In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 18 Non Members

WAFL 2020

Sport

Comments

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    spinking said:

Good to see the black ducks win something this year. Congratulations to Sam Fisher on his Sandover win. Obviously had a very good year to win the medal when his team won only a couple of games

Very good player Spink classy left footer.
    Hopefully we can keep him at the Black Ducks for a while to come.

And on the WAFL GF what a complete joke to hold our Premier State League's football GF at Fremantle Oval where they are only allowing 7000 real fans in plus about 3000 freeloading WAFC workers and a few corporates as well!
    Thus turning away more than 15,000 grassroots footy supporters from attending....just when you thought the bloody WAFC could not get more incompetent this decision comes along! 

goose, spinking likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Just open the gates I say !

goose likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Commandant McGowan will not like a comment like the above :P
  • goosegoose    1,628 posts

spinking said:

Good to see the black ducks win something this year. Congratulations to Sam Fisher on his Sandover win. Obviously had a very good year to win the medal when his team won only a couple of games

Very good player Spink classy left footer.
    Hopefully we can keep him at the Black Ducks for a while to come.

And on the WAFL GF what a complete joke to hold our Premier State League's football GF at Fremantle Oval where they are only allowing 7000 real fans in plus about 3000 freeloading WAFC workers and a few corporates as well!
    Thus turning away more than 15,000 grassroots footy supporters from attending....just when you thought the bloody WAFC could not get more incompetent this decision comes along! 
    I like the Fremantle Oval option but they need to get the capacity up to at least 13 or 14k should be great atmosphere ridiculous how quick these tickets sold out also kids $5 no way so if your parents are quick on the computer they get you in cheap.
    Put the prices up with discounts for Members
    Would love to attend a final at Steel Blue or Lathlain next year hope so both are not that far off coming good if Demons hang onto current side and add Yeo and Byrne and Taylor (needs guidance)  should be right amongst it.
    Swannies looked good in last few rounds maybe grab a couple more out of VFL while they are struggling.
    Got tix !

goose likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,630 posts
    Absurd call not to use the Stadium, WAFC plumbs new depths.

Player wise, Bennell, Hogan, Crouch and Stengle possibly available. Coach and admin wise, should be a few WAFC folk looking for a gig, maybe not Dorrington, who stunningly still believes he should retain his place on the Commission.

VillageKid, jum likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Apart from the numbers situation what about the home ground advantage. The pitch from the Fremantle council and the club must of had appeal. Would of Claremont had any say in the decision?. From what I have heard it was a financial decision not to play at Optus. They have played the WAFL final there since the stadium has been built. As Diva said if they can't accomodate a crowd that would have been possibly upward of 20000 like last year without a loss what is the point. Has the stadium upped its price for use only in the last year, for them to come to this decision. Claremont must be getting a good deal out of it to put up with what one would think to be a massive home ground advantage
    If this was say a SD vs Perth or EP GF where you could expect a crowd of close to 40,000 would it still be at Fremantle or another suburban venue that holds only 10,000?
    There would be a riot in the Eastern Suburbs if it wasnt held at Optus Stadium!

JayJay likes this post.

If this was say a SD vs Perth or EP GF where you could expect a crowd of close to 40,000 would it still be at Fremantle or another suburban venue that holds only 10,000?

There would be a riot in the Eastern Suburbs if it wasnt held at Optus Stadium!
    Yer true they would probably have to hold the grand final at Optus the problem has generally been because Subiaco has been in the final for the last decade sapping alot of interest.
    Would be interested to see from a financial side what the crowds generate at Fremantle Oval compared to Optus where there is a cast of thousands working.
    Goose I love Bassendean Oval and it is probably the best WAFL ground (bar the surface which is not good atm) but it should never hold a WAFL Grand Final.
    The GF should always be held at our biggest and best ground that being Optus Stadium (previously at Subiaco Oval) so that as many punters as possible are able to attend the event.
    It also gives the event some prestige that is lost playing it at a dilapidated ground such as Fremantle which has bugger all seating, little to no shelter from the sun or rain as I can vouch for just from Sundays Preliminary Final and demeans the product.
    As for Lathlain Park now that the WCE have built their big barn down one third of the ground plus the outer wing southern flank has no room it would only hold 4000 tops now, not to mention the lack of parking since they removed the large car park for the WCE second oval plus and this is the most embarrassing part it no longer even has a permanent scoreboard or timeclock anymore when we played there they had a cheap portable thing you can barely see on the back of a rusted out old Toyota ute!

