Who's Online

0 Members & 32 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Gilgamesh said:

Yilgarna said:

Changing direction a bit, one of the real disappointments for me in recent times is the apparent lack of marketing for free entry on Friday nights at GP. I haven't seen anything, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but their website saying that it's still $12 for adults is not a good look. I think GP a missing a golden opportunity, particularly with no local Friday night footy to compete with. 

Had no idea it was free entry

It has been free entry at GP on Friday nights since we came back from the Covid 3 month break mate.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

• AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts

Gilgamesh said:

Yilgarna said:

Changing direction a bit, one of the real disappointments for me in recent times is the apparent lack of marketing for free entry on Friday nights at GP. I haven't seen anything, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but their website saying that it's still $12 for adults is not a good look. I think GP a missing a golden opportunity, particularly with no local Friday night footy to compete with. 

It has been free entry at GP on Friday nights since we came back from the Covid 3 month break mate.
    Has anything ever been mentioned on racing radio?
    AbbysAce said:

Gilgamesh said:

Yilgarna said:

I havent heard it promoted at all I must say?!
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    AbbysAce said:

Gilgamesh said:

Yilgarna said:

I listen to breakfast most mornings including the harness previews Monday Tuesday and Friday and then Sport FM most of the day and haven’t heard it on Tab radio or advertised to sport FM (where I think it would make sense to advertise it). Doesn’t mean it hasn’t been on there though I may have just tuned out

VillageKid likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Sir Ernest kicks a long goal....American Colt at $24.70. Clearly the best or second best chance in the race, drifts from $8.50 to $24.70 and Ernie all over it like a cheap suit with his tip in this mornings paper. Nostradamous type assistance with the fave bubbling (not for the first time)  from 1 but $4.40 the place American Colt was very generous, Deni Roberts driving like a jet.

VillageKid, Gilgamesh likes this post.

Well done Ernie....but gee I am staggered about that price as I totally agree with JJ's assessment of him in that field.
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Very happy connection race 1 winning post.
    Gotta laugh awesome.

• JayJay said:

Sir Ernest kicks a long goal....American Colt at $24.70. Clearly the best or second best chance in the race, drifts from $8.50 to $24.70 and Ernie all over it like a cheap suit with his tip in this mornings paper. Nostradamous type assistance with the fave bubbling (not for the first time)  from 1 but $4.40 the place American Colt was very generous, Deni Roberts driving like a jet.

They call her Deni Rockets

Constantlybroke, JayJay, VillageKid likes this post.

• JayJay said:

Any coincidence her driving improvement has come after her stable change?

JayJay said:

Any coincidence her driving improvement has come after her stable change?

Driving better horses always helps!

cisco, VillageKid, freodockers likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    A couple of posters ( definitely  not me ) given their track record - could have suggested that Curly Warwick  was driving in the fast class 12k race 8 at Mildura last night 
  • getthechangegetthechange    310 posts

RWWA yesterday announced sectional times policy - under stewards wrap

not sure how to post the link

I reckon ive seen the biggest  improvement in a horse ever tonight at Melton 

Loorrim Lake in a very good 3 year old race at Melton - 1st start for Emma Stewart - last start at Mildura 4/9/20 - so she has had the horse 3 weeks max to put  her polish on it 

Quickest it went at Mildura for 2200 is 2.00 mile rate - pretty similar to Northam - re the Mildura times - so 2.00 is nothing flash . Prior to Mildura - it raced at Wagga - just a horse their - no flash times  

Tonight backed from $61 to $6.50 sits the last last 3 wide without cover and walks in 1.55.2 for 2240 metres  54.9  last half mile . Its overall mile rate was only half a second than the champ Lochinvar Art in the previous race 

Loorim Lake i reckon that horse has improved by 50-60 metres incredible - amazing 
  • Ivorytrunkey86Ivorytrunkey86    204 posts
    What are the opinions of the sectionals policy? I read today Aldo and Ryan got fined $100 for going to slow.interested to here people’s views.

What are the opinions of the sectionals policy? I read today Aldo and Ryan got fined $100 for going to slow.interested to here people’s views.

Should be dining every other driver in the race for allowing it

sonny, VillageKid likes this post.

• sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    Exactly Gilga... 
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    If all races except the obvious exceptions were handicapped with a PBD disadvantaging the best horses in the race then the natural race pattern that developed would make the scrutiny of sectionals redundant in 99% of races. It's probably a time consuming burden stewards  and drivers don't need in assessing races....they will spend their time arguing over10ths of a second and causal circumstances.  The predominant RBD increases the walk - dash home up the straight style because the best horses draw the best barriers more often ...exacerbated when there is multi stable runners.
    PBD should be the given it largely is in the NR system in any case... it is the only form of "handicapping" available in mobile racing.

JayJay, Gilgamesh, VillageKid, TrackBias likes this post.

edited September 2020
    Promises to become the Harness equivalent of the holding the ball interpretation. Already some variation to its application, not that I am fundamentally opposed to the idea.

RAKASINC NZ – Stewards refrained from taking action against Driver E.
    Suvaljko for failing to adhere to the minimum time standards when
    recording the first quarter of the last mile in 32.3 seconds which is
    outside the allowed 32.0 seconds.  In taking this action Stewards took
    into account the faster than average lead time and the small margin
    outside the time allowed.

The sooner the group barrier draw PBD nonsense that is constantly presented as the "correct  policy setting" (and that anyone who opposes it is by implication or definition a befuddled old dodderer) is thrown out, the better our racing will be.In so many instances, the Group PBD becomes a RBD when horses in the same band are the final acceptors. And yet, hand on their hearts, they say that that is "the way it goes, get over it".

