G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 36 Non Members
I know I will get the old "It's a hard job and could you do better". But surely our top caller can do better with his run ons than his comment that "Gatting never came on". in the sprint.
The horse ran 4th, about 2 lengths from the winner. 
Gee he only needed to "come on": a fraction to almost win the race.
A bad call I must say

+1 -1

oldhendo, Thunderstruck, Gilgamesh likes this post.

Comments

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Lol I heard that, shaking my head still. To be fair had a close photo for first to look at tho.
  • oldhendooldhendo    763 posts
    Been the same for the last few years, just to many mistakes, time to go.

RIO likes this post.

bullship11, thefalcon dislikes this post.

• bullship11bullship11    11 posts
    Yep agree, move on Macca

RIO likes this post.

thefalcon dislikes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    It's not a hard job. Clearly there are no standards because this crap has been put up with for years and nothing will change. He could call them from the Perth Airport tower with as much accuracy.

You simply can't listen to a live call with any degree of certainty.

RIO likes this post.

Flanders dislikes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Going average that's for sure but as has been correctly stated it's not a recent development.
  • Precision1Precision1    544 posts
    It’s not a hard job? Damien you call every horse over the line in order at say race 8 at Pinjarra tomorrow. I bet you couldn’t if that’s all you had to do but that’s not all he has to do.  He needs to paint the picture of the race and in a Tight finish by the time he gets past the two fighting it out and calling the winner the horses are 100m past the post.  It’s obvious he then Calls them in the order they are in at that time so you just have to know if you were forward in the run you likely were closer than he called and vice versa.  Ideally he gets it right every time but gee it’s gotta be hard

LETSDOTHIS, thefalcon, Yankee likes this post.

• NevershowsurpriseNevershowsurprise    995 posts

It's not a hard job. Clearly there are no standards because this crap has been put up with for years and nothing will change. He could call them from the Perth Airport tower with as much accuracy.

Haha it’s not a hard job!!!

Comment of the year that one...

thefalcon likes this post.

• luapluap    45 posts
    I realise that it's a tough gig, but in race 4 Macca has called the Peters' horse, odds on favourite, Windswept rather that Windstorm the entire race.   

RIO likes this post.

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    edited May 2020
    Example and you can substitute any trade.......If you know little about cars being a mechanic would be a hard job. However if you have completed your apprenticeship and have been fulfilling the role for what seems an eternity then it shouldn't be that hard.

No excuses when over the years you more regularly than need be do not get the first four correct.

jum, RIO likes this post.

edited May 2020

Haha it’s not a hard job!!!

Comment of the year that one...

Well compared to sweeping streets I guess it does have a particular skillset. However, remembering a few colours, numbers and names is not a prerequisite for NASA
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    What a completely disrespectful statement, one which deserves sweeping condemnation. Such simplistic generalising is breathtaking. A pity one George Ned Grljusich wasn't around to macerate and pulverise your silly, silly statement.
  • NevershowsurpriseNevershowsurprise    995 posts
    edited May 2020
    I’d like to see the blackjack dealer do it....
  • theduketheduke    284 posts
    Anyone that thinks it’s easy has zero clue.

JimmyPop likes this post.

Yes only rocket scientist need apply. To the blackjack comment, that's not hard at all

RIO likes this post.

• FlandersFlanders    1,197 posts
    Damien Wyer you must dislike dmac to be sledging him like this. Fair enough to say that he needs to improve in some aspects of his craft but to bag him like you are is sh!thouse form in my opinion. I firmly believe that being a racecaller would be a very difficult job and for 95% of his job DMac does a really good job. If he could get better at calling the 1-2-3 and quickly getting on with the rest of it he would be right up there with the best because his colour and excitement is good.
    #hatersgonnahate

detonator, JimmyPop, JayJay, Rex, LETSDOTHIS, therealkramer likes this post.

RIO dislikes this post.

• LETSDOTHISLETSDOTHIS    298 posts
    Was far from Darrens best day, but he’s a great caller in a tough gig

JimmyPop, Rex likes this post.

• AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts
    Is the broadcast box in a bad position at Belmont because Darren rarely has a go at picking the winner in a close photo?

You would think hes been calling there for years he would have some idea.

RIO likes this post.

• RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    DMac should be compared to other racecallers. Other racecallers are far better at getting the first 4 across the line correct. DMac is hopeless at this compared to other racecallers who call metropolitan meetings.

Thunderstruck, Gilgamesh, RIO likes this post.

