In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 38 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    edited June 2020

Did anyone cop the finish of Race 4 at Wentworth Park dogs tonight?

Wow!

Bloody hell did that boy launch late or what ..and took a split doing so wow alright! Thanks for pointing that out mate.
    I try to never punt on the dogs(lol yeh right)but I have blackbooked that dog because I want to watch him race again and hopefully replicate a run like that.

P.s he is gonna hurt a competitor if he runs up one's arse mid launch going at that speed :D

VillageKid likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Just on the recent passing of westburn grant ----horse that held the fastest mile rate  in the orginal miracle mile first 29 runnings , until they changed the distance to 1760m.then later shifted it to menagle. quite a few super horses in the list.

Located a story written concerning  Kevin Newman views on mount eden a day before his mile win.Mount Eden had trialed terrible on the Tuesday,leading into the race.

MOUNT EDEN FASTEST HORSE.
                                WILL THREATEN HALWES
                                MIRACLE MILE RECORD.

Sydney's top trotting driver Kevin Newman tonight tipped Mount Eden  to seriously threaten Halwes race and track record. Newman does not have a drive in the event but in 1968 he drove Halwes to his record breaking 1-58.3/5 win in the miracle mile.  He said ' for sheer speed  I've never seen anything like Mount Eden---he's the fastest horse ever.

Newman added ---On natural ability Mount Eden has to win but there is a doubt about him getting around the first turn.---He will beat them for sure if his anywhere near them with a half a mile to go -----you can't hang back in  a miracle mile ,and I have no doubt Jack Miles will take off a fair way from home.----He will put the pressure on them and if Mount Eden is the same horse he was in n.z..I'm very much afraid he will  seriously threaten old Halwes record.

The affect Mount Eden had on people in that period ….Newman the greatest horse he was associated with Halwes  just checked  he had 63 starts 45 wins Newman had driven the Tasmania in most of his main land wins..  Probably the most unluckiest  horse not to win a inters after a series had started.----after winning three heats in effortless fashion and scr from the final in n.z.----he had the same lameness issues in perth after two rounds of heats which he had finished second, the previous year.was scratched prior to the third round of heats.

Markovina, VillageKid likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Just watched the replay at Race 4 - at Wenty - thanks for bringing it to our attention 

Outstanding - exciting - and how good was the call - added to the excitement 

Havent folowed/bet on the dogs for years - but it did braeak 30 seconds - which is normally a decent run at Wentworth Park 

That finish to that race - should be all over their marketing/promotion - attract new players to their sport 

Thunderstruck, VillageKid, JayJay likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    edited June 2020
    Outstanding for sure, I watched a few of his runs always flops out last and often floods home late but that is seemingly his best effort..and was first up too off a spell! Could win in top grades this prep, obviously needs luck so wont always be able to dodge traffic.

Your 100% spot on Marko, better race footage to promo their sport you will not find...

VillageKid, savethegame likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Im not usually a dogs watcher but even I was astonished with that scintillating finishing burst after watching it last night.
    The dogs up front were not going slow or really slowing down but Good Juan was just finishing at nearly 5 to their 1.
    He looks like he has a huge long stride on him, and as JJ posted he really was only getting warm up the straight.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts

The affect Mount Eden had on people in that period ….Newman the greatest horse he was associated with Halwes  just checked  he had 63 starts 45 wins Newman had driven the Tasmania in most of his main land wins..  Probably the most unluckiest  horse not to win a inters after a series had started.----after winning three heats in effortless fashion and scr from the final in n.z.----he had the same lameness issues in perth after two rounds of heats which he had finished second, the previous year.was scratched prior to the third round of heats.
    Was very fortunate to see Halwes race at GP, he was a magnificent individual. Never started racing until he was 4 and he set the Australian record (1.57.6) and won the Miracle Mile (1.58.6) when he was 9 years old. But for those damned quarter cracks, he wins at least one Inters, if not two. Stood at stud over here for a while  but he was a flop, his best being On The Mat which was bred by old Bill Whitfield up at Merredin from his grand producer Cambodia. He was a flop over east as well, which was very surprising given he was a son of Nephew Hal (Hal Dale) and his dam Desmouth was bred by Edgar Tatlow on the almost bullet proof cross of Raider and Globe Derby. Desmouth's full brother was Floodlight who won a Hunter Cup, 3rd in the Inters Final, genuine star. A lot of Halwes horses were bad gaited buggars, at least the two we had were awful going things.

