G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 21 Non Members

Comments

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    Wowee some of you need to take a deep breath. How was Zahra meant to know he was on a flight with an infected person? How was Willie supposed to know that. When Zarah has been told of the possibility he has reported it and gone to be tested then the people he has been in contact with have been informed.

It’s like saying the person who served you at Coles 2 weeks ago has tested positive, you may be at risk but you somehow should have known that and told everyone whose path you crossed in the time since even though there is no possible way of being aware of it. How many people have you had dealings with in the last month? Do you know if any of them have been in contact with a known carrier????

So I suppose it comes back to social distancing then doesn’t it, surely even if someone does have it then all these precautions that are supposedly in place should mean that it hasn’t spread across the industry should someone come to test positive.

Flanders, JimmyPop likes this post.

• ozzguy88ozzguy88    11 posts
     Agree with you BUT So why did they both let Race meetings start and then all of sudden decide to report to stewards after race 3

Gilgamesh likes this post.

• The_BullThe_Bull    918 posts
    Gilgamesh said:

Wowee some of you need to take a deep breath. How was Zahra meant to know he was on a flight with an infected person? How was Willie supposed to know that. When Zarah has been told of the possibility he has reported it and gone to be tested then the people he has been in contact with have been informed.

It’s like saying the person who served you at Coles 2 weeks ago has tested positive, you may be at risk but you somehow should have known that and told everyone whose path you crossed in the time since even though there is no possible way of being aware of it. How many people have you had dealings with in the last month? Do you know if any of them have been in contact with a known carrier????

So I suppose it comes back to social distancing then doesn’t it, surely even if someone does have it then all these precautions that are supposedly in place should mean that it hasn’t spread across the industry should someone come to test positive.

I have no issue with either jock. I take issue with the system that is trying to stay relevent and prove that it is "cleaner" and has less interaction than sports that have been kyboshed. Peak bodies owe due diligence.

Gilgamesh, RIO likes this post.

edited March 2020
    And to paint you the picture in my world, without racing, I will be in the dole queue, something I've never done in my life...

RIO likes this post.

The_Bull said:

And to paint you the picture in my world, without racing, I will be in the dole queue, something I've never done in my life...

Yep mate I can completely understand, this is your livelihood it’s who you are. But it just isn’t possible for any industry to run that level of testing, the whole world is demanding test kits, medical facilities are struggling to get hold of them, no one is going to stock pile them for little old RWWA unfortunately.

All of us are now pawns in something far bigger

Desperado, VillageKid likes this post.

No chance we could have got hold of 50 test kits? that would have tested most, if not all of the jocks and reinsman, apart from perhaps owner drivers?

RIO likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    edited March 2020
    I would recommend tonights segment on ABC 7.30 from Dr Norman Swan. If you want some light at the end of the tunnel watch and listen to the expert opinions of the contributors. Best case scenario/estimate if we have TOTAL community cohesion on this is getting control in a FORTNIGHT. This estimate coming from a front line worker during the EBOLA crisis and backed by figures from countries like South Korea during the current crisis.  Shutting racing down for a fortnight isn't that much of a problem.......continuing and exacerbating the problem is stupid. ps...you won't hear this recommendation from the government because it was delivered on the ABC rather than Murdochs rubbish.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    The_Bull said:

No chance we could have got hold of 50 test kits? that would have tested most, if not all of the jocks and reinsman, apart from perhaps owner drivers?

I said it before ....they have put up to 15,000 people in this position. With all the hoohar about borders, you think it would have been discussed before now. All personnel who attended course could have been asked where have they been for the past 14 days.
    I know of truck drivers who have to fill a form out, every time they get in a truck to cross the border with about 30 questions on it..

Anyway its done now. everyone is now at risk of joining the dole queue if the return is positive.!!! Feel for all of you

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    I cant see how its either jock's fault. 
    Ill guarantee you there are people more deliberately putting the industry in danger with their actions, than either of these two jocks did. 

RIO, curmudgeon, Gilgamesh likes this post.

