In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 40 Non Members

Comments

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    I saw Northfield Park(Ohio) has suspended racing for a week
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    edited March 2020
    It's time to close down racing until the emergency has passed. The world has lost control of this thing and it's here. Now.

JimmyPop likes this post.

Cant_Refuse dislikes this post.

• loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    Taking effect in NSW & Vic I just heard, with Harness racing stopped with a positive test of an industry participant
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Unfortunately i think you might be right

NSW have suspended all Harness Racing - Leeton ( was just about to do the form ) has been abandoned for tonight

Someone came into contact with someone at Penrith who had it - and have now tested positive 

Theve shut it down to Thursday night - hope to resume Friday - waiting further medical result tests - i hope it resumes - but good luck - because you need 1 person with and its all over Red Rover - thats the problem 

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    Markovina said:

Unfortunately i think you might be right

NSW have suspended all Harness Racing - Leeton ( was just about to do the form ) has been abandoned for tonight

Someone came into contact with someone at Penrith who had it - and have now tested positive 

Theve shut it down to Thursday night - hope to resume Friday - waiting further medical result tests - i hope it resumes - but good luck - because you need 1 person with and its all over Red Rover - thats the problem 

Penrith? ****. Ok. Set the Nepean River alight. Now. 
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    GP abandoned today.
  • 2lifetimewinners2lifetimewinners    508 posts
    Congrats to the **** heads at RWWA Stewards department. Single handedly could have shut the industry down for months.
    #imbeciles.
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    How come the RWWA Stewards are to blame. 

The infected steward worked for HRNSW and attended the meeting at Penrith in NSW and came in contact with NSW and Victorian participants. 
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,719 posts

The infected steward worked for HRNSW and attended the meeting at Penrith in NSW and came in contact with NSW and Victorian participants. 
    They let Jack Trainor drive here Friday, the result of which has seen tonight’s meeting abandoned. All we can do is cross our fingers he tests negative
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    #-o X_X

Congrats to the **** heads at RWWA Stewards department. Single handedly could have shut the industry down for months.

#imbeciles.
    I tend to agree with you mate - they are closing state borders - yet they let Jack Trainor have that drive at GP

I just looked up - he had 6 drives at that Penrith meeting

Yep ive got to agree with you - beyond stupid
    edited March 2020
    For every obvious route of infection there are many not so obvious but just as potentially lethal within the racing industry...and thus the community at large. Lock down now...close the industry and pick up the pieces with the rest of the community when the time emerges. To not do so is absolutely ridiculous.

• 2lifetimewinners2lifetimewinners    508 posts

The RWWA Stewards were contacted by a number of local participants on WEDNESDAY and they voiced their concerns that allowing someone to come over from the state with the highest infection rate, on a commercial flight for 1 drive at a meeting could exponentially increase the risk of the local industry. In fact they were unaware at the time that we had an interstate driver coming to drive at the meeting until they were advised.

So thats why they are too blame.  

TrackBias, Offthebit likes this post.

edited March 2020

#imbeciles.
    Sounds crazy that driver was able to drive here, but gee a week is a longtime with this, state borders were still open then, planes still flying in etc etc

Pikey rode in Vic just 11 days ago, but if feels like it was forever
    David Miles is an interesting position re this

He is a Victorian Trainer and Driver - with a team of about 15 i reckon

Hes got a few of those E and M  Stride horse ( prolific breeder and NSW Owner )

Now they let him drive Focus Stride at Bathurst on Monday - in one of those Gold Challice heats - maybe he was allready in NSW - Jack Trainor also drove in that same race

I looked up this Saturdays Melton meeting - Miles has 1 runner - hes not listed as the driver - maybe he is not allowed to return from NSW - or maybe he wont be allowed to attend - until test results give the all clear
    Info available leads it to appear like the pathway to suspension of Harness Racing in NSW & Vic was from Ruby Princess passenger to Penrith Harness Employee ( both confirmed positive) to HRNSW steward at Penrith 19/3 (unconfirmed but tested ) to Vic participant at Bathurst 20/3(unconfirmed but tested).

Until the test results return the Vic suspension of harness racing is precautionary. 
    Doesn't bode well though.

#imbeciles.
    Sounds crazy that driver was able to drive here, but gee a week is a longtime with this, state borders were still open then, planes still flying in etc etc

Pikey rode in Vic just 11 days ago, but if feels like it was forever
    Something brewing about a Vic rider being tested now, who was associated with Pikey that meeting that has reulted in WA racing ceasing at Race 4 today .

