Who's Online

0 Members & 38 Non Members

Eastern States Racing

East Coast Racing

Comments

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    **STEWARD'S REPORT**

Race 4 WILLIAM NEWTON VC HANDICAP - 2600 metres:

Vow and Declare Rider Craig Williams reported the gelding was disappointing, that he had travelled well throughout the race, gained clear running at the top of the straight and was then one‑paced. He added Vow and Declare felt fresh prior to the race which is not his usual temperament and that the gelding had pulled up well. Trainer Danny O'Brien reported the gelding appeared to pull up well but had performed below his best and it was his intention to give the gelding a spell from racing. Mr O'Brien undertook to notify Stewards should he become aware of any condition that may have affected Vow and Declare's performance. A post‑race veterinary examination failed to reveal any abnormalities. A swab sample was taken for analysis.
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    edited April 2020
    PC said:

Vow And Declare was disappointing, wasn't good enough - yes he had 61kg but the difference was only 5kg from the top weight (61kg) and the bottom weight (56kg).

Perhaps Timeform was spot on with that Cup win in terms of its assessment and then given Vow And Declare a rating of 117 which was the lowest rating for a Melbourne Cup winner since Brew (2000 - 114).

Seems like unless a staying race is run at a decent temp it's not going to be rated favourably. It's worth noting that Magic Wand(10th, 3.6L) won the Mackinnon next start and was 2nd in the HK Cup after that. Then was 2nd in the Pegasus World Cup Turf. Southern France(19th, 6.5L) won the Sandown Classic impressively next start. 

I still think Surprose Baby was the best of the locals- the winner just got the best ride in the race and all the luck when Il Paradiso(promoted to 3rd after protesting v the 2nd horse over the line, Master Of Reality)copped the worst of the interference.
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Tend to agree Trk(and I backed the winner).I reckon Surprise Baby is the best local chance this year and clearly so at this early stage * i haven't considered Master Of Wine In saying that but SB was a huge run and gets in with a similar impost this year.
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    PC said:

**STEWARD'S REPORT**

Vow and Declare Rider Craig Williams reported the gelding was disappointing, that he had travelled well throughout the race, gained clear running at the top of the straight and was then one‑paced. He added Vow and Declare felt fresh prior to the race which is not his usual temperament and that the gelding had pulled up well. Trainer Danny O'Brien reported the gelding appeared to pull up well but had performed below his best and it was his intention to give the gelding a spell from racing. Mr O'Brien undertook to notify Stewards should he become aware of any condition that may have affected Vow and Declare's performance. A post‑race veterinary examination failed to reveal any abnormalities. A swab sample was taken for analysis.

wont win another race again

Manchild likes this post.

edited April 2020
    jum said:

PC said:

**STEWARD'S REPORT**

wont win another race again

Won a Melbourne Cup so probably doesn’t need to win anything more. Will be remembered for that accomplishment alone, even by the once-a-year punters. Or pea hearts as I call them.

jum likes this post.

edited April 2020
    Yep won't bother me if he doesn't salute ever again, win was not without fortune but he ran really well that day still runs second without the interference chopping off Il Paradiso.I backed(for varying amounts)all 3 of the final placegetters but VAD was my biggest stake..it was a nearly perfect storm day for me..protest being upheld netted me the trifecta too so i won't forget him or the race in a hurry..plus it wasn't a fluke win surely you guys dont think that? he was worthy of being high in the market..at the end of the day phuk the imports he did it "for Austraya mate" :D
  • TheSwooperTheSwooper    1,717 posts
    One jockey / trainer combination that is doing well at the moment is Kersley and Cumani

35 starts 7 wins 20% SR  positive return.

Another good priced winner today in Trench Warfare. 

Thunderstruck, jum likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts

Yep won't bother me if he doesn't salute ever again, win was not without fortune but he ran really well that day still runs second without the interference chopping off Il Paradiso.I backed(for varying amounts)all 3 of the final placegetters but VAD was my biggest stake..it was a nearly perfect storm day for me..protest being upheld netted me the trifecta too so i won't forget him or the race in a hurry..plus it wasn't a fluke win surely you guys dont think that? he was worthy of being high in the market..at the end of the day phuk the imports he did it "for Austraya mate" :D

An interesting stat is that I did some research on all Melbourne Cup Winners from 1980 until now and how many Group 1 wins they won in their career. A total of 83 Group 1s have been won by all Melbourne Cup winners, however the average Group 1s won per winner is at 2.18 which seems low but shows that some of them dont win another race again let alone another Group 1 after winning the Melbourne Cup.

jum likes this post.

