G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 24 Non Members

Boredom Beater Phantom Race

Harness & Greyhounds
JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
edited April 2020 Harness & Greyhounds
The Yanks are keen on the "Phantom Race" caper and given they have zero racing, it has reappeared again. Decades ago, they put together a phantom "best of the decade" field from the 60's, allocated barriers and r\"ran" the race. The winner was the unrivaled Cardigan Bay.
They have now just produced a best filed covering the 20 years since 2000, a slightly wider canvassing of their champs.
Field in Barrier Order was:
1   Real Desire
2  Somebeachsomewhere
3  Captain Treacherous
4  McWicked
5  Lather Up
6. Always Be Miki
7  Wiggle It Jiggle It
8  Rocknroll Hanover
9  Sweet Lou
10 Bettors Delight

They even allocate drivers taking into account what they might do and "run" the race with a description of how it may pan out.  (I tell you, they do take their phantom racing seriously). You will be pleased to know Always Be Miki won by a nose from Somebeachsomewhere, Real Desire lead up and hung on for 3rd just ahead Captain Treacherous, Lather Up, Rocknroll Hanover, Bettors Delight, Wiggle It Jiggle It with McWicked and Sweet Lou filling the last two spots having dropped out of the ficticious early speed battle. They even determine a time, a rather slick 1.45.4.

Soooo, drawing a long straw, here is the field in barrier draw order for Western Australia's best horses of the last 20 years that have competed in a WA Pacing Cup, to run over 2550m at GP.

1. Mysta Magical Mach
2  David Hercules
3  Saab
4  Chicago Bull
5  Lombo Rapida
6 Soho Tribeca
7  Beaudienne Boaz
8  I'm The Mightyquinn
9  Baltic Eagle
10 Flashing Red
11 Washakie
12The Falcon Strike

Market please Chariots? Results to follow after all bets are down? A bit of fun or a really crap idea and go buy some paint and brushes JJ?
+1 -1

VillageKid likes this post.

Comments

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Market to 117% and many will disagree Place percentage at quarter odds a very skinny 310%.

1. 9
    2. 21
    3. 31
    4. 8
    5. 51
    6. 15
    7. 201
    8. 2.2
    9. 9
    10. 15
    11. 51
    12. 9

JayJay, VillageKid likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    1st- I’m TheMightyQuinn
    2nd- The Falcon Strike
    3rd- Baltic Eagle
    4th- Chicago Bull
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    edited April 2020
    1. ITMQ
    2.TFS
    3 Baltic
    4 The little Bull
    Gee....you are a good judge VK  :))

Watching Blue Murder Ep 1 via SBS On Demand...25 years since it was on tv...forgot how good it was 

cisco, VillageKid likes this post.

• PackedMetalPandaPackedMetalPanda    166 posts
    Lombo Pocket Watch to replace Beaudiene Boaz off quick memory
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Flashing Red - you have to be kidding

Got gifted alot of those races over East - when it came over here - they wouldnt even give it the breeze  - and it was a major flop 

I didnt like its owner either 
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Pocket Watch never placed in a WA Cup.

Flashing Red was and given he won over 2 million and won a couple of NZ Cups and an Auckland Cup and about 35 other races all up......all over the country......So he is in.

Chariotsonfire, VillageKid likes this post.

Lombo Pocket Watch to replace Beaudiene Boaz off quick memory

How about a phantom call Panda?

I think Chariots market is skewiff 

$1.35 Im The Mighty Quinn - Quinnie probably the best pacer ive ever seen 

The only horse who could trouble it ( and would be under a double figure quote ) would be Soho Tribeca

But for that to happen we need a major driving change

On goes  the champ T Warwick ( back in his prime ) and off goes  K Prentice 

And in my opinion if Warwick had driven that horse in THE Inter Dom Final in Perth - it would be the Inter Dom Champ . Warwick would have parked that Kiwi star 3 wide the trip ( like Jnr did a week later ) and Warwick wouldnt have blinked an eye doing it

Sadly Prentice who had a horse in  tremendous condition - in sensational form - had the option of doing that - but unfortunately didnt 
  • PackedMetalPandaPackedMetalPanda    166 posts

Lombo Pocket Watch to replace Beaudiene Boaz off quick
    memory

How about a phantom call Panda?

Happily do it, Jayjay give me some details you’d like

jum likes this post.

Markovina said:

The only horse who could trouble it ( and would be under a double figure quote ) would be Soho Tribeca

And in my opinion if Warwick had driven that horse in THE Inter Dom Final in Perth - it would be the Inter Dom Champ . Warwick would have parked that Kiwi star 3 wide the trip ( like Jnr did a week later ) and Warwick wouldnt have blinked an eye doing it

Sadly Prentice who had a horse in  tremendous condition - in sensational form - had the option of doing that - but unfortunately didnt 
    Kim Prentice would more than likely be driving Baltic Eagle in this phantom race you would think Marko?
    JayJay said:

The Yanks are keen on the "Phantom Race" caper and given they have zero racing, it has reappeared again. Decades ago, they put together a phantom "best of the decade" field from the 60's, allocated barriers and r\"ran" the race. The winner was the unrivaled Cardigan Bay.
    They have now just produced a best filed covering the 20 years since 2000, a slightly wider canvassing of their champs.
    Field in Barrier Order was:
    1   Real Desire
    2  Somebeachsomewhere
    3  Captain Treacherous
    4  McWicked
    5  Lather Up
    6. Always Be Miki
    7  Wiggle It Jiggle It
    8  Rocknroll Hanover
    9  Sweet Lou
    10 Bettors Delight

They even allocate drivers taking into account what they might do and "run" the race with a description of how it may pan out.  (I tell you, they do take their phantom racing seriously). You will be pleased to know Always Be Miki won by a nose from Somebeachsomewhere, Real Desire lead up and hung on for 3rd just ahead Captain Treacherous, Lather Up, Rocknroll Hanover, Bettors Delight, Wiggle It Jiggle It with McWicked and Sweet Lou filling the last two spots having dropped out of the ficticious early speed battle. They even determine a time, a rather slick 1.45.4.