Happening fast isn't it.
    edited March 2020
    Posting this twice because the information may be extremely important

I would recommend tonights segment on ABC 7.30 from Dr Norman Swan. If you want some light at the end of the tunnel watch and listen to the expert opinions of the contributors. Best case scenario/estimate if we have TOTAL community cohesion on this is getting control in a FORTNIGHT. This estimate coming from a front line worker during the EBOLA crisis and backed by figures from countries like South Korea during the current crisis.  Shutting racing down for a fortnight isn't that much of a problem.......continuing and exacerbating the problem is stupid. ps...you won't hear this recommendation from the government because it was delivered on the ABC rather than Murdochs rubbish.

I think I was born to self isolate.

Only have to wean myself of social media and the isolation will be complete.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    In spite of occasional differences of opinion, there are plenty of old punters on here that have only fond memories of you in the hustle and bustle of the old betting ring Chariots. The one good thing about self isolation is that I generally win any arguments with myself, quite empowering really, but really missing not being able to attend race meetings....."Was it Joni Mitchell? "You don't know what you've lost til its gone".

VillageKid likes this post.

• aussiebattleraussiebattler    277 posts
    edited March 2020
    Should WA have gone along the same lines of NSW with regionalisation ,at the moment people still travel the state to get to where they need to Ravensthorpe to Bunbury is approx 6 hours travel or more one way as an example many trainers still having to travel long distances 
    They could have split it to 2 regions provincial/metro and country
     2 groups of stewards,race callers etc 
     Pinjarra Bunbury and GP trainers drivers in that region stay in that area 
    Kellerberrin Northam Narrogin and Wagin trainers and drivers in that region stay in that area (reduce it to 2 tracks if they really need to )
    It would further reduce travel and split the industry into 2 groups further protecting the industry ,it would also have a plus side the country region would benefit from the exclusion of provincial/metro and have a chance to earn a dollar 
    Adjust programming to suit available horses in each area 
    Just a thought ,still depends on ability to continue anyway in these trying conditions 

Not sure of the full story but very disappointing that a licensed person is alleged to have manhandled a compliance officer doing temperature testing at GP Friday.

If it is correct the book should be thrown at him or her.

VillageKid, Betonme likes this post.

• BetonmeBetonme    209 posts
    Just wondering if any comparisons on turnovers been like atm? I know a few ppl that wouldnt normally bet on horses, that are bored at home and betting. So I am wondering if there is any counter against the loss of TABs being closed. 
  • Ivorytrunkey86Ivorytrunkey86    204 posts
    See the Pinjarra stewards report,an unlicensed person tried to enter telling the people taking temperatures she was licensed then telling the same to the stewards,pretty poor attitude not following the rules and putting thousands of jobs at risk,if these rules are not followed they will shut racing down it can’t be that hard to follow for a few months.
    Just a quick point before i post - theres a couple of posters who get " Upset " reading my posts - then commonsense says just dont read them - this is  just a racing forum   FFS

I just try to post a few things - that aernt in mainstream media and people might find  a little bit interesting 

And seeing i lived in Tassie for a while ( and are familiar with the local scene ) heres a few quotes from yesterday - Craig Newitt - their no 1 jockey - a very successful  jockey - on the thread topic

" Everybody understands the seriousness of the situation but every requirement that was handed to us we were doing not just thoroughbreds but all 3 codes We didnt even get a chance to put our hand up and put up suggestions of what we could do about it . The longer this lasts the more crippling it is to the industry in Tassie "

Tassie seems hard done by compared to other states - imagine they without warning stopped racing immediately  in WA for 4 week minium - with no industry discussion - or negotiation nothing - the participants would be screaming
  • PictureSon1973PictureSon1973    138 posts
    Markovina Different Points of view if I agree or disagree with you are always warranted that’s what makes us a Democracy..
    These Forums are a good outlet in these days of well seemingly uncharted times and people just take them for what they are a personal point of view that’s all.
  • AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts
    Betonme said:

Betonme said:

Just wondering if any comparisons on turnovers been like atm? I know a few ppl that wouldnt normally bet on horses, that are bored at home and betting. So I am wondering if there is any counter against the loss of TABs being closed. 

A race at Bunbury on Saturday night had $182,000 matched on betfair, unheard of, normally about $30,000. I would say corporates and fixed betting would be well up as well.

Betonme likes this post.

• theduketheduke    284 posts
    The corporates in Australia are enjoying massive turnovers.