesnt hold a candle to the Fairfax Sydney Morning Herald - about the only decent paper left - very few adds - no junk liftouts - and really stimulating feature articles and world news - it would take you about 5-6 hours to read Saturdays edition it is that good
  • aussiebattleraussiebattler    277 posts

Disappointed that Albany season is over from a punting perspective:

Observations of the season:

• My winning strike on selections was 50%
    • Form is very consistent with only a few winning chances in most races
    • The same non competitive horses start dropping off from the 600m at every meeting.
    • Form reversals are virtually non existent
    • Powerful visiting stables tend to dominate
    • Sprint lane virtually non existent - must be made of quicksand
    Big year for the visiting stables took home most of the win prize $ 
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Markovina said:

Interesting what they are doing at Mt Gambier trots tonight ( and apparently several greyhound meetings they have done it - and i know the basketball they do it ) and that is have a caller - calling them from a Sydney studio - eg Mark Macnamara calling Mt Gambie 

Reckon Mark McNamara one of the best  harness callers, has lobbed a plum job for callers -with his appointment as hong. kong jockey club no1 caller in conjuction with tom wood.

curmudgeon likes this post.

edited March 2020
    Not rapt about it, but a bloke calling the dish lickers from the studio - if betting you can see the coloured rugs . It's pretty straight forward to watch.

However trots called from the studio - no, no, no. Should never happen - not a good path to go down.
    Lazy at best - no doubt a cost saving exercise. At worst bad mistakes will be made.

Don't agree with it one iota - no matter how good the caller. Devalues the product.

Each to there own - can't stand it, it's wrong. Totally unprofessional. End it.
    edited March 2020
    Would like to know what packed metal panda thinks about that - goodness gracious me - you blokes great trotting people - you should be pulling down the grandstand in rage!

Trots from Mt Gambier being called from a studio in NSW strike me pink, this will happen more often in time - starts at Mt Gambier where does it all end ?

The on/off course commentator is sacrosanct - leave him where he belongs - on track!
    Emma Stewart - she is a top trainer and has had great success and good luck to her 

At Horsham today - youve got 4 races ( low class races) - invitational races for drivers all over Aust - pitting their skills against each other - Chris Voak is their - Nathan Dawson a very astute driver from Qld is their and Mark Yole from Tassie is their 

So what does Emma do - or should i say Hungry Emma do - brings 4 of her hot pots for those 4 races -  1.04 - 2 of them at $1.08 and 1 at $1.20 - so it mucks it up - whoever draws her horse wins the race  

And of course they are penalty exempt races - i mean how keen for a quid can you be- she would be perfectly suited over here in WA- i mean at Albany and Naroggin where there are currently crumbs of crumbs left - there would be 100% of nothing left 

I will give a shout out to 2 junior drivers who i think will both go to the top of the tree - and if you back their drives you will win  plenty - they are both very talented drivers - and they tick every box - they are natural lightweights - they look like 8-9 stone tops . Ive said it a million times - you dont want that bulk and dead weight in the sulky  the less weight the  better 

James Herbertson from Vic - finished 2nd in the NSW Oaks recently - and the majority of his drives are 1st class - and his winning drive in the last at Horsham today is one of the best winning drives ive ever seen - not many drivers could have done what he did - and if he was 3-4 stone heavier the horse would not have won 

And the other one  is the young girl down in Tassie - Hannah Van Dongen - got a double yesterday at Hobart yesterday - very good driver and extremely light - well balanced in the cart - back her drives and you will get a great run for your money

Ridersonthestorm33, Gilgamesh likes this post.

How about the Trotter's race at Pinjarra the $1.18 fave Mr Sundon couldn't have had it any easier and Rock Tonight at 25/1 for Morgan Woodley went straight past it effortlessly and won like he was Knight Pistol in its heyday.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    edited March 2020
    Kristian Hawkins has enough of racing or just doing a clean out of gear?
  • MoonrakerMoonraker    99 posts
    Gilgamesh said:

Believe it or not - he has taken up the position of cadet steward at the trots

Gilgamesh likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    Moonraker said:

Gilgamesh said:

I expect a lot of QDT besides horses names where the driver hasn't put the horse into the race then!