VillageKid, curmudgeon, TrackBias likes this post.

edited September 2020
    If you have to implement a rule for drivers going to slowly then clearly your races aren’t competitive enough. Instead of fining drivers for going as slow as the race allows them to go why not look at why this is occurring in the first place?
    Pretty sure this or similar rule was implemented many years ago before PBD, RBD, HWOE etc etc. it’s the same stuff being reinvented.
    32 minimum qtr I would have thought more like 30 second minimum qtr otherwise why bother.
    We still have a 800 mtr track as our main venue and drivers will take advantage whenever they can. 32 seconds won’t change anything.
  • AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts

Pretty sure this or similar rule was implemented many years ago before PBD, RBD, HWOE etc etc. it’s the same stuff being reinvented.
    32 minimum qtr I would have thought more like 30 second minimum qtr otherwise why bother.
    We still have a 800 mtr track as our main venue and drivers will take advantage whenever they can. 32 seconds won’t change anything.

If you pinch a quarter and win the race, Im sure the owners will be happy to pay the fine.
    Almost a year to the day SJ on Bejewelled $81 winner GP.
    Not a strong field tonight most will be falling over themselves to run a place.
    Second up from spell, worth a ew shot at odds of 100.
    JayJay said:

Promises to become the Harness equivalent of the holding the ball interpretation. Already some variation to its application, not that I am fundamentally opposed to the idea.

RAKASINC NZ – Stewards refrained from taking action against Driver E.
    Suvaljko for failing to adhere to the minimum time standards when
    recording the first quarter of the last mile in 32.3 seconds which is
    outside the allowed 32.0 seconds.  In taking this action Stewards took
    into account the faster than average lead time and the small margin
    outside the time allowed.

MONDOOLEY MACH (Jamie Rigoli) – Driver fined the sum of $100 under
    R162(1)(y) for failing to adhere to the minimum prescribed time of 32.0
    for a quarter, with the first quarter being run in 32.4, whilst
    MONDOOLEY MACH was leading the event.

Regardless of stakemoney (city stake or midweek/provincial/community), the offending driver is liable for a $100 fine....depending on interpretation.

Every week there is a summary of winning and losing bets in Victoria on harness website.
    Probably the biggest successful bet in history from memory 60s into 6s on Saturday night at Melton as Marko pointed out but nothing mentioned anywhere of the plunge
    I note in the stewards report for the race the betting activity is being reviewed as it probably should be. However that’s it.
    Curious to know what the collect would have been.
    Any suggestions.

Every week there is a summary of winning and losing bets in Victoria on harness website.
    Probably the biggest successful bet in history from memory 60s into 6s on Saturday night at Melton as Marko pointed out but nothing mentioned anywhere of the plunge
    I note in the stewards report for the race the betting activity is being reviewed as it probably should be. However that’s it.
    Curious to know what the collect would have been.
    Any suggestions.

It is very hard to tell as there isnt a time frame for when it shortened, was only one market open and they knocked the price off early etc.

My understanding is in Vic there is a minimum bet law similar to the NSW/Vic gallops must take a certain size bet after 9.30am, cant recall the level or the time though
    That horse that was heavily backed at Melton - i see in the stewards report with the swab - they are also took hair samples of that horse - and also Bomb Suit ( the fave trained by C Cross - blew like north wind - led and stopped as if  shot - got beaten about 100 metres 

Zennart also trained by C Cross was another shocking run - eventually  led (horse point blank refused to cross and lead ) and it got beaten over 100 metres 

Its interesting re the hair analysis - and im not for one second saying  that this is the case here - but i was reading a while back that from hair analysis swabs they cant detect illegal drug use given to that horse for the past 2 years . The article i read said - particularly with Show jumping horses - when their is a sale - the buyer will insist on a hair analysis swab 
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Would have trouble hair testing me Marko ....last one disappeared circa 1985

Hair testing can detect previous administration of a huge number of substances, some illegal, others therapeutic, that can be administered perfectly legally within time limits that apply. What the hair testing can't do, as I understand it, is "date" when the substances were administered. For example, a trainer may for perfectly legitimate reasons administer an anti inflammatory post race and well inside the elapsed time before the horse races again....it will blood and urine test negative when it next races but a hair analysis would identify that the horse had received the treatment....just not when it was administered. Strictly banned substances with no "windows" such as anabolic steroids however would show up and be identified. I think this is what they go after with the competition show jumpers and is also utilised with yearling sales purchases.....in fact, there is an argument for all yearlings to be hair tested prior to being sold. A number of purchasers have no doubt bought yearlings from non reputable breeders,  who looked superb, only for them to "shrink" over time when taken to their new home.

Markovina, VillageKid likes this post.

From the HRV Website:

"While there were some hearty five-figure wins, it was the value hunters
    that stole the headlines this week as Loorim Lake tumbled with a
    succession of plays, including a $200 bet that won almost $4000."

$250 each-way at $9.50/$2.50 on Loorrim Lake (Tabcorp Park Melton Race 7 on September 26 – Won)

$200 at $6.50 on Loorrim Lake (Tabcorp Park Melton Race 7 on September 26)  ** three separate bets **

$135 at $13 on Loorrim Lake (Tabcorp Park Melton Race 7 on September 26)

$100 each-way at $34/$5 on Loorrim Lake (Tabcorp Park Melton Race 7 on September 26 – Won)

Would have trouble hair testing me Marko ....last one disappeared circa 1985

So Curmudge which one where you  - of that famed partnership of Brute Bernard  and Skull Murphy

They were a great combo - when i might say with some embarrassment  that World Championship Wrestling was a " Must Watch "