In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 36 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    edited March 2020
    Yonkers harness racing was called off today after one of the employees who worked in the racing office  tested positive for Coronavirus, Sadly he passed away. Apparently he worked there just 8 days prior. We may end up seeing EI level restrictions if the virus gets out of control here.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    I read in todays West Australian some leading American gallops trainer - charged with systematically giving all his horses performancing enhancing drugs 

It reminded  me of the late Russell Roberts ( who i quite liked ) owner of the great Pure Steel . When Rhetts Law won the Inder Dom final  in Perth in the early 80s - which Roberts owned - he took that horse over to America to compete . When he returned to Aust i can remember a journalist asked him - how did you get on over their . And i can remember Russell saying - look i had no hope because they ( USA Pacers ) were all on the juice over their - i can remember laughing when he said that 

So nothing much has changed in the USA 
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    With all due respect to Russell and to the horse, taking Rhetts Law to that ill fated "World Cup" Series (along with San Simeon) at the Meadowlands, would be like taking me to the Stawell Gift......and that is taking nothing away from an Interdominion winner that beat Popular Alm but good old honest Rhett's was not in the same room as Beatcha, Genghis Khan, JD's Buck and the like......juice or no juice.

curmudgeon, VillageKid likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    By comparison with US harness racing and its relatively controlled therapeutic drug protocols US thoroughbred racing has always been a rogue elephant in the room. 
    The Im Batman roadshow rolls on to Albion Park on Friday- and the bookies should be arrested for Grand Larceny

After being beaten at $1.12 at Redcliffe - then ran last as $2 fave last start - Tabtouch have put up $1.55 thank you very much - most of the others are 1960s Milk delivery horses 

Ive had something on the 10 horse at the $15 - got a very modest  record but Im Batman is screaming for the paddock 

Big early tip the 13 horse - race 6 at Shep - ive backed it - but its halved its price allready - the champ Alford takes over from Kima who got in a tangled blooody mess in a NSW Oaks heat

Gilgamesh likes this post.

• Ivorytrunkey86Ivorytrunkey86    204 posts
    Hypothetical question,if racing closes till end of May start of June like the football has how many trainers and drivers would be in the hurt locker financially not to mention stable hands and race day workers.
  • PackedMetalPandaPackedMetalPanda    166 posts

Hypothetical question,if racing closes till end of May start of June like the football has how many trainers and drivers would be in the hurt locker financially not to mention stable hands and race day workers.

I would say everyone bar 1% of people who are well off.
  • BetonmeBetonme    209 posts
    Add in owners paying up for horses not racing.....
  • Ivorytrunkey86Ivorytrunkey86    204 posts
    edited March 2020
    Glad to hear you will be fine panda haha

Markovina, VillageKid likes this post.

A woman scorned hey - add that to the long list of how you can lose betting on the Red Hots - well i didnt actually lose - i backed the horse e/w and it ran 3rd - but i think if it hadnt been for one scorned woman - i would have won

Race 7 at Cobram - i liked Major Wish i -took the 40s fixed - it was 60s on the tote - got the lead - but then along came the ex partner of D Morans - being L Crossland - middle 2 qtrs 28.3 and 29.2 - so much so that Moran had to the pull the plugs and hit it with the stick - a lap an a qtr from home -( they must have looked at each other 47 times when they had their dual) to keep the bitter ex out - but Laura yeah  good on Laura said up yours mate - only trouble Laura is you got beaten 92.6 metres . Major Wish on the other hand ran a terriffic 3rd  - just got swallowed up in the shadows of the post 

It will be a very interesting steward  report 

curmudgeon, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• 2lifetimewinners2lifetimewinners    508 posts
    Markovina said:

A woman scorned hey - add that to the long list of how you can lose betting on the Red Hots - well i didnt actually lose - i backed the horse e/w and it ran 3rd - but i think if it hadnt been for one scorned woman - i would have won