Good on him, hope it works out for him. A loss to the training ranks and a loss to the entertainment factor for a non invested spectator.

Constantlybroke, Betonme likes this post.

Moonraker said:

Gilgamesh said:

You cant blame him - i would suggest it is too hard to make a living - and much better and easier being a steward - regular pay packet 

There are a stack of them over east who were once trainers who have  remained in the game in some capacity 

Graeme Morgan was the mobile barrier driver for years in Vic - previously had some nice horses as a trainer - Truant Armagh a top class pacer comes to mind 

Stephen Shinn who once trained and drove the mighty Pure Steel for a short period - is currently the chairman of stewards for Tasmanian Harness Racing - i dont mind reading his stewards reports either - they are very detailed and thorough 
    Im Batman - the bookies love it - and astute punters love it - because you just bet around  it- and get inflated odds 

Albion Park today $2.20 fave from gate 2 - sits behind the leader and runs a terrible last 

Or should i say a terrible and tired last - that poor horse needs a break - it is exhausted - and racing accordingly 
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
     Difficult thing to do...transition roles overnight in your home state environment.
  • ToepuntitToepuntit    241 posts
    The only problem I have in this state with standing start racing is that it is only a standing start for some runners, IMO if you are trotting or pacing before the strands release you should be deemed to have jumped the start, or just call them walk up starts.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

• ToepuntitToepuntit    241 posts
    Or is my thinking totally wrong??
    A few drivers are masters of it
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Ben, Britt & Cass.....bubbly, informed & very enjoyable ITG tonight. The two ladies are great value and a real up front positive for the industry,
  • MrSmartArseMrSmartArse    17 posts
    What has happened with G.Hall Jnr no racing for a couple of weeks and his dad very few runners. 
  • 2lifetimewinners2lifetimewinners    508 posts

What has happened with G.Hall Jnr no racing for a couple of weeks and his dad very few runners. 

3 weeks suspension will do that to you.
  • MrSmartArseMrSmartArse    17 posts
    ok missed that 3 weeks for what and when.So is that why he didnt drive King of Swing in miracle mile.

• 2lifetimewinners2lifetimewinners    508 posts
    For his drive on Sir Galahad in early Feb. It wasnt the reason he didnt drive KOS as he had a 9 day deferment to allow him to drive that night if needed.
  • aussiebattleraussiebattler    277 posts
    edited March 2020

For his drive on Sir Galahad in early Feb. It wasnt the reason he didnt drive KOS as he had a 9 day deferment to allow him to drive that night if needed.

SUPPLEMENTARY REPORT

Gloucester Park 7 February 2020

On Thursday 27th February 2020, Stewards concluded an inquiry into the driving tactics adopted on SIR GALAHAD NZ by Driver G. Hall Jnr at Gloucester Park on Friday 7th February 2020. After taking evidence from Driver G. Hall Jnr, Trainer G. Hall Snr, reviewing previous lead times recorded and also previous starts of SIR GALAHAD NZ, Stewards found G. Hall Jnr guilty of charge under Rule 149(2) which reads;

A driver shall not drive in  a manner which in the opinion of the Stewards is unacceptable.

The particulars being that as the driver of SIR GALAHAD NZ, G. Hall Jnr drove the gelding forward at the start and challenged IM BETA THAN GOUDA for the lead from the winning post on the first occasion until approaching the back straight on the first occasion where G. Hall Jnr corrected SIR GALAHAD NZ which hung in. G. Hall Jnr then again challenged IM BETA THAN  GOUDA for the entire back straight before taking hold of SIR GALAHAD NZ near the 2000 metres. The lead time recorded was 1.03.8 which Stewards are of the opinion that SIR GALAHAD NZ was responsible for 400 metres of that lead time. In the opinion of the Stewards these tactics were not within the capabilities of SIR GALAHAD NZ and as a result were unacceptable.

G. Hall Jnr's licence to drive in races was suspended for a period of 3 weeks. In assessing penalty, Stewards took into account G. Hall Jnr's record which showed he has driven in approximately 13,550 races and occurred 1 suspension under this rule, his plea, feature races that are upcoming and also the overall circumstances of the race. G. Hall Jnr was advised of his appeal rights.