VillageKid, Gilgamesh, savethegame likes this post.

Major Freeway was quite impressive in winning on debut at Pinjarra today.
    It is hard to get a good gauge on their size from the Sky vision but gee he looks a big fella.

JayJay likes this post.

Huge horse, big win..... great old colonial family with all the "Alfa" (Freeway) horses of Cass Haese, and going right back to the big Bintravis horses....Bin Oro for those who remember also from this family.

VillageKid, squid69 likes this post.

JayJay said:

Huge horse, big win..... great old colonial family with all the "Alfa" (Freeway) horses of Cass Haese, and going right back to the big Bintravis horses....Bin Oro for those who remember also from this family.

Cheers JJ, I love hearing the family connections down the line. I do remember Alfa Freeway a very smart mare back in the 1980s.
    Alfa Freeway is the 3rd dam....dozens of winners in the family....Scanio, Motobucchi, Travis Arania, Parading Frost, Bin Oro and about 15 "Alfa" horses.

VillageKid, squid69 likes this post.

• MorganJamesMorganJames    175 posts
    Surely the drive on Rebel with a grin deserves 6 weeks on the sidelines!!
    Cant possibly be any excuse for the drive 

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Alfa King & Alfa Prince both out of Mabel Rose a daughter of Alfa Courageous both won at Northam last friday for Shane Young

VillageKid, PackedMetalPanda, JayJay likes this post.

• Cant_RefuseCant_Refuse    198 posts
    edited June 2020

Hall Jnr never seems to get 6 weeks when he spits the dummy and drives like Ryan just did. I reckon I can count at least 4 drives of hall juniors of a similar nature within the past year and I pretty sure he only got very minimal time for one of them
  • Cant_RefuseCant_Refuse    198 posts
    edited June 2020
    But yes he does deserve time for that drive, I was just stating that hall junior has driven in a very similar way and got away with it. Just thought I’d clarify that before I get my head bitten off
  • MorganJamesMorganJames    175 posts
    Totally Agree 
    When no action is taken early on in the piece  the same totally unacceptable drives will continually happen.
    The punter is the one who always cops it.
    I am a punter who loves competitive racing but within reason..

Cant_Refuse likes this post.

• ThepluckygamblerThepluckygambler    66 posts
    edited June 2020
    I’m going to be in the minority here but I do love the aggressive driving. Not putting someone at risk kind of aggressive but the odd bump and play on is preferable to the passive Boat races we see. I loved the wars in Sydney between Lauren Panella and ? Just can’t think of the name. Mach Alert I’m pretty sure was involved in a few.
  • BetonmeBetonme    209 posts

But yes he does deserve time for that drive, I was just stating that hall junior has driven in a very similar way and got away with it. Just thought I’d clarify that before I get my head bitten off

Thought one of the interesting stewards decisions was last weeks conclusion, Hall ran his horse into Johns, got two weeks. 
    Woodley ran his horse into Hall got 4 weeks. 
    Both dangerous acts, and should of got the same penalty IMO. 

On the flip-side of yesterday, how huge was Disco Under Fire. Probably career best even though lost. Giles does an amazing job with some cast offs. 

Cant_Refuse, VillageKid likes this post.