Race 7 at Cobram - i liked Major Wish i -took the 40s fixed - it was 60s on the tote - got the lead - but then along came the ex partner of D Morans - being L Crossland - middle 2 qtrs 28.3 and 29.2 - so much so that Moran had to the pull the plugs and hit it with the stick - a lap an a qtr from home -( they must have looked at each other 47 times when they had their dual) to keep the bitter ex out - but Laura yeah  good on Laura said up yours mate - only trouble Laura is you got beaten 92.6 metres . Major Wish on the other hand ran a terriffic 3rd  - just got swallowed up in the shadows of the post 

It will be a very interesting steward  report 
    6 Weeks or the stewards dont care over there anymore
  • squid69squid69    1,434 posts

David Moran (Major Wish) was queried in relation to whether he gave consideration to surrendering the lead when challenged strongly by Iamthefirecracker with 1300m to travel. Mr Moran stated that he had intimate knowledge of the capability of Iamthefirecracker and in his opinion, he was not satisfied to hand up to that runner. Mr Moran further stated that he had an awareness that Iamthefirecracker had made an error during the initial stages when galloping soon after the start and therefore had worked three wide before issuing the challenge. After considering the statements of the driver and the circumstances stewards did not feel the decision of Mr Moran to hold the lead was unreasonable and therefore noted his comments.

David Moran (Major Wish) was fined $100 under AR156(3) for continuously using his whip leaving the 1300m when challenged by Iamthefirecracker without allowing his own drive sufficient time to respond.

Iamthefirecracker, which tired to be beaten 92m, underwent a post-race veterinary examination, which revealed minor swelling to a hind leg however this was deemed to be of nil significance and no other apparent abnormalities were detected.

Stewards opened an inquiry into the driving tactics adopted by Laura Crossland (Iamthefirecracker) after that gelding lost ground during the initial stages and then trailed three wide forward before ultimately unsuccessfully challenging for the lead leaving the 1200m. After taking initial evidence from Ms Crossland, the inquiry was adjourned until a time and date to be fixed.

Stewards questioned both Laura Crossland (Iamthefirecracker) and David Moran (Major Wish) in relation to a verbal exchange leaving the winning post on the final occasion. After taking initial evidence this inquiry will be concluded at a time and date to be fixed.

Would love to be a fly on the wall at that inquiry...

• loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    squid69 said:

David Moran (Major Wish) was queried in relation to whether he gave consideration to surrendering the lead when challenged strongly by Iamthefirecracker with 1300m to travel. Mr Moran stated that he had intimate knowledge of the capability of Iamthefirecracker and in his opinion, he was not satisfied to hand up to that runner. Mr Moran further stated that he had an awareness that Iamthefirecracker had made an error during the initial stages when galloping soon after the start and therefore had worked three wide before issuing the challenge. After considering the statements of the driver and the circumstances stewards did not feel the decision of Mr Moran to hold the lead was unreasonable and therefore noted his comments.

David Moran (Major Wish) was fined $100 under AR156(3) for continuously using his whip leaving the 1300m when challenged by Iamthefirecracker without allowing his own drive sufficient time to respond.

Iamthefirecracker, which tired to be beaten 92m, underwent a post-race veterinary examination, which revealed minor swelling to a hind leg however this was deemed to be of nil significance and no other apparent abnormalities were detected.

Stewards opened an inquiry into the driving tactics adopted by Laura Crossland (Iamthefirecracker) after that gelding lost ground during the initial stages and then trailed three wide forward before ultimately unsuccessfully challenging for the lead leaving the 1200m. After taking initial evidence from Ms Crossland, the inquiry was adjourned until a time and date to be fixed.

Stewards questioned both Laura Crossland (Iamthefirecracker) and David Moran (Major Wish) in relation to a verbal exchange leaving the winning post on the final occasion. After taking initial evidence this inquiry will be concluded at a time and date to be fixed.

Would love to be a fly on the wall at that inquiry...

Can someone keep updating on this, looks like a fun enquiry coming up.

Speaking of Inquiries I believe Lang Inwood has one coming up.
  • squid69squid69    1,434 posts
    I’ve got to give some kudos to a very good Great Southern driver in Shane Butterworth. His drive on Alta Camino in the first at Collie today was outstanding. 
    He knew that the horse he was driving had the ability over his rivals, but was having trouble getting around the tight Collie bends.
    He nursed the horse around the bends, especially the home turn the final time when the leader kicked back and joined him. He didn’t panic, got around the turn safely even though he lost a little ground, then balanced the horse and kicked away for the victory.
    A real display of horsemanship from an underrated driver.
    Good call...and to the trainer Brendan Gardiner, rock solid  reliable fella who is Secretary of the Bridgetown Trotting Club.

squid69, savethegame, VillageKid likes this post.