Exactly right.This was highlighted yesterday with not spotting Gatting running 4th in the live run on, he either looks back afterwards or takes a guess on a glimpse he may have had at the finish and it's been an issue for a long time.
  • jumjum    3,512 posts

Geraldton race 2 :-j

I reckon he backed Scenic Charm. Just call the race, not what you think is going to happen.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    thunder, remember d mac and tivers had 3 in the the race same colours only different caps. maybe he got a bit mixed up.
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    But they all finished in the top 5

Thunderstruck likes this post.

Yeh I was gonna say that very thing hash lol thought I'd let it slide..never mind.
    I have decided its a non potting Dmac weekend for me.

brady likes this post.

• bradybrady    1,452 posts
    Dmac
    Is a old war horse who has been around for years,
    Every year he cops **** from punters about his calls
    Even death Threats ? 
    Don't know him personally but what a tough Gig,
    Its easy in hindsight to pot him,
    But don't think any race caller around Aust gets it right every time ?
    Just Saying .

thefalcon likes this post.

oldhendo dislikes this post.

brady said:

Dmac

Is a old war horse who has been around for years,
    Every year he cops **** from punters about his calls
    Even death Threats ? 
    Don't know him personally but what a tough Gig,
    Its easy in hindsight to pot him,
    But don't think any race caller around Aust gets it right every time ?
    Just Saying .

Agree mate, it would be a bloody hard gig to get right- whether it be remembering and getting correct 99.5% of runners every meeting, describing the race with colour, calling the finish and then the after-race stuff (not to mention having a voice that sounds ok on radio).
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    What a bunch of softcocks on this site these days.

DMac is un-defendable. Has been for years!!! After so long in the top job he should be able to do it with one eye shut, juggle 4 balls and whistling dixie.

Its not a hard job if you've been doing it for as long as he has. It'd be an extremely hard job for me, as a colour blind old bastard who is about 80% blind...but not for DMAC.

His time to move on was about 6 or 7 years ago, but like all us gracefully aging individuals he will ( and so he should) hold on until someone sacks him.

Now the CEO has finally found someone to give him a real job, the protections  of some of the dead wood in the system may be cleaned out. We can only hope DMac is one of them.

Thunderstruck, oldhendo likes this post.

Flanders dislikes this post.

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    edited June 2020
    Rodent said:

DMac should be compared to other racecallers. Other racecallers are far better at getting the first 4 across the line correct. DMac is hopeless at this compared to other racecallers who call metropolitan meetings.

Which others? Most of them absolutely put you to sleep with their monotone calls. Even Matt Hill, who everyone loves, spoiled Winx's last two Cox Plates trying to immortalise his calls. D Mac is certainly up there with our best after Matt Hill & Flindell. Darren has improved a lot since returning from HK...and he had to considering he was replacing Mark Shean.
    RIO said:

What a bunch of softcocks on this site these days.

DMac is un-defendable. Has been for years!!! After so long in the top job he should be able to do it with one eye shut, juggle 4 balls and whistling dixie.

Its not a hard job if you've been doing it for as long as he has. It'd be an extremely hard job for me, as a colour blind old bastard who is about 80% blind...but not for DMAC.

His time to move on was about 6 or 7 years ago, but like all us gracefully aging individuals he will ( and so he should) hold on until someone sacks him.

Now the CEO has finally found someone to give him a real job, the protections  of some of the dead wood in the system may be cleaned out. We can only hope DMac is one of them.

Rio, what makes a forum a forum? Debate, differences of opinion etc etc... Just because I half-defend Dmac doesn't mean i don't bag plenty of others if i see fit. Which i do....
    I openly bag someone for winning a race illegally via excess whip use and i get slammed, big deal, that's the risk you take.
    It's my opinion and i stand by it.
    If that makes me a soft cock then our definitions of soft cock is clearly poles apart.
    If you want one way traffic then being an active member of a "forum" maybe isn't for you
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Best caller is Hilton donaldson, he used to call absolutely stinking drunk. One day he missed 2 starts, called wrong horses, bagging people.... all in a couple of calls. Bloody funny stuff

Thunderstruck, theduke, JimmyPop, Manchild likes this post.

• BucksBucks    158 posts
    I would love to see DMacs facilities compared to those of his eastern states counterparts.

For those potting DMac if he was to retire who else is there that's ready to fill his shoes? For me he is the number 1 race caller in WA by the length of the straight.

Flanders, LETSDOTHIS, Thunderstruck likes this post.