@PC Makybe Diva certainly over achieved then! She won 6x G1 races after her first Melb Cup, inc her 2nd & 3rd MCs. She also won Memsie Stakes, Turnbull Stakes which were only G2 races then but are G1s now.
  • jumjum    3,512 posts

jum said:

PC said:

I would take that if I was the owner.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts

@PC Makybe Diva certainly over achieved then! She won 6x G1 races after her first Melb Cup, inc her 2nd & 3rd MCs. She also won Memsie Stakes, Turnbull Stakes which were only G2 races then but are G1s now.

Its an interesting way of looking at it isnt it from that point if view in terms of Makybe Diva "over achieving". Might And Power won 7 G1s in total (the same as Makybe Diva).
    PC said:

Its an interesting way of looking at it isnt it from that point if view in terms of Makybe Diva "over achieving". Might And Power won 7 G1s in total (the same as Makybe Diva).

Imagine how many she'd have won if we had as many staying races run at WFA as the UK do?
  • PCPC    2,190 posts

PC said:

Imagine how many she'd have won if we had as many staying races run at WFA as the UK do?

And thats the problem with Australian racing...there are not enough races at 2400m+ which are run at WFA. I can only think of three:

April: G1 Tancred Stakes (2400m)

May: Listed Andrew Ramsden Stakes (2800m)

November: G2 Sandown Classic (2400m)
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Timeform Australia: "Vow And Declare ran to a Timeform rating of 110 on Saturday. He ran to 117 in the Melbourne Cup. Very different pace scenario on Sat. Had he run to his Cup level I think he struggles to beat Haky anyway"

Also bear in mind that his peak Timeform rating is 119 when 3rd in the Australian Cup.

The ride on the $20+ winner Rainier by H Bowman was one of extreme balls and skill...the downside is I was on Phaistos, you prick hughie :))

Redemption baby!!..today does the same thing but this time he was riding Phaistos :D :x ILY hughie..
    Sandown and Morphettville riddled with front running bias. Winter is just going to magnify things and it’s not worth second guessing all day whether there’s a pattern. Time to pull up stumps til the Spring for me

jum likes this post.

• The_BullThe_Bull    918 posts
    I pose a question in regard to the riding tactics on SUNLIGHT in the Sangster at Morphetville on Saturday. Now I'm not interested in whether the tactics were right or wrong. Personally I think it went like a busted ass and would of done the same with a pie run, it stopped that quick. But riddle me this.... If the connections walked the track earlier in the day and decided that best plan of attack was to sit 8 wide the trip, as noted in the stewards report, why wasn't the public notified? Surely you don't get any bigger change in riding tactics than that? And yes, I am talking through my kick as I backed it. But I backed it late and if I knew it was to be ridden like that I would not have.  :-?
  • squid69squid69    1,434 posts
    Massive risk to take in a G1 race, Maybe could have used those tactics with a lesser horse in an earlier race to see how it went? They did lead all the way with one...
    @squid69 The difference I guess was that in the earlier race, the horse(same stable & jockey combo) had the inside gate and stuck to the rail. It was obvious by then(race 6) that the better ground was near the rail so why in a later race would you persist with tactics devised earlier that morning I don't know? I was also surprised the fav in the Australasian Oaks, Toffee Tongue, was gifted the rails when the whole field fanned turning for home.  

squid69 likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    WA horse Too Close The Sun is running in the Listed Warrnambool Cup today
    About now I'm wishing I had blackbooked Salorsci after it's 2nd up run..he won today at Warnambool started 8.50 fixed. :(
    Race to race double for Lindsey Smith, Yendall just steered home Savaquin at $34..likely to make it a treble in an hour or so.

Race to race double for Lindsey Smith, Yendall just steered home Savaquin at $34..likely to make it a treble in an hour or so.

How the hell did that thing win?  @-)
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    PC said:

WA horse Too Close The Sun is running in the Listed Warrnambool Cup today

And it won too..led all the way
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Australia's best Aboriginal jockey Darby McCarthy has passed away aged 76. His feature wins included:

Stradbroke Handicp (1963-64-66)
    George Ryder Stakes (1966)
    Brisbane Cup (1966)
    Doomben 10,000 (1968)
    AJC Derby (1969)
    Epsom Hcp (1969)
    Tancred Stakes (1978)

All up he rode more than 1000 winners in Australia, Europe & Asia. Great career. R.I.P
    I will be having a spec on Zayydani in the SA derby, massively unlucky in the Oaks and with the queries on a couple of the fav's she can figure with luck.
    WOW WOW! Masked Crusader one of the easiest wins you would ever want to see :x astonishing that it drifted to 2.50 at one stage 8-X
    Reckon Greyworm can lead all the way and win again, go you beautiful grey beast!
    Donkeys are winning all day today at S.A deadset, unfortunately I've backed a few losing camels :-q
  • oldhendooldhendo    763 posts
    The Russian is pretty special.