• 2lifetimewinners2lifetimewinners    508 posts

Stewards have set the standard with Jr Getting 3 weeks for his drive on Sir Galahad when he took on Im Better Than Gooda in Feb. I would imagine 6 weeks would be too harsh.
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    I see stewards opened an inquiry into the drive and adjourned to a time and date to  be advised
  • AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts

Stewards have set the standard with Jr Getting 3 weeks for his drive on Sir Galahad when he took on Im Better Than Gooda in Feb. I would imagine 6 weeks would be too harsh.
    And 3 weeks for S McDonald at Pinjarra when he pleaded guilty on Master Publisher
  • KTQKTQ    319 posts

Major Freeway was quite impressive in winning on debut at Pinjarra today.

It is hard to get a good gauge on their size from the Sky vision but gee he looks a big fella.

Major Freeway is over 17hh but Ill measure him one of these days. Id go out on a limb and says that he's the biggest standardbred in WA, bigger even than Robshaw, and he becomes a giraffe when it comes time to put the bridle on

Lucky the favourite galloped in that race - it put up a gallant run

JayJay, VillageKid, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    R6 tonight Twentynine Twelve is a horse I've always had a bit of time for and was very solid first run for the new stable. Obviously the fav is almost impossible to beat and Twentynine Twelve doesn't look to get a clear trip that can present it with an easy run in to the placings but I thought Voak might do something early on Our Virtuoso that could at least put a bit of pace in to it and with $18 a place being available after the boost I have to have something on the 8, If it runs to my expectations I wont be able to get anywhere near that again.

Good luck anyone having a punt.

Was in the process of posting how I was looking forward to watching 3 very promising pacers here in WA tonight at GP in Jett Star, To Fast To Serious & Magnificent Storm and then Jett Star breaks just after the start, but was still able to recover and just hold out the fast finishing SeeRyanFly.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    Gilgamesh said:

R6 tonight Twentynine Twelve is a horse I've always had a bit of time for and was very solid first run for the new stable. Obviously the fav is almost impossible to beat and Twentynine Twelve doesn't look to get a clear trip that can present it with an easy run in to the placings but I thought Voak might do something early on Our Virtuoso that could at least put a bit of pace in to it and with $18 a place being available after the boost I have to have something on the 8, If it runs to my expectations I wont be able to get anywhere near that again.

Good luck anyone having a punt.

Good donation from me.

Magnificent Storm, what an animal. Bet the big races can't come quick enough for connections.

• capguncapgun    25 posts
    How was Jett star not put out of the draw? Stewards report sheds no light...
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    This has got nothing to do with trotting at all - but todays West Australian ( and alot of people dont read it these days thats why im posting the story ) but the story ( page 3 i think ) of little Sprockets an  - innocent little dog with a lovely picture of it - it is the funniest thing ive read in a long time 

In a nutshell - 2 sets of neighbours ( mainly women) they didnt get on - friction caused by little Sprockets sneaking into the other neighbours yard . Anyhow that other yard - they were celebrating their Great Grandmothers 80th birthday -  when little Sprockets has snuck in - and  " allegedly " eaten the birthday cake - at which point there was an all in brawl amongst the women 

No one really got hurt - it went to court and they got fined
    Exactly why no one reads it Marko, it is a dreadful excuse of a paper. Page 3 news is a brawl over a birthday cake in Orelia????? At least it displaced the usual page 3 drivel about some unheard of reality TV "star" having recently had her nails done.

Yilgarna likes this post.

• 2lifetimewinners2lifetimewinners    508 posts
    capgun said:

I think the stewards report sums it up nicely.

Generally if its a horses first offence (and I will stand corrected) if you have 1 indescretion you normally get a warning first, then ODM
  • capguncapgun    25 posts

capgun said:

Actually they don’t give warnings anymore. The stewards report basically said due to the horses intractability it blew it. Can’t see how there is a grey area there

Generally if its a horses first offence (and I will stand corrected) if you have 1 indescretion you normally get a warning first, then ODM

• BetonmeBetonme    209 posts

capgun said:

Not commenting on Jett Star. 
    But I had a horse recently break for the first time, and got put ODM. So I don't think they get warnings now.