G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 13 Non Members

That time of year...FEATURES

East Coast Racing

Comments

• PCPC    2,190 posts

The bonny mare has improved again from the autumn so i'd love to see a rematch(maybe the Queen Elizabeth or Cox Plate next year?)because she can turn the tables I reckon.

And how about giving her a bit more credit in carrying more weight to win than any mare in the last 50 years.
    Pumping up internationals tyres and letting air out of our own, whose side are you on mate :D

Id like to see VE travel. To run on the world stage would be exciting.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts

The bonny mare has improved again from the autumn so i'd love to see a rematch(maybe the Queen Elizabeth or Cox Plate next year?)because she can turn the tables I reckon.

And how about giving her a bit more credit in carrying more weight to win than any mare in the last 50 years.
    Pumping up internationals tyres and letting air out of our own, whose side are you on mate :D

I am neutral. I think global racing..not local racing. It really is as simple as that.
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts

PC said:

Id like to see VE travel. To run on the world stage would be exciting.
    She must be a front runner for HOTY already? Would obviously change if Russian Camelot goes on to win the CP or MC

Thunderstruck, PC likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Was thinking the same TRK she has to be well in front atm.
    edited October 2020
    Each to their own PC of course..personally I like to see locals win our big races and get pumped when it's one I said would clean up this spring..win lose or draw in the MC and she has still been a star this spring and for all of this year really.
    4 group 1 wins, 3 group 1 seconds(2 behind a gun european 2000m horse)and a 4th and unbeaten at 2400 in her career all 3 wins being group 1's..and she ain't done yet not even close.

Got a feeling an o/s trip may not eventuate though, read somewhere she isn't the best traveller plus Waller has form for not going down that road at all.
    By local I mean locally trained don't have an issue with horses like Russian Camelot for example I.e ex Europeans.
    Not saying they aren't deserving participants but the true visitors can mostly go n get stuffed :D except Prince Of Arran I :x him, what a beauty he is.
    His run was a ripper too poor cuzzy bro is beating himself up the last day or so I bet for jumping ship, 10 grand in percentages go begging and the alternate ride seemingly likes milk.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Australian racing is part of the world racing circuit...its open slather - as it should be

therealkramer likes this post.

Personally, I like the euros plundering the staying races. We're lucky they're prepared to travel all this way to start with and beating an Epsom Derby winner only enhances Verry Elleegant's reputation. I want to see the best, and from a punting point of view the winning dividend is just as sweet.

PC, oldhendo likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    If the internationals didn't come then races at 2000m+ would not be very good in terms of depth. I mean the very best internationals dont come anyway.
    You may think lucky I doubt most local participants, trainers and owners don't agree with that..good for our big race's reputation in the racing world I suppose.

I have minimal interest in overseas racing on a good day so I couldn't give a rat's if they all stayed home..will be cheering them hard again this year..to lose
    I see The Everest winner is going to race on in HK..and travel elsewhere

Yeh read that yesty..what I don't recall reading is Les Bridge declaring it for the past 3 months? Good luck to him not sure what he will spend.his cut on but 600 large is a decent payday.I still recall Kensei and backing it way back in '87.

Also I agreed with your comment on not being sold on the Everest concept.Cant put my finger on one thing specifically but it's a bit too "showpony" for me.
    Dollar for Dollar and maybe one or two others should not have been there also.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts

You may think lucky I doubt most local participants, trainers and owners don't agree with that..good for our big race's reputation in the racing world I suppose.

I have minimal interest in overseas racing on a good day so I couldn't give a rat's if they all stayed home..will be cheering them hard again this year..to lose

Thats fine. You and I just have different opinions

Thunderstruck likes this post.

Yep all good mate.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited October 2020
    Hey thunderstruck what about that gangly praying mantis Finche - see him again yesterday, wide and wider the whole race...has run well now in 2 Caulfield Cups and 2 Melbourne Cups, but just can't crack it, reckon this Melbourne Cup not quite as strong as the past couple...if he can get up there on speed, slowly run, he"ll keep grinding away.

Never has a horse covered more ground in Caulfield Cups and Melbourne Cups than Finche, maybe the exception that horse backed many Melbourne Cups ago - Persian Punch. It nearly had a swim in the Maribynong river went that wide.
    Finche - top 5 certainty!

One horse like for top ten finish, was going ok in the CC good spot, then fair dinkum skittled, looked good in the metropolitan - 100/1 on Tabtouch and 25/1 a drum - Mirage Dancer. Top 10 certainty!
    edited October 2020
    The Hawkes horse in the CC heavily backed...corporate's getting the foundations ready for statue if gets rolled a couple more times.