JayJay, spinking, savethegame likes this post.

Looking very
    Much forward to it and so much happier it’s at Freo than Stadium - despite that being the oppositions home ground.
    Atmosphere should be sensational !
    Plus all the extra events set up around the ground, pubs, restaurants etc all short walk away.

Thunderstruck likes this post.

How is it fair that as a diehard WAFL supporter who has been there every week this season and virtually all since 1980, and every GF for the last 40 years I cant go this season just because the only 7000 tickets allocated were snapped up by competing teams members?
    There would not be this issue if it was held at our world class stadium that was supposedly built and paid for by WA taxpayers (all $1.5 billion) to hold all major sporting events here in Perth WA! 
    The WAFL GF is still easily the biggest WA based sporting competition/event and yet 15-20,000 people will be unable to attend it this year its being held at the 1900s standard Fremantle Oval.

oldhendo, JayJay, cisco, TheDiva, spinking likes this post.

2000-3000 more tix on sale Friday 09:00 apparently

Gilgamesh likes this post.

Tivers said:

2000-3000 more tix on sale Friday 09:00 apparently

Yes there were but 3 website crashes later and among the tens of thousands demand I managed to snaffle a ticket.
    This disaster should be avoided at all costs in future by holding the WAFL GF at a suitable venue and the only one in WA is Optus Stadium!

cisco likes this post.

Will report back on Monday this could go down as a great experience at a packed Fremantle Oval something that wouldnt be possible at Optus Stadium but I understand where you are coming from needs to be reconfigured to hold more.
    Having a ticket - I certainly prefer Freo Oval.
    See how it pans out I guess (how many missed out).
  • ciscocisco    805 posts
    edited October 2020
    Would have to be in my top 5 grand finals ever!! Pity there had to be a loser. Full credit to both clubs!! Was fortunate to watch it over here via the live stream on channel 7.

What a great advertisement for footy in WA.
    And I was correct - atmosphere (Freo in general) made up for the restricted crowd size - despite the result.
    Way to go......
    @cisco yes was a great contest between the 2 teams.
    I thought for SF Zac Strom played the game of his life, Schloithe as always was very productive in the midfield, Rioli although not his best game this year just shows so much of that famous SF name's class, Higgins really lifted in the 2nd half and used his strength to gain centre clearances for his team, whilst for CL Alec Waterman should be back on an afl list next season just such a powerful young footballer, Bolton was huge in the midfield especially when his offsider Kane Mitchell went down with a shoulder injury and was incapacitated afterward.

Hopefully next season is back to normal and we get a full home and away season in with the GF back at Optus Stadium giving the event the prestige and honour it deserves at a 2020 standard venue not 1920!
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Congratulations to the Bulldogs but disgraceful behavior from the crowd when Bolton was awarded the Simpson Medal. 

There is no rule to say that the winner has to come from the winning team. A 3 point margin and he was clearly the best player on the ground.

cisco, VillageKid likes this post.

edited October 2020

Congratulations to the Bulldogs but disgraceful behavior from the crowd when Bolton was awarded the Simpson Medal. 