Some younger drivers going around in the country would be well advised to do their homework as diligently as Shane Butterworth...no matter what the race.

squid69, VillageKid likes this post.

• aussiebattleraussiebattler    277 posts
    squid69 said:

I’ve got to give some kudos to a very good Great Southern driver in Shane Butterworth. His drive on Alta Camino in the first at Collie today was outstanding. 

He knew that the horse he was driving had the ability over his rivals, but was having trouble getting around the tight Collie bends.
    He nursed the horse around the bends, especially the home turn the final time when the leader kicked back and joined him. He didn’t panic, got around the turn safely even though he lost a little ground, then balanced the horse and kicked away for the victory.
    A real display of horsemanship from an underrated driver.
    I have always rated him very highly one of the few that have good hands and the patience to drive younger horses driven many winners for our stable over the years 

savethegame, curmudgeon, VillageKid likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Top class bloke as well,  can't remember for how long,but sure he worked for A.Mitchell at byford when he trained a fair size team,be 40 years ago..Never gets flustered in the bike, lets it all unfold in front of him.

VillageKid likes this post.

• loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    JayJay said:

Good call...and to the trainer Brendan Gardiner, rock solid  reliable fella who is Secretary of the Bridgetown Trotting Club.

I think was mentioned when racing somewhere, maybe Albany, that was in racing in the famous Heron Bridge colours, so related to the family I am sure.

JayJay, VillageKid likes this post.

Check out the photo finish of the mares race at Pinjarra today...you hear about blanket finishes.

VillageKid likes this post.

Taken out by the canny Bernard James trained Parisienne Partygirl. She deserved a decent race and would have put a smile on former Kalgoorlie boy Bernie's dial today.

Fair steer from KJH, superb.

VillageKid, curmudgeon likes this post.

JayJay said:

Fair steer from KJH, superb.

Made a critical and ultimately correct call to ease wider coming to the lane....plus ....for a mare that is inclined to knock off when she feels like it...Kyle annoyed her into keeping on keeping on. Very good drive ...very good.

Just looking at the fields at Bunbury - and ive broken the golden rule and had a couple of bets their

But their  is a couple of nice races - both 30k races - the Narrogin Country WA Derby and the Narrogin Pacing Cup - and they are both being held at Bunbury - and i was just wondering why

Maybe its thats virus thing - and they dont want an influx of people into their town - which would be understandable - but disappointing for their club
    No public admission regardless at any race meeting. Only utilising 3 tracks, GP, Bunbury and Pinjarra.

Markovina likes this post.

• aussiebattleraussiebattler    277 posts
    Markovina said:

Just looking at the fields at Bunbury - and ive broken the golden rule and had a couple of bets their

But their  is a couple of nice races - both 30k races - the Narrogin Country WA Derby and the Narrogin Pacing Cup - and they are both being held at Bunbury - and i was just wondering why

Maybe its thats virus thing - and they dont want an influx of people into their town - which would be understandable - but disappointing for their club
    Clubs not given a choice rwwa decision to reduce amount of travel or number of people travelling ,still waiting to hear how regional travel restrictions are going to affect participants .........
    Fall at Inverell R6 looked very nasty...just after start. Hope things turn out better than they looked.
    Yeah i went to watch the replay of the Inverell Cup - and i noticed there was none

Prior  race to the Cup - i backed the winner for the place only 

The $1.10 fave missed the kick by 100 metres-  i couldnt  factor that into my betting - mind you  Chariots ( if he pumps hes tyres anymore they will burst ) - the all conquering Chariots - who tipped 22 winners in a row - he could have probably factored that occurrence in 
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Only 20 from 21 Marko and tips were available to everyone on Thursday prior to any markets being released.

The fact that you saw nothing wrong with Race 3 at GP says it all.
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    By the way reward for effort Marko, my services were no longer required by Giddyup after the 20 from 21.