The two Australians that ran so well last year winner Vow And Declare and the unlucky Surpise Baby...

That's why they call it last year - if Vow And Declare runs top 6 will run 6 laps of Ascot. Should be 150/1.
    Was surprised when saw Damian Oliver on...get off him Ollie!

Surpise Baby hmmmm at around 8/1 - 9/1 way too short for mine.
    Honest but is he just a non winner mate? I couldn't remember the last win had to go to racenet to check his record..it was the Kingstown Town group 3 over 2000m last September.
    Top 6 chance I reckon too..some will run past him i think that's a given.
    Have gone a bit cold on Surprise Baby too dont think another kilo helps but he ran super last year..one of the better trainers around at conditioning horses on limited race preps too so I also can't dismiss him (saver bet material).
    Surprise Baby(54.5kg) will run the 3200m tho and will probably end up with 1.5-2kg less than Verry Elleegant(55kg*), who is untested over the trip. The more weight they carry, the less inclined I am to back them in the Cup, although Fiorente did run 2nd with 53.kg in '12 before winning the following year with 55kg so there is a precedent there with SB.

*penalty to be revealed Monday arvo

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited October 2020
    For sure Thunder....if ever a bookies horse it's Finche, but one more chance...the big grasshopper he's Flemington all over.

The other roughie don't mind at 25/1 is Master Of Reality. Not a bad stayer at all, interesting to see how goes after great run last year.

Was going to win 50 metres to go...relegated to 4th after protest upheld, was a very good run just the same.

The runner up in the CC should be a winning hope too.
    edited October 2020
    When saw the 8yr old Prince Of Arran a conspicuous last, thought he won't be running top 12, to finish a slashing fourth, what an effort.

Has a horse ever acclimatised so well, don't think has run a bad race here ? This is his third Cups campaign, getting on a bit, but has one thing in its favour...he's freakish!

If was a bookie I'd be laying Veery Eleegant and Surpise Baby...ouch.

If doing novelty betting on the Cup it's almost impossible to leave Prince Of Arran out, only needs a reasonable barrier, will lob along just off the speed, and keeps going.

Thunderstruck likes this post.

Verry confident she will run the trip though of course she still has to do it..consensus is not much of a penalty will be allocated off of a 55 base $-)

Does Zahra keep the ride or Jmac go back on?
    The Prince was the only horse I backed all in last year and he gave a huge sight..that 4th placing Saturday is his "worst" run in 3 campaigns here has won 2 and placed in about 3 other races..he will be in my trifecta again he is every bit as good as ever(don't forget Red Cadeaux kept turning up even at 8 I think)..live chance and not impossible he could win it and I'll cheer bigtime if he does.

I still remember the euphoria on display by the lady strapper/handler when he won the Geelong cup last year it was a special moment.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited October 2020
    Can still recall Prince Of Arran first race start here, not a cracker for him, out the gate to 25/1 and better.

Ran a ripper to grab a placing, was enormous run, and very little talk about him...the winner of that race? Yucatan....most of the media and punters had only eyes for Yucatan, if see replay Prince Of Arran his run was right up there.

Think might have been the Herbert Power Handicap, was last race of the day.

Yucatan inglorious in the Cup, and Prince Of Arran fantastic.
    Good ol Yucatan....many declaring him by how far...backed off the map...most impressive lead up run into a Melbourne Cup ever seen...end result...never gave a yelp.

Whilst Prince Of Arran unwanted in betting in his first Melbourne Cup ran a terrific placing and has buttered up again and again.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Prince Of Arran - a good honest horse. A good handicapper.

There is a reason why Prince Of Arran does well in Australia but struggles in Europe. Clear as day.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    If this happens then it would be exciting for Australian racing. I've been saying for years that the best 2000m+ in Australia should travel outside Australia.

https://www.racing.com/news/2020-10-19/news-arc-on-the-cards-for-verry-elleegant#/

Thunderstruck, therealkramer likes this post.

• tonytony    2,361 posts
    VE cops 0.5kg penalty anounced by Greg Carpenter today.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    I was spot on. I thought Verry Elleegant would get 0.5kg to 1kg weight penalty for the Melbourne Cup and Greg Carpenter issued a 0.5kg penalty. The last horse to achieve the Caulfield Cup - Melbourne Cup double was Ethereal in 2001.

Verry Elleegant's weight is now 55.5kg

PC said:

If this happens then it would be exciting for Australian racing. I've been saying for years that the best 2000m+ in Australia should travel outside Australia.

https://www.racing.com/news/2020-10-19/news-arc-on-the-cards-for-verry-elleegant#/

She loves the heavy ground too and France ain't short on that this time of year. Sadly, Winx, probably the greatest wet tracker in recent memory, never had the opportunity.