There is no rule to say that the winner has to come from the winning team. A 3 point margin and he was clearly the best player on the ground.
    Yes that was poor form Chariots but at least the SF fans kept the billiard balls on the table this time around so to speak!
    Once again though the set up at the Premiership medal/cup presentations was very amateurish befitting of the venue!
  • JayJayJayJay    7,630 posts
    Yes, no expense spared on the 6 square metre presentation dais and the presenter on these occasions should play a straight bat, not the blokey, nick name calling, name dropping and running commentary about who he thought had a good game of tried hard or whatever. You see, it's not all about the presenter, it's about conducting the events in a dignified manner befitting the occasion. The sooner it goes back to the stadium the better, no sign of social distancing of any sort, I imagine the portallo's would have been in fine condition by days end many people missed out and quite frankly, a good game was conducted at an amateur hour level and venue. Channel Stokes kept talking up the venue, the atmosphere etc all day, nauseating actually, but it makes sense, the ratings would have been up because 15 to 20 thousand potential fans were cut out of attending. The booing of Bolton was extremely poor as well. Strom definitely worth a look from an AFL club wanting a player of his type.

VillageKid likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    A good contest but an awful watch of stoppage after stoppage.
    Happy the bulldogs won as I’m a lifetime fan, but Claremont played better overall I thought. Miller won us the game when it counted with 2 or 3 big pack marks
    Claremont blew it first quarter.
    Dominated possession, but didn't put any score on the board from it.

As for venue - even as a Claremont supporter I'm 100% for retaining Freo Oval as the venue.
    Don't see any upside in Perth Stadium other than a larger capacity - but remember can fit double the crown in at Freo non COVID restrictions.

Was a carnival atmosphere (whole of Freo) befitting the event, whereas at the Stadium it gets lost.
    Tivers how could you possibly expect to hold a WAFL GF contested by SD, EP, WP or Perth at the prehistoric Fremantle Oval?
    It would not hold enough for a start.
    It is a mile away for those supporters to travel too.
    There is no seating whatsoever other than in a grandstand situated a mile from the playing field and even then they plonked a screen in front of that so only half could see the actual field or if you want to take a chance sitting on concrete slabs in the baking hot sun that have been there since Bernie Naylor was in the Colts.
    Please...the WAFL GF should always be held at Optus Stadium, I have been to the last 40 GF's and Sundays was the worst experience of the lot, very uncomfortable which may have been ok in 1960 but not in 2020!

savethegame, Chariotsonfire, JayJay likes this post.

Don’t think we should make arrangements for grand finals with considerations for Perth playing in it...
    Will never happen.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    Tivers said:

Don’t think we should make arrangements for grand finals with considerations for Perth playing in it...
    Will never happen.

BOOM! have to agree with that... but disagree on the venue.
    MUST be played at Optus... why the hell have we built that stadium if its not going to host our big games? 
    i went to last year's GF at optus and it was great. Granted.. it wasnt full.... but there was still good atmosphere. 

Chariotsonfire, VillageKid likes this post.

Spot on TheDiva.

Does anyone know when the next event Optus Stadium will host will actually be?
    No International cricket for Perth this Summer, the Eastcoast holding all of the domestic cricket in hubs over there, no big concerts for the near future?
    Could it be our new $1.5 billion world class Stadium is sitting idle gathering dust and cobwebs until next footy season in late March/early April.
    At the price tag it should be utilised at every big opportunity and the WAFL GF was one just gone begging!

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,719 posts
    Spot on TheDiva.

Does anyone know when the next event Optus Stadium will host will actually be?
    No International cricket for Perth this Summer, the Eastcoast holding all of the domestic cricket in hubs over there, no big concerts for the near future?
    Could it be our new $1.5 billion world class Stadium is sitting idle gathering dust and cobwebs until next footy season in late March/early April.
    At the price tag it should be utilised at every big opportunity and the WAFL GF was one just gone begging!

Interesting just found this in an old article on the west.

The most complicated part of the agreement is around the venue hire fees charged to Fremantle and West Coast, but one scenario would have the two clubs paying $5.9 million over a season based on gross assessable revenue of $31.5 million.

Pre-season matches for AFL, women’s AFL and WAFL competitions will be exempt from hire fees.

The WAFL will not be charged to hire the stadium for its grand final.

I guess this is no longer the case.