The Diva  - ok dont blame either jocks but why did they both
     let meetings start before owning up???
    how come it took 3 races

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    That’s when Victoria notified WA there was an issue

Gilgamesh, jum, RIO likes this post.

They trace whoever was on the plane with the positive guy. Zahra gets told... then they trace who had had contact with zahra... they get told next. It’s a logical sequence. They must have traced back to zahra sometime this arvo, then to Willy a bit later.
    so why did willie wai
    t and ride in 3 ???????
    who traced it after 3 races??

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    People making this out to be a consequence of individual actions are missing the point altogether. We have been too bloody slow to shut down and isolate ourselves to starve the virus of opportunity to spread. Do it now...en masse.... and speed up the recovery exponentially.

JimmyPop likes this post.

so its taken since willie had contact with Zara until after race 3 today for this to all happen - bulltish
  • LETSDOTHISLETSDOTHIS    298 posts
    What are you on about Ozzguy? News only came through today that Zahra had been on the same plane as someone that had tested positive. Upon receiving this news, the dots were connected between Zahra and everyone he had care in contact with. NSW, VIC and W.A. racing were all abandoned within the hour. It is not that hard to comprehend

Thunderstruck likes this post.

ozzguy88 said:

so its taken since willie had contact with Zara until after race 3 today for this to all happen - bulltish

Honestly what kind of person do you think Mr Pike is? Can you not realise that this is when they were informed and they called it off immediately? RWWA probably knew about it before William given that he was riding in races with limited/no access to his phone. 

This is not a man that would take any risk to put his industry at jeopardy. 

Pike has since tried to be tested and has been turned away. Again there just isn’t the testing material available to test everyone. 

This is a product that had zero demand 3 months ago that suddenly is being demanded in the millions, there is going to be lag. Hence they are being kept to save lives not jobs. 

And I’m not looking to upset/disparage/argue with anyone, we just all need to look at the bigger picture and expect the best of each other and not throw mud until you have real solid proof of anything. Don’t just jump straight to the worst conclusion. 
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    I have a bone to pick on the issue yesterday and it’s the fact Vic made the call to abandon the rest of their meeting after the 2nd race at 12:30 yet by the time we made a decision in wait awhile (WA) there were already 3 races run an hour and a half later!
    edited March 2020

Story from AAP:

My understanding is the current system in Victoria is that the tests go to a central testing system and therefore you have to wait for that central system,” Thompson told RSN927.

“Places like NSW, I think private labs can do them and you can get quicker results up there, but down here you have to wait.

“We’re hopeful of an answer today (but) it can’t be guaranteed.

“We are at the mercy of the system and we’re in the queue like everyone else.”

• tonytony    2,361 posts
    edited March 2020
    The NSW jockeys who had contact with Zahra on a charter flight have been tested and the results were negative, so that is the first part of a clearance for the weekend.

Also demonstrates the difference between the testing availability in different states

Thunderstruck, Gilgamesh, hash likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    edited March 2020
    Mexicans get the shorter straw :P
    But that's seemingly good news in Nsw racing could be back on Saturday everywhere I reckon(hope)

hash likes this post.

the NSW harness steward who was tested... still doesnt have his result back yet...

But that didn't affect the gallops yesty did it, only harness racing meetings?..bit one eyed but I was referencing the gallops, Sydney and Ascot particularly..ok and Bendigo too.
  • LETSDOTHISLETSDOTHIS    298 posts
    Sydney racing back on from tomorrow

Thunderstruck, oldhendo likes this post.

i meant... the two jocks tested in NSW have their results back... the steward does not yet.... 
    I thought the steward was tested a few days back? 
    On the 24th that issue was I think so yep that's strange no news on that test.
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    TheDiva said:

i meant... the two jocks tested in NSW have their results back... the steward does not yet.... 

I thought the steward was tested a few days back? 

Pretty simple solution I’d of thought isolate/quarantine the steward until results are back, it ain’t rocket science
  • spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Well said Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh likes this post.