Soooo, drawing a long straw, here is the field in barrier draw order for Western Australia's best horses of the last 20 years that have competed in a WA Pacing Cup, to run over 2550m at GP.

1. Mysta Magical Mach
    2  David Hercules
    3  Saab
    4  Chicago Bull
    5  Lombo Rapida
    6 Soho Tribeca
    7  Beaudienne Boaz
    8  I'm The Mightyquinn
    9  Baltic Eagle
    10 Flashing Red
    11 Washakie
    12The Falcon Strike

Market please Chariots? Results to follow after all bets are down? A bit of fun or a really crap idea and go buy some paint and brushes JJ?
    Great concept JJ.
    My Hard Copy seems a bit unlucky too miss out on a spot in the field?
    Who would be the respective reinsmen for each horse as a few would be double/triple booked?

Markovina said:

Kim Prentice would more than likely be driving Baltic Eagle in this phantom race you would think Marko?
    As long as TB Warwick was driving Soho Tribeca - then i couldnt care less what Prentice was driving 
    Drivers are a bit tricky but using today's roster, along with a bit of stable connection  and considering it's all hypothetical:

1. Mysta Magical Mach  Chris Lewis 
    2  David Hercules          Morgan Woodley
    3  Saab                          Chris Voak
    4  Chicago Bull              Stuart McDonald
    5  Lombo Rapida           Ryan Warwick
    6 Soho Tribeca               Dylan Edgerton Green
    7 Beaudienne Boaz        Kyle Harper
    8  I'm The Mightyquinn    Gary Hall Jnr
    9  Baltic Eagle                 Kim Prentice
    10 Flashing Red             Shannon Suvaljko
    11 Washakie                   Michael Grantham
    12The Falcon Strike       Aiden DeCampo

Great charge off the gate and they run the lead time in a stunning 33.9, multiple early challenges, game on, the pilots can't help themselves, full attack mode Tribeca to the breeze and then Baltic Eagle around early, reckon Falcon Strike around them 3 wide late giving Quinny the cart up, Bully camped off waiting for room, Flashing Red smoking the pipe but desperate.........leave it to you Panda. MHC......13 didn't go into 12 VK (1st emergency).

JayJay said:

Pocket Watch never placed in a WA Cup.

Flashing Red was and given he won over 2 million and won a couple of NZ Cups and an Auckland Cup and about 35 other races all up......all over the country......So he is in.
    Those NZ Cups - i dont even rate - they were embarassing - gifted the lead on a silver plate 

Tell me its record on  WA soil - and im telling you it finished closest to last than 1st in every WA start - because there was no easy lead over here 

And list some of the horses that beat it home in WA- they were Rhetts Law type horses - sorry Russell 
    Marko markets are very much a personal opinion.

ITMQ started at $1.90, $4.20 and $2.10 in his three Pacing Cup victories and the fields did not have the depth of this phantom race.

It was interesting that my first run at the prices based on gut feel yielded only an 86% market so I had to trim them all up a bit.

Marko, gold medalist for derailing threads with tempting bait on the hook and kept saying to myself, leave it, leave it....but can't have facts get in the way, now can we.
    I grant you that his WA form was probably not his very very  best....but....he ran 2nd to Falcon Strike in a Freo Cup, 3rd to Falcon Strike in the APC, 2nd in a Pacing Cup, 3rd in a Freo Cup, won a stand off 10m, 2nd in the McInerney Pace, 2nd in an Inters heat and a FFA and 3rd off a handicap in the Christmas Handicap....all up for $118,462 in stakes.
    As far as his NZ cup wins, well, I don't know what races you were watching. In 2006, he was 4 wide then 3 wide and took about 1000m to work to the front from gate 8....hardly a gifted lead. Winforu shot past him off the back and then he came again in the lane for a great win. In the 2007 NZ Cup, he started as #18 from 15m. 2 did things very wrong and he was driven cold last all the way bar the 2 that galloped out. He was last at the bell and then worked 3 wide without cover the entire last lap to beat the champ Monkey King. Outstanding. In the 2007 Auckland Cup, he settled 3 back the running line, then breezed, ran to the front 1400m out and won easy from Classic Cullen.
    Now if you don't think he should be in, fair enough....but it is a bit of fun Marko, a bit of fun, someones opinion.....if you want to put your own field up, great, go for it and if you think winning 2 NZ Cups and an Auckland Cup is embarrassing, then fine .......just don't sit back and throw pies. Makes me want to log off and never bother again, honestly.

Meanwhile, Chariots, any chance of a retrospective slice of the $4.20 ITMQ in his second cup win. I think he drew wide, 6 or 7 but was that the one when he let go 3 wide late from the back?

jum, VillageKid likes this post.

I had retired from bookmaking but he would have cost me plenty if I was fielding in his era.

Pure Steel was bad enough. Always left you with the feeling that he was susceptible with his racing style but kept fighting them off.